PDA

View Full Version : Chafing

TheBigHiker
01-18-2013, 12:47
I'm here to bring up another age old dilemma... chafing. :) I'm a bigger guy. 6'1" 288 lbs currently. Every time I walk more than 4 miles I chafe. Sometimes it's starting to get back. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm beginning to think I may have to just tap some pads or something between my legs.

bfayer
01-18-2013, 12:52
Body glide.

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2013, 12:57
I have big thighs and chaffing is a constant issue, I run reguarly and it keeps that area perpetually toughened. I hate using products, just for comfort.

"Atlas"
01-18-2013, 12:57
I too am a big guy. I use synthetic underwear similar to spandex They are long enough to keep me from chafing. Body Glide is a product that a lot of people are using too. It goes on like a deodorant. People are using it in place of underwear even.

RedBeerd
01-18-2013, 13:01
I bathe my legs and sensitive areas with body glide before runs, bike rides, and hikes. Works great. There's a Gold Bond version too but I haven't tried it.

TheBigHiker
01-18-2013, 13:05
I too am a big guy. I use synthetic underwear similar to spandex They are long enough to keep me from chafing. Body Glide is a product that a lot of people are using too. It goes on like a deodorant. People are using it in place of underwear even.

Which underwear are you using if you don't mind me asking? So far the things I chafe the least in are just Hanes boxers. I'm going to try a bigger size of compression shorts.

TheBigHiker
01-18-2013, 13:06
I've tried body glide before and it wears off after about a half hour. I'm a bit knocked-kneed too... when it rains it pours I guess... ;)

bfayer
01-18-2013, 13:10
I've tried body glide before and it wears off after about a half hour. I'm a bit knocked-kneed too... when it rains it pours I guess... ;)

Tights

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tds1195
01-18-2013, 13:10
I wear compression shorts at the moment and always keep a small bottle of Gold Bond with me. I put the Gold Bond on before and after a hike - I"m going to try the Body Glide, though. See if it works better.

ChinMusic
01-18-2013, 13:22
Under Armour Boxerbrief Originals 9" is the gold standard for underwear as far as I'm concerned. It will stop chafing from your thighs.

If you chafe on your backside Desitin is your friend.

TheBigHiker
01-18-2013, 13:25
I chafe right at the top of my legs where no underwear will ever touch. I'll try this stuff out. I appreciate it!

ChinMusic
01-18-2013, 13:28
I chafe right at the top of my legs where no underwear will ever touch. I'll try this stuff out. I appreciate it!

Compression-type underwear may hold your skin in a way that does affect that area. That said, the Bodyglide rec is a good one.

RCBear
01-18-2013, 14:33
I was going to mention body glide hands down. Use it for this and on my feet. Never had one issue since, but it sounds like it didn't work well for you.

patman25
01-18-2013, 14:40
I have had this same exact problem.

Make sure the compression shorts you buy are big enough. If you get them too tight, they will shove your skin/fat to the top and actually make them rub together. I've found that in general I wear a Large, but I get XL for compression shorts because they stay tight, and fit in every nook just right! So if you can afford it, maybe even try two or three sizes to see what fits the best.

TheBigHiker
01-18-2013, 15:29
I have had this same exact problem.

Make sure the compression shorts you buy are big enough. If you get them too tight, they will shove your skin/fat to the top and actually make them rub together. I've found that in general I wear a Large, but I get XL for compression shorts because they stay tight, and fit in every nook just right! So if you can afford it, maybe even try two or three sizes to see what fits the best.

I bought some XL yesterday according to the size guide. Then I read online they fit small. I'll try some XXL. My wife, who is pretty athletic, told me they fit too tight.

Thanks for all the responses! I feel like there should definitely be a solution in here somewhere! Thanks

leaftye
01-18-2013, 18:31
9" inseam boxer briefs and Bag Balm.

For larger sizes of boxer briefs, the Starter brand in Walmart stores and the UnderArmour website are the places to go.

Like you, I found that Body Glide doesn't work well. Bag Balm works much better. It makes your crotch a greasy mess though, so while it's great on day hikes where you can wash yourself and your clothing afterwards, I would avoid using it on backpacking trips.

Starchild
01-18-2013, 21:14
Vaseline helps out and tends to have staying power. I usually use it on foot hot spots and nothing, not even mole skin or blister pads works better in my experience.

leaftye
01-18-2013, 21:28
I've found that Vaseline does work better than Body Glide, but not as well as Bag Balm.

slntmnt
01-19-2013, 00:39
I haven't tried it yet myself but i've heard several people swear by vagisil as the ultimate defense/treatment for chafing. They were so convincing that i'm definitely going to carry some with me.

shelb
01-19-2013, 01:07
I wear compression shorts at the moment and always keep a small bottle of Gold Bond with me. I put the Gold Bond on before and after a hike - I"m going to try the Body Glide, though. See if it works better.

My hubbie has been backpacking for 15 years - which encompassed his prime weight and 70# over weight. As a scoutmaster, he has hiked with people age 11 through adult - ranging in weight from scary-skinny to major-over weight. Cur'ts advise on chafing:

1st defense: proper underwear: boxer briefs from outfitter or compression shorts from Walmart ($12)- Ladies - Note: buy the guys compression shorts that are all black - They look like cycling shorts!
2nd Defense: Anti-Chafing Creme: Honestly, our troop of boys/leaders has gone through them all. We highly recommend Body Glide. In second comes Gold Bond (power or ointment is a personal preference). Body Glide may be found at any Outfitters, Dicks, or Dunhams. You may have to ask about it as it is often moved to the area of the current seasonal sport.

Side Note: Body Glide works well for ANY anti-chafing (heel, shoulders, etc.).

Osiris
01-19-2013, 01:23
For chaffing on the backside I have found baby wipes, the non alcohol type, work well for preventing any discomfort. The problem with some chaffing is the build up of salt crystals from sweat. If you are going to sit after a long sweaty hike then take a moment to find some place private to, well... "Wipe" away the sweat with a couple of baby wipes. While this might be a bit of a hassle it to me is much easier and more comfortable then having a "greasy bum" I found that twice a day seems to keep away the chaffing. Once before lunch and once before dinner. I am still pretty new to long hikes tho and have found that with time, and I assume toughening of my skin that I can go much longer without chaffing.

renais
01-19-2013, 09:38
I found that bag balm and body glide worked well, but did not care for the residue if I was going to be out for a long time. Anti Monkey Butt powder does an excellent job at both preventing chaffing, and healing, and it does not leave a residue. For me, keeping clean is the key, followed by 9 inch boxer shorts. If needed, the powder is the last line of defense.

wcgornto
01-19-2013, 09:47
Ex Officio boxer briefs. Pricey but fantastic. The only underdrawers I wear.

shelb
01-19-2013, 12:10
..... body glide hands down. Use it for this and on my feet......

Body glide is great to prevent blisters on feet, but if I get a blister - I have found that duct tape works way better than mole skin.

TrailMate
01-20-2013, 03:23
Tinactin powder works well.

nickfusco89
01-20-2013, 04:21
Under Armour Boxerbrief Originals 9" is the gold standard for underwear as far as I'm concerned. It will stop chafing from your thighs.

If you chafe on your backside Desitin is your friend.

These are definitely the best. I don't own any other underwear anymore.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 16:15
Of note about Compression Shorts. The Inseam length. I have found that the longer ones are the only ones that really work. The short ones by Under Armor are just too short. I bought three pairs for the Trail, all of them are longer ones and have served me well.

moldy
01-20-2013, 20:36
Diaper rash cream, works better than anything else. It's thick so it stays with you, it has an antibiotic and a pain killer so the baby stops crying and me too...

gsimp18
01-20-2013, 22:11
Gold bond and desitin saved me on my thru hike this past year

leaftye
01-20-2013, 22:21
I bet most of the people here aren't qualified to respond. That is, I think most folks in here are skinny and really have no idea what chafing is like for big folks. This guy is 288 lbs and 6'1". I'm 250 lbs and 5'10", although I usually start section hikes at 225 lbs.

TheBigHiker
01-20-2013, 22:47
The problem is that I'm fat. The fat at the top of my legs rubs together in a place where compression shorts don't ever go. When they do go up there, I found out over the last couple of days, that I chafe from the shorts faster than if I just use a drying powder. I tried bag balm and that helped a little. I'm going to keep giving this a whirl. I may enlist my Dr. on this for suggestions. I'll keep you posted.

This is what I'll try now: diaper rash cream, gold bond and desitin.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll keep going and figure something out!!!

TheBigHiker
01-20-2013, 22:49
I bet most of the people here aren't qualified to respond. That is, I think most folks in here are skinny and really have no idea what chafing is like for big folks. This guy is 288 lbs and 6'1". I'm 250 lbs and 5'10", although I usually start section hikes at 225 lbs.

That's true. I don't chafe down my legs. I can walk an easy 8 miles without any problems except at the very top where my legs turn into my perineum (aka taint).

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 23:25
This guy WAS over 375 lbs! I know about chaffing. I lost the weight and got in shape so I could join the Army. I am still a big guy. I must admit I dont like the feeling of the body glide or powders. The shorts worked so go for me that it is all I use long compression shorts.

ChinMusic
01-20-2013, 23:35
This guy WAS over 375 lbs! I know about chaffing. I lost the weight and got in shape so I could join the Army. I am still a big guy. I must admit I dont like the feeling of the body glide or powders. The shorts worked so go for me that it is all I use long compression shorts.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

TheBigHiker
01-20-2013, 23:40
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Your point is...? I really don't get what you're saying. I've tried long compression shorts and I chafed. I may just have to deal with it.

leaftye
01-21-2013, 00:02
That's true. I don't chafe down my legs. I can walk an easy 8 miles without any problems except at the very top where my legs turn into my perineum (aka taint).

I've had that before. It is surely weight related, although the last time I experienced that was when I weighed less. I'm not sure I'd call it chafing though. It was more of a grinding of the taint. Like an indian burn. Lube might be able to help with that, but I'm not so sure. Thankfully mine went away after I took some time off. I started using Bag Balm after this.

You mentioned you tried Bag Balm. I use a healthy dollop of it. It feels disgusting, like I suppose it would if I sharted. It's worked though. Perhaps try taking some time off to heal and for the swelling to subside, then try again with even more lube. It may feel disgusting, but it'd be worth it to me if it allows me to do day hikes without that pain.

ChinMusic
01-21-2013, 00:17
Desitin works well in this area too.

ktest
01-21-2013, 02:13
Tights.

No, seriously. If all else fails, try tights / panty hose. You're looking for the kind with thicker fabric at the top, I think they're sometimes called control top. They're thinner and stretchier than compression shorts, so they'll fit into all the, ahem, nooks and crannies better. Plus, the fabric is much less likely to actually cause chafing. Hopefully you won't have to go so far, but there you have it, if none of the other remedies here work.

TheBigHiker
01-21-2013, 02:35
No, seriously. If all else fails, try tights / panty hose. You're looking for the kind with thicker fabric at the top, I think they're sometimes called control top. They're thinner and stretchier than compression shorts, so they'll fit into all the, ahem, nooks and crannies better. Plus, the fabric is much less likely to actually cause chafing. Hopefully you won't have to go so far, but there you have it, if none of the other remedies here work.

Thanks! I'm willing to give anything a go. :)

bfayer
01-21-2013, 07:35

I meant is seriously.

RCBear
01-21-2013, 08:02
I also find that hiking au natural (insert French accent) allows greater air flow into the regions and allows me to stay drier. In temps that don't require laying that is. My legs like for many don't need as much protection as my torso as well.

Toolshed
01-21-2013, 08:07
As a former big buy with big legs (used to be a powerlifter/bodybuilder), years ago, I used to get horrendous chafing between my thighs and also on my backside. I can echo what others have done....I used Desinex to stop the pain, butI really needed something preventative and not smell so fishy (Beaudreaux's Butt Paste doesn't smell fishy). For a while, I tried Bodyglide (I found it works well) I tried Vaseline - also works well. what really helped was I changed my wardrobe. I started hiking in running tights in coller weather and in the same style tights, but shorter in summer (bike shorts without pads). To this I added carrying a few wet wipes in a ziplock on shorter trips and cleaned up wheneverI stopped. Over time, I found this is what ultimately worked for me. I also now use the gold bond brand of silicon skin lube on my thighs, backside and also the soles of my feet and sometimes in really hot weatherm between my toes.. Good luck!!!

Big Dawg
01-22-2013, 04:26
Body Glide Body Glide Body Glide Body Glide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maui Rhino
01-22-2013, 06:29
I am also a big guy, and I know a thing or two about chafing. I still have scars on my thighs from 20+ years ago in the Marine Corps. Freeballing, 9" Underarmor, Bodyglide--Been There, Done That. They all help, especially the Underarmor and Bodyglide. But the first step is to hand my wife the electric trimmers and have her do some manscaping. Keeping the hair trimmed allows the body to glide easier. However, do NOT use a razor. You will break out as the stubble starts coming out of the skin. The electric trimmer leaves enough stubble to prevent this, but stops the hair from acting like sandpaper as you walk.

Porkroll
01-23-2013, 20:58
As another BIG MAN here, 6' 4", 330 lbs, I use the UA Compression shorts, 9". I also like to use the Gold Bond powder.

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2013, 21:10
+1 on Atlas and Chinmusic's posts.... I agree

nickfusco89
01-24-2013, 00:07
I am 330 pounds and 6'1 so I definitely know how you feel. I used to work outside doing a lot of walking and I was chafing so bad that I was bleeding. After switching to the 9 inch Under Armour Original underwear I never chafed again. I wear a XXL and they fit snug, but that is necessary so they can't move at all.

leaftye
01-24-2013, 00:16
Changing into dry underwear, or no underwear, to sleep is a good idea too. Something to let your groin breathe better, and thus get better. Our boxer briefs claim to wick and breath, but they sure trap an awful lot of moisture at night. A lot of powder might work okay as a substitute. Of course this may not be necessary if a kilt is used. I wish I knew. I don't have a kilt but I really want to try one later this year. I'm hoping Mountain Hardwear does another run of their kilts.

TheBigHiker
01-24-2013, 04:49
I am 330 pounds and 6'1 so I definitely know how you feel. I used to work outside doing a lot of walking and I was chafing so bad that I was bleeding. After switching to the 9 inch Under Armour Original underwear I never chafed again. I wear a XXL and they fit snug, but that is necessary so they can't move at all.

You mean these? http://www.amazon.com/Original-Boxerjock®-Bottoms-Under-Armour/dp/B005CR6P96/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359017401&sr=8-3&keywords=under+armour+original+underwear

ChinMusic
01-24-2013, 10:31
You mean these? http://www.amazon.com/Original-Boxerjock®-Bottoms-Under-Armour/dp/B005CR6P96/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359017401&sr=8-3&keywords=under+armour+original+underwear

yes.......

Josh Calhoun
01-24-2013, 10:58
something that really helped me was the short running shorts with the netting type material that "Hugs you". made a world of difference for the inside of my legs. i do not wear underwear. just not needed. but i do carry the tiny body glide sticks also just in case.

nickfusco89
01-24-2013, 21:46

This is it.

TheBigHiker
01-24-2013, 23:31
I just tried my exofficio boxers again today. I've lost weight and no chafing except on my backside, which is a major step in the right direction. This is good. I'll try the under armour ones next and compare! Thanks everyone.

leaftye
01-24-2013, 23:57
Fwiw, I heard back from Mountain Hardwear and they said they'll have another batch of kilts next month.

daddytwosticks
01-25-2013, 08:35
Like others have said, being able to clean up/wipe down and the end of the day (plus Gold Bond!) really helps. Sleeping in clean cloths at night helps too. :)

TheBigHiker
01-28-2013, 14:56
OK... went out for 5 miles yesteray, with pack and going up and down a mountain. I had on exofficio boxers... zero chafing. All I did beforehand was put on some zeasorb. I went up a size in the boxers to xxl from xl. I'll keep trying this and report back. It was good to only have sore knees at the end! I was surprised by the results by the way.

G-FOURce
01-28-2013, 22:12
I got my UA Touch Boxerjocks today. After reading this thread I bought 'em a size up and theyre great!

Tree Nerd
02-04-2013, 16:53
I wear compression shorts and vasaline the areas that start to chafe.

smenk
03-28-2013, 14:47
My husband complained of the same thing all the time. So a friend and I just launched a product called Turq Swimbrief. It's like a compression short, only more lightweight (vented or pointelle for you fashion mavens) so you don't have swass or swalls. Also it is made from a seamless knitting process that is the same one they use for ladies jog bras. We are only available online and in one store in CTl (Outdoor Traders in Greenwich). www.turqswim.com (http://www.turqswim.com/). Upside is that it is also made for swimming so you can wear it under your boardshorts in the kayaks, SUP or fishing. If you like us, then "like" us on Facebook too....www.facebook.com/turqswim Best of luck boys...we are doing what we can to keep you happy. Love to hear feedback from the trail...

aficion
03-28-2013, 14:49
Body glide.

yep........good stuff