PDA

View Full Version : Albert mtn loop and standing Indian water?

saltysack
01-17-2013, 21:41
Hoping to do a 2.5 day 22-24 mile loop at standing Indian/ Albert mtn in the next week or two. How's the water? Etc. Anyone been there recently?

fredmugs
01-17-2013, 21:46
I don't know about the water but I do know that the forest road going in there is typically closed during the winter. You might want to make sure you can get in there if that's all you want to do.

SouthMark
01-17-2013, 21:52
You will be able to get to the backcountry parking lot just outside of Standing Indian Campground and start the loop from there. Water will be no problem especially after all of the rain that we have had.

joshuasdad
01-17-2013, 21:57
If they got as much rain as in the Smokies (7+ inches) it is the Standing Indian river right now.

+1 on the Backcountry lot. Left my car there for 2 weeks with no problem in October. Noticed that the trash cans were bear proof, so might want to keep food out of your car though...

saltysack
01-17-2013, 21:57
Thx...me and the lil flea bag hope to go soon!

Train Wreck
01-17-2013, 22:01
Thx...me and the lil flea bag hope to go soon!

Did you get him fixed up with a down jacket sleeping bag?

saltysack
01-17-2013, 22:02
Any reccs for tent sites?

ScottC
01-17-2013, 23:07
I'll be in this area this weekend and I'll report back. I'm not too worried about water with all the rain they got this week.

daddytwosticks
01-18-2013, 08:27
Right about now, if not frozen solid, I suspect a good portion of that loop (especially the Kimsey Creek trail) is probably a fast flowing creek or river. Have fun. :)

Starrgazer
01-18-2013, 10:24
I too am looking into doing this loop, prob around the first week in April, what is the weather like around that time?

Marta
01-18-2013, 11:11
That's one of the wateriest sections on the whole Trail. There are springs and creeks all over the place. And after the recent rain, you'll be walking in a stream for quite a bit of the hike.

Its gorgeous. Enjoy.

If you plan to go out the Kimsey Creek Trail it may be difficult to negotiate that section that cuts really close to the creek.

saltysack
01-18-2013, 15:10
You recc lower ridge trail back to parking instead of Kinsey creek? Any tent site recs? 2 night going clockwise

ScottC
01-22-2013, 00:58
Just got back today. Yes - there was water everywhere - some liquid & some frozen. Off-trail, on-trail, over-trail, etc. Kimsey Creek Trail was a mess & we had just enough room to skirt the rocks along the creek. We had a great hike though. Started at Standing Indian Backcountry lot & up KCT to hike North on AT. Camped at Beech Gap with another group from Asheville and then stealth camped between Glassmine Gap and Rock Creek Shelter. Ended at Winding Stair Gap and we had no trouble leaving cars at both ends.

daddytwosticks
01-22-2013, 08:13
Kimsey Creek Trail was always a wet hike even in dry times. Glad you had a safe hike. Thanks for the info. :)

yankeehotelbackpack
01-23-2013, 18:38
Hi all -- newbie here. Planning to hike the Standing Indian Loop in late March. So with all the water, did you get soaking wet and freezing cold? It'll be my first hike/backpacking adventure and I must admit I'm concerned about the cold and wet factors. Also looking for recommendations for maximum warmth at night -- got a down bag that says 20 (but 32 for women) -- I get cold easily. Anyone use heated socks or that kind of thing for sleeping? Any advice on staying warm appreciated!

ScottC
01-23-2013, 20:52
The weather was clear & cold for us. If you're a cold sleeper, you can always use the chemical handwarmers to stretch your bag's temp rating a bit. Just be sure you have the gear to stay dry - feet, clothes & gear. Remember that even if it isn't raining, you need to adjust what you're wearing to avoid getting sweaty. I added/ removed layers of clothes, gloves & hat all day depending on whether I was sitting still, hiking generally flat trail or exerting myself uphill. You should be able to find plenty of gearlists here of HOBO thruhikers that will match what you need in March. Good luck.

saltysack
01-23-2013, 21:39
Planned to do this loop starting tomorrow after noon but not sure now as the forecast is calling for a 90% chance of wintry mix.... Not worried about snow but the wet stuff concerns me as the ice high on Friday is only 35.....advice????

saltysack
01-28-2013, 11:40
I was dumb enough to head out at 7pm on Albert mountain loop Thursday night for a 12 mile to carter gap and had to walk in that nasty ice storm Friday back to standing Indian campground. 19 degrees rain,windy as hell with no spikes....wet and cold!!! Fun but can't believe neither me or my pup hot sick being soaked and frozen...