PDA

View Full Version : Kickoff day/party

Heater
06-04-2005, 23:08
Does the AT have an annual "kickoff day" or "kickoff party" like the PCT?

I was thinking about starting on March 15th. I think that is when the bulk of thru-hikers start.

MedicineMan
06-04-2005, 23:22
Excellent Idea!
Can you picture the WhiteBlaze banner flying high over a welcome station, a big party tent with several grills going, a pony keg (or two), a tattoo artist putting white blazes here and there,etc. at Amicalola........How about April 28-30 for the WB Spring Moot to be held at
Amicalola Falls State Park!

MedicineMan
06-04-2005, 23:29
Excellent Idea!
Can you picture the WhiteBlaze banner flying high over a welcome station, a big party tent with several grills going, a pony keg (or two), a tattoo artist putting white blazes here and there,etc. at Amicalola........How about April 28-30 for the WB Spring Moot to be held at
Amicalola Falls State Park!

Nean
06-05-2005, 23:31
My 1st thought was Party, party! But I wonder about the impact of that many starting basicly- together? I like the idea of a moot though as I enjoy smaller get togethers.:)

MedicineMan
06-06-2005, 00:02
might be something Attrol and Rock will def. want to coordinate, Attrol for sure because of his northern Moot when the Thru's are finishing--would def. be cool for him to see them before and after!

Bolivershagnasty
06-06-2005, 00:30
What is going on for the Halloween moot this year? Have we gotten anyfurther on it. But yes I absolutly think a "Spring moot" is in order!! Maybe up the trail around Standing Indian as to provide some trail magic around the 100 mile mark. After the "wanna bee's" have bailed. Can Drive goodies all the way up to deep gap within a short mile to the standing indian shelter. Maybe truck up a small water tank on the back of my truck for setting up a shower and a clean "fluffy" towel!! Haul some grills up for some real meat. The deep gap has a nice little dirt road culdesac big enough, put one of those event rental tents up in case of weather. Give em a bath and a good meal and send them up Standing Indian. Some of us not coming or going on can hike the loop which is about 2 days, 25 mi. without worring about shuttles. We can set up a "Mootcamp" right there at Deep Gap or base out of Standing Indian camp. Not trumping your idea place MedicinMan I just dont know where Amicaloa is off hand. Just throwing ideas. But hey we have to meet somewhere in the spring one way or the other.

MedicineMan
06-06-2005, 00:40
I think the Spring Moot will be up for voting first of 2006 as to where...your ideas sound good to me......but if i were voting i would still lean toward Amicalola for sentimental reasons, but hey i'm easily swayed.

The Halloween moot is this in the voting stage as to the weekend, though the weekend of halloween is def. looking like the winner so far...i think we agreed to leave it in the voting stage for a month....so when July 1 comes around we can put up place names for the moot and then vote again.

remember, on the machine Whiteblaze i'm just a small drop of oil on a very little cog :)

Bolivershagnasty
06-06-2005, 00:44
Where is Amicalola at?..

MedicineMan
06-06-2005, 00:56
http://ngeorgia.com/parks/amicalola.html
Basically at the bottom of Springer Mtn.
Home of the access trail to the AT.

Be a good place to sell the new trail/wicking WB shirt too.....so Thru's could get their WB or AT tattoo and a WB t-shirt before starting.

Anyone here at WB a tattoo artist?

Heater
06-06-2005, 01:06
Where is Amicalola at?..
Amicalola Falls State Park. There is a lodge there that a lot of thru-hikers stay before setting off on their journey. It is a few miles South of springer mountain. The distance from the lodge to the southern terminus at Springer mountain is generally referred to as the approach trail to the AT.

Bolivershagnasty
06-06-2005, 01:16
I looked it up, In GA..thats close enough for me..I'm just thinking of being able to meet plus do some trail majic fun with it for the ones that made it out of the "bail out" stage, needing some TLC. (that first week to two,, where did my legs go,, point) About the time it starts to get serious with equiptment failurs and changes and rethinks. Maybe some of the more experianced WhiteBlazers not thru hiking can give some "get rid of this and that" advice. Plus the thru hikers not needing anything can just take that first "take it easy" breath with a beer a shower and a real meat and veggie meal,, not ever leaving the trail.

I think I'm going to do something like this whether or not we have a moot there..Doe's anyone else think this would be a good place and point to set up a relief center?