PDA

View Full Version : AT tomorrow- Mid VA

aficion
01-18-2013, 01:10
Day hiking 12 mile circuit from Long Mtn wayside N on FSR to Wiggins Spring Rd, then East a mile to AT.
South on AT over Cole's Mtn and Bald Mtn to starting point. Starting at dawn for a twelve mile day hike in appx 6 inches of new snow, crossing two 4,000 footers on AT. Expected weather is clear and right around freezing. What would you wear and carry? I'll check back with you when I get back and share what I wore/took. Look forward to your before and after recommendations and comments.

I'll have to get down to Damascus another time. Good luck with the Blue Blaze opening!

scudder
01-18-2013, 11:26
I did an out and back from Long Mtn to Cole's Mt summit 2 weeks ago. There was an inch of snow left over from Christmas that had melted and refrozen so dropping off Bald heading northbound was sort of like a luge run. I was wishing for trekking poles and traction devices but had neither. So I found two sticks and used them to slow my slides, steady my footing etc. and made the 10 miles in 6-7 hrs only falling once. On the return trip, I saw a place where folks with Yaktrax had decided to turn around. I recommend layers (I was fine with a fleece and a midweight down hoodie), gloves, and the aforementioned poles and spikes. Have a safe trip!

HikerMom58
01-18-2013, 11:38
Sounds fun aficion... can't wait for the trip report. Should be beautiful! :)

tds1195
01-18-2013, 11:39
Have fun! Let us know how it goes.