PDA

View Full Version : Regret Hiking the Trail?

dukakis
01-18-2013, 05:22
I have read countless threads about how the trail has changed the lives of people who have embarked on a thru-hike.

I'm a realist, so I have to ask: Is there anyone out there that regrets their choice?

mtnkngxt
01-18-2013, 07:20
I'm sure there are some. Missed love connections, injuries, dropping off and not being able to finish. Starting off morbidly obese and realizing by the time they reached the top of Springer they were not prepared for the trail having quit their jobs, sold their car, and spending a couple grand on gear. The last guy was having a good cry/scream fest when I happened upon him.

dukakis
01-18-2013, 08:13
Man, I lucked out. I'm homeless, I'm lean, I don't own a car, and I'm not in a relationship! I was really just looking for an excuse to quit my job anyway. Thankfully, I'm not broke. I won't be soliciting anyone for food favors or funds.

Old Hiker
01-18-2013, 08:50
I regret not going AROUND the mud puddle instead of LNT and through it! :eek:

I'm planning again - no regrets, other than ......., other than........, nope. Can't think of any right now.

If you are planning, good luck!

BrianLe
01-18-2013, 13:21
I imagine that few who regret hiking (or attempting to hike) a long trail spend much time looking at forums like this, and that only a subset of those few would be inclined to talk about it.
There's a sort of inherent survivor bias in any discussion of thru-hiking here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

tds1195
01-18-2013, 14:05
I doubt there are too many who regret it on this forum...for the most part it seems like AT enthusiasts are here...haven't encountered any troll yet! lol

max patch
01-18-2013, 14:22
I doubt there are too many who regret it on this forum...for the most part it seems like AT enthusiasts are here...haven't encountered any troll yet! lol

Give it time...you just joined 3 days ago!

max patch
01-18-2013, 14:25
I'm sure there are some. Missed love connections, injuries, dropping off and not being able to finish. Starting off morbidly obese and realizing by the time they reached the top of Springer they were not prepared for the trail having quit their jobs, sold their car, and spending a couple grand on gear. The last guy was having a good cry/scream fest when I happened upon him.

Except for whole crying/screaming thing I was going to say just about the same thing.

The year I hiked a guy was walking too close to the road near the NOC and got clipped by a truck. Broke his leg. I'm guessing he wished he hadn't started a thru.

atmilkman
01-18-2013, 15:11

They'll be here Sunday.

tds1195
01-18-2013, 15:15

Awww man! There are trolls on here? I figured this would be a safe haven away from online downers...