PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a weekend hike

01-17-2013, 12:01
Hello I'm wanting to go on an extended weekend hike at the end of April. We are planning on leaving ohio thursday evening and hiking friday morning and finishing up sometime sunday to then drive back home. I will have myself and my two daughters 18&19 years old as well as my friend, his girlfriend and his 15 year old son and another friend of mine and his wife. We would like to do at max around 30 miles or so. I wanted to do the newfound gap to davenport gap but we are wanting to tent camp and of course you can't do that in the smokies. I looked at Dicks Creek Gap nobo but it looks like the closest cutout would be about 37 miles and that is pushing it for us on the weekend. Any suggestions for a fitting hike for our group would be appreciated. I'm wanting it to be on the AT because I have a lot of miles to go in my section hiking. I have GA covered up to Dicks Creek Gap. Thanks!

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 12:12
I would suggest Shenandoah National Park or get on the trail near Harper's Ferry in WV.

wookinpanub
01-17-2013, 14:44
My vote would be for Grayson Highands/Mount Rogers in SW Virginia.

topshelf
01-17-2013, 14:51
Can you provide a state/general direction? both the previous suggestions are great in VA

ken209
01-17-2013, 17:10
At from carvers gap to 19E.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2013, 17:24
Looks like the OP lives in southern Ohio not far from Cincinnati & Dayton so the area north of the Smokies is the closest AT access. VA is too far for such a short hike.

How about Davenport Gap to Hot Springs? I did it in 2 1/2 days and 2 nights which is the OP's timeframe. Best part of this stretch as everyone knows is Max Patch but Snowbird Mountain has good views as well.

I hiked it southbound which entails a long ascent out of Hot Springs. My recollection was it was gradual and steady - not as steep or difficult as the Nantahalas south of Fontana. And I got a late start ~9:30 AM but still managed to reach Davenport on the middle of the 3rd day. Journal here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84052). Total mileage about 33.5. That's a bit longer than specified but the last few miles - whether you hike north or south - are fairly gradual descents, not kneecrushers.

Feral Bill
01-17-2013, 17:27
A group of eight people is unlikely to move very fast. Consider that in your plans.

01-17-2013, 17:50
Yes I'm from the Dayton Oh area and we would like the closest possible but I have looked at the Davenport to hot springs! Max patch is awesome, last year I took my girls from Max patch past walnut shelter then next morning went back down to lemon gap where I got a ride to get my car at Max patch parking area. That definitely is an area that would could do the three days especially from Max to lemon is all gradual down hill. I appreciate all the suggestions I definitely need to make up my mind soon.

01-17-2013, 17:52
We also plan on meeting at specific spots on the trail as far as lunch, camping, etc so some of us will just be hiking a lil longer than others to get to our destination .

max patch
01-17-2013, 17:57
I looked at Dicks Creek Gap nobo but it looks like the closest cutout would be about 37 miles and that is pushing it for us on the weekend.

Not necessarily.

Someone check me on the math because I don't have access to my maps at the moment, but you could start at Dicks Creek and hike the AT to just past the Summit of Standing Indian Mt. (about 20 miles) and then take the blue blazed Lower Ridge Trail back to Standing Indian Campground (another 3 miles).

I don't know the condition of the Lower Ridge Trail - it was fine last time I was on it but that is not current info - but if it was overgrown it would be a simple matter to backtrack to Deep Gap and take the always in good conditon blue blazed Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground. That would add an additional 3 miles or so to the hike.