PDA

View Full Version : AWOL Guide vs Thru-Hiker's Campanion

Jcmyers78
01-18-2013, 11:24
Which guide do you believe is better to use and carry on the trail?

Gurooves
01-18-2013, 11:29
EVERYONE told me that AWOL was the best, but it seems that it is not always accurate and people sometime call him A HOLE!

Lando11
01-18-2013, 11:41
The AWOL guide isn't perfect, but it is much better then the companion. My complaint with the companion is it lacks way too many water sources. In 2011, I threw mine out in VA and quickly purchased the AWOL guide and was much happier having accurate reliable data.
The Companion does give a bit more info on random things along the trail (Audie Murphy monument comes to mind), but that is its only saving grace.

swjohnsey
01-18-2013, 11:44
I've used both. I like AWOLs better. The elevation guide comes in handy.

CyborgAT
01-18-2013, 11:48
AWOL, much easier to read and find info than the Companion. I went with AWOL last year and again this year

Rain Man
01-18-2013, 12:01
EVERYONE told me that AWOL was the best, but it seems that it is not always accurate and people sometime call him A HOLE!

Are these people too cheap to buy a current version, then whining that the old version is no longer accurate? Or, just thru-hikers with a sense of entitlement to perfection, who get their panties in a wad easily, even strolling through the woods on vacation?

Rain:sunMan

Astro
01-18-2013, 12:11
I have used both and prefer AWOL (fromat, elevations, easy to read, etc..). Please note there have been multiple threads on this. You might want to try using the Search feature.

MyName1sMud
01-18-2013, 12:27
AWOLS by a long shot

hikingshoes
01-18-2013, 12:33
I have to 2009 Appalachian Pages which is my go to book. All the GPS coordinates are right on for as trailheads,road crossings,etc. I alos use the elevation chg. just to let me know when Im close to the top(lol). I need to pickup a new one. I've use both,I just like how AWOL book is layed out. HYOH

VTATHiker
01-18-2013, 12:48
+1 for AWOL's. He also a really good fella and helped me out when I lost part of mine this year. I hiked with two other sobos this year who didn't have it (one had the companion, the other just had the data book) and they were always asking me about what was up ahead...

Deer Hunter
01-18-2013, 12:57
I've used both. I like AWOLs better. The elevation guide comes in handy.

Elevation charts is why I buy AWOLS.

Bumpa
01-18-2013, 15:13
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does "AWOL" stand for

Jcmyers78
01-18-2013, 15:28
The name of the book is AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. From what I can tell it is referred to as AWOL.

Bumpa
01-18-2013, 15:31
The name of the book is AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. From what I can tell it is referred to as AWOL.

Thanks for the info.

Deer Hunter
01-18-2013, 15:34
I believe AWOL is David Miller's trail name. David Miller is the author of the AT guidebook.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=29905

http://www.theatguide.com/

Niko
01-18-2013, 15:44
AWOL is an acronym for absent without leave which David Miller chose as his trail name. His book is very good IMO.

treesloth
01-18-2013, 15:46
Sorry if this is a stupid question but what does "AWOL" stand for

Still not sure if you got your question answered correctly, it means Absent WithOut Leave. It's a Military term for when a soldier deserts. David Miller left his job without his bosses blessing, and was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to get his job back, so he considered himself "AWOL", and so went his trail name. :-)

Karma13
01-18-2013, 15:47
Just to clarify, two different books have been mentioned here, both by AWOL.

The AT Guide. That's the trail guide for hikers.

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. That's AWOL's adventures on his own thru-hike, and thoroughly enjoyable.

shelb
01-19-2013, 12:40
My complaint with the companion is it lacks way too many water sources. .....
The Companion does give a bit more info on random things along the trail (Audie Murphy monument comes to mind), but that is its only saving grace.

Agreed. I really like the elevation guide in AWOL too!

I used the companion for my first hike and while at shelters, I compared it to AWOL's guide, finding AWOL's guide to be more helpful for my hike. I do miss some of the random info from the companion, but that does not outweigh the usefulness of the AWOL guide.

Big Suave
01-19-2013, 16:41
AWOL in my humble opinion.

Terry7
01-20-2013, 09:16
AWOL A.T. Guide

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 11:58
I like both books. We have been field editors for the AT Guide and Companion and are now just working exclusively with Sly. I am not a big profile guy. I like the element of surprise and feel like the AT Guide just has way too much info, but that is just me. The AT Guide is a big book in my opinion. Alot of the info in The Companion is actually the same as the info in The AT Guide, maps. I like the simplicity of the Companion. We get both each year to support both publications because they are both great. The thing to rememeber about guidebooks is just that, they are GUIDEbooks. Every year its always the same. People complain that info is wrong or innaccurate. My favorite is "the profile did not indicate how steep it really is". Its a line. If I carry anything, I typically rip out pages of the Companion because I feel like up here in New Hampshire its just as accurate. Not much really changes up here in terms of the trail and services. AWOL does a remarkable job each and every year and deserves a tremendous amount of credit for his work. Sly also spends a great deal of time and energy trying to coordinate with all Field Editors to make sure accurate info is gathered. Both do an excellent job of offering updates when they occur during the hiking season. Both books are great and choosing either will be a good choice.

Papa D
01-20-2013, 18:07
Well - I'm obviously in the minority on this one but I like ripping out companion pages and have enjoyed my versions of The Thru-Hiker's Companion - - I got along fine with the '08 version until sometime in 2011 I have an AWOL 2012 NOBO and it's chocked with info - maybe a little too complex for me - I don't really need the elevation profiles if I have the numbers.

If you just need something very basic that will tell you how far the next ______ is and whether the road is paved or not and what town it goes to, The Data Book is really the most simple thing to use FWIW

Bumpa
01-20-2013, 18:08
Still not sure if you got your question answered correctly, it means Absent WithOut Leave. It's a Military term for when a soldier deserts. David Miller left his job without his bosses blessing, and was pretty sure he wouldn't be able to get his job back, so he considered himself "AWOL", and so went his trail name. :-)

Thanks Treesloth....yes it has been answered...I was familiar with the military version of the term but the original discussion seemed to be about a book called "awol" which confused me......on target now

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 23:52
Well - I'm obviously in the minority on this one but I like ripping out companion pages and have enjoyed my versions of The Thru-Hiker's Companion - - I got along fine with the '08 version until sometime in 2011 I have an AWOL 2012 NOBO and it's chocked with info - maybe a little too complex for me - I don't really need the elevation profiles if I have the numbers.

If you just need something very basic that will tell you how far the next ______ is and whether the road is paved or not and what town it goes to, The Data Book is really the most simple thing to use FWIW
+1 on the Data Book

Airman
01-21-2013, 00:04
Is the AT companion the same as the AT Guide from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy?

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 00:13
Is the AT companion the same as the AT Guide from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy?The guidebook for sale on the ATC website is the Companion. The AT Guide is a different book

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 00:14
http://www.theatguide.com/
http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm