PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn water purifier

Jcmyers78
01-17-2013, 18:12
What experience do people have with this purifier?

Chuckie V
01-17-2013, 18:23
Which model? I've used the mini and it, well, sucked. It took forever to pump/filter a liter. And though I didn't mind stopping and resting each time I needed to collect water, this thing made rests anything but restorative.

VT-Mike
01-17-2013, 18:26
I have the Hiker Pro. Easy to use, reliable but heavy, a solid pound.

Tim Causa
01-17-2013, 18:32
I had the Hiker pro and, like many others experienced as depicted in reviews, the input connection point blew right off of the housing while I was out on a 120 mile section hike. It was my second pump, and I've given up. I now walk with the sawyer squeeze and AquaMira drops.

Jcmyers78
01-17-2013, 18:41
I was thinking about buying the Hiker.

Chuckie V
01-17-2013, 18:47

If you're gentle with it and would prefer not to use chemicals, it'll do. You may need to swap out a filter element or two en route, but that's no big deal (albeit pricey).

I'm no longer too entirely fond of using chemicals (I figure if it can kill micro-organisms, it can eventually do the same to us macro-organisms!) and plan to use some sort of lightweight filter.

Drybones
01-17-2013, 18:57
I had the Hiker pro and, like many others experienced as depicted in reviews, the input connection point blew right off of the housing while I was out on a 120 mile section hike. It was my second pump, and I've given up. I now walk with the sawyer squeeze and AquaMira drops.

Same problem here, the nipple on the input side broke off, you'll need to be careful taking the hose off. I epoxyed it back together after I'd bought a new filter, now have two Hiker pros and a Sawyer filter that never get used, switched to bleach.

pafarmboy
01-17-2013, 18:58

Had mine for 4 years now. Extremely fast and easy to use. Broke the handle, they replaced it free of charge. Cartridges are expensive, but no backwashing or maintenance for 100s of miles if you avoid heavy silt/mud filtering. On the heavy side (mine weighs at 12.5 oz before waterlogging the unit) and I'm always trying to cut weight &/or look for upgrades on my gear, but this unit goes with me every time cause it's worth the weight and can't find anything better.

Sarcasm the elf
01-17-2013, 18:58
I have a hiker pro, have used it on several section hikes. It works as advertised, has been used on numerous mud holes and beaver ponds. I always wrapped a coffee filter around the intake and secured it with a twist tie or rubber band, this prevents a lot of the clogging issues that people report. Just remember that filters should not require too much force to operate, if they do the it needs to be cleaned, forcing a clogged filter is what causes them to break. I'm still not sure how people manage to break the Katadyn, they're solid as long as they aren't abused. All that said, mine rarely gets packed anymore, I've switched over to Aqua Mira for 95% of my hiking.

pafarmboy
01-17-2013, 19:06
If you're gentle with it.....

I'm not gentle with mine at all. (I have the hiker, not the pro. Pro has unnecessary attachments to complicate things.) Only broke handle when cartridge was about shot and it was getting hard to pump. I put pumping pressure on end of handle instead of the base stem. Never had problems since. It's bulletproof. Oldest piece of gear in my bag.

BigRing
01-17-2013, 19:58
I have a Hiker Pro and have never had any problems with it. It is kinda heavy, but very reliable. I used it for two summers before I had to change the filter. Just remember to air dry the filter thoroughly before storage......it will last much longer. I purchased a quick connector, so I can quickly unplug the bite valve from my Camel Back bladder and connect the filter output directly to it.

Papa D
01-17-2013, 20:34
I own a Hiker Pro - never carry it anymore - prefer Aqua-Mira or Steri Pen - - it weighs a pound, freezes, pump gets clogged and stiff even if you are exceedingly careful and place a coffee filter and rubber band over the pre-filter and is super easy to cross-contaminate - - as far as filters go, it's certainly on the "better made" side but I wouldn't recommend purchasing any filter really

Akela
01-17-2013, 20:57
Is there a reason why you do not use a gravity filtration system like the Platypus?

shelb
01-17-2013, 21:18
FYI: Our scout troop has use the MSR water filter for at least 8 years. We bought several, and our family bought one. I am NOT happy with it. I have had problems with it several times - problems that meant it would not purify and thankfully, I had another method (ick - iodine!).

Jcmyers78
01-17-2013, 22:16
I bought one but I have nit used it yet. I hesitate taking something on my thru hike that I do not have much experience with. Might try it out if I can. Not many places in Iowa this time of the year to. Try it.

Tim Causa
01-17-2013, 22:52
I went through a MSR sweetwater filter as well, a valve broke internally and it wouldn't pump. Overall, I've found it much safer to not rely on anything mechanically operated - it can and eventually will break. I'd be willing to try the gravity works; however, it's a lot to fuss with when the sawyer suqeeze works so well. If there is a piped spring, I'd much prefer just using AquaMira.

mtnkngxt
01-18-2013, 09:25
Rocked a hiker pro for years. Great filter, just heavy. I'm a Aqua Mira guy now, and enjoy the loss in pack weight.

Son Driven
01-20-2013, 20:14
Rocked a hiker pro for years. Great filter, just heavy. I'm a Aqua Mira guy now, and enjoy the loss in pack weight. I am as green as it gets to hiking and living out doors, except for trunk camping. Call it beginners luck, because I decided on the aquamira, without consulting the White Blaze.

Northern Lights
01-20-2013, 20:57
Had mine for 4 years now. Extremely fast and easy to use. Broke the handle, they replaced it free of charge. Cartridges are expensive, but no backwashing or maintenance for 100s of miles if you avoid heavy silt/mud filtering. On the heavy side (mine weighs at 12.5 oz before waterlogging the unit) and I'm always trying to cut weight &/or look for upgrades on my gear, but this unit goes with me every time cause it's worth the weight and can't find anything better.

The handle on mine broke as well and was replaced free of charge. Works great. I've filtered some pretty murky water and it comes out clear as spring water

Del Q
01-20-2013, 21:09
Weight wise, heavy filters go!

Spring 2013 hike, Sawyer Squeeze and some chemicals as backup.

My real concern with ANY water filter, not much discussion on this point............it gets wet 1-2x each day, for X days, and sits in a warm pack all day and night long...............after a few days, a week, what is growing INSIDE the filter?? ...........

..............that we then use again and again to filter water.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 23:38
DEL Q.......I have the same concerns. I have used the filter myself until I traded it for Chems or Steri Pen. However, I never felt like it was cleaned out and dry between uses and wondered about bacteria growing inside the filter.

Sarcasm the elf
01-20-2013, 23:49
DEL Q.......I have the same concerns. I have used the filter myself until I traded it for Chems or Steri Pen. However, I never felt like it was cleaned out and dry between uses and wondered about bacteria growing inside the filter.

When I was in my "filter your water" stage of my hiking career, I used my hiker pro filter for trips between that varied from overnights to a week. After each trip, I would run the recommended bleach/water solution through the filter and then store it with the cartridge removed.

I imagine that if you are concerned about bacterial growth inside your filter during a thru hike, you could just run the bleach/water solution through the filter once every few days, let the solution sit in the filter for a little while and then flush it out with a few liters of water. I forget the exact ratio of bleach to water that was recommended by the manufacturer, but it was enough to kill just about anything that might try and grow in the filter matrix.

SunnyWalker
03-03-2013, 16:06
JCMyers: I had a friend loan me his Katy for an upcoming thru hike of CDT. He did not know I already had one of another brand. I noticed when i tried it out it seemed flimsy to me compared to the one I had and most important, it only pumped water out of the hose into my bottle on the up or down stroke (can't remember which). The one I have (different brand name) water comes out of the hose on both the up and down stroke so it is much faster. Seems like a small thing, but its a big thing when you are kneeling or sitting there and pumping the water. Many people like it though!

sliderule
03-03-2013, 19:39
It's bulletproof.

The Hiker filter is a long ways from being bulletproof. Don't depend on one without having a backup plan.

Chaco Taco
03-03-2013, 19:41
The Hiker filter is a long ways from being bulletproof. Don't depend on one without having a backup plan.
Mine crapped out after 400 miles. Switched over to Aqua Mira and havent looked back. This particular filter is WAY heavy too and the cartidges do not last as long as advertised.

4Bears
03-03-2013, 21:05
Had a Hiker Pro, and if it never ever came close to pumping out the rated outputeven with tap water. Also found that the last thing I wanted to do was sit and pump and pump and pump to get the needed water at the end of the day. It is broken now and will most likely replace with the Sawyer Squeeze as it less than a third the weight and easier to use, then Aqua Mira for back up.

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2013, 23:21
Weight wise, heavy filters go!

Spring 2013 hike, Sawyer Squeeze and some chemicals as backup.

My real concern with ANY water filter, not much discussion on this point............it gets wet 1-2x each day, for X days, and sits in a warm pack all day and night long...............after a few days, a week, what is growing INSIDE the filter?? ...........

..............that we then use again and again to filter water.

Just sort of thinking out loud (so I'm not attempting to speak with any authority)...

These filters filter out things as BIG as bacteria and mold spores. So it should be impossible for these things to get INSIDE the filter to grow. At best, they could be growing inside of prefilters or at the earier stages of a multi-stage filter. But any place these nasties could be growing in/on a filter, by the time you get to the water coming out of the filter, all these things will be filtered out.

The only exception would be viruses (they are too small to be filtered). But viruses 'grow' by taking over host cells. So without a host present, viruses can't replicate (i.e. grow).

prain4u
03-04-2013, 03:18

I have a hiker pro, have used it on several section hikes. It works as advertised, has been used on numerous mud holes and beaver ponds. I always wrapped a coffee filter around the intake and secured it with a twist tie or rubber band, this prevents a lot of the clogging issues that people report. Just remember that filters should not require too much force to operate, if they do the it needs to be cleaned, forcing a clogged filter is what causes them to break. I'm still not sure how people manage to break the Katadyn, they're solid as long as they aren't abused. All that said, mine rarely gets packed anymore, I've switched over to Aqua Mira for 95% of my hiking.

I have the Hiker--similar experiences as these two writers. I place a bandana around the input end (fastened by rubber band) to pre-filter out the gunk. I've had mine five seasons--hundreds of miles---no significant issues.

Tipi Walter
03-04-2013, 08:43
I've been using my old PUR Hiker filter for many years and like someone said it's probably the oldest piece of gear in my kit. It has several problems (including weight) but I take it out every trip because I'm a stubborn idiot.

** The pump handle is plastic-welded at one small place and after breaking two I do a at-home fix which has worked for the last 5 years. See below pics.

** The replacement cartridge is outlandishly expensive at $50! I remember when they used to be $29 and it wasn't that long ago. Why is this a problem? Because I go thru around 2 a year.

** I never tried the coffee filter paper over the intake nozzle but I am very careful with silt and mud. Sometimes in a drought your water sources are mud pits and far apart and this is when the filter takes a dive. But if you reach a fast flowing creek you can remove the cartridge and pull the two coverings off it and clean the many paper folds in the creek with a toothbrush. This gives new life back to your filter.

** In freezing conditions the filter will not pump but if you put it in your jacket for 30 minutes before pumping it works.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/2/a/5/74405/TRIP-125-279.jpg
The Pur filter in action on Crowder Branch in the Citico wilderness.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/4/b/2/74930/PUR-FILTER-001.jpg
Homemade repair on the sorry ill-designed pump handle.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/4/b/9/74937/PUR-FILTER-002.jpg
A better shot of the screw. This fix has lasted for about 5 years and will not snap.

HooKooDooKu
03-04-2013, 11:09
** I never tried the coffee filter paper over the intake nozzle but I am very careful with silt and mud. Sometimes in a drought your water sources are mud pits and far apart and this is when the filter takes a dive. But if you reach a fast flowing creek you can remove the cartridge and pull the two coverings off it and clean the many paper folds in the creek with a toothbrush. This gives new life back to your filter.

I've loved my SweetWater Silt stopper pre-filter. It is heavier than a cooffe filter, but its designed to remove silt (multi-layers so it seems to get silt out of even apparently clean flowing streams with lots of surface area so it doesn't instantly clog). It's also back-flushable.

RyanK817
03-04-2013, 11:40
I actually replaced my Hiker pump with the Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter during our thru-hike and was glad I did. I was pumping water for my wife and me, and all that pumping got old and made the filter clog up too often. When we got to the shelter I could fill the Base Camp up with all the water we needed for cooking and drinking that night and filling up the next morning, and we could even share with others. It makes stopping for water during the day a little longer, but not enough to be an issue in my experience. Weighs the same as the Hiker, though a little bulkier to pack. Only downside is filling it, if you don't have running falling water you'll need an extra Gatorade bottle to get the water into the bag.

Cadenza
03-04-2013, 12:22
I've been using my old PUR Hiker filter for many years and like someone said it's probably the oldest piece of gear in my kit. It has several problems (including weight) but I take it out every trip because I'm a stubborn idiot.

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/2/a/5/74405/TRIP-125-279.jpg
The Pur filter in action on Crowder Branch in the Citico wilderness.

I never understood those who think the weight and bulk of a water filter is too excessive. I can't stand the taste of water treated with chemicals. I don't even like the thought of it.
And here we are, in the beautiful Eastern woods with some of the best water on Earth trickling over a Poplar root and people actually foul it by adding chemicals. I don't think so!

A long ridge hike in dry conditions (such as the Fodderstack trail from Cold Spring to Farr Gap) is going to get mighty thirsty if one doesn't have the ability to suck water out of a mud hole.
I'm careful with silt. Placing a rock on the intake end to avoid stirring up a cloud usually solves the problem. Never had a filter clog up so bad that I couldn't deal with it.
I have a couple of Katadyn filters and an MSR which is what I have tended to use most in recent years as it's just faster and easier to pump than either of my Katadyns.
Guess I'll never make the ultra-light cut but I don't care. I'm going to have water,....and I'm going to have GOOD water.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664338&emssrcid=PPC%3AgooPLAs%3A18283950120All_products&utm_source=gooPLAs&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CN6718O347UCFQk4nAodCzgApw

RED-DOG
03-04-2013, 12:42
I used the Hiker pro model on my 2006 and 2012 Thru-hikes. Reliable, and easy to use. No complaints here, So what exactly is your question.

Tipi Walter
03-04-2013, 12:48
I never understood those who think the weight and bulk of a water filter is too excessive. I can't stand the taste of water treated with chemicals. I don't even like the thought of it.
And here we are, in the beautiful Eastern woods with some of the best water on Earth trickling over a Poplar root and people actually foul it by adding chemicals. I don't think so!

A long ridge hike in dry conditions (such as the Fodderstack trail from Cold Spring to Farr Gap) is going to get mighty thirsty if one doesn't have the ability to suck water out of a mud hole.
I'm careful with silt. Placing a rock on the intake end to avoid stirring up a cloud usually solves the problem. Never had a filter clog up so bad that I couldn't deal with it.
I have a couple of Katadyn filters and an MSR which is what I have tended to use most in recent years as it's just faster and easier to pump than either of my Katadyns.
Guess I'll never make the ultra-light cut but I don't care. I'm going to have water,....and I'm going to have GOOD water.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664338&emssrcid=PPC%3AgooPLAs%3A18283950120All_products&utm_source=gooPLAs&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CN6718O347UCFQk4nAodCzgApw

And you bring up another consideration---not even filtering most sources and just drinking straight out of the spring. This is a common thing for most of us but I still have to have my filter for many other spots. And like you I have a system for getting water out of a mud seep---dig it out and let it settle---hopefully it's flowing enough to clear in several minutes. Then place a large dead leaf on top of the pool and gently place the intake nozzle on the leaf and gently let a rock sink it down. The leaf keeps away the silt and mud.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2013, 13:38
i have only ever owned 3 filters, a *sweetwater(junk)
a *Pur hikerpro and a *Katahdyn hikerpro. i have over 9,000 miles on the hiker pros and have never had a issue with them!
i don't always filter every water source but i have filtered alot of water for others, and have never carried chemicals, i sampled treated water once(yuck) :-)

HooKooDooKu
03-04-2013, 17:57
i have only ever owned 3 filters, a *sweetwater(junk)
Curious as to why you think the sweetwater is junk. I've owned a sweetwater for over 15 years and never had any problems.

Prime Time
03-04-2013, 18:40
I've had a hiker pro for 5 years. Extremely reliable and fast. As stated, don't force it when the filter is clogged or the intake is stuck in the bottom of the water source. That's how the handle breaks. Just pay attention to what you're doing and maintain a clean filter.

All that said, I just switched to a Steripen to save weight (4oz vs 12.5) I confess to also carrying Aquamira as a back up at least until the Steripen earns my confidence. The reason I don't just go with the drops is I don't like drinking the chemicals with every use and I don't like the waiting time.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2013, 19:01
Curious as to why you think the sweetwater is junk. I've owned a sweetwater for over 15 years and never had any problems. compaired to my hikerpro it was slow and the ceramic filter was always clogging. i thought maybe your filter was when MSR took it over and improved it. but you bought yours around the same time i bought mine 97' or 98
i'm guessing? how many miles have you put on it? how long were your hiking trips? i was thruhiking and filtering like a madman :-) & it didn't keep up with me.
sorry i should word my thoughts better, no offense intended. the hiker pro is alot easier to pump and much faster than the sweet water and the mini-works but if it works for you thats great! sorry

SunnyWalker
03-04-2013, 19:25
Hey Crumgsnatcher< did you ever clean out your filter after every use with the brush? (On you Sweetwater).

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2013, 20:33
Hey Crumgsnatcher< did you ever clean out your filter after every use with the brush? (On you Sweetwater).i tried my best to keep it clean :-) carried the brush and pre-filter til the end
maybe it was operator error?
p.s. i prefer crumb, snatch, snatcher or crumbsnatcher to crumgsnatcher
call me whatever you want, just don't call me late for dinner :-)

SunnyWalker
03-04-2013, 21:28
Thanks Crumb, I had one clog on me too when it was at the end of its life. Dumb, me I kept on trying to pump water and finally broke it. I had cleaned it, they just don't last forever. I did like it over the Katy one though.

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2013, 21:39
i am a few miles short of 4 completions of the A.T. and have filtered many streams,rivers campsites,shelters,springs,ponds,lakes with my sweetwater and hikerpros, many times with other hikers around so i know my hikerpro was easier to pump than the SWEETWATER or the MSR MINI-WORKS, the hikerpro is much faster to pump(i could and have filtered 5 qts of water faster than the other pumps could pump 1-2 qts.
i have filtered water for people carrying chemicals that couldn't get water from very low flowing water sources(mainly couldn't dip from low puddles)or was just tired of the taste of thier treated water, i sat around with friends that had the mini-works and would trade pumps while sitting at the source for them to try and they all seemed to enjoy my filter better. i always had a waterbag that i could filter water for others at the shelter after i was finished with my bottles. i always enjoyed filtering water for my friends or people having issue's getting water. ran across a couple in CT. that couldn't get thier hikerpro to work(just needed a priming of the pump handle) i have never had a problem with my hikerpros. and i never cared about the 1 pound weight of the filter, if i did i probably shouldn't of carried my dog's food,water,treats,first-aid kit, all her gear & her therma-rest :-) use whatever floats your boat, just get out there and enjoy your hike

HooKooDooKu
03-04-2013, 22:31
compaired to my hikerpro it was slow and the ceramic filter was always clogging. i thought maybe your filter was when MSR took it over and improved it. but you bought yours around the same time i bought mine 97' or 98
i'm guessing? how many miles have you put on it? how long were your hiking trips? i was thruhiking and filtering like a madman :-) & it didn't keep up with me.
sorry i should word my thoughts better, no offense intended. the hiker pro is alot easier to pump and much faster than the sweet water and the mini-works but if it works for you thats great! sorry

I'm not a through hiker, so my sweetwater has only been used on short trips. But I kept filter elements for ages. I never had any clogging problems, but then I used the silt-stopper and cleaned the filter element with the brush with EVERY SINGLE USE (you'd be suprised just how much silt that silt stopper filtered out in seemingly clean flowing water).

But I asked for the feedback because I've only used the Sweetwater. I've never tried anything else, so it's nice to hear a little bit of compare and contrast from those who have used the Sweetwater and something else.

SunnyWalker
03-05-2013, 01:00
Yeah, its kinda nice. If I have to go looking for nuther one I'll take a look at the Hiker Pro.