PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Layering

silverwing172
01-17-2013, 14:00
I'm sure this issued has been addressed before, as I recall reading several posts about this a long time ago, however I am new on here and have been unable to find those posts.

I plan to do a 2 day, 20 mile camping/hiking trip in a few weeks in the Blue Ridge Parkway of NC to test out my gear. However, I am just getting into long distant hiking and have no experience with cold weather hiking. The mountains of NC this time of the year can be quite cold, and I want to be as warm as possible while taking the least amount of clothes. I recall seeing that there were specific types of clothes to layer with to whisk the moisture and sweat away from the body to stay warm and dry. Can someone please tell me what the best suggestions are for layering? My biggest concern is at night while sleeping, though I am borrowing a friend's cold weather sleeping bag.

Thank you very much!!!!

swjohnsey
01-17-2013, 14:10
Outer windproof/waterproof layer. Something like Driducks will work or Marmot Precip.

Insulating layer. I use 100 wt fleece pants and 1/2 zip 100 wt fleece top. Heavier fleece for colder weather.

Base layer. Until it is very cold I use poly shorts and long sleeve poly T-shirt. Really cold Capilene 1 top and bottom.

Fleece mittens with Shells

Fleece Balacava.

When you are moving and working hard you will be wearing very little, like T-shirt and shorts even down to freezing if the wind isn't blowin' hard. Most of the insulation comes in when you stop. You can sleep in your fleece for added warmth at night.

topshelf
01-17-2013, 14:33
youve really got to learn to manage your sweating, and its good to always carry extra clothes in case you do sweat too much and get a set wet, you need something to change into, during the winter. I agree with johnsey and always wear rain gear as my outside layer to block any wind and precipitation. while hiking I wear a rain jacket on the outside of a thick under armor winter shirt. I monitor my heat and unzip pockets or jacket to stay cool enough not to sweat to much. bring separate camp clothes, since youre only doing 2 days you can replace space normally used for food and replace it with some extra clothes

dont forget extra food tho, just in case

bigcranky
01-17-2013, 17:16
I posted this a couple of years ago. I think it holds up pretty well.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?31242-Cold-Weather-Clothes&p=487795#post487795

Feral Bill
01-17-2013, 17:23
Outer windproof/waterproof layer. Something like Driducks will work or Marmot Precip.

Insulating layer. I use 100 wt fleece pants and 1/2 zip 100 wt fleece top. Heavier fleece for colder weather.

Base layer. Until it is very cold I use poly shorts and long sleeve poly T-shirt. Really cold Capilene 1 top and bottom.

Fleece mittens with Shells

Fleece Balacava.

When you are moving and working hard you will be wearing very little, like T-shirt and shorts even down to freezing if the wind isn't blowin' hard. Most of the insulation comes in when you stop. You can sleep in your fleece for added warmth at night.

Add a light wool scarf and a down vest (for camp, longer breaks, and if your sleeping bag isn't as warm as you's like) and you are all set. Like Topshelf says, keep it all dry.