PDA

View Full Version : Any need to wear Blaze Orange

BobL
01-17-2013, 22:12
No one seems to list an orange vest on their gear lists. I know there is spring hunting, Turkey for instance. Is there any need to wear orange on a NB hike starting March 1st?

bigcranky
01-17-2013, 22:15
I've not worn orange in the spring, never saw any reason too - nor met any hunters. Fall is a different story - met plenty of hunters on the trail, and I wear blaze orange and don't hike at dawn and dusk.

The Cleaner
01-17-2013, 22:42
Most turkey hunters use browse fields down in the valleys away from the trail.Never seen any one hunting in the spring on the AT in this area....

BobL
01-18-2013, 08:32
cool. thanks all. a few more ounces i don't have to carry. :)

Tennessee Viking
01-18-2013, 09:33
Most of the trail in the south is USFS or NPS lands, so hunting is pretty much limited to the fall/winter months.

The only state that really harps on orange blaze is Pennsylvania.

On state game lands in Pennsylvania, all hunters and non-hunters are required to wear at least 250 square inches of fluorescent orange material on the head, chest and back combined, or a fluorescent orange hat, from Nov. 15–Dec.15 (except on Sundays). The orange material must be visible from all angles (360 degrees).

Other than that, now real need for orange.

FarmerChef
01-18-2013, 09:40
One other consideration. In certain counties in Virginia, deer hunting is legal right up to march. Although it's unlikely that a NOBO leaving from Springer as early as February would make it to those northern counties by then, it's still something to think about. As for turkey hunting, I agree with others. When I hunt turkey, I like to be as close as possible unlike deer where I try to be out of sight and smell. From my experience, it would be much harder to mistake me (blaze orange or no) as a turkey than a deer.

Malto
01-18-2013, 09:49
I have a nice blaze orange Houdini wind shirt that I will either wear or tie to my pack during hunting season. Eliminates the need to carry a seperate vest.

Rain Man
01-18-2013, 12:11
Most turkey hunters use browse fields down in the valleys away from the trail.Never seen any one hunting in the spring on the AT in this area....

I've run into turkey hunters several times on trails. Have always been nice guys. There's no need to carry "extra" weight in order to have some blaze orange. If one uses a pack cover, it can be blaze orange. If one carries a bandana, it can be blaze orange. Same for a cap, and so forth.

That said, I agree that the fall is THE time to use blaze orange. I have seen many hunters in the fall on and close to the AT, which means there have been many more I didn't see, I bet, but who saw my blaze orange.

Rain Man

map man
01-18-2013, 22:41
There's no need to carry "extra" weight in order to have some blaze orange. If one uses a pack cover, it can be blaze orange. If one carries a bandana, it can be blaze orange. Same for a cap, and so forth.

This is a good point. I have a blaze orange billed cap for warm weather and a blaze orange beanie for cold weather for this very reason.

I ran into an old-timer at Indian Grave Gap on the Georgia AT back in 2010 who was out hunting squirrels with a longarm of some kind. He told me he was allowed to hunt squirrels any time of the year. Whether that's correct or not, I don't know, but it seems like a good idea to wear some blaze orange while hiking in the woods in just about any circumstance.

Slo-go'en
01-18-2013, 23:42
I've meet turkey hunters on the trail down south in the spring. As noted, turkey hunters need to get up pretty close and personal, as the bird shot isn't going too far.

OTOH, a stray bullet from a deer hunters rife can go a long ways. Deer hunters up here seem to stay away from the AT and popular trails and deer season is mostly past peak hiking season. More out of the way places and trails might be different. The other thing to remember is deer hunters don't want to stray too far from a road or getting the kill out is real work.

jeffmeh
01-18-2013, 23:51
I have a nice blaze orange Houdini wind shirt that I will either wear or tie to my pack during hunting season. Eliminates the need to carry a seperate vest.

I have the same. Love the Houdini, and just happened to get a deal on an orange one, and it does serve double duty.

FatMan
01-19-2013, 10:03
There is some kind of hunting season nearly year round in Georgia. But unlike large game season in the fall, the other seasons require the hunter to be much closer to their targets. I religiously wear blaze orange during large game season, but do not during the other seasons.

BTW, the comment above that reads

"Most of the trail in the south is USFS or NPS lands, so hunting is pretty much limited to the fall/winter months."

needs some serious clarification because from my point of view it is entirely inaccurate.

topshelf
01-19-2013, 10:09
Any time theres any hunting going on its best to have bright colors on just to be safe. I learned that the hard way, I was shot at during spring turkey season, thank God the guy was a horrible shot and thank God he made it back to his truck and peeled out before i got to him. That happened 2 years ago. I'm trying to get money now for a bright safety orange pack from ULA.