PDA

View Full Version : Boot Selection?

Gillum
01-20-2013, 12:41
I love my Inov8 TerRoca 330 which I wear with Superfeet and Merino Wool liners. I am 5'11 & 235 lbs. and this footgear is the Perfect combo for me from May - September. However, what I need is more warmth and ankle support while hiking rocky and snow packed trails here in New England during the colder months of the year. Now I don't hike in deep powdery (post hole) snow but do hike on slippery or packed snow at times and the Inov8s just are not cutout for these types of conditions. Yes, I do use micros spikes at times with my Inov8s but let's be real, they are warm weather shoes and are great in wet conditions not necessarily COLD wet conditions.

Other than REI and EMS for which I have not much luck, limited variety (maybe) I have a few questions for which I would appreciate your thoughts

1. Where are you finding a selection of boots that meet your needs? I am interested in a retail store with a large variety so I can compare boots and obtain a proper fit. If push comes to shove and I have to purchase over the Internet (zappos.com) and deal with all the shipping issues, that would be my last option I would consider.

2. What boots are you wearing if you are hiking in conditions like I stated above.

I live in CT and am an AT section hiker where most of my recent hiking had been north of Virginia. As I travel often for business I could go just about anywhere knowing the boot selection is good and the experience of the retailer is above par!

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shocker
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 12:47
If you like Keen's, my wife and I both use Keen Revel's. Great boot, insulated and have been great in snowshoes.

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 12:49
The EMS in Arlington had them when I checked last week

Rasty
01-20-2013, 13:00
I just purchased a pair of Merrell Norsehund Beta 6" Mids for winter hiking http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/28997M/69245/Mens/Norsehund-Beta-Mid-6-inch-Waterproof?dimensions=0 in the South. If I was dealing with colder temps I also looked at the Merrell Norsehund Alpha 8" boots http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/28995M/69242/Mens/Norsehund-Alpha-8-inch-Waterproof?dimensions=0. I have only hiked about twenty miles so far with the 6" boots. They were waterproof and comfortable.

FatHead64
01-20-2013, 18:09
I use my Merrell Phaser Peaks here in lake effect Michigan all year round! I just got my second pair this fall - insides starting to fall apart on my first pair after about 2 years. Winter gear-wise, I have some crampons I use in snowy/icy conditions. Got them out once last winter and not so far this winter...

fredmugs
01-20-2013, 19:34
I think boots and ankle support are a myth. Other than thick mud I see no reason to not wear trail runners.

Rasty
01-20-2013, 19:47
I think boots and ankle support are a myth. Other than thick mud I see no reason to not wear trail runners.

Insulation and waterproof during the winter if snow is present.

Gillum
01-21-2013, 09:49
Fredmuggs... How do you keep your feet warm while hiking during a New England winter wearing trail runners?

Shocker

jeffmeh
01-21-2013, 12:08
You could try goretex socks over insulating socks with your trail runners, and good gaiters. That's not a bad option, although I would go with boots if I were doing an extended winter trip.

10-K
01-21-2013, 12:13
You could try goretex socks over insulating socks with your trail runners, and good gaiters. That's not a bad option, although I would go with boots if I were doing an extended winter trip.

I was going to say.... Goretex socks, quarter length merino wool hiking sock, trail runners, and optionally gaiters. :)

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 12:17
Trail runners wont cut it, in my opinion, in New England right now. Reading some of the stories in Appalachia about some of the rescues and one of the first indications is about proper insulated footwear. If they have to come get you and you are not in some sort of insulated boot, Id say count on paying for your rescue. I have Merrell Moab Goretex trailrunners and would not hike in them in the late fall and winter months.

Gillum
01-21-2013, 12:37
Chaco, I agree... Still trying to get obtain some input on my first question. Any advice?

Shocker

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 12:43
If you like Keen's, my wife and I both use Keen Revel's. Great boot, insulated and have been great in snowshoes.
Post #2>>>>>>

Gillum
01-21-2013, 13:45
Thanks ill inquire about where Keens are sold in my area. I was hoping to find a retail store with a better variety than REI and EMS. Just seems when it comes to boots you "are limited to what you can find" or my favorite "I don't know what I don't know".

Thank you all for your comments.

Shocker

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2013, 13:56
Have you tried Outdoor Sports Center in Wilton, CT yet? It would be worth giving them a call to see what kind of selection they stock. I haven't been there Ina few years, but they're one of the more knowledgeable outdoor shops in my area.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2013, 14:10
Also, if you ever find yourself in North Conway, NH there are a lot of outfitters located there that cater to people who are hiking the white mountains/presidential range, International Mountain Equipment (http://www.ime-usa.com/ime/index.html) and a massive EMS are the first two that come to mind. If you're looking for true winter boot, this would be an ideal area to go.

Gillum
01-21-2013, 14:13
Thanks!!! I'll check them out.

Shocker

colorado_rob
01-21-2013, 14:38
+1 on those Merrell Phasers; I'm on my second pair as well. I do like to waterproof the leather every couple/few outings though this time of year. I just glob some good old fashioned snow-seal on with a rag and hit 'em with a hair dryer for a few minutes to soak the beeswax in. Voila, nice and "snow proof" outsides (meaning fairly waterproof) with the gore-tex liners helping as well for what does get through. I don't use separate gators, but I do use winter pants with a built in elastic gator (that also connects to the boot laces) to keep snow out of the tops.

Of course you would get the usual "trail runners rule" responses, and though I do agree that "high top boots", per se, don't really add much ankle support, a relatively stiff sole does add support, and these Merrells have a fairly stiff sole.

Throw in a pair of Khatola Micro Spikes on and you'd be good for a lot of the conditions you're talking about. This is my Colorado winter setup in all but the coldest of conditions (where I grab my bomber mountaineering boots).