PDA

View Full Version : Stove recommendations

Mountainman95
01-17-2013, 11:00
Hey just wondering what stove is most recommended for a thru hike

Mags
01-17-2013, 11:15
Get ready to hear a bazllion answers.. ;)

My usual reply:
http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

Just remember…it is just a stove at the end of the day. Gear is the least important part of backpacking. No matter stove you use, the mountain ranges are awesome, the sunsets are grand and those wildflower blooms will be gorgeous. Take what works and enjoy! :)

DeerPath
01-17-2013, 11:24
I think most hikers use alcohol stoves because of the weight and alcohol is readily available through out the trip. But, I prefer container fuel (Isobutane/Propane) because there is very little difference in weight and you can cook much faster, e.i. boil water in 5 minutes with alcohol vs 45-60 seconds with container fuel. Container fuel is now readily available at most resupply spots. I use a Crux Stove that I attached an MSR Lighter so I don't have to carry a lighter, but I do just-in-case. The stove, fuel & spork all fit inside my Evernew Ti pot.

G-FOURce
01-17-2013, 13:16
he's right - you'll probably get a lot of hits on this one. and with that said, here is my take...

i would speculate that weight is the number one driver for who carries what stove. for me, though, i think you have to calculate in other factors in addition to weight. convenience, speed, and efficiency are measurables for me that i never discount when considering which stove to bring along on a hike. in the interest of transparency i will share that i have never even attempted a thru hike, but for multi-day trips i go back and forth on which stove i want depending on conditions and how many people are with me.

as an example, when my son and i do weekend overnighters we leave out mid-morning and come back around noon. for those, we always carry our alcohol stove b/c we're only heating water for two meals - dinner and breakfast. we eat a big, late breakfast on Saturday morning, snack a bit during the day and then cook a hot meal around dusk. he eats a hot breakfast and hot chocolate in the monring and i eat cereal and heat heat water for my coffee. since we only need a few ounces of fuel, and b/c my alcohol set up includes a cut-down Foster's pot and weighs next to nothing, this is the best solution for us. i use this on all of my solo trips.

however, this holiday weekend we're heading out early Saturday mmorning for two overnights which means we'll likely be eating warm lunches for two days, hot breakfasts for two days, and hot dinners for two nights so we're going to need more fuel. for this trip we'll be carrying our Jetboil. when you calculate the all-in weight, it's about an extra 5-6 ounces. however, i can counterbalance that increased weight b/c we're only bringing a fly and groundsheet so our shelter weight is measurably reduced. additionally, i am having to cook twice as many meals so the speed of the Jetboil, the ease of use, and the efficiency of it make it the right choice for us.

if i were to attempt a solo thru hike, i suspect that i would use both stoves. in colder weather, where i'd almost certainly be eating three hot meals a day, i'd carry the Jetboil. as the weather turned warmer, i'd probably utilize a mail drop to swap it out for my alcohol stove as i'd only be using it for a cup of coffee in the morning and a hot meal for dinner. if you're not a coffee drinker, then i'd absolutely go with the alcohol stove in warmer weather as you'd only need about an ounce per day. if i were contemplating a thru hike with a companion, i'd sit down and do the math and see what works out best and when. my suspicion here is that it'd be the same - Jetboil in cold weather and alcohol during warmer weather.

in the end, i would suggest trying to attribute a value to things like convenience and speed and do a side-by-side comparison of the options to see what you think best suits what you want and what you need. like most everything else in life, there are usually multiple solutions to any given dilema and no one solution works for every person.

swjohnsey
01-17-2013, 14:17
My guess is most folks are using canisters these days. I use alcohol and Whisperlite.

Chaco Taco
01-17-2013, 14:19
any of Zelph's stoves are awesome and super easy and cheap
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Don H
01-17-2013, 15:32
I started my thru with an alcohol stove but found in the cold weather it would not heat up water enough to get a hot meal with freezer bag cooking. So in Hot Springs I bought a MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove and used it through the rest of my hike. I use a Snowpeak 600ml Ti mug with foil lid to heat water in. When I section hike I use the alcohol stove because I'm not hiking in real cold weather. The alcohol stove with fuel is lighter.

The Cleaner
01-17-2013, 17:04
Yes a stove is a good idea......

The Cleaner
01-17-2013, 17:08
I started my thru with an alcohol stove but found in the cold weather it would not heat up water enough to get a hot meal with freezer bag cooking. So in Hot Springs I bought a MSR Pocket Rocket canister stove and used it through the rest of my hike. I use a Snowpeak 600ml Ti mug with foil lid to heat water in. When I section hike I use the alcohol stove because I'm not hiking in real cold weather. The alcohol stove with fuel is lighter. Sooner or later after several days of below freezing temps your canister stove won't work so great either.One of the reasons I find over half full canisters left behind at shelters......

Don H
01-17-2013, 18:56
Most canisters have two or three fuels blended; propane, butane and isobutane. Butane, the same gas that's in your disposable lighter, doesn't do well in cold weather. Propane does better, the thought is the propane burns in cold weather and heats the canister so the other fuels will burn too. You need to insulate the bottom of the canister to help it warm up a bit. Also body heat will help, just put the canister in a pocket or your sleeping bag for awhile before using.

The reason why you find half burned canister is because the propane burned off, save them for warm weather and they'll work fine.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-not-just-use-propane.html

Some designs of alcohol stoves can work very well, but my home made 'Chimney" stove did not. That's why I bought and uses a canister stove which I never had a problem with.

dla
01-19-2013, 16:19
Funny how this question is asked over and over again. I used to tell people to use the forum search function. But now I realize most forums monetize by getting viewership and that happens when people ask mundane questions over and over and over again.

I personally carry a 3 burner cast iron propane grill and a 20lb propane tank.

Mags
01-19-2013, 19:59
when people ask mundane questions over and over and over again.

When I just starting off backpacking, I wondered the about same "mundane" questions myself.

A little humility goes a long way.

We all started off new at some point. Thankfully some experienced people want to share rather than chastise.

Rather than do a (mild) rant about the capitalism and your 20lb tank, probably easier to move on..no? :)

shelb
01-19-2013, 20:27
The JetBoil fuel doesn't work well in low temperatures. The way to combat this is to put the fuel canister in your sleeping bag at night, so it does not get too cold. Also, it is important to make sure the canister is not immersed in snow when it is being used as this will result in a quick temperature drop to the fuel.

I realize this is not the choice for everyone, but the newer JetBoil Sol claims to work well at temperatures below freezing (I have no experience with this model). The older JetBoil, which I do have, will work down to about 20 degrees if you keep the fuel canister warm - which I do by putting it in my sleeping bag at night or inside my coat an hour prior to dinner.

SassyWindsor
01-19-2013, 20:31
Get a titanium zip and modify it to make even lighter than the 10oz it already weighs. A note to the link above on stove comparisons: a disadvantage to a zip was listed as time spent to collect fire burning material, my theory is I'd rather go a few yards than have to find a store near the trail that sells fuel. Also, I've never had trouble burning wet wood by using a small piece of cotton/petrol jelly. Never had problem in desert or alpine areas. Even on glaciers you'll find something that will burn, dried animal dung, vegetation, pack straps, wood staff (assuming you can't wait to get off the ice to cook). You could pack some kindling before entering such an area. Pots do soot up, but black makes things get hotter quicker, I use a stuff sack to carry stove/cookware in. The single AA battery will last about 5 days, but I don't run it constantly either. I can use weak headlight batteries from my headlamp in it. A side note, I've had several hikers ask to use my stove because they had ran out of fuel and couldn't boil water. I've also been hold up in a winter storm and had to melt ice/snow for several days for several hiking parties who all had fuel stoves.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2013, 20:51
The JetBoil fuel doesn't work well in low temperatures. The way to combat this is to put the fuel canister in your sleeping bag at night, so it does not get too cold. Also, it is important to make sure the canister is not immersed in snow when it is being used as this will result in a quick temperature drop to the fuel.

I realize this is not the choice for everyone, but the newer JetBoil Sol claims to work well at temperatures below freezing (I have no experience with this model). The older JetBoil, which I do have, will work down to about 20 degrees if you keep the fuel canister warm - which I do by putting it in my sleeping bag at night or inside my coat an hour prior to dinner.

Wait, its mixed for low temp and high altitude... performance is based in temp - but compared to what?

Del Q
01-19-2013, 21:21
NONE - go no cook. There are a ton of no cook foods, on my last section hike, new favorite, ramen crumbled up with the seasoning packet and some hot powder........yummy. Eat in town.

If you are going to bring a stove, I would get a titanium wood stove, there is a good amount of fuel on the trail, save dry stuff in a zip lock for down the road.........

No cook to me is better.

tammons
01-19-2013, 21:35
You can put together a sub 5 oz alcohol or esbit cook kit for little $.

Mags
01-19-2013, 22:01
GNever had problem in desert or alpine areas. .

Two words: Fire bans

You may have, without realizing it, been violating some local regs about campfires above tree line.

Updated the doc due to this recent discussion on here and other forums:

In recent years, there have been bans on open fires in the backcountry during times of extreme fire dangers. With more wildfires happening esp here out West, the rules are getting stricter on what types of stoves to use. In many parts of Colorado in the summer of 2012, open flames were banned. This meant no campfires, wood burning stoves, solid fuel stoves and alcohol stoves. (It did not help that a fire was caused by a negligent alcohol stove use (http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_20654312/)r).

Also note that many places ban backcountry campfires outright (http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1003) (again, esp with extreme fire danger). Wood burning stoves may fall under this ban (http://www.littlbug.com/wood-burning-stoves-BWCAW.pdf)depending on what the local National Park unit or USFS/BLM or State Park office decides.

Though there have been arguments over the logic of these bans, this arguing is academic. One thing to argue on a backpacking forum; another thing to argue with a ranger who can fine you! :)

For all intents and purposes, the options for backpacking stove use during bans are white gas stoves and canister stoves. Or you can go stoveless.

gunner76
01-19-2013, 23:41
I own and use canister, alky and wood burning stoves and the one(s) I take denpend on where I am going, how long and the conditions I expect to run in to.

Sarcasm the elf
01-19-2013, 23:53

One more point to add is that cannister stoves are idiot-proof, which can be a big advantage. When I'm exhausted and dehydrated after a long day of hiking I really don't trust myself playing with flammable liquids, especially not with an open top alcohol stove.

I have used alcohol, white gas, fires and canister stoves over the years. I have settled on canister stoves for three season backpacking on the A.T., I just find that their reliability and ease of use beat the other stove options hands down.

stranger
01-20-2013, 02:02

The most simple, all weather, fuel efficient and lightest is no stove at all...

No more cooking in the rain, no more fuel bottle, no more doing dishes

Wise Old Owl
01-20-2013, 10:39
NONE - go no cook. There are a ton of no cook foods, on my last section hike, new favorite, ramen crumbled up with the seasoning packet and some hot powder........yummy. Eat in town.

If you are going to bring a stove, I would get a titanium wood stove, there is a good amount of fuel on the trail, save dry stuff in a zip lock for down the road.........

No cook to me is better.

Now that I have watched NOVA on the science of food - I disagree with no cook foods they have the least caloric value. High energy is cooked process foods. Higher calories is higher energy.

For the AT - Alchol stoves and Wood Stoves are what I see the most of, Esbit is hell on aluminum for clean up. If you go wood you are going to need a good knife, and knowledge of fuzz stick.

And P-Mags is right - from time to time there are firebans in the parks. You might have to go cannister.

QiWiz
01-20-2013, 18:52
The most simple, all weather, fuel efficient and lightest is no stove at all...

No more cooking in the rain, no more fuel bottle, no more doing dishes

But I need a nice hot dinner to look forward to. HYOH!

trapper
01-20-2013, 19:52

No cook to me is better.i agree with the no cook but i do have a stove that i take when i take my son and its pretty awesome at 2.5 oz. soto micro regulator. if your going to use a stove its the best and easiest I've used. imo

tammons
01-20-2013, 20:33
You can set up an Esbit cookset for like 2oz and change.
At least thats what this guy did and its nice to have a cup like container to drink out of every now and then
even if you are going mostly cold food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBZ_jRURpVo

Papa D
01-20-2013, 22:07
If you want about the easiest and most simple stove, just get a MSR Pocket Rocket. There are problems with pocket rockets and most cannister stoves though:
at temps below about 35 degrees they get fussy, the gas doesn't come out right and you can't really fix them and
you can't easily tell how much fuel you have left andthe canisters are fairly easy to obtain along the AT but you might find
yourself occasionally out of luck finding fuel. Canisters are recyclable but if you don't puncture it crush it and recycle it, they are wasteful.

If you want an outdoor industry standard (not just backpacking), a whisperlite from MSR is a great stove. If works when
it's cold and is field repairable. "Coleman Fuel / White Gas" is easier to obtain than canisters and if you get the international
version, you can burn kerosene and diesel (but it smokes) The only major problem is that it weighs about 2x what the pocket
rocket weighs (still not much) and you have to LEARN how to use it - - it has to be shaken and primed and takes a 10 or 15
uses before you get really proficient in figuring out how much to pressurize the gas, adjust the flame, and shake the jet.

Alcohol stoves are clearly the lightest things out there and you can make one with simple tools - even with a pocket knife
and 2 empty beer cans if you are crafty. Rubbing alcohol or HEET (auto parts stores) is readily available just about everywhere.
The main problem is that it is slower to boil water and isn't really a cooking stove - it just boils water so everything you eat
needs to be an "add boiling water" meal - - no simmering, frying, etc. to speak of. They are also inadequate in winter conditions in
my opinion when the wind is blowing, snow is on the ground and you really want a blowtorch of a stove. dry fuel stoves (like Esbit Tablets)
are really similar and comparable to alky stoves.

Wood burning stoves are a hassle but they have a counter-culture following. The greatest thing about wood stoves is that you don't have to
carry fuel at all. That's also the worst thing about them - it's a cold morning and you just want to fire up a cup of coffee and it's raining and
you've got to find tinder to build a fire. The best wood stove designs have alcohol back-ups - - this is the stove for a tinker and for those that
think a little outside the box. The things (once going) double as a little personal warming campfire so there is an added benefit.

I happen to own all of the above and choose my stove based on what I'm doing. My longest recent hikes have only been 3 weeks to a month on
the trail and for those I've gone with a pocket rocket. On longer winter hikes (Connecticut last spring in the snow), I used a whisperlite. Being sort
of gourmet oriented, I usually don't use just the alcohol stove but for a thru it might get consideration. For me, the wood stove is a weekend toy but
people do use them as thru-hike tools.

SassyWindsor
01-20-2013, 22:13
Two words: Fire bans

You may have, without realizing it, been violating some local regs about campfires above tree line.

Updated the doc due to this recent discussion on here and other forums:

In recent years, there have been bans on open fires in the backcountry during times of extreme fire dangers. With more wildfires happening esp here out West, the rules are getting stricter on what types of stoves to use. In many parts of Colorado in the summer of 2012, open flames were banned. This meant no campfires, wood burning stoves, solid fuel stoves and alcohol stoves. (It did not help that a fire was caused by a negligent alcohol stove use (http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_20654312/)r).

Also note that many places ban backcountry campfires outright (http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1003) (again, esp with extreme fire danger). Wood burning stoves may fall under this ban (http://www.littlbug.com/wood-burning-stoves-BWCAW.pdf)depending on what the local National Park unit or USFS/BLM or State Park office decides.

Though there have been arguments over the logic of these bans, this arguing is academic. One thing to argue on a backpacking forum; another thing to argue with a ranger who can fine you! :)

For all intents and purposes, the options for backpacking stove use during bans are white gas stoves and canister stoves. Or you can go stoveless.

On more than one occasion I've approached rangers and asked the question of a wood burning backpacking stove versus any other. Once a ranger informed me that an alcohol stove had been spilled in a shelter or such and had started a localized fire, but not an out of hand situation.
Due to the smoke from a zip, using one in a shelter may be limited. Each time I inquired if the zip stove was ever banned when other type stoves where not, the answer was no. An open fire is NOT what is meant by a zip stove any more than an open fire on an msr stove. I'm pretty sure the term means a "camp fire". If there are links to rules, regulations I've not come across them. Nor, I've not seen fines levied to zip stove users when it would have been OK to use an alcohol stove or petrol stove.

Mags
01-20-2013, 23:55
If there are links to rules, regulations I've not come across them. Nor, I've not seen fines levied to zip stove users when it would have been OK to use an alcohol stove or petrol stove.

The link I had above is from a ranger district. It was also on a wood burning stove site.

The PDF doc isfrom when bans on wood burning stoves take place.

To quote the letter

"The only difference in legalities between a liquid/gas fuel stove or the wood burning stove is that during certain fire restrictions, the wood burning stove would not be allowed when regular campfires aren’t allowed.... This question comes up often during fire restrictions, and again, the wood burning stove is considered the same as a campfire during these dry times"

(emphasis mine)

You can argue with me and the logic. Probably not so much with a ranger. :)

Being serious, sorry to keep on challenging your assertions, but living in a place where I could literally see the foothills on fire from my deck this past summer (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85511-Alcohol-stove-alternative&p=1304257&viewfull=1#post1304257), I tend to not like the just plain false knowledge being passed on.

Wood fire stoves, alcohol stoves, and esbit stoves fall under the open fire ban.

Wood fire stoves are often classified as a campfire by various districts (state, local and federal) and may be banned in certain areas where camp fires are often banned.

Again, please see the letter linked above. From a ranger office. On a wood burning stove site.

I can assure you that is just one example (http://www.jcfpd.org/coburndefinitions.pdf).

That's all.

Mountain Mike
01-21-2013, 00:21
Arguing with a ranger is like wrestling with a pig in his S***. You aren't going to win & he is having fun. It's their job to protect what we love!