PDA

View Full Version : Multiday hike in Big Sur

Darwin13
01-20-2013, 17:49
Anyone have any experience with a hiking in Big Sur? Il be there early June and I am looking for a nice little 2 to 3 day hike with zero technical climbing. I don't care if its a hard hike or whatever, just nothing that involves technical climbing.

Anything between 25 to 40 miles would be great. Thanks!

Ps. Anything with secret or remote locations to camp or see amazing landscapes or geographical features, even if it takes a 'crazy' person to get there would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks again.

Spirit Walker
01-21-2013, 13:58
There is a 2-3 day hike across the mountains near Big Sur, but I can't remember what it is called. I did an overnight many years ago in the Ventana Wilderness - it was a beautiful hike with the ocean below. Lots of poison oak and ticks though.

Malto
01-21-2013, 17:10
Here is the best info that I found on Ventana.
http://www.bigsurtrailmap.net/bigsur_trailmap.html

Pay very careful attention to the colors of the trail. Some of the lost trails will never be found. I will second the caution on the poison oak as well. This is a very cool area though I would do some research on the best time of year. I think summer can be brutal. I went in the fall and it was wonderful. Also, treat your water, I can tell you from experience that it is required, and it wasn't a good experience.

rocketsocks
01-21-2013, 19:48
Beware the "Stellar Jay's", they'll steal unattended food....come to think of it, they'll steal attended food too. Good looking birds though!...loud!
Saw a 9 Lb. pine cone there once to...Ouch!

BigHodag
01-21-2013, 21:46
You seek the Ventana Wilderness.

http://www.ventanawild.org/trails.html

I backpacked in this area a few years back. The main hiking trail begins just south of Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. You want to stop by the ranger station and ensure you have a current fire permit. Permits are free, no test, and they're good for a full year.

The Pine Ridge Trail starts there, goes easy for the first half mile and then goes up at a steep grade for four miles with few switchbacks. There's a waterless camp at the top of the hill.

A bit further in is a hot spring. Its more of a seep with a low stone wall. Its a popular hangout.

On your way out you can spend the night at Big Sur SP. They have a hike/bike camp that was $5/night per person. There's several good day hikes in the SP.

There's another state park just a few miles north where you can also find the hike/bike camp deal.