PDA

View Full Version : First post and a list of my gear I need opinions and advice!

Jeepindude
01-19-2013, 12:42
Hey whats going on people! I am new to the forum and backpacking, it's something I have always wanted to get into. I do alot of mountain biking, and kayakaing mostly and snowboarding once a year so I have a love for the outdoors. I have been doing a ton of research and spent some time trying to get all of my backpacking gear together, I realize that I may have made a few beginner mistakes and jumped the gun on some ebay items :rolleyes:. But anyway I am in the process of planning my first backpacking trip at the end of February with two buddies, both ave been backpacking before so I have a little help. We are doing about 20 miles on the Appalachian Trail and here is a list of my gear that I plan on taking any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody.

Pack: Osprey Aether 70 (probably more pack than I need)
Shelter: Big Agnes seedhouse SL2
Sleeping pad: Thermarest NeoAir Xlite L
Sleeping bag: Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL 20* 800 fill down, waterproof shell
Cooking Tools: Snow Peak Gigapower Auto, MSR titan titanium Kettle, REI titanium double wall mug, sea to summitt titanium spork
Clothing: under armour cold gear leggings, Patagonia cap1 LS shirt, Synthetic t shirt, synthetic pants, sock liners, wigwam socks, Mountain Hardwear Phantom jacket, fleece beanie, bandana, and Native throttle sunglasses.
Tools: Knife, first aid (basic), petzl tikka 2 plus headlamp, cell phone
Water: 3L camelbak bladder, and nalgene I need to get a H2O filter
other than that i'll take some 550 cord for bear bag stuff sacks zip lock bags baby wipes and anything else I can think that would help out on the trail

HikerMom58
01-19-2013, 12:51
Hey jeepindude... welcome! What 20 mile section are you doing? I'm assuming it will be the closest point on the AT from where you live.....

Jeepindude
01-19-2013, 14:49
Hey jeepindude... welcome! What 20 mile section are you doing? I'm assuming it will be the closest point on the AT from where you live.....

Thank YOU! I'm leaving that part up to them we were thinking about starting at Springer Mountain, or Starting at Fontana Dam (hope I spelled that correctly) i've heard i'm in for a rude awakening lol

HikerMom58
01-19-2013, 17:41
LOL.. I see! :) Well, it should be a fun time no matter where ya'll start. I think ur gear list looks fine. I will let other "experts" throw in their 2 cents. Hoping the weather will be good for ya. :) Nice to have you here!

leaftye
01-19-2013, 18:04
It looks like a decent list.

I'd change up the water gear. Updated 2013 Sawyer Squeeze filter system. When the system and how it's used is optimized, it can be very light, fast and reliable. The sales pitch is long, but I'll give it if you'll consider an alternative to the Camelback and Nalgene.

I don't like the Pikka, but it is enough to get the job done. I just think there are better options out there.

I'd also avoid polyester shirts. I find they stink to high heaven, even for a long distance hiker. Nylon shirts stink much less. Supposedly wool stinks even less, but I haven't used my wool shirts on backpacking trips to confirm for myself.

You might be pushing it a little bit on the pad. If you want a little more warmth, check out the thin wide pads from www.lawsonequipment.com. A torso length pad might be enough, and it'd make for a nice sit pad during the day. An inflator might be a good idea to keep condensation out of your pad, and they're faster and convenient. The Instaflator is a popular choice. I'm not sure where the best place to get it is right now.

I don't see rain gear on that list.

Jeepindude
01-19-2013, 18:48
LOL.. I see! :) Well, it should be a fun time no matter where ya'll start. I think ur gear list looks fine. I will let other "experts" throw in their 2 cents. Hoping the weather will be good for ya. :) Nice to have you here!

Exactly I know no matter where we start we will all enjoy it I'm really looking foreward to getting to know the AT. It's time to get out there thank you for the kind words!

Jeepindude
01-19-2013, 18:56
It looks like a decent list.

I'd change up the water gear. Updated 2013 Sawyer Squeeze filter system. When the system and how it's used is optimized, it can be very light, fast and reliable. The sales pitch is long, but I'll give it if you'll consider an alternative to the Camelback and Nalgene.

I don't like the Pikka, but it is enough to get the job done. I just think there are better options out there.

I'd also avoid polyester shirts. I find they stink to high heaven, even for a long distance hiker. Nylon shirts stink much less. Supposedly wool stinks even less, but I haven't used my wool shirts on backpacking trips to confirm for myself.

You might be pushing it a little bit on the pad. If you want a little more warmth, check out the thin wide pads from www.lawsonequipment.com (http://www.lawsonequipment.com). A torso length pad might be enough, and it'd make for a nice sit pad during the day. An inflator might be a good idea to keep condensation out of your pad, and they're faster and convenient. The Instaflator is a popular choice. I'm not sure where the best place to get it is right now.

I don't see rain gear on that list.

Hi and thank you for the help! I agree with you on the water system, ill look up some info on that filter that's something I need and haven't done much research on them unfortunately. Also it would be really hard for me to pass up the opportunity to sleep on the xlite lol I did not think it would be as comfortable as it is! Now granted its only been tested on my carpeted floor in the living room. But you have given me some options to consider and thank you I did forget rain gear on the list I have yet to pick up a set!

The Dave
01-19-2013, 19:24
Most of your gear is pretty light--not necessarily the lightest options out there, but generally on the lighter end of the backpacking spectrum. And you also seem to have avoided the impulse to pack too much, which is definite plus. Given that, I would go with a smaller and lighter pack. The GoLight Jam 50L is a good choice, and it would knock nearly three pounds off your baseweight. Plus, ordered online, it's on one of GoLite's perpetual sales.

Since you're backpacking in a trio, I wonder how much of your gear will be shared. Will each of you bring a stove, or will only one of you be responsible for cooking equipment? Will you share the tent? If you're sharing gear and won't be carrying everything on your list, you might even be able to get away with a smaller and lighter pack. Perhaps something from ZPacks. I have one of their cuben fiber packs, and I swear by it. Cheap they are not, but they are an ultralighter's dream.

Blissful
01-19-2013, 23:19
Not sure where you are going in Feb but yo could be cold in that bag if the temps suddenly take a dive. Be sure to check the weather. I see no rain gear either. Won't need the t-shirt.