PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Apache or Marmot Helium

redseal
01-20-2013, 17:04
I am looking to get a 15 degree bag. I have narrowed it down to the WM Apache and the Marmot Helium. I see lots of good reviews for the WM products, but the Marmot seems to be comparable from a technical specification perspective. What would you choose and why?

Any other sleeping bags I should be considering? Looking for a 15 deg. down bag. Under 2 lbs. Less than $600.

Thanks.

ky chris
02-07-2013, 10:12
I'm looking at these two bags too. From my research, both are top notch bags. The Apache has a neck gasket and is a slimmer cut.

The neck gasket will keep your body warmer, but I really like not having one because when it's cold and I have the hood cinched, the warm air can mix with my breath and keep the air i'm breathing from being so cold. So basically personal preference but I'd rather have the Helium.

The slimmer cut of the Apache will also keep you warmer but some don't like the confinement. The extra room on the Helium will allow you to wear extra clothes like a down jacket and pants to take the bag down further than rated. Again, personal preference but I'd rather have the helium with the extra room.

The Helium weighs a few ounces more.

You will rarely find a sale on a WM bag. You can find the Marmot bag on sale. I've recently found it on sale for $315. Amazon had it for $315 a few days ago. If you buy from Amazon, put it in your cart and click on your cart everyday. It will give you a message box saying if the price has increased or decreased.

I had been going back and forth on either buying a Hydrogen or Helium. Of course, the day I finally decided on the Helium, the price went back to retail. :( It does that when they get low on stock. Fingers crossed that it will go back down soon.

Oh, and there's one on Ebay for $300, but I'd rather buy from Amazon.