PDA

View Full Version : Help out a newbie with food and recipes? (plus - fishing?)

Holly
01-19-2013, 23:39
Hey, I'm starting from PA in June and I have no idea how to feed myself on the trail. I know I'm supposed to send food ahead to myself or have someone else do it, and I know to bring dehydrated food and non-perishables and olive oil. But besides the olive oil I really don't know what that would be beyond like beef jerky, granola, and dried fruits. And those things are rad and all, but I'd love to hear all the other things people eat on the trail.

In the same vein, kinda - what are my chances of getting a meal in through fishing every once in a while? Is it even worth bringing my pole?

Odd Man Out
01-20-2013, 00:32
Hey, I'm starting from PA in June and I have no idea how to feed myself on the trail. I know I'm supposed to send food ahead to myself or have someone else do it, and I know to bring dehydrated food and non-perishables and olive oil. But besides the olive oil I really don't know what that would be beyond like beef jerky, granola, and dried fruits. And those things are rad and all, but I'd love to hear all the other things people eat on the trail.

In the same vein, kinda - what are my chances of getting a meal in through fishing every once in a while? Is it even worth bringing my pole?

Worth taking the fishing pole? I'd say no. You are hiking on the top of mountain ridges where there is a noticeable lack of lakes and streams.

Some people cook with elaborate recipes. Many just dump stuff in a freezer bag, add hot water, wait, eat. After enough hiking you standards get pretty low WRT food quality/interest. Lots of chocolate, PB, cheese (no it's not perishable), instant meals (pasta/rice/etc), tortillas, ramen.

Finally, you are not "supposed" to send food ahead. Yes you can use mail drops, but many people just buy food as they go. It is very common for people to find that when they open a box they packed for themselves a few months before they they say "what was I thinking". You often find you are sick of the food you have been sending yourself, but now feel stuck with it. Mail drops can be effective for people who are very good at predicting what they want, how much they want, where they want it, and when they want it. You don't seem to fit any of those categories. I suggest you buy enough food to get you to the next town (usually a few days away). What it is doesn't matter as long as you don't starve to death. What doesn't kill you make you stronger. When you get to the next town, buy what looks good, repeat until you get to ME or GA or wherever. But if you want some specific ideas, try here http://www.trailcooking.com/recipe/byname

Remember, whoever has the most fun wins!

Tuckahoe
01-20-2013, 00:40
There are plenty of options for light weight fishing tackle. However, the issue with fishing is that you will need to be familiar with the fishing laws of each state that you hike in. You will also have to be licensed in each of those states and non-resident licenses are not cheap. You'll probably find its not worth it.
Check out the food and cooking forum folder. You'll find many discussions about food and lots of advice. Also check out packitgourmet.com as a potential source for commercial food. However you will probably find that you can easily resupply out of a grocery store along the trail without the need for mail drops.

Raymond James
01-20-2013, 02:04
Fishing is always worth it even if you do not catch a fish a day on the water is better than a day anywhere else. I enjoy fishing and find it very hard to pass by a good spot.

That said I would not count on having to catch a fish in order to eat. You get something you eat realy well and perhaps you have an extra trail meal with you when you get to the next store. I would also make sure I had a license though I have only ever been asked one time by a game warden to see it. They are usually very easy to get in rural grocery/convience/bait stores however can get pricey for out of state residents.

If you realy like to fish do some research on cost of fishing license and the best lakes/ rivers for fishing along the trail. Figuer out which states/sections you want to fish in. Plan on having your gear sent to you or purchasing something to use while there then ship it home after you have left that section/state. Another option is to look for a thrift store in town for a pole. I do not think unles you are realy an advide fisher that you would want to carry your gear the whole way.

Most hikers do not fish while hiking and would think it a waste of time. Yet others only hike in order to reach remote fishing areas.

I think this falls into hike your hike. I know hikers who use hiking as a way to get to where they want take pictures, they are happy to spend half a day on one mountain top taking pictures and they carry lots of exspensive /heavy gear. I know other hikers who never take a camera with them.

But again I would not count on having to catch fish in order to eat.