PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Next weekend

Rasty
01-20-2013, 13:06
It looks like we are due some snow next Friday in the Smokies. I have jury duty on Tuesday and hopefully can get up there by Thursday. The weather report looks promising for about 6 to 8 inches of snow on Friday. My plan is to hike from Fontana to Davenport Gap. Anyone else planning on being in the Smokies?

HikerMom58
01-20-2013, 13:12
May the force be with you, Rasty.....I hope someone will go with you. I'm a "Mom".. what can I say?

Rasty
01-20-2013, 14:26
I'm going solo. Just wondering if I will see anyone else around. It's always nice to meet a few WBers. Does anyone know how much the shuttle from Standing Bear to Fontana is?

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 14:32
I'm going solo. Just wondering if I will see anyone else around. It's always nice to meet a few WBers. Does anyone know how much the shuttle from Standing Bear to Fontana is?
Hmm I think its $40

Chaco Taco
01-20-2013, 14:35
But I would just call Curtis because his shuttle fees may change year to year with gas prices

johnnybgood
01-20-2013, 14:38
You taking boots and gaiters, perhaps snowshoes ?

Rasty
01-20-2013, 14:45
You taking boots and gaiters, perhaps snowshoes ?

Flip flops, sunglasses and arm floaties! Just joking! I'm all set with boots, gaiters, microspikes. I don't think there will be enough snow for snowshoes but I could be wrong.

Rasty
01-20-2013, 14:45
But I would just call Curtis because his shuttle fees may change year to year with gas prices

I emailed and will call on Tuesday when I know if I'm done with jury duty.

Biggie Master
01-20-2013, 14:49
I was up there yesterday, and it was beautiful. Lots of snow in the higher elevations, but the trail was fine. Creek crossings took a little navigation since all the rain last week. We hiked up Snake Den and the north on the AT back to the hostel. Stayed with the folks at Standing Bear on Friday night, and Maria shuttled us to the starting point (Cosby Campground) On Saturday morning. Big shout out to Curtis, Maria, and Rocket at Standing Bear! Thanks for everything.

Biggie Master
01-20-2013, 14:52
I emailed and will call on Tuesday when I know if I'm done with jury duty.

Oh, Rasty just FYI the phone lines have been down. Leave a message on the cell, and they will call back when they're out running errands/shuttles. I had left messages too, and when Maria called she explained that they were having issues with power and phone connections.

Rasty
01-20-2013, 14:53
Oh, Rasty just FYI the phone lines have been down. Leave a message on the cell, and they will call back when they're out running errands/shuttles. I had left messages too, and when Maria called she explained that they were having issues with power and phone connections.

Do you have the cell number?

Biggie Master
01-20-2013, 15:01
It's on their site... http://www.standingbearfarm.com/

Rasty
01-20-2013, 15:14
It's on their site... http://www.standingbearfarm.com/

I guess I could have looked there, it is where I got the email address.

GLIDER304GUIDER
01-20-2013, 15:26
Rasty- Three of us from Wilmington will be hiking from Newfound Gap to Davenport staring on Friday if the road opens up from the Gatlinburg side. We'll be at Icewater on Friday night.

DJ

Rasty
01-20-2013, 15:34
Rasty- Three of us from Wilmington will be hiking from Newfound Gap to Davenport staring on Friday if the road opens up from the Gatlinburg side. We'll be at Icewater on Friday night.

DJ

I won't make to it to Icewater until Saturday unless I get kicked off jury duty. If I do I will try to start a day early. I'm planning to start at Fontana and stay at Russell Field, then Silers Bald, then Icewater Spring, then TriCorner Knob then Cosby. I could leave my car at Fontana and get a shuttle back. By the way welcome to Whiteblaze. :welcome

HikerMom58
01-20-2013, 15:38
Duoh... I just remembered that Rifle is hiking through there right now according to his TJ. Too bad the 2 WB celebrities R&R (Rasty and Rifle) couldn't have hiked through together...:D Have fun GLIDER304GUIDER...talk Rasty into hiking with y'all. :)

Rasty
01-20-2013, 15:51
Duoh... I just remembered that Rifle is hiking through there right now according to his TJ. Too bad the 2 WB celebrities R&R (Rasty and Rifle) couldn't have hiked through together...:D Have fun GLIDER304GUIDER...talk Rasty into hiking with y'all. :)

Rifle will be at Davenport Gap by Thursday. Besides he might carve his name into my forehead from what I hear! :banana