PDA

View Full Version : Need to get back in shape for a thru

maybe clem
01-18-2013, 18:59
Several months of health issues have left me feeling like Jabba the Hutt. I can comfortably walk 2 miles (urban, not hiking) with a light day pack so it's not quite that bad, but I am out of shape and overweight. There's one more surgery to get through and after that I'll have about 20 weeks to prepare for my CT thru.

I've trained for and run half marathons before, so my plan is to work up the mileage in a similar way, by walking daily and adding a 1/4 - 1/2 mile until I can comfortably walk an urban 14-mile day about once a week. I'll try to get onto the local mountain trails as often as I can but they're a bit of a drive.

My question is about increasing the pack weight. Would it be better to increase my mileage and once I've met that goal, start start increasing my pack weight, or should I do both simultaneously? Anyone want to share experiences?

Papa D
01-18-2013, 19:05
Sounds like you already have a plan so good luck with it - maybe add a Camel Back. The only real training for backpacking up and down mountain trails though is actually doing it, IMO - good luck

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2013, 19:20
My question is about increasing the pack weight. Would it be better to increase my mileage and once I've met that goal, start start increasing my pack weight, or should I do both simultaneously? Anyone want to share experiences?I look at this in the same way as working out with weights. When weightlifting after a long layoff or just getting into it, I believe one should lift a given weight that can be easily lifted for a given rep, say 10 reps and work towards increasing the reps to the point to where the weight can be done fairly easily for say 20 reps, then increase the weight.

The reason for this is not a real concern for the muscle, because muscles are tough and can take abuse, rather out of an abundant caution not to injure connective tissue/joints; those injuries are so easily caused and many cases there's not even a "warning signal" during the activity, especially in the beginning (or new beginnings, in your case), and they take so long to heal. The plus side for you is that this is nothing new, so you'll build up faster than someone that has never done anything like this.

Once you get your legs back then it's not such a delicate issue of balancing an increase in weight/distance, but I'm always very conservative in increasing those things in the beginning.

brian039
01-18-2013, 19:49
Follow the physical therapy regimen for whatever surgery it is you're having. It's hard to give you good advice without knowing what you're having surgery for. General conditioning is usually good enough for getting into hiking shape and losing any extra weight you might have put on while recovering would be most helpful. A walking program should work just fine and if you walk with a pack then all the better. I always follow the "add 10% per week" rule in things I train for.

Dash
01-18-2013, 19:53
I started training back in july for the hike doing all kind of stuff. I got down to 160 LBS and that simply will not work for my winter/spring hike.
MY new training involves carrot cake, ice cream and pizza! Looking to hit the trail at a healthy 175lbs.........

Del Q
01-18-2013, 21:25
HILLS WITH AND WITHOUT A PACK

I mean steep hills, for like an hour every other day

This is what has helped me to get ready for tough section hikes.

maybe clem
01-19-2013, 05:46
The surgery I'm having is on my jaw so it's not anything that directly affects walking or carrying a pack. I'll start walking regularly as soon as the doctor says it's okay to do so. I was just wondering if I should build up to walking 14 miles days and then start increasing pack weight or walk and increase pack weight at the same time. I like the 10% idea - I might do that as I'm building up mileage.

leaftye
01-19-2013, 06:23
My question is about increasing the pack weight. Would it be better to increase my mileage and once I've met that goal, start start increasing my pack weight, or should I do both simultaneously? Anyone want to share experiences?

I don't even train with a pack. With a light pack, I don't find it very beneficial. I do lift weights though.

I would just start walking. If you get to the point where you can't increase duration or speed, then go ahead and add some weight.

Storm
01-19-2013, 12:02
Going through a simular situation. I had back surgery on Jan 3rd.. Have a ten pound weight restriction for at least a month. I was told I could walk when I felt like it but not with a pack for at least the 30 days. I have already started walking again, 3 to 6 miles on local, level trails. My plan is to start carrying my pack with at least my base weight as soon as the doctor okays it. That would be around 16 pounds. Then gradually add weight and miles as my fitness level returns. (at my age thats a big if too). I would like to get back to the AT this year, probably won't attempt a thru but maybe another large section. Wishing you the best.