PDA

View Full Version : Pocket AM/FM Radio and new gear list

mainebob
01-20-2013, 12:03
I finally found a pocket radio that I like to bring on our 2012 NOBO Thru hike.. I wanted to have a very small/light AM/FM radio to listen to at night on the trail. Last year I used a small MP3 player that had an FM radio. I guess I am old fashioned and like a radio and not MP3 music. I also wanted it to use one AAA battery and not fro Amazon. It has a very sensitive analog tuner and gets great reception even out here in the country in Maine. The battery last a very long time. It weighs under 2 oz with one AAA battery.

I could not be happier. I also added a gear list to our blog if anyone is interested. http://sassafrasandkabooseatadventure.blogspot.com/p/gear-for-trip.html

Slo-go'en
01-20-2013, 12:52
Or you could have gone to Walmart and bought a little 2.9 oz Sony AM/FM digitally tuned radio which is powered with a single AAA battery but also has weather band and a clock.

Rocket Jones
01-20-2013, 13:51
Digital tuning and a clock will use up more battery life. Just a consideration.

mainebob
01-20-2013, 13:58
that was my understanding. I had read that an analog radio even though it is older technology was the way to go for long battery life and sensitivity of the tuner.

Slo-go'en
01-20-2013, 15:16

But not by much. The clock draws about 40 microamps. That is pretty much insignificant as far as the battery is concerned.

From the Sony web site, the analog SRF-S84 analog radio has an Alkaline battery life of 44 hours FM and 52 hours AM. The digital SRF-M37W runs 34 hours FM and 54 hours AM, so there isn't a whole lot of difference.

The analog S84 Mainebob choose is a little small, lighter and runs a little longer on FM then the digital M37, but the M37 has weather band, which for some could be a better trade off. Although I found you really need to remember to check the weather band up on the ridge, as a lot of times there is no reception down at the shelter.

Like in all gear choices, there are trade offs which is why we have so many different things to pick from.

Rocket Jones
01-20-2013, 15:24
That's a good reminder about checking the weather band. I use an old Sansa MP3 that uses a AAA, mostly for audiobooks and the radio. Don't recall if it has weather band or not.

RedRunnerJumper
01-23-2013, 16:20
Mainebob, where do you purchase that little radio?

Trail Bug
01-23-2013, 16:32
The digital SRF-M37W looks pretty small which is a plus. Does anyone know if it has a speaker or can it only be heard with the ear piece. Could not really tell from the web site.

Trail Bug
01-23-2013, 16:37
After reading through all the reviews came across the answer. No speaker, ear piece only.

mainebob
01-23-2013, 18:45
Mainebob, where do you purchase that little radio?
I bought if thru amazon.

mikec
01-23-2013, 18:58
I was stranded at Double Springs Shelter, TN for two days once during a snowstorm while section hiking the Smokies. A guy had a smal transistor radio with a speaker. It was great to listen to while eating and gathering wood for the fireplace. I had to have one, but with weather. So I bought this awhile afterwards:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YHQVE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

RedRunnerJumper
01-24-2013, 14:48
I've been looking on Amazon for something like that but hasn't found anything like that...

SunnyWalker
01-25-2013, 00:23
Yeah, i use the same one Slo-goen. Works great and one itsy bitsy tiny battery lasts a long time.

mykdavies
01-25-2013, 04:44
I've been looking on Amazon for something like that but hasn't found anything like that...

This (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SRF-S84-Compact-Walkman-Fontopia/dp/B000MSYFW4) looks like the one Mainebob was referring to.