PDA

View Full Version : Coffee drinkers

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 09:39
We met a guy at Carter Hut using an aeropress to make coffee. Looks perfect for backpacking
http://www.aeropress.com/

daddytwosticks
01-20-2013, 11:06
...speaking of coffee, I found a new type of product (at least I think it's new) at Wal-Mart. Barnie's Coffee Kitchen, Pronto! personal brew coffee. It's liquid coffee in small single-use "sticks". Similar to Java Juice but tastes much better. I used Java Juice in past years. Tried it again last year and they either changed the formulation or I got a bad batch. It had a very chemical-like flavor. This Barnie's product tastes really good. Better than the Starbucks instant IMO. :)

daddytwosticks
01-20-2013, 11:08
Chaco Taco...didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry. That product looks interesting. :)

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 11:12
Oh no problem. Always open to coffee suggestions. Java Juice is ok. We typically carry our own ground coffee and used a mesh tea ball. Clean up is always a pain. The clean up for the aero press is super easy.

RodentWhisperer
01-20-2013, 11:13
Hmmmm... that aeropress is interesting. Not sure I'd want to take it out into the backcountry, myself (I thrive on Madaglia D'Oro); but I see its appeal. Fresh espresso in camp would be a wonderful luxury! Now if I could figure out how to froth whipping cream in a titanium mug... :cool:

staehpj1
01-20-2013, 11:28
I am a Starbucks hater, but like their Via for backpacking and bike tours. I may have to try the Barney's stuff.

burrito
01-20-2013, 11:30
i tried to quit coffee on a 10day trip in the san juans, huge mistake,
since then i have tried every alternative possible, im really impressed with via by starbucks.
i wonder if barnies is available at retailers other than walmart

swjohnsey
01-20-2013, 11:41
Another solution:

Dump 1/4 ground coffee, 1/4 cup sugar into about 20 oz water when you go to bed at night. Next morning fire up the stove and bring to boil, remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes. Pour off into your coffee cup. Grounds settle out and require no filtering. Lettin' it set overnight makes it taste better to me and the grounds settle better.

jeffmeh
01-20-2013, 12:03
Many ways to to do it. One of these comes in at 3.4 oz., less if you forego the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z48XZ0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006K0OXWA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=184RMYXHVQ2V9FXTCNXJ

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 12:05
Hmm, saturating the grounds does not appeal to me and just seems like it would ruin the beans. I gave up Starbucks because they over roast the beans. We are def coffee snobs and having high quality is a luxury that we enjoy to have, esp on longer trips. Thanks for the info folks.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 12:06
Now that is really nice, thanks for posting

Many ways to to do it. One of these comes in at 3.4 oz., less if you forego the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Z48XZ0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006K0OXWA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=184RMYXHVQ2V9FXTCNXJ

Zippy Morocco
01-20-2013, 12:22
I was pondering this question. I am a huge coffee connoisseur but really didn't want the hassle of brewing everyday on a 5 month hike. So two months ago I switched to half caff. Then one month ago I switched to decaf. Now when I start I will only be quiting coffee and not caffeine. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 12:31
I was pondering this question. I am a huge coffee connoisseur but really didn't want the hassle of brewing everyday on a 5 month hike. So two months ago I switched to half caff. Then one month ago I switched to decaf. Now when I start I will only be quiting coffee and not caffeine. Hopefully one less thing to worry about.
Hmm, still like my coffee in the am, esp on the trail

Zippy Morocco
01-20-2013, 18:27
Hmm, still like my coffee in the am, esp on the trail

Nothing wrong with that. I will join you for a cup in town:-)

Deer Hunter
01-20-2013, 19:40
...speaking of coffee, I found a new type of product (at least I think it's new) at Wal-Mart. Barnie's Coffee Kitchen, Pronto! personal brew coffee. It's liquid coffee in small single-use "sticks". Similar to Java Juice but tastes much better. I used Java Juice in past years. Tried it again last year and they either changed the formulation or I got a bad batch. It had a very chemical-like flavor. This Barnie's product tastes really good. Better than the Starbucks instant IMO. :)

The southern pecan sounds promising.

yellowsirocco
01-20-2013, 20:38
I have an aeropress and use it pretty much everyday. It is an awesome coffee maker. Taking it up to a hut is a great idea, but not for backpacking. The aeropress is very easy, but instant is so much easier and doesn't taste bad if you get the good stuff. You have to have a mug for the aeropress and I drink coffee from my cook-pot so on top of the extra weight from the coffee maker you have to take an extra vessel to drink from. Then there is the extra water that must be collected to clean it which cannot be drank (i don't use soap and drink my dish water). I guess it would be good for a chill trip where there is plenty of water and you are doing short days and living good, but not for my standard long distance kit.

But really, if you like coffee get an Aeropress; they are very cheap and produce an awesome cup.

Son Driven
01-20-2013, 21:12
Planning on packing an old school aluminum Mirro drip coffee maker, works great with the super cat that I made yesterday, boils 12 oz in 4 minutes, and then simply pour the hot water through the grounds. I will be happy to brew you a cup when our paths cross.

Odd Man Out
01-20-2013, 21:15
I have one of these:

http://bialettishop.com/MokaExpressMain.htm

I think I have the three cup size (those are espresso size cups). I rigged it up so you could store a tea-light alcohol stove in the coffee holder (center). I made a hardware cloth pot stand and wind screen that fits in the top receiver (where the coffee ends up). and you can store a baggie of coffee grounds and a very small fuel bottle in the water reservoir (bottom) for a fully contained mokka system. Never actually took it hiking yet, but it would be a novelty.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 23:51
they keep these at the huts up here

Mountain Mike
01-21-2013, 00:09
Coffee is one thing I will not give up on. Tried a little one cup drip model that worked well. Normally just go with cowboy coffee. Bring my water to rolling boil. Take off heat add coffee, cover & let seep. After a few minutes a few taps on side of pot & a few drops of cold water settle the grounds.

Oneofsix
01-21-2013, 00:32
For years we used a "coffee sock" a small piece of mesh fabric that fit inside the cup, you fill it with coffee, it has a rigid ring through the top about the size of a coffee cup (so you can hold onto it and it stays open) . . pour boiled water over, allow to steep then lift out sock (it then got the "coffee scrotum" moniker). was easy to clean, just dump it over, let it dry on outside of pack and brush off extra grounds.

We use via now, though . . .although it is expensive, it tastes good, has no cleanup and hardly any garbage. mmmm coffee . . .

RCBear
01-21-2013, 08:23
I enjoy real quality coffee at home On the trail, I can't imagine carryng anything but Via. No fuss no mess and not bad tasting. I hate Starbucks regular coffee though. They did a good job with this instant however

keepinitsimple
01-24-2013, 14:35
I dont do this on the trail. But Milita makes a cone shaped piece of plastic that sits on your mug or cup. then you put in your v shaped paper filter, then your grinds, pour hot water through it and you are done. It's cheap, you dont have to go to rei to get it, and clean up is simple. I do it daily at home b/c it beats the electric drip by a mile- its a quality cup.

Check it out http://www.espressoparts.com/MELITTA_RSJ_BLACK

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 16:54
I dont do this on the trail. But Milita makes a cone shaped piece of plastic that sits on your mug or cup. then you put in your v shaped paper filter, then your grinds, pour hot water through it and you are done. It's cheap, you dont have to go to rei to get it, and clean up is simple. I do it daily at home b/c it beats the electric drip by a mile- its a quality cup.

Check it out http://www.espressoparts.com/MELITTA_RSJ_BLACKDon't all these non-hiking manufacturers know that they need to start listing weights ;) that thing is sexy looking too!

daddytwosticks
01-24-2013, 17:11

Check it out http://www.espressoparts.com/MELITTA_RSJ_BLACK How would you deal with the wet coffee grinds and wet filter? :)

bannerstone
01-24-2013, 17:22
I just make my own coffee "tea bags" from cone filters, just a fold or two and staple it closed with an office stapler.

I bring my water to a boil, pour into my MSR insulated mug, toss the bag and snap on the lid to steep for a bit. Almost like home and it stays hot for a good while. For me, the insulate mug makes all the difference as far as enjoying my morning coffee or any hot drink on the trail. I can sip on it piping hot as I'm breaking camp or reading in my hammock.

When I used to make and drink it from my cook pot, I too often found myself guzzling it down before it got cold. It hardly seemed worth the trouble to make.

David

Tinker
01-24-2013, 17:28
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701-1&va=stainless+mesh+coffee+basket

Take your pick of baskets to "brew" your own "drip coffee". Just boil some water in a pot, turn the stove off, and lower a basket with coffee grounds in it into the pot. Dunk it up and down a few times and you have pretty much the same coffee as you would at home. Knock the filter against a tree to "clean" it, and you can put it in your cookset (unless you cook with a small cup) as part of your nesting cooking and eating gear (or kit, if you prefer ;)). I use a 12 cup basket which weighs almost nothing (no, I'm not going to my gear closet just to weigh it for you :D). They are very inexpensive and you can get them at most grocery stores or Wal-Mart and similar big box retailers. Oh - why the 12 cup filter? It weighs almost the same as the smaller ones (less than the MSR in-cup model) and I can make coffee for my friends.

Here's my old one http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/picture_378_thumb.jpg[/URL ([URL]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43664)]

It looks just like my new one, but the mesh was nylon and it melted when I put the basket in while the stove was still burning. The new one with the stainless mesh should last until I step on it :o

flemdawg1
01-24-2013, 18:24
I've used almost every method, except the aeropress, over the years.

Instant: Starbucks Via and Medadlio de Oro are the best, Taster's Choice regular the worst, Nescafe pretty decent (esp the dark roast (French, columbian)), very lightweight, small amount of trash (packaging). Current favorite.

French press: makes excellent coffee, some clean up involved to rinse grounds out of press, large amount of variety due to using any coffee.
I used a 6oz double walled press that made 12oz of coffee. If weight was no object, I'd take this every time.

Merlitta Filter: decent brew, most error prone due to spills (an empty lightweight cup with a full cone on top is very unstable (spilled a couple of times, wanted to cry, curse and kick small pets)). Also produced the most trash (wet grounds and filters).

Another Kevin
01-24-2013, 21:32
How would you deal with the wet coffee grinds and wet filter? :)

Gee, and here I thought I was the only guy to use a Melitta on the trail, and I was keeping it a dirty little secret. (I don't always bring it, but often.)

In wet weather, I squeeze out the moisture as best I can and pack it out. Usually it goes inside a ziploc that I used for freezer-bag cooking the night before, along with the envelopes from my instant oatmeal, the wrapper of my Clif bar, or whatever other packaging I'm packing out. In dry weather, I let grounds, paper filter, and all dry out, and use it for fire-starter. Dry coffee grounds burn pretty well.

GSI makes a collapsible filter cone, but it's nearly 5 ounces and a regular old Melitta cone is only about 2. The MSR MugMate is lighter, but (a) it makes worse coffee because more of the sediment gets through, (b) it's a pain in the you-know-what to clean up, while simply folding the paper filter, grounds and all, and bunging it in a Ziploc is a snap.

The filter cone, of course, functions as a funnel, which makes it easier to use 1-litre soda bottles as water bottles. So it comes out when I'm pumping water and not just when I'm making coffee.

Keurig coffee pods are a convenient way of carrying premeasured ground coffee and keeping it fresh. Just slice through the foil top and pour the coffee into the filter.

And if I can't have coffee I'M NOT GOING.

Toolshed
01-24-2013, 21:58
Over the years, I have picked up a melitta over-the-cup filter, an MSR Mugmate and a Cup-pour-ri (http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/cup.pour.ri-one-cup-coffee-steeper-6) (green spoony filter-like thingy).
But I keep going back to my 25+ year staple. Coughlins single filter packs (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29570). They are cheap, simple, easy to clean up (no clean-up actually) and double as a pre-filter over the end of my water filter "acorn"

Namtrag
01-24-2013, 22:32
Trader Joe's instant with the creamer and sugar mixed in tastes pretty good. Comes in little packets, just add hot water.

Bill Strebler
01-25-2013, 00:38
I don't think this thread is going to be good for my overall pack weight. I don't know if the Nescafe instant here is the same as the Nescafe Clasico in Mexico, or if it will taste the same when I make it, but I'll probably give that a try to keep from having the extra weight from ground or liquid and all the extra trash to deal with.

sgt easy
01-28-2013, 20:08
i use a basic coffee sock, which has lasted over 10 years and weighs nothing - ground coffee in, boiling water in, cup under, less than 30 seconds to drip thru. flip inside out to clean, wring it out, good to go. coffee is preground peet's french roast in ziploc, which may help any other coffee addicts out there.....

jaymann
01-29-2013, 15:57
Melitta sells the one cup brewer without the mug too, I found them at a store in the mall for $2.99. Also, while we are talking about Melitta, if anyone here likes strong coffee, give the Melitta European Extra Dark Roast a try.

Creek Dancer
01-29-2013, 16:14
Ok, the coffee snobs here are probably going to blow a gasket over this, but for a no-cook breakfast on the trail, I mix my Starbucks Via with instant breakfast and Nido. Hydration, caffeine, vitamins and some protein to start the day. I usually add a Kashi bar or something similar, but this way I do not have to break out the stove in the morning. Less fuel to carry too.

jeffmeh
01-29-2013, 17:12
i use a basic coffee sock, which has lasted over 10 years and weighs nothing - ground coffee in, boiling water in, cup under, less than 30 seconds to drip thru. flip inside out to clean, wring it out, good to go. coffee is preground peet's french roast in ziploc, which may help any other coffee addicts out there.....

It would be tough to get simpler or lighter than that for real coffee.

Another Kevin
01-29-2013, 18:36
Cowboy coffee is simpler and lighter even than a coffee sock. I still carry my Melitta.

jeffmeh
01-30-2013, 00:05
Cowboy coffee is simpler and lighter even than a coffee sock. I still carry my Melitta.

I will grant you lighter, but the sock is more forgiving of the grind, so one could make the argument that is simpler. :)

BirdBrain
01-30-2013, 01:21
Ok, the coffee snobs here are probably going to blow a gasket over this, but for a no-cook breakfast on the trail, I mix my Starbucks Via with instant breakfast and Nido. Hydration, caffeine, vitamins and some protein to start the day. I usually add a Kashi bar or something similar, but this way I do not have to break out the stove in the morning. Less fuel to carry too.

I am glad to see this. I plan on doing the same. I am a huge coffee drinker. I take caffeine in every form I can get. I planned on doing the same thing but using powdered milk. Nido is hard to find up here in Maine. I would like to add some form of honey to this mix as well if I could figure out how to get it to mix.

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 01:29
I have actually cut way down on the coffee, but love it just the same. I to would just dump it all in my oats If I needed the bump in the morning. Just tried the VIA Blonde Roast...and it's pretty good.

Creek Dancer
01-30-2013, 09:12
I am glad to see this. I plan on doing the same. I am a huge coffee drinker. I take caffeine in every form I can get. I planned on doing the same thing but using powdered milk. Nido is hard to find up here in Maine. I would like to add some form of honey to this mix as well if I could figure out how to get it to mix.

Glad I am not the only one! I dump all the ingredients into a 20 oz. wide mouth bottle and shake. I should add that I use 2 Vias for this amount of liquid. Honey would taste good too, but it might be hard to rinse out of the bottle.

JAK
01-30-2013, 09:29
Very cool. Very cool. I am sure you could improvise a re-useable filter. Wonder what alternative uses it might have, filtering tea leaves for example.

Any thoughts on the best light weight grinder that can be used on the trail for both coffee beans and spices?

surfnturk
01-30-2013, 09:31

Try to find some honey powder, which is freeze dried honey w/ a bit of malodextrin. The brand I use is Arizona Farms Cactus Honey Powder. It's dry and light, much lighter that regular sugar.

JAK
01-30-2013, 09:31
Sorry I only meant to say very cool once. Editing error. It's cool, but not that cool. :-)

JAK
01-30-2013, 09:38
I am a big fan of keeping honey in its natural state. Why mess with such a wonderful thing. I like its natural self-preservation qualities, which makes it good for first aid like sores, and possible the stomach with some cinnamon. Honey is only about 10% water so you don't save much weight by dehydrating it, and it is sense than sugar by volume. Can be used to mix with other goods, like biscuits, to preserve the biscuits and reduce pack volume, and improve taste of course. I think elves do this regularly when travelling. Not sure. Can also premix honey or maple syrup with bacon fat, but that strikes me as more of a dwarf thing.

Creek Dancer
01-30-2013, 10:30
Honey. Yummers. Ok, so now you've got me thinking about biscuits! I like to make these on the trail l too. I use the just-add-water variety. I coat the bottom of my cook pot with a little bit of oil, dump in the biscuit mixture, cover the pot and set my pot near, but not in, the campfire to cook the biscuits. You have to keep an eye on the heat though because your pot can scortch easily and ruin the biscuits, which would be an awful shame. I have also cooked them over my stove, but this can take some time and uses a lot of fuel.

BirdBrain
01-30-2013, 10:56
I am a big fan of keeping honey in its natural state. Why mess with such a wonderful thing. I like its natural self-preservation qualities, which makes it good for first aid like sores, and possible the stomach with some cinnamon. Honey is only about 10% water so you don't save much weight by dehydrating it, and it is sense than sugar by volume. Can be used to mix with other goods, like biscuits, to preserve the biscuits and reduce pack volume, and improve taste of course. I think elves do this regularly when travelling. Not sure. Can also premix honey or maple syrup with bacon fat, but that strikes me as more of a dwarf thing.

Fully agree with every point. Now how do I get it to mix in a cold breakfast drink. Probably should just use it as a chaser.

BirdBrain
01-30-2013, 10:59
Try to find some honey powder, which is freeze dried honey w/ a bit of malodextrin. The brand I use is Arizona Farms Cactus Honey Powder. It's dry and light, much lighter that regular sugar.

Yes, I have heard of this. It loses much of its natural properties in the process. I guess I am just whining at this point. I can't have it both ways.

aficion
01-30-2013, 11:24
Cowboy coffee seems the simplest lightest way to go. No additives please.

polechar
01-30-2013, 11:30
Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Cuissential-SlickDrip-Collapsible-Silicone-Dripper/dp/B0051HEFAS/ref=pd_sim_sg_7
Looks like it works pretty good if watch the video, I'm not sure of the actual weight though, I think I might have to try this out.

polechar
01-30-2013, 11:34
I just read a review that says it is 3.5oz

BirdBrain
01-30-2013, 11:42
I just read a review that says it is 3.5oz

Looks interesting. I would jump on it, but have already tried the Melitta version. There are issues with trying to get a good cup of coffee away from electricity. I go for the best I can at home. It will be instant on the trail for me (and sometimes cold).

turtle fast
01-30-2013, 11:59
I have been using a coffee sock by IMUSA which works pretty well. When I lived in Venezuela, we would use a similar wire circle that had what looked like an old nylon over it (minus the foot funk). Otherwise , I use a GSI coffee filter that attaches to a Nalgene which comes in handy when I ask others if they want some in camp.

colorado_rob
01-30-2013, 13:01
I've been drinking and enjoying those SB Via's since they came out, but even at Costco, kinda expensive (about 70 cents a pop, but I usually mix two in a 12 oz cup). finally, there is a competitor; good old folgers, which I hate as regular coffee, now has a product called "Fresh Breaks", "Black Silk" flavor, comes in packets just like the SB Via's. I just tried them, really not too bad. About half the price of the Vias. Taste-tests continue... definitely a different taste, but good and strong and even one single pack works for me.

turtle fast
01-30-2013, 13:10
Lately though I have been making Turkish coffee....simple to make and strong. Instead of using a fancy Ibirk for making it I just use my pot. Add coffee, ground cardomom, and water, bring to a boil when frothing remove from heat add sugar put back on heat to froth again (some add sugar at the first boil). You do it two or three times and pour into cup and await the grounds to settle...and it will be mud. Turkish grind is a finer grind than conventional coffee grinds....so if you grind your own the better.

hootjm
01-30-2013, 20:23
Trader Joe's instant with the creamer and sugar mixed in tastes pretty good. Comes in little packets, just add hot water.

Trader Joe's instant is the best I found so far. I like it better than Starbuck's Via.

JAK
01-30-2013, 20:51
Not sure but I think the sugar helps it settle also, same as with espresso and plain old cowboy coffee. This is the only time I like some sort of sugar vs honey. Honey works great for latte's and chai though. With coffee for latte's or whatever you definitely need to filter or otherwise separate the grains before adding milk as milk makes it harder to separate and filter. Actually I haven't tried honey for settling grains, I just like the sprinkling of the sugar. Sort of a ritual. When using honey with a cold beverage, it will disolve but yeah it definitely takes some stirring. Helps to add the honey to the drink rather that the other way but the colder it is the less that helps and the more stirring or shaking you have to do. What's the cold beverage? Just curious. I like ovaltine but it is usually sweet enough. The UK stuff is different than the US stuff. We get both here in Canada. Honey on snow is a favourite of my daughters on winter hikes.

BirdBrain
02-01-2013, 03:19
Glad I am not the only one! I dump all the ingredients into a 20 oz. wide mouth bottle and shake. I should add that I use 2 Vias for this amount of liquid. Honey would taste good too, but it might be hard to rinse out of the bottle.

Tried it with honey today. I was surprised to see how well the honey mixed.
1 packet carnation instant breakfast, 2 coffee scoops instant coffee, 1/3 cup powdered milk, one tablespoon honey, fill 20oz container with water.
Stir well and drink. It was thinner than I thought. Could use more honey, less powdered milk, and maybe another packet of carnation instant breakfast.
I am looking for something with substance. Might even mix oatmeal in.

surfnturk
02-01-2013, 07:51
Trader Joe's instant is the best I found so far. I like it better than Starbuck's Via.

What he said.

tjkenney67
02-01-2013, 13:56
Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Cuissential-SlickDrip-Collapsible-Silicone-Dripper/dp/B0051HEFAS/ref=pd_sim_sg_7
Looks like it works pretty good if watch the video, I'm not sure of the actual weight though, I think I might have to try this out.

just received mine today from Amazon. This thing is awesome! Excellent quality. I tested it twice this morning. From boiling water with my alcohol stove to clean up with bottled water. Clean up is very simple. I used Starbucks 8 cup compressed packets from the local grocery store. One was an expresso blend, awesome!

It uses number 2 paper filters. This can be replaced with a mesh cone filter for even easier clean up.

I will not go back to instant coffee on the trail... I highly recommend the Slick Drip for hardcore coffee drinkers...

polechar
02-01-2013, 17:48
just received mine today from Amazon. This thing is awesome! Excellent quality. I tested it twice this morning. From boiling water with my alcohol stove to clean up with bottled water. Clean up is very simple. I used Starbucks 8 cup compressed packets from the local grocery store. One was an expresso blend, awesome!

It uses number 2 paper filters. This can be replaced with a mesh cone filter for even easier clean up.

I will not go back to instant coffee on the trail... I highly recommend the Slick Drip for hardcore coffee drinkers...

That's great to hear, I ordered one and cant wait to get it. Thanks for the review!

Big Dawg
02-02-2013, 06:00

Thanks for this post 2stix... bought some recently and was quite impressed. In the past few years, I've resorted to chocolate covered coffee beans for my coffee/caffeine fix. This product will bring me back to the mornin liquid gold! I like the option of a cold brew, just in case I don't want to break out the cook kit. In my concrete jungle life, I actually prefer iced coffee/espresso drinks anyway. Thanks again!!!

JAK
02-02-2013, 06:21
Grabbing my coffee and heading out to do my morning papers. Cheerio.

rocketsocks
02-02-2013, 06:24
Grabbing my coffee and heading out to do my morning papers. Cheerio.See ya JAK, I'm gonna get some coffees my own self.

colorado_rob
02-02-2013, 07:59
Trader Joe's instant is the best I found so far. I like it better than Starbuck's Via. Sure would like to try it! Alas, no trader Joes in the Denver area, and I can't figure out how to order the stuff online. I need to try again...

JAK
02-02-2013, 08:56
I'm back. Cold out there. Have to change my front tires, had a flat on 17" rims. Need some front end work done but until then throwing some old 16" on my 16" rims but my old 16" tires are full of ice so I have to thaw them out. Should have done it two days ago when we had that warm wind up here. Brought the tires inside by the fireplace.

Time to grab another coffee and think about this some more. :-)

polechar
02-02-2013, 15:16
I received my slick drip today and tried it out, made a great cup of coffee using some peets coffee. It weighed 3.5oz, I trimmed off the top ring of the cone, compressed it then trimmed the base to the same size as the compressed cone part. It now weighs 2.1oz and works just as perfectly as it did before I modified it. This is definitely what I'm going to use on my through.

springerfever
02-02-2013, 21:41
Been using the aeropress for the last four or five years. Hands down the best coffee method I have found. For backpacking I use the VIA instants. Tastes damn good on the trail. The Aeropress is just too heavy fro backpacking. Now if they came up with a titanium version.............!

Coffee Rules!
02-03-2013, 09:43
This is what I have: http://www.rei.com/product/708069/snow-peak-titanium-french-press-3-cup

It made coffee just as good as the regular press pot I use every day. Admittedly cleanup is a PITA with a French press, but worth it. I'd sooner give up a leg than give up coffee, and you can keep your instant blecch no matter how much it's improved from yesteryear. Starsucks shall never pass my lips unless someone lies to me and claims it isn't. If I find out I was lied to and given Starsucks, the association with said person will end on the spot.

I've thought of getting an aeropress from all I've read about them, but I have enough clutter in small enough space with baggage limits if I get moved around, so it'd be one more thing to tote or sacrifice. One of these days I'll try one.

polechar
02-05-2013, 11:43
Ok, so after a few more tests with the slick drip I found that it took a long time for the water to seep through the filter, so long by the time it was done I wanted to reheat the coffee back up.
So reluctantly I decided to modify my Areopress.
First thing I did was to cut it just above the number 2. (in the directions, you only fill it to the 2)
Next I cut some excess off the base.(the part that sits on the cup)
Then I removed the rubber off of the plunger and made my own plunger from some scrap aluminum. (cut a round piece of aluminum then welded on a handle, then put on the rubber).

The Areopress did weigh 8oz, mine now weighs 4.3oz
If you do not have a way to make a plunger you can cut down the original as shown in the second picture. with that done the total weight is 5.2oz

This might still be a little heavy for some but clean up is a snap and it makes an awesome cup of coffee.

ShadeeLane
02-05-2013, 13:54
I've been pretty happy with this Bodum setup (http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Double-Wall-16-Ounce-Thermal-Plastic/dp/B004QZA596/ref=sr_1_38?s=kitchen&srs=2586120011&ie=UTF8&qid=1360085510&sr=1-38&keywords=bodum). It's not ultralight by any means (~8.5 oz with the plastic hand thing removed) but it makes a nice cup of joe in the morning and my instant-using friends were pretty jealous. I just consider it a luxury item. Some of the reviewer complaints are true with a few grounds getting past the filter and the plunger not going down far enough to fully compress the grounds, but I don't really mind either of those things. Cleanup is really easy. Just pour a little water in, shake it around, and then toss some compost. Also, you've got a mug should the need arise (holds whiskey just fine).

Coffee Rules!
02-06-2013, 04:26
(holds whiskey just fine).

Here's to dual purposes!

Chaco Taco
03-07-2013, 11:37
found something really good by a great roastery that is local (for NE) and fair trade and loosk like easy for cleanup and simplicity
http://www.nhcoffee.com/coffee_pods.html

Stofko
03-07-2013, 12:17
A few years ago I was day hiking the AT south of HarpersFerry and was pasted by a SOBO thru hiker with a trombone in his pack. If hecan carry that for over 2000 miles I should be able to figure out how to get doubleduty out of a Trombone and brew a pot of coffee with it. The hard part will belearning to play a musical instrument.

SunnyWalker
03-11-2013, 22:49
I have recently read a book on making "Cowboy Coffee" and will be using that method on CDT starting this April 2013. Check out the book: "Making Great Cowboy Coffee: A Guide to Brewing Cowboy Coffee at Home and on the Campfire", Jack McCoy.
No need for cones, presses, etc., on the trail if you have your pot already. Read this book, its great.

swjohnsey
03-11-2013, 22:56
I am a cowboy coffee fan. Try putting your coffee in the water the night before. I put 1/4 cup coffee, 1/4 cup sugar and about 20 oz water in my pot with lid. First thing I do in the morning is put the pot on alcohol stoveand bring to boil, remove and put in cozy to steep about five minutes. Pour it off into my plastic "cup" made from bottom of Folgers coffee "can". Grounds will stay on bottom. By the time I am packed up and ready to go coffee is ready. Sit there and sip coffee 'til it is light enough to move. Heaven!

Special K
03-12-2013, 00:00
Someone might have mentioned this already but I make my own little coffee bags "to go". Works just like a tea bag. I don't staple though. Just put a tablespoon of your favorite coffee (Dunkin' Donuts):p in the center of a coffee filter, bunch up, twist and tie off with dental floss. Perfect cup every time! I have ziploc baggies full in each of my drop boxes. Weight: 1.2 oz.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-12-2013, 01:09
Folgers still makes coffee bags...ala tea bags. Also a simple 1-2 cup french press makes great coffee. A cheap one will run about $15, and is plastic and very lightweight and colorful. (Target or Walmart)

rocketsocks
03-12-2013, 02:25
I have recently read a book on making "Cowboy Coffee" and will be using that method on CDT starting this April 2013. Check out the book: "Making Great Cowboy Coffee: A Guide to Brewing Cowboy Coffee at Home and on the Campfire", Jack McCoy.
No need for cones, presses, etc., on the trail if you have your pot already. Read this book, its great.SunnyWalker, I'm posting this link because I was intrigued by your post. thanks for the heads up!

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Great-Cowboy-Coffee-Campfire/dp/0984496300

Ladytrekker
03-12-2013, 10:07
I buy the really small ziplock bags at a crafts store and then I put one Starbucks instant via, 2 sweet n lows, and a tablespoon of dried milk. Makes one perfect cup of coffee. It feels the ziplock completely but its easy just dump the entire bag into cup fill with hot water. Works for me.

Hikes in Rain
03-12-2013, 12:30
From Horace Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft:

Coffee To have coffee in perfection the berry must be freshly roasted and freshly ground This can be done with frying pan and pistol butt yet few but old timers take the trouble.

There are two ways of making good coffee in an ordinary pot 1. Put coffee in pot with cold water one heaped tablespoonful freshly ground to one pint, or more coffee if canned ground, and hang over fire Watch it and when water first begins to bubble remove pot from fire and let it stand five minutes. Settle grounds with a tablespoonful of cold water poured down spout, Do not let the coffee boil. Boiling extracts the tannin and drives off the volatile aroma, which is the most precious gift of superior berries. 2. Bring water to hard boil, remove from fire, and quickly put coffee in. Cover tightly and let steep ten minutes. A better way, when you have a seamless vessel that will stand dry heat, is to put coffee in place over gentle fire to roast until aroma begins to rise pour boiling water over the coffee cover tightly and set aside.

I do roast my own coffee, but generally in a modern roaster. I have roasted it in a skillet, but refrained from using a pistol butt to "grind" it! I once used two flat rocks, though, when I inadvertently left the bottom of my little backpacking coffee grinder home, along with the crank that was in it. Rocks: not so good, but better than nothing.

christoba123
03-24-2013, 15:37
I always like those powderes that Starbucks was selling. Im not sure if they are selling them anymore. I bought a ridiculous amount and ration them to only use while backpacking.