PDA

View Full Version : Contact lens use on extended hikes

VT_Lotus
01-19-2013, 09:31
Anyone have experience, good or bad, using your contact lens on the trail? I'm worried about hand hygiene, the need for a mirror to put them in, weight of the solution... But, I so hate wearing my glasses. What has anyone else done?

degritz
01-19-2013, 09:58
Wearing contact lenses in the great outdoors for any extended period of time is a risky business; all it takes is the one wrong piece of dust in there to make you INOP. They LIKELY won't give you problems on a short trip, but the risk factor increases with every additional mile. Your best bet would be to wear prescription sunglasses during the day, and to pop in your contacts after you've made camp.

I saw a fellow soldier on a three day follow on mission go from normal to something like this before the end of day one humping the woods at Ft. Bragg:

Hikes in Rain
01-19-2013, 10:15
By way of contrasting opinion, I've been wearing contacts for more than 40 years without an issue. Even (and especially) hiking. As you suggested, it's simply a matter of washing your hands, something that you should be doing anyway. I made a small wash basin out of the bottom half of a gallon milk jug; any water you can drink is fine for washing, too, especially with a bit of soap to get the oils off your hands. If you like, use some water treatment in it. I've been using a small strip of mirror about 1" x 3", that was part of my first contact kit back when I was 16 (I'm a stone's throw from 59 now, mind-bogglingly).

Carry a spare pair as back up, your glasses as secondary back up. If you're as blind as I am, multiple redundancy is critical. I can't see the blazes; heck, I can't even see the tree the blaze is on!

One long term user's opinion. But then, I'm more comfortable without my pants than without my contacts.

Glogg
01-19-2013, 11:50
Good experience here, during 4 months on the AT last year. I switched (on my opthamologist's advice) to silicone hydrogel lenses, and he cleared me to wear them 5 nights in a row before cleaning. So the number of times I had to touch the lenses on trail was minimized as well as my need for solution- I'd just do it when I resupplied. I carried a spare pair of contacts as backup. And non-prescription sunglasses for the early spring.

As far as a mirror goes, I didn't consistently carry one. I just practiced at home until I could put them in without a mirror, on the feel of my hand against my face and the view out of my eyes, instead of the view in the mirror. That was likely a mistake, as I inadvertently ended up wearing 2 lenses in one eye for a week or so. But no major harm done, besides my pride.

Sue_Bird
01-19-2013, 12:20
Anyone have experience, good or bad, using your contact lens on the trail? I'm worried about hand hygiene, the need for a mirror to put them in, weight of the solution... But, I so hate wearing my glasses. What has anyone else done?

I hiked all of my trails with regular disposable 2-week contact lenses. Never had an issue. Just clean your hands with water or a sani-wipe before you touch your eyes, obviously. I did meet one person who had gotten conjunctivitis from changing contacts on trail, so she had switched to the ones you leave in for long periods of time. But personally it worked just fine for me....4 oz of contact solution is not that big of a deal weightwise IMHO....just carry 4 oz less of water :D

oh. also, if it's crazy cold, don't forget to put your contact case in your sleeping bag at night. Mine froze over 20 miles from the Canadian border on my PCT thru this october. Not fun!!

THE DARKNESS!

AT 09
LT 11
PCT 12

VT_Lotus
01-19-2013, 13:18
I appreciate the advice from everyone so far. I'm going to ask my doc about extended wear lenses first and then look for a mini mirror....

cliffordbarnabus
01-19-2013, 23:18
I think I'm lucky. I just take mine out every three weeks or so. or sometimes longer than that. no problems.......yet!

evyck da fleet
01-20-2013, 11:46
I wore two week disposable lens on my 2012 thru and took then out each night. When I didn't I popped a few out during the night. I used Purell on my hands to remove dirt and then made sure to dip my finger in the contact solution before removing the contact. Otherwise, my eye would feel like it wsa on fire. I brought a small mirror but didn't need it since I had practiced putting the contacts in without a mirror before hitting the Trail.

JSteen
03-01-2013, 02:18
I'm a 16 year veteran of contacts, and I'm completely useless without them or my glasses. On the trail I've mixed glasses and contact use based on how I was feeling. When using my contacts, I ALWAYS make sure to clean my hands, dry them with a clean kerchief, and wet my fingertip w/ solution. So far, no troubles. As long as you are VERY careful to wash your hands before making contact w/ your eyes you are in the clear. Always bring backup lenses, and always bring your glasses. I generally wear my contacts on the trail, and glasses at camp.

By the way, I'm surprised most people aren't able to put their contacts in w/out a mirror. I've been mirror-less since year two. Just pull those lids apart and shove it in! haha

PD230SOI
03-01-2013, 02:51
Long term contact lens wearer here.
Lot of options.

I have been offered about 4 different "soft lens" types for comfort and utility. Your eye doctor could help you make a smart decision.

I plan on getting Lasik upon return to the US. However I have used contacts on trails for several decades without a problem.

Different Socks
03-01-2013, 03:12
I did the PCT in CA and the CDT from Mexico to mid way in Colorado plus numerous other shorter hikes. Wore contacts for all of them and never had a problem. Use a signal mirror to put them in. Solution is not a problem, just carry one of the smaller bottles that has 2oz in it.
Had more of problem with protecting my glasses, so now I carry them in a hard case.

gumball
03-01-2013, 06:23
I have worn contacts on longer section hikes. I like the daily disposables the best, a fresh set every morning, no washing or rigamarole. I don't like hiking with glasses. For me, the lack of peripheral vision and the chance they could fall and break if I fall, etc, is too scary to me.

Hikes in Rain
03-01-2013, 07:36
I did the PCT in CA and the CDT from Mexico to mid way in Colorado plus numerous other shorter hikes. Wore contacts for all of them and never had a problem. Use a signal mirror to put them in. Solution is not a problem, just carry one of the smaller bottles that has 2oz in it.
Had more of problem with protecting my glasses, so now I carry them in a hard case.

This may be of interest. Dollar Stores offer a plastic hard case that only weigh a quarter of an ounce. It's crushproof, and mine came in a bright turquoise that I can even see without my contacts or glasses. And only cost a dollar. I found mine in the racks by the checkout (after I'd given up looking!).

Trance
03-01-2013, 09:47
My eye doctor told me that wearing contacts on the AT would be a bad situation.... so I decided to get Lasik surgery. Just got it done two days ago and already seeing 20/15.

Hikes in Rain
03-01-2013, 10:28
Congratulations! While I disagree with your doctor's advice on contacts in the woods (based on my 40+ years of experience), Lasik is good! Just wish I were a candidate.

handlebar
03-01-2013, 11:56
I've been wearing Air Optix Night & Day contacts that you can leave in for up to 30 days. They make a bifocal version for us old gents. I put regular contact lens rewetting drops in morning and night and take them out for cleaning in town. Knock on wood: no problems yet. (I tried the Bausch and Lomb extended wear lenses and they gave me an infection).

Different Socks
03-01-2013, 12:45
Congratulations! While I disagree with your doctor's advice on contacts in the woods (based on my 40+ years of experience), Lasik is good! Just wish I were a candidate.

I am not a candidate b/c I fit into that small percentile that has not effort eye material to cut away.

Trance
03-01-2013, 13:45
Well, my eyes are bloodshot all to hell... but I see perfectly. Just need to use drops for a few weeks.

I have worn contacts for years during hikes and climbs.... gets rough when the wind kicks up or when you have to take them out and your hands just are not very clean. Sucks to sleep more than a night in them as well.

tagg
03-01-2013, 14:46
I've been wearing Air Optix Night & Day contacts that you can leave in for up to 30 days. They make a bifocal version for us old gents. I put regular contact lens rewetting drops in morning and night and take them out for cleaning in town. Knock on wood: no problems yet. (I tried the Bausch and Lomb extended wear lenses and they gave me an infection).

i wear these, too. you can just carry a small bottle of rewetting drops, an extra pair of lenses, and you're good to go for a couple of months. before i switched, i took them out every night. these are FAR more convenient and comfortable. lighter too, since i don't need as much solution or my contact case.