PDA

View Full Version : Looking for light weight, small compactable sleeping bag

jj2044
01-19-2013, 18:57
hey guys im looking for a new sleeping bag, light weight, packs small, im leaning toward the western mountaineering highlite bag... was wonding if you guys could recommend any others i should take a look at.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2013, 19:49
Tough call its a great bag, right weight, but there are close outs everywhere You can pick up Bags at 115 if you shop carefully,,, these close outs are there for those that wait.

hikerboy57
01-19-2013, 20:12
i took the highlite to maine last august. i love it.im sure there are less epxensive alternatives though.but now im spoiled. it packs small and super light, lofts up nicely. and made in the usa

johnnybgood
01-19-2013, 20:17
Tough call its a great bag, right weight, but there are close outs everywhere You can pick up Bags at 115 if you shop carefully,,, these close outs are there for those that wait.

Where do you find Western Mountaineering bags for $115 ? Closeouts of WM bags are few and far between.

Franco
01-20-2013, 03:31
I had an Highlite then switched tothe Summerlite.
to me the full zip and extra warmth was worth the extra weight.

daddytwosticks
01-20-2013, 11:14
The WM Caribou meets your description also. Very good if you like a little more room in your mummy bag plus it has a full-length zipper. I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned quilts yet....:)

burrito
01-20-2013, 11:25
quilt!!!!!

skinewmexico
01-20-2013, 13:11
Just make sure you get a WM that fits your shoulders, since they have several widths. Although I haven't used my Megalite since I got a quilt.

garlic08
01-20-2013, 19:31
quilt!!!!!

This. Take a look at Enlightened Equipment among others. I took the quilt plunge last summer and I ain't going back.

Sarcasm the elf
01-20-2013, 19:44
Where do you find Western Mountaineering bags for $115 ? Closeouts of WM bags are few and far between.

I believe he meant that you can get good quality bags from other manufacturers for cheap on a close out.

I'd love to have a western mountaineering bag, but last year when I need a new bag I couldn't afford one. I ended up finding a great deal on the REI Subkilo that was about $130 on clearance and practically free after I applied my dividend. The Subkilo is a decent down bag for three season use, though I don't believe their 20 degree temperature claim for a second (it's more like a 30-40 degree bag.). If I were planning a thru hike where I was going to live in my bag for six months straight, I'd probably upgrade to a Western Mountaineering of Feathered Friends bag, but the My REI Subkilo is just fine for a week or two on the trail.