PDA

View Full Version : You never know how you affect someone...

stefanib123
01-20-2013, 09:18
In 2010, I was at Clingmans Dome in Tn. with my family on a vacation in the Smokies. While walking up, we happen to fall in step with a thru hiker as she came off the A.T. She had to correct me as I told the kids that the AT was a trail through the Appalachian that went from about N.c to about Mass, (I know, right,lol,all I knew was that it was LONG), although she was very gracious about it. I took a second look at this pretty, young, fragile-looking girl and I guess you could say I took a second look at myself. My short conversation with this seemingly average, pretty young girl got me to thinking about whats POSSIBLE. If this girl could do something that big, that courageous, that AWESOME, maybe I could, too. My experience with the girl has made my love for the outdoors emerge from the place in my heart where it had been hibernating. Ive had a blast since then hiking, fishing, being the ME I was at 20. (Im 37).

Since then, I have become almost obsessed with the AT. I saw something in this girl that I want. Thru hikers are a special breed, and while I cant presume that I will be one of you rare specimens, I've decided to try! I dont think I could do otherwise at this point!

It will be a while, of course. I am doing some 2-10 day hikes on it this year, though, starting in April.

So, besides the people you guys meet along the way that tells you how inspiring you are, there are people like me. Sometimes you change a life without ever knowing.

I wonder where that girl is now? I wonder if she finished? I wonder if there is any way she could ever know the effect she had on me? I would love to find that girl with the blue backpack, that was at Clingmans dome around June 28, - July 1, 2010 and tell her. If I NEVER walk the whole AT, she and the trail have made my life better anyway.

hikerboy57
01-20-2013, 09:28
welcome to whiteblaze. for me what makes the at so unique is the community that envelopes the trail.whether section hiker, weekender or thru, the people ive met on the at over the past 30 years have been some of the most giving caring people ive come across in my life.that sense of community has carried over into whiteblaze, a great source of information and sharing.
although ive section hiked most of the northern half, i doubt ill ever complete a thru hike myself(i just love hiking maine and nh too much).
but it doesnt matter. its all good and whatever trip you're planning, there are some really great people here to help you achieve your goals.
warning:backpacking the at can be beneficial to your sanity

wren again
01-20-2013, 09:39
A very similar tale: In 2002, on a day hike between Clingman's Dome and Newfound Gap, my son James and I met "Sion" and talked with him. James was 9 and was inspired. We later read that "Sion" did complete his thru-hike.
In 2011 James (then 18) and I did a section hike from Hot Springs to Kincora to celebrate his high school graduation.

burrito
01-20-2013, 11:22
stefanib123,
the fact that you even aspire to do such a thing sets you apart from the vast majority of folks,
whether or not that young woman completed the whole thing or not really doesnt matter to most of us , but having the courage to pursue her dream and believe that she can do it gives her strength that the rest of us find an inspiration
i hope you get to pursue your dream

HikerMom58
01-20-2013, 11:33
Ahh... sweet story...I trust by finding WB this wonderful story will continue to grow ...:) By sharing and putting yourself out there, you are well on ur way. Welcome stefanib123.

stefanib123
01-20-2013, 14:39
Thanks for the welcome,hikerboy! I need all the benefits to my sanity I can get!

Wren, that is so cool! I bet you guys had a great time. Clingmans Dome seems like its a spot for this. My oldest son, hes 20 is talking of RUNNING the AT! He's a MMA fighter, big health nut, and runs several miles a day. I cant hike with him,lol!

Aww, burrito, you are so kind. You're right, it doesnt matter. She had already hiked a long way at that point, too. She was no doubt a special young woman.

HikerMomKD, thanks for the warm welcome. Im so glad I found this form.

rocketsocks
01-20-2013, 15:22
Talking and hiking with like mined people is contagious,:welcome to White Blaze.

chief
01-20-2013, 19:56
Would you have been similarly affected were she not so "pretty"?

stefanib123
01-20-2013, 21:27
Would you have been similarly affected were she not so "pretty"?

I think it was more her seeming "fragile" (for lack of a better word) to me. I had never met, or even thought about, a young girl doing something like this. Or a young man for that matter!

Maybe I had a stereotype in my mind? That pretty young girls just sit and look pretty? I hate to admit it, but its possible, a little bit, anyway. Or the age thing, no way would I have been strong enough to attempt something like the AT at that age. But, I was a wild child! And more than a little nuts.

And just so we're clear, I am a 38 year old mother/grandmother (I was a young mom), not some pervert lusting after young girls on the trail! (not knocking anyone who does, hell, to lust is human, LOL, as long as it doesnt lead to something crazy!)

Papa D
01-20-2013, 21:44
A kid one year ahead of me in high-school (John Riddle) got me thinking about the AT. He attempted a Southbound thru-hike and the last I heard from him he was in Gorham, NH in 1984 - - he sent me a letter and that's the last I ever heard of him (I still have the letter) - - my guess is that he got off the trail and didn't make it but he inspired me nonetheless and I hiked the trail the next year and it changed my life to the extent that I spent about 12 years as an outdoor educator taking kids (mostly) backpacking and rock climbing and teaching them what is possible in their lives. One "kid" in particular followed in MY footsteps (and John's by extension) when he thru-hiked in 2008 as an 18 year old and I was happy to mentor him in this - - he is now an outdoor education leader at Alaska Pacific University and may eventually become a mentor to others. So, one little spark in 1984 really effected hundreds (probably) of kids. You just never know ....

chief
01-21-2013, 01:10
I think it was more her seeming "fragile" (for lack of a better word) to me. I had never met, or even thought about, a young girl doing something like this. Or a young man for that matter!

Maybe I had a stereotype in my mind? That pretty young girls just sit and look pretty? I hate to admit it, but its possible, a little bit, anyway. Or the age thing, no way would I have been strong enough to attempt something like the AT at that age. But, I was a wild child! And more than a little nuts.

And just so we're clear, I am a 38 year old mother/grandmother (I was a young mom), not some pervert lusting after young girls on the trail! (not knocking anyone who does, hell, to lust is human, LOL, as long as it doesnt lead to something crazy!)
Thank you, great answer to a not so great question.

stefanib123
01-22-2013, 00:27
A kid one year ahead of me in high-school (John Riddle) got me thinking about the AT. He attempted a Southbound thru-hike and the last I heard from him he was in Gorham, NH in 1984 - - he sent me a letter and that's the last I ever heard of him (I still have the letter) - - my guess is that he got off the trail and didn't make it but he inspired me nonetheless and I hiked the trail the next year and it changed my life to the extent that I spent about 12 years as an outdoor educator taking kids (mostly) backpacking and rock climbing and teaching them what is possible in their lives. One "kid" in particular followed in MY footsteps (and John's by extension) when he thru-hiked in 2008 as an 18 year old and I was happy to mentor him in this - - he is now an outdoor education leader at Alaska Pacific University and may eventually become a mentor to others. So, one little spark in 1984 really effected hundreds (probably) of kids. You just never know ....

I love stories like this! It really is amazing how our lives are like rings in a pond, all interconnected, one thing causing another. Wouldn't it be cool if we could know all these things?