PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

rlkel0
01-18-2013, 12:20
Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm 26 years old and recently seperated from the Army, and I'm planning my thru hike of the Appalachian trail and couldn't be more excited. I did have a question about planning an itinerary. What makes for a good itinerary and how important do you really feel they are once you hit the trails? I'd imagine I wouldn't want to stop if I feel like I can keep going just because my itinerary says so, and likewise if I want to stop early their may be no need to really push past. One of the main points of a hike like this is autonomy so naturally I don't want to let my itinerary interfere with this. Is it mostly intended for planning food/mail drops and your bounce box, so you set small goals to keep you on pace for larger milestones?

Thanks!

bigcranky
01-18-2013, 12:25
Right. You need a plan, but no plan survives first contact with the enemy :). So make a plan for the first couple of weeks, but don't feel like you have to stick to it every day - just use it as a guideline. Pretty soon you'll know how many miles you want to hike on any given day, and the guidebook will tell you how many days it is to the next grocery store, and you'll be all set.

Have a great hike!

Feral Bill
01-18-2013, 12:30
Welcome to WB, and welcome home.

"Atlas"
01-18-2013, 12:53
Welcome and Thanks for your Service. Timelines are something we do to pass the time until we hit the Trail. Your mail drops should be mailed out early, as the Post Office will hold them for the whole season, so you dont have to worry about them. However, I got out of the habit of using mail drops, expensive and pointless. I could buy what I wanted close to the Trail and not have to wait until the Post opened or until I got to a Hostel.

rlkel0
01-19-2013, 14:32
Welcome and Thanks for your Service. Timelines are something we do to pass the time until we hit the Trail. Your mail drops should be mailed out early, as the Post Office will hold them for the whole season, so you dont have to worry about them. However, I got out of the habit of using mail drops, expensive and pointless. I could buy what I wanted close to the Trail and not have to wait until the Post opened or until I got to a Hostel.

I agree, I'm not really excited about the idea of mail drops or a bounce box, I'd rather just plan accordingly to known resupply points. So do you carry a large amount of cash on you? According to my research you would want at least $2000 for the duration of the trail. Isn't it kind of a security risk if there's a bunch of campers heading north with large amounts of cash on them?

Rasty
01-19-2013, 14:59
I agree, I'm not really excited about the idea of mail drops or a bounce box, I'd rather just plan accordingly to known resupply points. So do you carry a large amount of cash on you? According to my research you would want at least $2000 for the duration of the trail. Isn't it kind of a security risk if there's a bunch of campers heading north with large amounts of cash on them?

Carry a little cash ($100) and use a debit card.

rocketsocks
01-19-2013, 15:02
Never done the trail, but I imagine it's a very different hike for everyone. There is a saying amongst hikers, "Hike your own hike", or "HYOH", i'm sure you've seen this already. Simply put, I take that as, "do what you need to do". For some that may be keeping an impeccable itinerary, for others it may mean, if your cold put on your jacket, if your tired rest, when hungry eat, I fall into the later. Resupply points are noted in guide books, word of mouth is likely very useful. I guess it all depends on how you like to get your information and act on it.
have a great hike, welcome home! and:welcometo White Blaze

rlkel0
01-19-2013, 15:04
Carry a little cash ($100) and use a debit card.

duh..... I'm an airhead :-D

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 16:39
I cant remember carrying much cash at all. In fact I kept my wallet so thin that the only thing in it was a debit card, drivers licence and a photo of the kids. I stopped carrying it in my pants pocket because it got wet with sweat everyday. I put it in a bag and kept it in my pack.

Cherokee Bill
01-28-2013, 20:52
Welcome and Thanks for your Service.

At 66, I've learned a bit about multi-day hikes!

Take one day at a time
Hike your own hike
Let your body, be your guide! It will tell you when to slow down
Take a -0- day from time to time
Enjoy the bad weather and you'll appreciate the GOOD weather all that more
Eat HEALTHY food, avoid JUNK food. Your body will respond better!
Laugh a lot and enjoy your new Trail Friends
TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET
TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET
Have a good supply of Vitamine "I" on hand
Remember: Hiking the "AT" is something you'll remember the rest of your life, MAKE THE BEST OF YOUR HIKE
Oh!
And treat others, as you want them to treat you!!
Laugh a lot!

God bless and ENJOY the "Trail"!!!!