PDA

View Full Version : Could YOU get a Leave of Absence from work to hike the AT?

prain4u
01-18-2013, 20:30
A discussion on another thread got me thinking about these two questions:

1) "Do you think that your employer (or past employers if you are now retired or unemployed) would grant you a Leave of Absence" in order to hike the AT?

2) If so, how long of a Leave of Absence do you think that your employer would grant you?

Papa D
01-18-2013, 20:36
I work for myself and I do so so that I can grant myself whatever time I need to do whatever I want to do and I take full advantage. Now, I have a wife and a kid so at the moment, I give myself 2 and 3 week leaves of absence (to stick with your terms). When my daughter is older, I'll give myself 3 or 4 months. My best guess is that I only live once so while I enjoy my work, I am not a slave to it. If you want a big time leave of absence to hike the AT and your employer won't grant you this, you won't get it in another life. I would suggest quitting. Do you really think you won't find another job when you return. I bet you have a great skill set - you'll land on your feet. Just go.

johnnybgood
01-18-2013, 20:37
No. Just a thought...this thread should be designed as a poll.

hikerboy57
01-18-2013, 20:42
No. Just a thought...this thread should be designed as a poll.
good idea...........

johnnybgood
01-18-2013, 20:46
My best guess is that I only live once so while I enjoy my work, I am not a slave to it. If you want a big time leave of absence to hike the AT and your employer won't grant you this, you won't get it in another life. I would suggest quitting. Do you really think you won't find another job when you return. I bet you have a great skill set - you'll land on your feet. Just go.

I totally have bought into this philosophy as well. I now need to set plans in motion, I'm thinking 2014, but might do a shakedown hike this fall to finish off my home state. I figure 3 weeks of hiking terrapin speed will do it.

prain4u
01-18-2013, 20:55
Here is my answer in regard to the "standard" jobs that I have held:
Most (or all) of my past (non-church) employers had official Leave of Absence policies. However, such policies clearly stated that a Leave of Absence was only for things such as medical issues, military duty, receiving additional education which directly benefited the employer etc. Most of the leave of absence policies specifically stated that a leave of absence COULD NOT be used for things such as a long vacation or personal enrichment.

Here is my "unique" answer for my church job: (Only a few other WhiteBlaze people are probably employed in church jobs):

I have been serving as the pastor of my current church for nearly 22 years. (The past 14 years part-time). In the past, I have been away from this church for months at a time for military duty as a chaplain with the National Guard. Thus, they are used to me being gone. HOWEVER, that was for military duty and not for a hiking trip. One is an absence where the government has ordered me to be gone and the other is for a personal choice and "for fun". (Note: Unlike other jobs, Federal law does not require churches to hold a job open for a pastor who is away on military duty).

My guess is (after 22 years of employment), that I could MAYBE (reluctantly) get a 1-3 month leave of absence out of them (with some church members still holding it against me and passive aggressively finding ways to "get revenge" for my absence.). I think requesting a 5-7 month Leave of Absence for hiking would very likely be "Dead On Arrival". (Furthermore, because I and my family live in a house owned by the church--quitting or being fired also means that I lose my housing and would have to move prior to a hike).

prain4u
01-18-2013, 21:00
A poll is a good idea--but I don't know how to do that. (Let's not have 7 people now design separate polls on this subject!)

AllTheWayToMordor
01-18-2013, 21:03
I didn't ask, but I think I could have gotten one from my company... I quit anyway, but they said the door was always open for me if I wanted to come back.

BobTheBuilder
01-18-2013, 21:06
My answer is Yes. My leave of absence to finish the last 1200 miles or so starts in May of 2015.

Danl
01-18-2013, 21:21
No, they did not care about employees, unless you could get a doctor to write a stress leave script.

Cosmo
01-18-2013, 21:24
I work at a college. Higher Ed generally sees value in granting leaves of absence. More for faculty than for support staff, but it's not a foreign concept. For faculty seeking tenure, they are generally expected to use a leave to do scholarly work in their field in a manner that they could not do while teaching regular classes and engaging in committee work. That said, its entirely up to the individual as to what they spend their time on while they are away.

You can certainly drag out the stereotype of the overpaid, underworked professor--I've definitely seen that--but most work pretty hard at what they do. As a kind of half staff, half faculty person (they call us "Lecturer's" here), I can get a leave probably every 6-10 years if I wanted to. I did in 2007, and spent a chunk of that time hiking the Trail. The larger constraint is that by the time you've got a reasonable amount of seniority, your life is not entirely your own--spouses, kids, aging parents, etc. So while I could get leave, getting the time is not so easy.

What I did find out during my 2007 leave is that I'm probably not a thru-hiker. I just don't seem to have the patience to hike every day for months at a time. Two weeks--and I start getting antsy about the rest of the things in my life. So call me an uncommitted section hiker.

My advice to you, if you are at the beginning of your career path, don't hesitate to take the time off. It will only get harder to find the time later on.

Cosmo

hikingirl
01-18-2013, 21:30
My friend's boss is letting him take a 3 month leave of absence. :)

Brian3211
01-18-2013, 21:45
I just asked my employer this on Monday, I told him the reason and he just laughed and said no. He said that was to much time because alot of things can change in half a year. I work for a small company who is still growing and I have a pretty good relationship with my boss. As much as I like my job and my boss I am still tempted to quit and hike the AT this year.

stranger
01-18-2013, 22:42
A discussion on another thread got me thinking about these two questions:

1) "Do you think that your employer (or past employers if you are now retired or unemployed) would grant you a Leave of Absence" in order to hike the AT?

2) If so, how long of a Leave of Absence do you think that your employer would grant you?

1. Yes (I've gotten 3 LOA in the past 5 years)
2. For an AT they-hike I would get 7 months all up

stranger
01-18-2013, 22:43
I HATE my iPhone ( typos )

RedRunnerJumper
01-19-2013, 00:58
My employer would not allow a leave of absence for a well forget 5-6 months.. That's why i am quitting to thru hike.

Northern Lights
01-19-2013, 02:02
Yes they grant loa for any reason, they do not care what you are doing with your time. The only rule is that you have five years of service and when you come back there is no guarantee you will get your same position back. But they will find something for you. You can take up to six months off. Anything more and it is considered abandonment of your position.

mtnkngxt
01-19-2013, 09:11
Nope, but I did score 30 days next July and August to do the JMT. I'll take it.

dukakis
01-19-2013, 12:06
Yes. My company gave me a two month LOA to travel throughout Europe after only 16 months on the job.

Malto
01-19-2013, 13:51
My last employer did grant me a 100 day loa. I worked it over a year ahead of time and kept the duration as short as possible which I believed helped. That timing required a fast pace to complete my hike (pct) but I it was a great experience. I think more employers will be allowing this in the future. Younger folks seem to value blocks off to go around the world or other pursuits. In reality, while it is an inconvenience it doesn't cost a company diddly. It also helps if you can paint a picture of how your absence could be covered.

WalkinHome
01-19-2013, 14:03
I was able to secure a 6 month leave from Verizon (then Bell Atlantic) but it was pure luck that I got it. I happened to be switching jobs within the Company and my old boss was going to deny it but my new boss said "Have a nice trip!". Lucky or what? It would have been a deal stopper (actually a deal put-er off-er LOL). I have, in the past, and known folks that did quit their jobs and their employers said they would have a job when they returned. Back in 2000, some employers still valued their employees. Now.......

gstab
01-19-2013, 15:58
My employer (IT/consulting) gave me an unpaid LOA for a whopping 7 months to thru hike the trail this year. I've been with them for over three years and they'll give up to three months for each year with the company, up to a maximum of nine months. It's all unpaid, but they're helping me with healthcare, which is great. I guess it depends on your employer, how well they're doing, how much they value you, and if they're sure you're coming back afterwards. My wife is quitting her job (counseling), but her employer has said that they may hire her back afterwards if she wants to come back.

Overall, I think it really helps to paint the opportunity for a LOA in a positive light. "Going on an adventure that's a life goal" sounds much more appealing than "leaving the project/company for a long time". And it helps to have a senior level boss/coworker that believes in you and can advocate for you.

chief
01-19-2013, 18:20
Since you include former employment for us retirees...

In my former career there was never any need for LOA. For each month worked, I earned a months paid leave. I generally worked 4 months at a time, then took 4 months off. I once worked 14 months straight and had 14 months off. If that sounds too good to you, keep in mind I had to live at my workplace, was on call 'round the clock, and had zero days off until I went on leave (if I got relieved, sometimes not - hence the 14 months mentioned above).

robertblake60
01-22-2013, 17:49
I just asked my employer this on Monday, I told him the reason and he just laughed and said no. He said that was to much time because alot of things can change in half a year. I work for a small company who is still growing and I have a pretty good relationship with my boss. As much as I like my job and my boss I am still tempted to quit and hike the AT this year.

If you're tempted, just DO IT. Take it from me, the trail will beckon you every year and your job will always just be a job.

AtomicLlama
01-22-2013, 18:17
I am fairly certain that my employer would not grant me a Leave of Absence. However, based on the frequent turnover and other people's experience here, I am fairly certain that I could quit, hike the trail, and then get hired back.

Getting my wife to grant me a Leave of Absence would be the real challenge.

2NewKnees
01-22-2013, 21:17
Unfortunately no. I'm a HS teacher and football coach. So, I would be replaced immediately. Maybe I'll quit and take off in a month!!

2NewKnees
01-22-2013, 21:20
If you're tempted, just DO IT. Take it from me, the trail will beckon you every year and your job will always just be a job.

This is so true. Only concern is actually finding a good job when you get back.

Papa D
01-22-2013, 22:34
This is so true. Only concern is actually finding a good job when you get back.

I'm going to be serious here: Everything that I have ever worried about in life has worked out ok. I took 5 months to backpack, I took a year to ski, I waited until I was 33 to get married and until I was 39 to have a kid, I pick up and leave home for 3 and 4 weeks regularly (great wife, great kid) - - I do whatever I want because you don't get another life, this is it. Yes, you'll find a job, you'll land on your feet, things will work out - they always do - I'm serious. Unless you have a very young child (then you need to wait a bit) you should quit your job and thru-hike if that is what you want to do because you absolutely have to seize life and take it and live it to its absolute fullest or you will be a sad old person before you blink - CARPE DIEM - dead serious. If you say "unfortunately, I can't so that because ......" you are selling yourself out short. If you think this is blunt, I'm sorry but I think it's true.

stranger
01-23-2013, 08:14
I'm going to be serious here: Everything that I have ever worried about in life has worked out ok. I took 5 months to backpack, I took a year to ski, I waited until I was 33 to get married and until I was 39 to have a kid, I pick up and leave home for 3 and 4 weeks regularly (great wife, great kid) - - I do whatever I want because you don't get another life, this is it. Yes, you'll find a job, you'll land on your feet, things will work out - they always do - I'm serious. Unless you have a very young child (then you need to wait a bit) you should quit your job and thru-hike if that is what you want to do because you absolutely have to seize life and take it and live it to its absolute fullest or you will be a sad old person before you blink - CARPE DIEM - dead serious. If you say "unfortunately, I can't so that because ......" you are selling yourself out short. If you think this is blunt, I'm sorry but I think it's true.

Worked for me...people always used to say 'cant hike forever' and 'can't be in a band forever' then it was 'cant keep leaving jobs'.

I'm 37...have done or attempted everything I've ever wanted to do in life (failed at plenty), now making new plans, never been unemployed longer then a few weeks while actively seeking work, have ZERO debt, average 8-9 months work per year since 2008, I still do multi-month hikes, I still tour in my band, I've immigrated to 2 countries, and I keep leaving jobs and getting new ones. I've even managed to save enough to put 20% down on a house.

- OR -

I could sit around and explain why I can't do things, and trust me...that would be so easy to do. I would certainly have a lot more money, probably own a house outright by now or be very close, and might of not had so much heartache and hard decisions to make. I could also be much higher up in my field and in a leadership position.

It's all about priorities, decisions...and accepting the consequences to those decisions. There are drawbacks to all decisions, but not making one has by far the most consequence, because you watch life go by and get closer to death.

Live now