PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP loop hike recommendation

BlackCloud
06-04-2005, 11:25
Looks as if I'll be in Asheville on business @ the end of June & will be able to squeeze in a day hike. YEA!:jump

Having hiked the AT thru the park but not being overly familiar w/ the area, would someone give me a good recommendation for a day hike w/ the following parameters:

1. 9 - 14 miles w/ less then 4000' elevation climb
2. a loop
3. not include a long stretch of the AT
4. located in or near the eastern side of Great Smokey Mtns NP (driving from Asheville)
5. great views

Thanx so much!

Groucho
06-04-2005, 13:02
Looks as if I'll be in Asheville on business @ the end of June & will be able to squeeze in a day hike. YEA!:jump

Having hiked the AT thru the park but not being overly familiar w/ the area, would someone give me a good recommendation for a day hike w/ the following parameters:

2. a loop
4. located in or near the eastern side of Great Smokey Mtns NP (driving from Asheville)
5. great views

Thanx so much!

13.8 mi. and around 4000' total climb (probably) beginning at Newfound Gap, following the AT for 4.1 mi. to Dry Sluice Gap, then a rt on what used to be (according to guidebook) the Richland Mt. trail. Via this trail and Grassy Branch trail it is 3.7 mi. to Kephart shelter. Another 3.7 mi. via Sweat Heifer trail brings you back to the AT at 1.7 mi. N of Newfound.

Another popsicle: Jeep rd on Newfound Gap rd, 441, 2.1 mi. to Kephart s. then via Heifer 3.7 mi. to AT. Rt. on AT for 2.4 mi. to Dry Sluice gap. Rt. 3.7 mi. to Kephart s. and then 2.1 back to car. Should be between 3500-4000' total climb. 14 mi.

Good hikes in Shining Rock/Pisgah on BRP S of Asheville. Cool off after hike at Sliding Rock.

Hike to Graybeard via Lookout Mt. in Montreat near Black Mountain which is E of Asheville on I-40. Info used to be available in Montreat.

DLFrost
06-04-2005, 22:05

2. a loop
5. great views

Thanx so much!
The fifteen-mile loop from Big Creek trailhead to Mt. Sterling might suit you. Access is easy from I40.
Big Creek Trail
Swollow Fork Trail
Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail to tower
Baxter Creek Trail

I'd suggest getting a copy of Hiking Trails of the Smokies (2nd edition) on your way to the park. The Earthwalk Press map is nice, if a tad large. If you go to the Nat. Park Servce Smokies webpage they have a map page where you can download the standard trail/campsite map they have at all register stations.
http://www.nps.gov/grsm

Doug Frost

chris
06-05-2005, 14:09
From the Cosby trailhead (close to Asheville), hike up the Snake Den Ridge trail to the AT, follow the AT NOBO to the Low Gap trail, and then come down the Low Gap. This will be pushing the requirements you have, but is pretty, close, and fun. If you have the time and strength, keep going on the AT to the Mount Cammerer fire lookout (like 1.5-2 miles). Return, go down Low Gap. Or, continue north and come down the lower mount cammerer trail.

BlackCloud
06-07-2005, 10:14
Ok, thanx people. Each of you have apparently assigned me challanging hikes. Time to find some maps.....