PDA

View Full Version : Virginia - 1st of July - Good starting point for a 1 month hike?

Gurooves
01-17-2013, 12:49
I recently decided that I would go for a 1 month/1 month an 1/2 hike on the A.T. My buddy who did it all told me that virginia could be a nice place to start (Damascus). I was wondering, since I'm leaving alone and in JULY , will I encounter any hikers at this time of year? Thanks!:banana

fredmugs
01-17-2013, 13:02
In 1.5 months you could do the entire state.

bfayer
01-17-2013, 13:18
Lots of hikers in VA in July. Lots of hikers in VA all the time :)

So not to worry, you will not be alone. Start down south and hike till you run out of time.

Southerner
01-17-2013, 13:25
As far as through-hikers, the vast majority of GAMErs will have passed through Virginia by then. You may encounter a few stragglers, mainly those who left late from Springer and are booking or those who are partying their way north and may not care all that much about reaching Katahdin by the end of the season. As to MEGAs, you would start seeing them in greater numbers the farther north you make it, especially if you are say near the midpoint in southern PA by mid-August. As to day and section hikers, summer is a popular time on the AT in Virginia, so expect to see Scouts, church groups, families, and the like, especially in touristy sections like Shenandoah Nat'l Park, Catawba Mountain, and Grayson Highlands. You may find shelters and popular camping sites full on nice weekends.

The heat can be rather oppressive in Virginia in July, even in the mountains. Last year, temperatures were over the 100-degree mark for several days in early July even in Roanoke. That was a bit unusual, but not unheard of. In a typical year, Virginia's mountains have thunderstorms every few days, but droughts are not uncommon, and springs could run dry in a heat wave. Then again, the same could be said about the trail just about any place south of Green Mountains in July.

If you are in good hiking shape at the onset of your trip, Damascus heading north would probably work. However, if you are not in pretty good hiking shape at the onset, you may want to consider starting at say Harpers Ferry and heading southbound through Virginia. Going northbound, you will be hitting the hardest sections of Virginia pretty soon into your trip.

Hope that helps, and enjoy hiking Virginia! It is one of the most pleasant states on the trail (which is good since it is so daggone long).

max patch
01-17-2013, 13:27
Thru hiker bubble will be gone, but as already mentioned, you'll have plenty of company.

Virginia wouldn't be my first choice for a month long hike, but if thats what you want to do there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

Papa D
01-17-2013, 13:31
You could hike the whole Long Trail in Vermont. Most people take about a month and the weather would be nearly perfect for this. The LT shares about 105 miles of the AT and then has about 170 miles of its own - - the shelters are just like on the AT (or a little nicer), the hiking is incredible. With all due respect to your friend, hiking around Damascus, VA in July is going to be hot. Go to this website:

www.greenmountainclub.org

Studlintsean
01-17-2013, 13:31
I recently decided that I would go for a 1 month/1 month an 1/2 hike on the A.T. My buddy who did it all told me that virginia could be a nice place to start (Damascus). I was wondering, since I'm leaving alone and in JULY , will I encounter any hikers at this time of year? Thanks!:banana

I am planning a 1 week trip heading south from just north of Damascus roughly around that same time so if so we would cross paths. No plans firmed yet though.

bfayer
01-17-2013, 13:33
Virginia wouldn't be my first choice for a month long hike, but if thats what you want to do there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

For the month of July, I have to agree and I live in and love hiking in VA. In July I would head up north. By then the worst of the bugs are gone and the weather is a little cooler.

Having said that, it's never a bad time to hike in VA.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 13:48
For the month of July, I have to agree and I live in and love hiking in VA. In July I would head up north. By then the worst of the bugs are gone and the weather is a little cooler.

Having said that, it's never a bad time to hike in VA.

Great suggestion, bfayer....I agree! :) Papa D is talkin straight up.. +1

topshelf
01-17-2013, 14:44
I love hiking VA in the summer months, you can hike and enjoy some time alone during the day and if you camp at popular spots you always get the chance to meet new people almost daily. If you choose to start in Damascus and head north other hikers might become sparse after VA 16 or Groseclose until about Pearisburg, but most other times you should meet all kinds of different people. especially in Grayson Highlands, Roanoke area and up on the Blue Ridge Parkway and in Shenandoah.

RED-DOG
01-17-2013, 18:58
On all Three of my Thru-hikes it took me exsactly 31 days to do VA, from Damascus to Harpers Ferry thats traveling 20-25 MPD with a few 30s but it all depends on how many miles per day you are willing to hike, so if you are only planning to do half the state i would suggest to start in Pearisburg and go north. most of the NOBOs have gone through VA by then most people you will encounter would be section hikers.

flemdawg1
01-17-2013, 19:12
If I could do ANYWHERE on the AT for a month to month-&-a-half it would be Maine and go south.

If I had a choice though I'd do the JMT instead.

Cookerhiker
01-17-2013, 19:37
Notwithstanding its more southerly location, the summer heat in Virginia is no worse than the mid-Atlantic (MD-PA-NJ-NY) plus CT because the VA elevations are higher. VA may even be less humid because most of the state is further from the ocean.

However for a hike starting July 1, I'd rather hike ME-NH-VT. You still may have black flies in ME (I experienced one hellish afternoon of them in the Whites in early July) and the mosquitoes will keep you going but you'll also be able to swim in the myriad lakes & ponds. And there's nothing more spectacular in New England than reaching the mountaintops and taking in the views while feeling the breeze.

I know you said AT and I know you said July but FWIW, I agree with Flemdawg: July=JMT! Or the Colorado Trail.

JansportD2
01-17-2013, 21:03
Virginia is a great July hike. I started in Harper's Ferry on 7/6 last year and hiked south - ending at Pearisburg on 7/30. I saw a lot of NOBO thruhikers at first (25 on 7/6), but by the end of the month I was going 24 hrs and more seeing no hikers.

The first three days of the hike the temps were in the high 90s in the valleys (100 on the 7th when I stupidly did the Rollercoaster). A cold front blew through and it wasn't too bad after that. It's always nicer on the ridgetops - except for the thunderstorms.

Virginians are almost aggressively friendly. Hitchhiking was never a problem. Resupply towns are spaced pretty ideally - 4 or 5 days apart. The stretch between Daleville and Pearisburg was my favorite.

Last July, water was not a problem north of Pearisburg - although this changes from year to year. Today's storm is sure dumping on the Va mountains.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 21:35
Today's storm is sure dumping on the Va mountains.[/QUOTE]

You got that right... we got about 4-5 inches in the Roanoke Valley. It's so pretty... the flakes were the biggest that I've seen in a long time!

This past July I saw a poor thru-hiker out trying to find the post office in Daleville. It was sooo hot & it wasn't even noon. I had pity on him & did a U-turn to get to him. He was so thankful to get into an air conditioned car. Sweat was just pouring off on him as he loaded up his drop box items right before he got back on the trail. Luckily we found a spot in the shade , it was HOT!

Having said that, it is about 10 degrees cooler up on the Blue Ridge Parkway than it is in town.

We, Virginians, know how to treat our thru-hikers... we treat um right. Just don't "double cross" one of um.... ;)

fredmugs
01-17-2013, 21:44
Another WB response of a poster asking a specific question and most of the responders not answering the question and just saying whatever they want. Well done.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 21:55
Another WB response of a poster asking a specific question and most of the responders not answering the question and just saying whatever they want. Well done.

The OP capitalized JULY.... the OP is talking about VIRGINIA...some of us are sayin it's HOT in VA in JULY. Are we "allowed" to expand our convo at all? Sorry... I don't see ur point. I will add, to the OP, you might not see a lot of hikers in July in VA. The guy I saw in July was saying that there weren't that many on the trail, then. He was part of a very small hiking group. I forgot that the OP had asked that as well.

Papa D
01-17-2013, 22:05
don't even know if the OP is still around - Long Trail would be perfect in July - so is all of New England (Maine down to NY) - - nothing wrong with VA but it seems that it would be more ideal in the late Spring or early Fall

Tuckahoe
01-17-2013, 22:13
From my point of view, I'm humored. I am not trying to be contrary, but being from Tidewater, Virginia where it really is hot and humid, I have always found the AT to be cool and comfortable. I've always carried some sort of sweater/pull over to keep from being cold.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 22:28
From my point of view, I'm humored. I am not trying to be contrary, but being from Tidewater, Virginia where it really is hot and humid, I have always found the AT to be cool and comfortable. I've always carried some sort of sweater/pull over to keep from being cold.

Ha Ha!! Yeah, u are sooo right!! I guess it's all relative. I know for a fact that what u r saying is true.

The OP is from Canada. Wonder how VA will feel in comparison.....

Papa D
01-17-2013, 22:38
I hiked about 140 miles in VA in July, 2011 - It was cool, foggy, and cold at Thomas Knob Shelter - I wore my sweater, stocking cap and rain jacket in camp but the remainder of the trip was hot and dry with temps in the 80s - I hiked in running shorts, sneakers and part time shirtless - it was a fun trip but not nearly as cool as my Long Trail End to End the year before.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 22:50
I hiked about 140 miles in VA in July, 2011 - It was cool, foggy, and cold at Thomas Knob Shelter - I wore my sweater, stocking cap and rain jacket in camp but the remainder of the trip was hot and dry with temps in the 80s - I hiked in running shorts, sneakers and part time shirtless - it was a fun trip but not nearly as cool as my Long Trail End to End the year before.

Sounds Awesome!!! :)

Well yeah, it really depends from year to year what the temps will be like... we had a very hot July last year. Around the 4th we had that Derecho blow through which took out ppls power for weeks. To add insult to injury we had record high temps so that people without power were beside themselves suffering in the heat wave without air conditoning. It was terrible. Luckily our power was only out for about 12 hours....

Cookerhiker
01-17-2013, 22:51

Fred, it's true that the narrative simply asked one specific question but the thread title seemed more open-ended. I guess it depends how you read it.

Studlintsean
01-17-2013, 23:40
I'll go ahead and drift a little bit as well ( but stay relative to the topic). Papa D- you said it got chilly one night out on the trail in July 11. I'm looking to do about 60 miles (illusory in 4-5 days) into Damascus heading south around late June or July and was curious what you would recommend for clothing? I sweat with the best and am generally hot so I was thinking :

Mesh shorts
polyester short sleeve x 2- probably only need one but extra for dry at camp
boxers
Socks x 2
long sleeve mid weight
rain jacket

Thanks and all opinions welcome

Mike2012
01-17-2013, 23:46
As far as through-hikers, the vast majority of GAMErs will have passed through Virginia by then. You may encounter a few stragglers, mainly those who left late from Springer and are booking or those who are partying their way north and may not care all that much about reaching Katahdin by the end of the season. As to MEGAs, you would start seeing them in greater numbers the farther north you make it, especially if you are say near the midpoint in southern PA by mid-August. As to day and section hikers, summer is a popular time on the AT in Virginia, so expect to see Scouts, church groups, families, and the like, especially in touristy sections like Shenandoah Nat'l Park, Catawba Mountain, and Grayson Highlands. You may find shelters and popular camping sites full on nice weekends.

The heat can be rather oppressive in Virginia in July, even in the mountains. Last year, temperatures were over the 100-degree mark for several days in early July even in Roanoke. That was a bit unusual, but not unheard of. In a typical year, Virginia's mountains have thunderstorms every few days, but droughts are not uncommon, and springs could run dry in a heat wave. Then again, the same could be said about the trail just about any place south of Green Mountains in July.

If you are in good hiking shape at the onset of your trip, Damascus heading north would probably work. However, if you are not in pretty good hiking shape at the onset, you may want to consider starting at say Harpers Ferry and heading southbound through Virginia. Going northbound, you will be hitting the hardest sections of Virginia pretty soon into your trip.

Hope that helps, and enjoy hiking Virginia! It is one of the most pleasant states on the trail (which is good since it is so daggone long).

You obviously have NEVER been in Virginia on the AT in July.

mtnkngxt
01-18-2013, 09:23
VA sucks in the summer. I've lived and hiked here my entire life. I'd honestly hit New Hampshire, Vermont, or even ME.

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 10:08
thank you for everything, I am still thinking about new england... The problem is, I am not in super hiking shape and I an scared of hitting a wall in maine. What do you think?

Papa D
01-18-2013, 10:20
thank you for everything, I am still thinking about new england... The problem is, I am not in super hiking shape and I an scared of hitting a wall in maine. What do you think?

One more time, I'll suggest the Long Trail - go northbound - as you go the hiking does get harder - - when you've hiked about 130 miles, the hiking does get real hard but you'll be getting your "trail legs" to some degree about then - - and you can just go slowly and steadily and take a lot of breaks. You're not going for a speed record either. Maine and NH are also nice - - yes, the hiking is harder than VA but bear in mind VA isn't flat - you still have mountains to climb (smaller ones) - you might as well enjoy the summertime in New England

HikerMom58
01-18-2013, 10:35

What do I think? I think you are playing us!

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 10:36
But I might go on my own, and I would really like to team up sometime along the trail. And I heard so much good things about VA......

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 10:37
playing? Sorry, you have to explain, I am a french canadian and I dont understand what you are telling me!

HikerMom58
01-18-2013, 10:38
But I might go on my own, and I would really like to team up sometime along the trail. And I heard so much good things about VA......

Whatever....

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 10:40
? Ok.............

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 10:40
Thanks again for your advises HikerMom..

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 10:43
I forgot, HikerMomKD, My ultimate destination is virginia and thats what I'll probably do.

HikerMom58
01-18-2013, 10:46
I forgot, HikerMomKD, My ultimate destination is virginia and thats what I'll probably do.

I hope not...I need to change my name... FAST.

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 11:25
Wow...why is it suddenly weird? Ok... get out of my post, and no, don't change your name, It reflects your lack of creativity.

Mags
01-18-2013, 11:31
Please keep the arguing to PMing. Thanks and Merci ! :)

ps. The Long Trail is a great suggestion. Easier logistically if coming from Quebec.

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 11:43
What do you mean by "the long trail" ?

Mags
01-18-2013, 12:12
What do you mean by "the long trail" ?

Vermont's Long Trail is a 275 mile foot path that shares 100 miles with the Appalachian Trail and then veers north through the Green Mountains to the Quebec / Vermont border.

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=2

About the right length for a 1 month hike at a casual pace.

Beautiful scenery and a classic hike in New England.

Southerner
01-18-2013, 13:52
You obviously have NEVER been in Virginia on the AT in July.

Boy, that's been a lot of out-of-body experiences over the years, then. So, are we to receive the fountain of your superior knowledge on the subject, Mike2012? Or are you just in the business of drive-by credential assassination? After all, if my entire post is so blatantly wrong, shouldn't you set the record straight? I know politeness is too much to ask for, but if you really feel the need to call someone out, at least have the decency to say why. So, correct away.

bfayer
01-18-2013, 13:58
Boy, that's been a lot of out-of-body experiences over the years, then. So, are we to receive the fountain of your superior knowledge on the subject, Mike2012? Or are you just in the business of drive-by credential assassination? After all, if my entire post is so blatantly wrong, shouldn't you set the record straight? I know politeness is too much to ask for, but if you really feel the need to call someone out, at least have the decency to say why. So, correct away.

Southerner,

Not that I agree with everything you said, but I didn't see anything that couldn't be put down in the category of difference of opinion. Your post was fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2