PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days 2013

lobotomized
01-19-2013, 14:13
I'm thru-hiking this year and would love to go to Trail Days in Damascus. The thing is, I (hopefully) will be way past Damascus by the time Trail Days roll around in May. Are there any other thru's planning on trying to make it to Trail Days, and if so, how are ya'll planning on getting there?

HikerMom58
01-19-2013, 14:27
Hey- if you are at a place on the trail near Daleville VA I can pick you up and take you down and back with me ... but here's the catch. I just found out that I will be hiking in PA May 17-25... if that is the same weekend as Trail Days, I can't help you out. :( I will be bummed if I miss Trail days this year.....

Don H
01-19-2013, 14:33
Will there be a Trail Days this year?

lobotomized
01-19-2013, 15:02
Hey- if you are at a place on the trail near Daleville VA I can pick you up and take you down and back with me ... but here's the catch. I just found out that I will be hiking in PA May 17-25... if that is the same weekend as Trail Days, I can't help you out. :( I will be bummed if I miss Trail days this year.....

Thank you so much for the offer! Unfortunately I think Trail Days falls on the weekend of the 17th this year =/

Why wouldn't there be?

DeerPath
01-19-2013, 15:07

I'm told Trail Days is always the weekend after Mothers Day. Mothers Day this year is May 12, 2013 so Trail Days should be May 17-20, 2013.

HikerMom58
01-19-2013, 17:51
I'm told Trail Days is always the weekend after Mothers Day. Mothers Day this year is May 12, 2013 so Trail Days should be May 17-20, 2013.

Oh snap... right you are DeerPath... the new Awol says Trail Days is May 17-19. :eek:

Well, lobotomized if you stay in touch, when it gets close to Trail Days, I'm sure I can put you in touch with someone, from this area, that could get you a ride back and forth to Damascus. No worries.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 16:19
Last year around Trail Days it was pretty easy for most people to get a ride to Trail Days. Save up some money for Travel and expenses. I missed it last year having come off the Trail due to my girls getting in a car wreck, and got back on the Trail the week after and it was all people could talk about.

Giantsbane
01-20-2013, 16:47
I'm thru-hiking this year and would love to go to Trail Days in Damascus. The thing is, I (hopefully) will be way past Damascus by the time Trail Days roll around in May. Are there any other thru's planning on trying to make it to Trail Days, and if so, how are ya'll planning on getting there?

I fully plan on doing the same thing. My plan is to hitchhike or find a bus or train to take. I really want to make it there.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 16:49
Damascus doesnt have a Greyhound stop or a Train station. Yellow Blazing is the only way.

Giantsbane
01-20-2013, 17:07
Yellowblazing it is then.

ChinMusic
01-20-2013, 17:18
Damascus doesnt have a Greyhound stop or a Train station. Yellow Blazing is the only way.

Does Abingdon have Greyhound? Should be an easy hitch from there.

Camel2012
01-20-2013, 17:32
I had a great time at trail days in 2012. My suggestion would be to talk to people at hostels and outfitters when it's getting close. Good chance you will find someone heading there that you can catch a ride with.

In 2012, i just caught a ride with someone who was working at Elmer's place. Me and a few other guys just chipped in on gas. I'm sure there will be similar people up north you can find a ride with, and if that falls through, i would post on here and see if anyone may be willing to pick you up on their way.

If you're still in Virginia, i doubt you will have much trouble getting a ride.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 17:57
Camel...........how much money did you end up spending at Trail Days....Beer? Food ? Goods? Camping is still free right?

topshelf
01-20-2013, 18:14
Does Abingdon have Greyhound? Should be an easy hitch from there.

only Bristol and Marion i believe

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 18:36
Marion, VA is as close as you can get and it is a straight shot down the freeway to Damascus. Should be easy enough to Yellow Blaze down the road. BTW, the shelter by Marion is fantastic. A shower and two stories of wood to keep you warm and dry. Last time I was there we ordered pizza delivered to the site....not to bad. Even had a flushing toilet. I t think it better than the Hilton.

Camel2012
01-20-2013, 20:42
Camel...........how much money did you end up spending at Trail Days....Beer? Food ? Goods? Camping is still free right?

I'm probably not a good example on money spent.

My best guess would be around $200 on food and beer at TD. (was lots of free food there too, and will be a schedule showing all feeds during the week.) Think it was $5 for the bracelet to get into the camp area, and even if you don't camp there, you have to buy one if you want to see the vendors about gear problems or questions.

I hiked into hot springs on a wed. Went to trail days on Friday, and back to hot springs on Sunday, and on the trail again on Monday. So 4 zeros and a nero total and spent around $500. Zeros get expensive fast.

Atlas, did we meet on the trail? Seems we were in the same areas, but can't place who you are.

topshelf
01-20-2013, 20:54
you could always enjoy some more hiking, greyhound to marion, then take the AT and Iron Mountain Trail to Damascus, its about 40 easy miles so 2 days. the iron mountain trail is the old AT...

Its about 15-16 miles to the spur trail at Comers Creek Falls, then 24 miles on the IMT. Its also yellow blazed...

lobotomized
01-21-2013, 16:30
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll probably end up trying to hitch a ride down there with fellow hikers, and if all else fails, I'll greyhound to Marion and yellow-blaze the rest of the way. Anyone aside from Giantsbane trying to make it to Trail Days?

Don H
01-21-2013, 20:11
Why wouldn't there be?

Well there was some talk here a few weeks ago about it and so I did a little research (google is your friend) and the only thing that I could find that looked official is last years website at http://www.traildays.us It looks like it hasn't been updated since 2012. This is the same site linked on the apparently official Damascus, VA website found here http://www.damascus.org/visitors.html . Since most rooms are booked way in advance I have to wonder why there is no advanced advertising for Traildays. Maybe we could get some comformation since I was thinking of going this year.

lobotomized
01-21-2013, 23:40
Well there was some talk here a few weeks ago about it and so I did a little research (google is your friend) and the only thing that I could find that looked official is last years website at http://www.traildays.us It looks like it hasn't been updated since 2012. This is the same site linked on the apparently official Damascus, VA website found here http://www.damascus.org/visitors.html . Since most rooms are booked way in advance I have to wonder why there is no advanced advertising for Traildays. Maybe we could get some comformation since I was thinking of going this year.

I was worried at first too, but it seems like this is the norm for Trail Days. I don't think it's planned so much as everyone just shows up! Either way I hope to see you Don, and everyone else in this thread there in may!

Josh Calhoun
01-24-2013, 15:03
I am also wanting to find a way to Trail days. i am starting the trail Mid Feb so i should be way past. i am more that willing to split a rental car or throw in gas money if any of yall are interested. I would hate to miss it

wornoutboots
01-24-2013, 15:39
I'll be hiking a section sobo in VA @ 200 miles into Woods Hole & heading into trail Days on the Wednesday before if someone needs a ride & wants to throw in for some gas, hit me up. You'll need to find a ride back which won't be a problem since you can sign up at Trail Days for re-shuttling back to the trail.

GritzMEGA
01-25-2013, 17:22
If anyone is in the Pearisburg area around that time, I believe, don't quote me on it, that woods hole hostel usually does shuttles there. Also, I will be going so loot Gritz up in Pearisburg. I will do my best to help.