View Full Version : Strategy for just carrying portions of The A.T.Guide

old geezer
01-18-2013, 15:07
How does one avoid carrying the whole book on a thru hike
Thanks
Johnnie Walker

BCPete
01-18-2013, 15:14
If you go to any printing business with a copy centre ... you can get them to cut the spine off the book, and plastic coil bind it back together. Just have them coil 3 or 4 different sections to give 3 or 4 books - then mail drop them to yourself when you switch out cold weather gear for summer gear (or whatever). Have them put on clear front & back covers to give the book some durability.

SCRUB HIKER
01-18-2013, 15:40
What are you guys talking about? Are you talking about AWOL's The AT Guide? If so, order it in looseleaf (that's one of AWOL's more ingenious ideas). Divide it into a half-dozen sections and arrange to mail each new section to yourself at the place where the old one is about to run out. Directions for mailing are in the book itself.

CarlZ993
01-18-2013, 17:05
What are you guys talking about? Are you talking about AWOL's The AT Guide? If so, order it in looseleaf (that's one of AWOL's more ingenious ideas). Divide it into a half-dozen sections and arrange to mail each new section to yourself at the place where the old one is about to run out. Directions for mailing are in the book itself.
This is what I'll do. I also bought a traditionally bound book for my wife. That way, we can both be on the same sheet of music should we need to change keys.

BCPete
01-18-2013, 19:06
If so, order it in looseleaf (that's one of AWOL's more ingenious ideas).

I did not know that. I was planning on ordering this book soon, so that's great to know ... thanks!

MuddyWaters
01-26-2013, 02:34
put it in a bounce box and mail it forward to yourself.
Cut out the pages you need for each section between postal locations, and carry in ziplock.
Since each pages covers ~40-50 miles, you only need to carry a couple pages at a time for mileage and upcoming town map/services.

dukakis
01-26-2013, 03:19
If you're planning on carrying a Tablet or Smartphone, you can now download a digital copy from AWOL for less than $8.00.

Chaco Taco
01-26-2013, 11:36
rip out pages in town

swjohnsey
01-26-2013, 12:04
Order AWOL guide loose leaf. Take it to a copy place and they will punch a couple of holes at the binding edge. Cut up a cheap plastic binder/report cover to a size slightly larger than page (2 needed with holes to match pages). Use zip ties to bind together. You can make the pages smaller by folding the over. Make the cover bright orange so you don't leave it layin' around.

Theosus
01-26-2013, 23:32
If you're planning on carrying a Tablet or Smartphone, you can now download a digital copy from AWOL for less than $8.00.

Download? Just take photos of the relevant pages with your phone, for free... Of course by the time you do all that it might be worth paying for it to save you the trouble.

ChuckBrown
01-27-2013, 04:22
I used muddy's system...bounce box and removing pages as needed. However that was at the turn of the century . Just yesterday I downloaded the ALDHA companion in PDF, now it will be on my iPhone.