PDA

View Full Version : rock stacking

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 11:04
since trail etiquette seems to be a hot topic... and LNT seems to be a very big concern... i see all these pics , along the trail, with stacks of rocks (not boulders, rocks... had to clarify that) ... and the last time i checked rocks don't have legs, so these "piles " have been made by "people"... is it ok to stack rocks? :-?

ChinMusic
01-17-2013, 11:15
Douchebags

atmilkman
01-17-2013, 11:17
Douchebags

You just had to put that in color didn't you.

bfayer
01-17-2013, 11:19
since trail etiquette seems to be a hot topic... and LNT seems to be a very big concern... i see all these pics , along the trail, with stacks of rocks (not boulders, rocks... had to clarify that) ... and the last time i checked rocks don't have legs, so these "piles " have been made by "people"... is it ok to stack rocks? :-?

Sounds like LNT to me :banghead:

pettifogger
Seems unnecessary and disruptive. That said, if seeing a cairn ruins your hike or makes you doubt mankind (I've seen great distress over this on other boards), you may need psychological help.

coach lou
Douchebags

You may as well start this one off kickin':cool:

Schooley
01-17-2013, 11:20
fire it up baby...fire it up...I like it. Just an FYI - I don't stack rocks. Not because I have some moral objection to it but simple because I'm too lazy and tired to bend down and pick one up.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 11:26
Douchebags

you got that right!! and i am gonna get an official count of said rocks...and i want an APOLOGY from EACH offender!!

jeffmeh
01-17-2013, 11:26
If we are talking about cairns above treeline, then these are marking the trail and nothing to get upset about. The damage to the environment would be greater if the trail were not marked and everyone took their own route.

Up here in New England there are many stone walls deep in the middle of the woods. These were built by farmers when they were farming that land, and pulling literally tons of stones from the ground trying to make the land more workable. When Europeans found how easy it was to farm in the midwest, many of these farmers moved or shut down. There is more forest in New England now than a few hundred years ago.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 11:27
You just had to put that in color didn't you.

aren't all douchebags blue?!?! gah!!

Malto
01-17-2013, 11:28
I biggest one I came across was in PA near the Pinnacle. I took it as hikers' way of making a statement on the rocks and finally, for a change, doing something (however small) about it. I am much took lazy to add to the rock pile.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 11:29
If we are talking about cairns above treeline, then these are marking the trail and nothing to get upset about. The damage to the environment would be greater if the trail were not marked and everyone took their own route.

Up here in New England there are many stone walls deep in the middle of the woods. These were built by farmers when they were farming that land, and pulling literally tons of stones from the ground trying to make the land more workable. When Europeans found how easy it was to farm in the midwest, many of these farmers moved or shut down. There is more forest in New England now than a few hundred years ago.

i am not sure that they are all above tree line?? and there is a fancy name for rock stacking? whooda thunk it?

aficion
01-17-2013, 11:30
If you toast your rocks in the shelter and hangem there to dry we may have a problem. NTFS

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 11:32
you got that right!! and i am gonna get an official count of said rocks...and i want an APOLOGY from EACH offender!!

Ha Ha!! ;P I see the stacked rocks as art work. Some can get very creative! I like knowing that people of the "right" kind have left their mark! LOL!!

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 11:32
Schooly and gg-man...i am gonna start a new trend ... stacking sticks ...much lighter, easier on the back & knees... i am gonna call it... stacking sticks....

Pedaling Fool
01-17-2013, 11:37
Yes, it's true that some people really get bent over by some stacked rocks http://leavenotracecommunity.blogspot.com/2009/11/rocky-road.html

LNT people are environmetal zealots that profess their love for nature, but are clueless what nature is. If one sits around pondering stacked rocks impact on the environment, than they definitely have too much time on their hands.

Kingbee
01-17-2013, 11:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixeRWrg0yg

atmilkman
01-17-2013, 11:51
Yes, it's true that some people really get bent over by some stacked rocks http://leavenotracecommunity.blogspot.com/2009/11/rocky-road.html

LNT people are environmetal zealots that profess their love for nature, but are clueless what nature is. If one sits around pondering stacked rocks impact on the environment, than they definitely have too much time on their hands.
I once saw rocks on the trail laid out to spell "John was here" - was that you?

Seatbelt
01-17-2013, 13:13
While hiking in PA I have seen several "rock benches" made by positioning rocks to make a nice sitting spot at an overlook. I kinda thought it was nice--put the rocks to use.

flemdawg1
01-17-2013, 13:18

In a completely unrelated observation, I notice that you're a blond.

Sarcasm the elf
01-17-2013, 13:25
DouchebagsThat would be much worse than stacks of rocks.

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 13:30

Your post contains many useful facts. I have hiked by thousands of these cairns and have attempted to hunt partridges by following the labyrinth of rock walls through the woods where fields used to be. There is only one problem. I suspect this thread is not designed to gather useful information. I think the 1st reply reveals the purpose. This one is in jest. Had to grab a towel to wipe the coffee off my monitor after reading the 1st reply.

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 13:35
In case anyone is curious how cairn is pronounced, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzkced6EJA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzkced6EJA)

Slo-go'en
01-17-2013, 13:36
Rock Cairons such as these are used to mark the trail: Typically found above tree line, but can be used in other places to help mark the way if you don't have any paint to put on trees - or trees to put paint on.

Is it okay to make your own pile of rocks? Since cairons have a specific purpose and meaning, they should only be made if they help mark something, like a turn in the trail or direction which otherwise might not be obvious. However, there is a spot on the AT/LT called "White Rocks" where hundreds of little carions have been made along and just off the trail as art. I'm sorry I don't have a good picture of the place, it's really quite interesting.

coach lou
01-17-2013, 13:40
That would be much worse than stacks of rocks.

I see now, you do it sooo Elf-like:sun

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 13:44
While hiking in PA I have seen several "rock benches" made by positioning rocks to make a nice sitting spot at an overlook. I kinda thought it was nice--put the rocks to use.

I thought they already served a purpose, holding Earth down.

**Curses 8th grade science teacher**

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 13:46

rock grafitti?!?! oh lawd!!!

RCBear
01-17-2013, 13:48

which is of course, the rare related subset of the "Blonde" family

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 13:48
I have hiked by thousands of these cairns and have attempted to hunt partridges...

I found 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xeA5tNKfyU

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 13:49
I can't keep adding to my signature, damn it. We have CYON, now we have SYOC - Stack Your Own Cairn.

RCBear
01-17-2013, 13:50

and she should not at all be concerned that it shows on her profile that you are still looking through the images...twice! ;)

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 13:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ixeRWrg0yg

lmao!!! i like stacking 47 things...on top of other things...

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 13:54
and she should not at all be concerned that it shows on her profile that you are still looking through the images...twice! ;)

He must like what he's seein...;)

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 13:55
I found 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xeA5tNKfyU

How did you do that? I tried to post a youtube video of Kirk yelling Khan, but all that showed was the link.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 13:55

dad....is that you?!? ;)

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 13:58
How did you do that? I tried to post a youtube video of Kirk yelling Khan, but all that showed was the link.

I gots mad innerwebz skillz.

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 14:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzkced6EJA

Trying again. This is how you pronounce cairn.

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:01
Okay, seriously though (is that allowed?), you see the tool bar above where you type replies? There's an icon that looks like film...sort of. Should be second from right. Anyway, click on that and it'll bring up a magic box for you to type (or paste) in the URL for your video link. Voila!

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzkced6EJA

Trying again.

SUCCESS! And before I posted my tutorial. I'm so proud!

**Wipes away a tear**

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 14:02
Okay, seriously though (is that allowed?), you see the tool bar above where you type replies? There's an icon that looks like film...sort of. Should be second from right. Anyway, click on that and it'll bring up a magic box for you to type (or paste) in the URL for your video link. Voila!

Hehehehe..... got it before you told me. Thanx anywho.

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 14:04
SUCCESS! And before I posted my tutorial. I'm so proud!

**Wipes away a tear**

Whenever we hike a hill in Acadia that joke comes up. Someone yells Khan!!! Usually it is me.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 14:11

rare like in yeti rare...or rare in like medium rare?

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:12
Hehehehe..... got it before you told me. Thanx anywho.

Very good, Grasshopper, but you have much to learn before you are prepared to lift the culdron barring your exit from the temple.

Seatbelt
01-17-2013, 14:13
I thought they already served a purpose, holding Earth down.

**Curses 8th grade science teacher**

LOL never thought of that.....

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:13

Mmmmm...medium rare.

When the heck is Rasty due back?

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:14
LOL never thought of that.....

I'm younger. There wuz moor syuns knowed when I went to skool.

Gray Blazer
01-17-2013, 14:18
I read in another thread right here that the rocks do move by themselves. Blocked up 441 in the Smokies. I guess they could make little stacks.

Train Wreck
01-17-2013, 14:22

No, that was left by a trail maintainer to let hikers know they need to step carefully since the privy was moved.

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:29
No, that was left by a trail maintainer to let hikers know they need to step carefully since the privy was moved.

DAMN IT! Now my laptop screen is coated with little tiny bits of partially chewed M&M's!

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 14:30

Fudgefoot didn't get that memo!! :eek:

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 14:32
I read in another thread right here that the rocks do move by themselves. Blocked up 441 in the Smokies. I guess they could make little stacks.

well then i think they should change the yellow signs to read " caution...rocks makin little stacks"

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 14:33
well then i think they should change the yellow signs to read " caution...rocks makin little stacks"

hikers will follow...

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 14:51
Gizzy bear, I think it's a party foul when you quote yourself. Now you have to shotgun a beer while standing on one foot singing I'm A Little Teapot.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:00
Gizzy bear, I think it's a party foul when you quote yourself. Now you have to shotgun a beer while standing on one foot singing I'm A Little Teapot.

well that's not so bad... everytime a person double posts the same comment... a cute fuzzy kitten is killed...

hikerboy57
01-17-2013, 15:02
well that's not so bad... everytime a person double posts the same comment... a cute fuzzy kitten is killed...

thats why hes stealth camping

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=cbb85e0e57&view=att&th=13c497c0b57dd08d&attid=0.8&disp=emb&realattid=517b81c24a45af5a_0.1.5&zw&atsh=1

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 15:02

Is it only one kitten per comment or can I repost the same comment 100 times and get 100 kittens? And are we talking U.S. dollars, Canadian, or Australian?

rhw
01-17-2013, 15:03
“This is alive. It is living, breathing, walking, and talking. Only we cannot see it, because it is happening too slowly. Rock has a lifespan of three billion years. We have a lifespan of sixty or seventy years. We cannot see what is happening to this rock for the same reason we cannot make out the tune on a record being played at the rate of one revolution every century. And the rock, for its part, is not even aware of our existence because we are alive for only a brief instant of its lifespan. To it, we are like flashes in the dark.” —Michael Crichton, Andromeda Strain

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 15:05
Is this part of the forum zoned for a cafe? It's great that we seem to be opening another location but I'd hate to see anyone shut down or pay a big fine over zoning issues.

Train Wreck
01-17-2013, 15:05
“This is alive. It is living, breathing, walking, and talking. Only we cannot see it, because it is happening too slowly. Rock has a lifespan of three billion years. We have a lifespan of sixty or seventy years. We cannot see what is happening to this rock for the same reason we cannot make out the tune on a record being played at the rate of one revolution every century. And the rock, for its part, is not even aware of our existence bese we are alive for only a brief instant of its lifespan. To it, we are like flashes in the dark.” —Michael Crichton, Andromeda Strain

Uh oh, I sure caused a lot of hurt feelings hiking through northern PA then.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:15

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:17
uh oooohhhh... i just killed a kitteh ....

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:18
“This is alive. It is living, breathing, walking, and talking. Only we cannot see it, because it is happening too slowly. Rock has a lifespan of three billion years. We have a lifespan of sixty or seventy years. We cannot see what is happening to this rock for the same reason we cannot make out the tune on a record being played at the rate of one revolution every century. And the rock, for its part, is not even aware of our existence because we are alive for only a brief instant of its lifespan. To it, we are like flashes in the dark.” —Michael Crichton, Andromeda Strain

a rock has a lifespan???!? i thought they were born dead???

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 15:21
uh oooohhhh... i just killed a kitteh ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxJL_fi5teo

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:22
Is this part of the forum zoned for a cafe? It's great that we seem to be opening another location but I'd hate to see anyone shut down or pay a big fine over zoning issues.

i just up the rent to my tenants on mediterranian ave...i got plenty of cash...

Don H
01-17-2013, 15:22
Rock cairns are official trail markers above tree line. But I guess if you haven't hiked above tree line you wouldn't know that.

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 15:24

Typical stonist thinking!

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 15:25
i just up the rent to my tenants on mediterranian ave...i got plenty of cash...

Being a slumlord has its advantages.

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 15:25
Rock cairns are official trail markers above tree line. But I guess if you haven't hiked above tree line you wouldn't know that.

Has anyone ever told you you're cute when you're snarky?

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:26
proof...and i have TWO houses!!!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZrWZ6V5KoKM/Twczn46CzUI/AAAAAAAAGAM/vGCWd3B4KQs/s320/Mediterranean%2BAvenue.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZrWZ6V5KoKM/Twczn46CzUI/AAAAAAAAGAM/vGCWd3B4KQs/s320/Mediterranean%2BAvenue.jpg)

Biggie Master
01-17-2013, 15:27
Fudgefoot didn't get that memo!! :eek:

Now THAT is funny!!!

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 15:28

i have Don....i call them what they are ...rock stacks...

Odd Man Out
01-17-2013, 16:09
Just like graffiti, once it gets started, it gets out of hand, as in Yosemite:

http://www.nationalparksblog.com/is-rock-stacking-graffiti/

http://www.nationalparksblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/rock-stacking.jpg

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/rock-stacking-joyce-huhra.html

http://yosemitesecrets.com/Cairn_article.htm

Mountain Mike
01-17-2013, 16:17
There is a big stacks of them on Blood Mt.19075 And Mt Washington19076

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 16:24
An even bigger one at the Grand Canyon.

BirdBrain
01-17-2013, 16:36
This rock stacking stuff ain't as easy as it looks.

Seatbelt
01-17-2013, 17:26

Maybe they have a shelf life......

Don H
01-17-2013, 18:37
Has anyone ever told you you're cute when you're snarky?
My wife, all the time ;)

Tinker
01-17-2013, 18:51

Low self esteem -must leave trace to prove that they were there, therby validating their otherwise meaningless existence.

One Stonehenge is enough. :D

Drybones
01-17-2013, 19:00
The female doberman we rescued must have been attached by a cairn at some point in her wandering, first time I took het hiking she saw one and would not go near it, had me wondering.

Drybones
01-17-2013, 19:03
Maybe they have a ..........shelf life......

Maybe the ones in a fireplace mantel.

adamkrz
01-17-2013, 19:05
I think tis might be them.19079

Mountain Mike
01-17-2013, 19:16
I think tis might be them.19079

That's just a supply drop waiting for the PA Trail Crews to retread the trail & replace the dead or worn out rocks.

slow mind
01-17-2013, 20:01
Can't find the pics but quoted from privy graffiti on Isle Royale:

" 2009- 21 carins destroyed"
"2010- 52 carins destroyed"
"2011- 51 carins destroyed"
"2012- got laid, don't care about carins anymore"

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 20:05

Those flower necklaces are VERY powerful!!!

atmilkman
01-17-2013, 20:06

Just ain't a carin' bout them carins no more.

Odd Man Out
01-17-2013, 20:09

Sure wish I could go to Isle Royale and destroy cairns!

atmilkman
01-17-2013, 20:12
You'd of had to go last year.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 20:41
You'd of had to go last year.

Are this year's cairns part of the fiscal cliff ?

Capt Nat
01-17-2013, 20:42
Yea, well what about crop circles???

slow mind
01-17-2013, 20:44
You can.

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 20:46

Martians are RUDE and obviously not on the LNT bandwagon ...

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2013, 21:16

Silly, huh? Martians are far less sloppy and not and do not have time for circles,, They do not have time for hookers, illiegal drugs, pajama's or silly folky circles, They have better things to do - World Domination - is far more interesting to them and then followed by straight sex. - They do not think about their mother at that time....

Mike2012
01-17-2013, 22:12
Creativity needs to be encouraged, not suppressed!

Dash
01-17-2013, 23:22
Sometimes the Park rangers will stack them on mountain tops above the tree line to keep you on course..... and not stomping and very rare flora. Alot of times it is douchebags ruining the natural look of everyones experience.

Mike2012
01-17-2013, 23:41
It's the douchebags that don't even know the natural look of anything that are the problem. I guess that asphalt road you drove up on was ****ted out by bears and made flat by beavers. Get real morans!!!

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 23:50
It's the douchebags that don't even know the natural look of anything that are the problem. I guess that asphalt road you drove up on was ****ted out by bears and made flat by beavers. Get real morans!!!

The beavers were fired last year...

Mountain Mike
01-17-2013, 23:53
Better send them to Hwy 441 in the Smokies!

hikerboy57
01-17-2013, 23:55
i think douchebags in general are a problem

gizzy bear
01-17-2013, 23:55
Sometimes the Park rangers will stack them on mountain tops above the tree line to keep you on course..... and not stomping and very rare flora. Alot of times it is douchebags ruining the natural look of everyones experience.

I work for a Ob/gyn... Bad flora isn't good...douche bags are encouraged.

BirdBrain
01-18-2013, 00:03
i think douchebags in general are a problem

Maybe we can stack them up somewhere instead. Nah. Whiteblaze would be too civil then. Nobody would like that... unless they were a stick in the mud.

BirdBrain
01-18-2013, 00:07

What's a moran?

Train Wreck
01-18-2013, 00:25
What's a moran?

It's the diminutive form of moraine, which is an accumulation of glacial debris spread over a large area. A moran is a littl'un about the size of a parking lot.

BirdBrain
01-18-2013, 00:28
It's the diminutive form of moraine, which is an accumulation of glacial debris spread over a large area. A moran is a littl'un about the size of a parking lot.

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought he meant a moron. I know what those are.

Coffee Rules!
01-18-2013, 00:31
The beavers were fired last year...

I TOLD those little buck-toothed clowns to quit agitating for unionization! Look where it got them.

ChinMusic
01-18-2013, 01:14
What's a moran?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561026_10151082469215102_487267675_n.jpg

Pat Moran played for the Cubs in 1908

Coffee Rules!
01-18-2013, 02:22
What's a moran?

My maternal grandmother's family.

BirdBrain
01-18-2013, 09:18
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561026_10151082469215102_487267675_n.jpg

Pat Moran played for the Cubs in 1908

Might as well post the entire link. #3 through #5 are especially enlightening.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moran

MyName1sMud
01-18-2013, 11:57
Wait Wait Wait.... there are people out there that actually care people are stacking rocks? Do people honestly just look for something to complain about?

How do said people feel about the people in Spain that stack the rocks at the end of their long trail?

staehpj1
01-18-2013, 12:06
I don't find rock cairns offensive. There are bigger issues to be excited about.

BirdBrain
01-18-2013, 12:18
I don't find rock cairns offensive. There are bigger issues to be excited about.

Tell that to this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u933lrOHFLM

You don't read Whiteblaze much do you. That seems to be all that people do on here and it is celebrated. I really make them mad by criticizing their criticism.

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2013, 19:40
Wait Wait Wait.... there are people out there that actually care people are stacking rocks? Do people honestly just look for something to complain about?
It goes way beyond stacking rocks http://www.backcountryattitude.com/lnt_beach_walking.html

The Lightest Step -
Leave No Trace Beach Walking

Reduce beach footprints by walking below the high water markThe Lightest Step -
Leave No Trace Beach Walking

Who would have ever guessed that such a simple pleasure as strolling a beach could be done in a manner consistent with Leave No Trace and low impact (http://www.backcountryattitude.com/leave-no-trace.html) philosophies?? Well fellow outdoor lovers... it's easy to leave only the absolute lightest of footprints by "stealth hiking" along wild stretches of shoreline.

Ok, right now some of you are probably saying but Chris... you just stay on the sand right? Isn't sand a durable surface to travel on when hiking? Well yes indeed, a sandy beach is a durable surface. But let's think deep for a minute. For me an undeveloped stretch of beach is a precious resource to preserve and protect. An even more precious resource to me is finding solitude in nature in areas unspoiled by man. Anyone starting to see how footprints can damage the resource of a "virgin" beach? Ever wanted at least the feeling that you were the only person to hike a stretch of beach in a while?? Reduce beach footprints by walking below the high water mark.

Am I too strict?? Maybe, but I prefer the term passionate. Anyways... footprints on a beach when you are tying to escape the jungle of city life contribute to a crowded feeling. The worst part is that there can be nobody around for miles yet the footprints can remain for days until either the wind slowly moves the sand around or it rains or large waves jump further ashore.

Lowest Impact Zone

Where footprints are quickly washed away by wave action. I have waterproof boots and I hike on the wet sand here. Barefoot is fun too!
Low Impact Zone

Footprints may take a few hours to disappear here as only the biggest waves of the day will splash up here.
This will vary greatly depending on whether it is an ocean coastline, or whether it is a big or small freshwater lake.

Footprint Impact Zone

Obviously where all those footprints accumulate. The less we hike on this part of the beach the more we preserve its wildness. That's why we hiked there in the first place right? My original photos could have made good desktop pictures if it wasn't for all those footprints! Here's another photo... less room to walk here because of the sand structure but that's what waterproof boots are for. Dancing with the waves is fun!

Sarcasm the elf
01-18-2013, 20:37
It's funny how I always thought that the purpose going outside was to relax unwind. Apparently for some people the point of going outdoors is to find fault in others.

Sarcasm the elf
01-18-2013, 20:39
I'd hate to hear what the folks who wrote the article that John Gault published would say if they found out that the carbide tips my hiking poles scratch up the rocks on the trail.

hikerboy57
01-18-2013, 20:43
just stay on the sidewalks sonny and keep off the grass

Water Rat
01-18-2013, 20:59
I'd hate to hear what the folks who wrote the article that John Gault published would say if they found out that the carbide tips my hiking poles scratch up the rocks on the trail.

Oh, I thought some of those scratches in the rocks were left by my nails, as I was clinging for dear life... So, it was YOU who made those marks! :)

gizzy bear
01-19-2013, 00:43
I feel there is way too much honesty here...please lie ...

gizzy bear
01-19-2013, 00:48
I love wine & beer... In no particular order... Plus I don't know how to count ..

Capt Nat
01-19-2013, 09:53
Seriously, one day the earth will shed us like it did the dinosaurs and within a geological flash, will erase all evidence of our existence. The earth really doesn't care, we just need to show respect to one another...

Rasty
01-19-2013, 10:44

Mmmmm...medium rare.

When the heck is Rasty due back?

I would cook it! But my price just went up!

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2013, 11:34
Seriously, one day the earth will shed us like it did the dinosaurs and within a geological flash, will erase all evidence of our existence. The earth really doesn't care, we just need to show respect to one another...That is so very true and it's why we need to get our collective ass into space. Exploration of planets is much like rock-hopping, just don't look down.:)

Coffee Rules!
01-19-2013, 12:00
I would cook it! But my price just went up!

Oh, so you win ONE little award and suddenly you're too good for us, eh? I suppose you'll start drinking with your pinky up over at the Cafe too.

HikerMom58
01-19-2013, 12:23
Oh, so you win ONE little award and suddenly you're too good for us, eh? I suppose you'll start drinking with your pinky up over at the Cafe too.

Rut Roh CR.... Rasty takes his career very seriously...;)

But seriously- WB really ROCKS... I oogled, Where do PA rocks start on the AT? First hit... WHITEBLAZE. Man, we really know our ROCKS.

Rasty
01-19-2013, 12:23

That is not why! I charge more to cook an endangered species!

Train Wreck
01-19-2013, 12:44

Will you fix us some spag-yeti and meatballs?

Coffee Rules!
01-19-2013, 12:46

Oh, my mistake. Kindly accept this most insincere (or is it immature?) of apologies.

Rasty
01-19-2013, 13:22
Will you fix us some spag-yeti and meatballs?

If you procure a Yeti I will!

hauptman
02-02-2013, 01:05
Not to pick a fight, but lets face facts. On a trail with shelters, privies, bear lines, fire pits, water pumps, side trails just for water and views, logging roads, tree/rock graffiti, "official" rock cairns, etc........... can we really say that leave no trace is an AT priority. The AT isn't designed for a primordial wilderness feeling; the AT is to long distance trails what RVing is to camping. That said, with so much overuse and abuse the AT can use all the help it can get. To sum up, don't stack rocks fool.

BirdBrain
02-02-2013, 01:29
Not to pick a fight, but lets face facts. On a trail with shelters, privies, bear lines, fire pits, water pumps, side trails just for water and views, logging roads, tree/rock graffiti, "official" rock cairns, etc........... can we really say that leave no trace is an AT priority. The AT isn't designed for a primordial wilderness feeling; the AT is to long distance trails what RVing is to camping. That said, with so much overuse and abuse the AT can use all the help it can get. To sum up, don't stack rocks fool.

I would fight with ya', but I am just too tired. Maybe next silly debate. I am not too sure this thread was meant to be taken seriously. Not sure rock stacking is an issue and the rocks that are stack are cairns meant as trail markers.

Pingus
02-02-2013, 10:55
Q: Why did the apathetic hiker not help mark the trail above treeline?
A) Because she just didn't cairn.

aficion
02-02-2013, 11:08
Q: Why did the apathetic hiker not help mark the trail above treeline?
A) Because she just didn't cairn.

B) Cairn was beyond her.