PDA

View Full Version : Rain Pants

bishopj
01-17-2013, 13:58
Ok folks here a queston for you how come rain pants don't had a fly in them i have own 5 pair of rain pants none have a fly in them have you
ever have a pair with a fly in them.

Dr. Professor
01-17-2013, 14:28
Ok folks here a queston for you how come rain pants don't had a fly in them i have own 5 pair of rain pants none have a fly in them have you

Well, you're going to get wet anyway....

Dr. Professor
01-17-2013, 14:35
Sorry, didn't see that you put this in the straight forward forum.

I've been hiking with pants that are way too heavy but have a zipper. I guess no zipper is about saving weight. The questions are (1) How much do you want to spend, (2) how important is weight to you, and (3) how important is a zipper to you?

I guess you could customize a zpacks cuben to have a zipper if you really need one.

The front of rain pants can be pulled down without exposing too much. I wouldn't bother trying to go out of my way to get a zipper.

topshelf
01-17-2013, 14:35
well i think theyre more like sweat pants, they dont have flys either, youre just expected to pull down the stretchy waste

But my first pair of rain pants did, they were a gift from a nonhiker tho, way too thick for practical hiking

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 14:55

Don't care. Need to pee. Go off trail into woods. Drop rain pants. Water a tree. Pull up rain pants. Move on!

FarmerChef
01-17-2013, 15:29
Me too. Can't think of a reason to have to have a zipper when you have an elastic wasteband. Just to easy to drop and go. No need for the extra weight or the fact that it's hard to seal a zipper (extra fabric covering, etc.).

Tundra
01-17-2013, 17:13

I have a pair of Golite, Current rain pants with a fly. They're gore-tex paclite and weigh 10oz. They also have snaps at ankles to go over boots or shoes without removing footwear. I love em.

bigcranky
01-17-2013, 17:15
My hiking shorts don't have a fly or zipper, either. So no big deal when wearing rain pants.

Miner
01-17-2013, 17:33
Never missed the fly on rain or wind pants nor have I ever seen a pair with them.

Are you perhaps looking for better ventilation? In that case, perhaps a rain skirt would work better.;)

Don H
01-17-2013, 18:35
Maybe to avoid leaks? (no pun intended ;) )