PDA

View Full Version : Getting Closer!

Giantsbane
01-20-2013, 17:00
Alright Class of 2013, most of use are around two months out. Has anyone dropped out yet? Anyone's resolve been strengthened? I'm excited to get on this conquer this trail and finally put some faces to all the posts I've been seeing in this section of the forum. Don't give up, we'll make it there! And now, more dancing bananas. :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Danl
01-20-2013, 17:14
Been so ready that it is getting harder to contain myself.

ChinMusic
01-20-2013, 17:23
My plan is to leave my house one month after tomorrow. Hope to start on 2/23

Lemens
01-20-2013, 17:51
It makes everyday of work just drag on.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 17:59
I was out prep hiking today, it was 60 degrees and sunny. I almost said **** It and stuck out my thumb to hitch a ride South. Then I remembered the Snow in the mountains and how pissed my kids would be when I didnt come home with there dog.

Liminal
01-20-2013, 18:15
My resolve is stronger everyday, although we are getting more and more snow here everyday (shoveled about 3 feet of heavy stuff off the roof a few days ago) and cold... -3 brrr... so that I wonder :-?.. NOT REALLY... no giving up!!

What I am doing to keep my mind off how deliriously excited (is that redundant?) I am...

I just got a roll of Tyvek in the mail and am experimenting with it. (footprint, mittens, etc...)
(also got a great deal on Patagonia fabric on closeout at local fabric store -shirt maybe?)
I just downloaded AT books on my Kindle to read over the next few weeks
...getting my drop boxes organized and filled up
...thinking about making a net bug suit, but my (experienced) son called today and laughed heartily at me... hey, I've been atop Camel's Hump when all one can do is step to the peak, say A'HA and run back down as fast as one can because the black flies are so bad!!

Trying to figure best camera to take??? everyone says Lumix... I have a Canon PowerShot that would be okay, but I want really good!
and I took a part time job for the next few weeks just to maintain some sort of sanity (and help pay for the really good camera)

The middle of March can't come soon enough :)

Max L
01-20-2013, 18:57
At this point I keep three countdown calendars. One counts days of work left. Another counts days until I'll put in my notice. And my favorite, counts days till I fly to Atlanta (74)!

ever4ward
01-20-2013, 22:27
Just finished reviewing our entire mail drop schedule. Our food should arrive in 5 days to be boxed up for shipping. We have to drive to Texas to deliver our food to Mimi "On Star" who will provide on-demand shipping and deliver our dogs to daughter for safekeeping. Renting a car to Georgia, hoping to stay at Len Foote then hitting the trail on March 7 providing the weather is good. Expecting a blizzard here on Tuesday that will put an end to the iceboating but will improve the skiing. Looking forward to turning off the laptop and iPhone and taking a walk in the woods!

lobotomized
01-22-2013, 13:36
It makes everyday of work just drag on.

THIS. I feel your pain Lemens

jimmyjam
01-22-2013, 19:39
My attention span is down to almost zero. I have hiking on the brain 24/7.

starbright
01-22-2013, 22:43
Just finished reading 300 zero's and it just made me more excited about getting on the trail.

Giantsbane
01-23-2013, 00:07
My attention span is down to almost zero. I have hiking on the brain 24/7.

THIS as well. I feel like everyone is getting tired of me talking about my hike, and I know it is only going to get worse. I dread the 12 hour drive to get to the trail. I'll be so anxious.

RedRunnerJumper
01-23-2013, 05:42
About 43 days till it all starts! Hiking/backpacking is always on my mind, even when i sleep, I dream I'm on the trail! Though soon I will put in my 2 weeks at work and before you know it I'll be traveling down south to start! Class 2013!

TheGreek
01-25-2013, 19:26
My resolve just went through the roof. I am sitting in Charlotte NC on my way back from Austin, right now. I went out with the intention of quitting my job to do the AT, which I tried to do in December and was asked to stay on until March. To my surprise, the president of my company not only said he completely understood why I was doing and that he thought it was awesome, he also said my job would be waiting for me if I wanted it back when I get done. No demotion, no change of title, I can get off the AT and hop on the first flight back to Europe (my territory) and they'll be completely fine with it.

I'm beyond ecstatic at this point. I picked up my new pack (Atmos 60) the day before I flew out to Austin. I've got a few pieces of gear left to get (new pad, down jacket) and then I am planning to try and do a 2-3 day shakedown trip from Springer to see how my loadout works.

pegcam
01-25-2013, 19:38
I'm flying in to ALT too! I'm trying to find information on what's the best way to fly with my backpack. Are you using a duffel or other type of bag for the flight. Have you found any advice on this. I was thinking I would find a cheap duffel that I a toss once I get there. Or should I just check the pack as luggage?

GooseMan
01-25-2013, 19:43
pegcam,

I have flown a couple times now with my pack for section hikes. I get a cheap duffel from Goodwill, usually $5 or less. You might have to check a few times to get one that fits. When I get to my destination, I see if the store or shuttle driver wants it for the next person who might need it. I sure don't want to carry it.

TheGreek
01-25-2013, 20:15
My resolve just went through the roof. I am sitting in Charlotte NC on my way back from Austin, right now. I went out with the intention of quitting my job to do the AT, which I tried to do in December and was asked to stay on until March. To my surprise, the president of my company not only said he completely understood why I was doing and that he thought it was awesome, he also said my job would be waiting for me if I wanted it back when I get done. No demotion, no change of title, I can get off the AT and hop on the first flight back to Europe (my territory) and they'll be completely fine with it.

I'm beyond ecstatic at this point. I picked up my new pack (Atmos 60) the day before I flew out to Austin. I've got a few pieces of gear left to get (new pad, down jacket) and then I am planning to try and do a 2-3 day shakedown trip from Springer to see how my loadout works.

I actually live in Dahlonega, so I am just throwing my stuff in a car and driving to the trailhead when I start in March. But for travel, I'd say you want to carry it on if at all possible. Most airlines will let you do so unless the plane is just absolutely packed. I've flown several times with my Arc'Teryx ECHO pack filled up and not had any problems.

Just make sure you aren't carrying your knife or stove fuel, and your liquids are all under whatever ounces if you are carrying it on.

When are you getting into ATL? I may do some shuttleing of thru-hikers for cost-of-gas if I have time leading up to my hike.

Scotto
01-26-2013, 21:01
I'm flying in to ALT too! I'm trying to find information on what's the best way to fly with my backpack. Are you using a duffel or other type of bag for the flight. Have you found any advice on this. I was thinking I would find a cheap duffel that I a toss once I get there. Or should I just check the pack as luggage?
From what I have read, hiking poles must be in checked baggage, although that policy may not be consistany applied. Between a lighter, knife and hiking poles, it sounds like you will have to check at least some baggage. I can't decide if I should check everything, or just the items I have to.

slntmnt
01-28-2013, 19:23
Everyday of work goes incredibly slow but looking back it feels like only yesterday this was still 120 days aways! down to 57 days, 38 work days...giving my notice tomorrow! My resolve is as strong as it's ever been!

Josh Calhoun
01-29-2013, 14:41
19 days until i begin the approach trail. time is dragging

lobotomized
01-29-2013, 15:04
39 days until my flight to Atlanta... Just finished reading AWOL's book... again.

StylinLP38
01-29-2013, 17:25
Working as an IT Contractor sucks. Pay is amazing. They never let you know if they will extend your contract until 1 month before its up. Current contract ends March31. Hear rumours they will extend another 3months. sigh.

Zmaidment
01-29-2013, 19:57
Check it as luggage. Some people wrap their bag in plastic wrap

rjohns94
02-05-2013, 21:45
My last day of work is Friday. Shooting for a march 1 start date. Waited for this some 33 years. Yeah I'm excited. Been section hiking for a few years. Can't wait for the thru hike to start. See you out there

Wasp
02-06-2013, 17:42
49 day´s and I cant await it. I really really want to start better now than tomorrow...but I have to wait until March 28th ;(

ever4ward
02-06-2013, 18:44
We leave New Hampshire on Saturday (3 days :banana ) if Snow-ma-geddon allows:confused: . Two weeks in Austin for grandson's BDay:clap and to take care of some business:datz then flying to Atlanta! Decompression at AFSP lodge then up to Len Foote then walking into the woods on March 9. I'm afraid my pack will be worn out before we get there if I keep unpacking and re-packing 5 times a day!:eek:

colorado_rob
02-06-2013, 19:35
I just gave my retirement notice today! Wow, kind of a big step, but it's time. Alas, still 6 more weeks of work.

Tickets bought to Atlanta, we leave in less than two months. We'll be climbing peaks all over the NC/SC/GA area for a few days, then my wife drops me at ASP, and off I go. I look forward to crossing paths with you fine folks!