PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone dislike trekking poles?

degritz
01-21-2013, 00:15
I have read multiple articles on the advantages of trekking poles, but have been unable to find any counterarguments. Having never used trekking poles, I would like to hear both sides before I start my SoBo in May.

Dr. Professor
01-21-2013, 00:38
Here are the arguments you will hear:

Group 1: Hiking poles rock, they save my knees, they allow me to hike faster, they allow me to hike farther, they help to prevent or at least mitigate falls, they allow me to use my upper body, etc....

Group 2: I've never used them, but I'm very macho and don't need them. I can hike 60 miles a day, and my knees are legend.

RodentWhisperer
01-21-2013, 01:00
I didn't use poles for years; all I did was grab a downed branch, do a little whittling, and bingo-- a staff. It was nice, really. These days, though, I find poles useful.

Blue Mountain Edward
01-21-2013, 01:09
Hiking poles are 2 more things to carry. Most of them are to flimsy to beat a homeless person with.

SCRUB HIKER
01-21-2013, 04:18
Group 2: I've never used them, but I'm very macho and don't need them. I can hike 60 miles a day, and my knees are legend.

Not my rationale at all. I HAVE used poles before, used them correctly even, and I didn't like them at all. Reasons:

1) I like hiking to feel as much like walking as possible. This includes getting the weight of my pack as low as possible so that I don't notice a massive presence on my back bending me over and turning my walk into a slog. It also means that I don't want the extra action with my arms that poles require. There is just too much going on when I have poles, and even when I've used them properly, the walking motion never felt free and natural to me. This is my overriding reason ... it's just a feel thing.
2) Some people get thousands of miles out of a single set of poles, but I got about 5 days out of a pole that I bought in high school before the telescoping mechanism failed. I slipped a little, it banged on a rock and it was done. Dead weight for the rest of an 11-day outing. I thought that was remarkably flimsy for such an expensive product. But I stress that everyone's experience varies on this--I probably just had bad luck.
3) On some parts of the AT, I think they're very inconvenient. A lot of the descents in New Hampshire and Maine are so steep and slippery that you need both hands free for balance, hand-holds, clinging desperately to trees, etc. My hiking partner at the time in NH spent two days throwing his poles ahead of him down every steep section, after which he gave up, lashed the poles to his pack and didn't use them once for the next week until we were through the Mahoosucs in southern Maine.

There were two times on the AT when I wished I had a trekking pole but didn't--once I got charged by a very unfriendly dog and felt like I didn't have much to protect myself, and the other was crossing a swollen stream in Maine during Hurricane Irene and for some reason I couldn't find a wading stick anywhere in the woods nearby. At all the other fords, I could always find a branch or something, but not that day ... it didn't help that I was in a hurry and mostly concentrated on GTFO of the woods. But other than those two cases, I got rid of the one pole that I started with after 400 miles, and never missed its presence.

To the OP, I would say that if you've hiked your whole life without them, there's nothing special about a thru-hike that should cause you to go out and spend money, in some cases a ****load of money, on a pair of poles. Hundreds of thru-hikes, including 13 of them by Scott Williamson on the PCT, have been done without poles. For some people, they're essential, but for you ... who knows? I guess if you want some by the time you're done with Maine, go to the Wal-Mart in Gorham and get a cheapo pair. Good luck on your hike.

Franco
01-21-2013, 04:40
You really need to try them for yourself and make sure that you do know how to use them correctly.Pretty much like using a hammock.
Most hammock users are under the illusion that everybody sleeps more comfortably in one, well I don't..
(I don't use a hammock correctly because I toss and turn all night and like to get up once or twice to have a pee and look around)
So I like using the poles but as I have often stated most people I see using them just carry dead weight...
(read that as :don't know how to use them...)

rocketsocks
01-21-2013, 04:41
I've tried to like hiking poles, used em a few times, and will use em again, but I always grab me old trusty staff....wait, that didn't sound right.
but then on the other hand, there are times when my staff is just a pain in the arse....wait, that didn't sound good either

never mind!

leaftye
01-21-2013, 05:14
I dislike trekking poles when I'm carrying them, but don't feel like using them. I hate it when I want them, but left them at home. Having very light trekking poles like those from Gossamer Gear helps reduce the penalty when they end up in my pack.

fiddlehead
01-21-2013, 05:27
They are good for setting up my sil-shelter.
And fording rivers.
Besides that, they are a nuisance to me. Slow me down, pain to hitch hike with.
I prefer to hike with someone who uses them and then I can borrow one at night to set up my tent. (just kidding)

JAK
01-21-2013, 07:41
Where I hike they get in the way of going around trees and grabbing the odd tree. If where I hiked was treeless, maybe. I sometimes use a single hiking stick, 6 feet long. Useful for balance sometimes, and gives me something to lean on when waiting for my daughter, and I think of it as an extra bear deterrent when hiking with my daughter. Something I could respond with. Also easy to make a new one if I get tired of carrying it and leave it someplace. I cross-country ski with 2 poles, so I am not opposed to poles. Great for older folks, but people should lose weight as their first option.

RCBear
01-21-2013, 08:09
Once you know how to use them properly and they become in complete sync with your gait, whether normal or rough terrain, I cannot imagine any arguments against them other than simple preference. In my opinion, once I learned to use them properly, there is no reason to not carry. They are light enough that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. And of course they have multiple uses. I have used them to fend off dogs as well on two occasions.

RCBear
01-21-2013, 08:15
Hiking poles are 2 more things to carry. Most of them are to flimsy to beat a homeless person with.

I have found them sturdy enough to beat a man in a suit. What do you recommend I use against the homeless if my poles won't work? I have actually used them to fend off dogs, but that goes against my point really. And given some of the acts against the homeless that we have read about in recent years, the humor in that comment is a bit lost on me.

Terry7
01-21-2013, 08:39
I would not hike without 2 poles. They have saved my life 3 times in 6 years and 5000 A.T. miles. But hey like the saying goes " hike your own hike"

Capt Nat
01-21-2013, 09:43
I didn't like them for years, trying occasionally. Then I watched a video on Nordic Walking and understood how to properly use them. It took me about a week for the rhythm to become natural. Now I love them. If the terrain/situation isn't conducive, I put them away, but will go back to them as soon as I can...

MuddyWaters
01-21-2013, 10:10
You can hike FASTER and SAFER with poles, especially on rocky terrain.
When not needed, collapse and put in pack. No big deal
In addition, you can clear poision ivy away from legs while walking
You can fend off a rattlesnake you get too close too before noticing.
In all likelyhood, if you dont use them to support tent, you are carrying 12oz of tent poles anyway.

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2013, 10:27
I have read multiple articles on the advantages of trekking poles, but have been unable to find any counterarguments. Having never used trekking poles, I would like to hear both sides before I start my SoBo in May.I've been using hiking poles since 2006 and LW calls me a weenie. And he may be right.

Since I've been using a staircase machine to keep my hiking legs somewhat up, obviously I can't use my poles, but the machine has handrails. I've noticed that it is really difficult for me to keep my hands off the handrails; it's not as if I'm using the handrails to support a significant % of my body weight, rather I feel the need to use them just to maintain balance. And if you think about it, that's how the vast majority of us use our hiking poles, to help maintain balance, but also to take pressure off the knees during downhill portions.

So basically I'm not using my core muscles as much, relying primarily on the poles, so maybe we are all a bunch of weenies in that way. I plan not to take my poles out ever again and when I'm on the staircase I don't use the handrails and I do extra work on my quads to handle the downhills.

So that could be a counter-arguement for poles -- They turn you into a weenie :)

soulrebel
01-21-2013, 11:18
I don't like them. First of all they look goofy as hell and make a lot of racket on the trail. Beyond that, my hands sweat, they get in the way, I use my hands to eat, smoke, drink, rip leaves off trees and look at them while walking, picking up and removing blowdowns that hikers with poles step over, and holding my umbrella cuz hiking uphill in a raincoat sucks. People seem to forget them at places and then will also freak out if anything happens to their poles like they're made of precious stone. In the 40 miles from Springer to Neel Gap, I picked up 10 pieces of pole litter, aka baskets, tips, straps, grips, a solitary pole. They're a f'n mess when trying to load a vehicle up with hikers and bags, then you got all these spears pokin in your face. And finally, they are outrageously priced approx $130, although I saw a big box store selling Carbon fiber collapsibles for $30.

I will say they are handy if the terrain warrants it, you're trying to move faster, you've got f'd up knees, etc, but those adaptations can be had by training more and losing weight. Whatever floats your boat. Keep using them, it alerts me that someone is coming along and to cleanup all the sex, drugs, and rocknroll.

MDSection12
01-21-2013, 11:29
I want to like poles, because of the options for pitching my hammock tarp that they would provide, but so far I can't. One of my main hiking buddies uses a pair so on each trip I'll get curious and say 'let me have those for an hour or two...' Usually he doesn't mind a break from carrying them anyway, so he agrees. I just always end up handing them back after fifteen minutes. I just find they require too much effort both physically and mentally, to keep the 'rhythm' of walking with them. I'm sure I'd get used to it after a while, but as of now my stance is 'if it ain't broke...'

I also really enjoy finding walking sticks and doing a little whittling to make them comfortable... Then ditching them later when I get sick of carrying it. To me that's just a fun little part of hiking. :)

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 11:57
tried them a couple of times and really dislike them. Just do not get the point of using them

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2013, 12:05

awe come on you poke them! If they move you give them a Snickers!http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Fun%20Post/pokewstick_zpsf4e5580f.gif

Stir Fry
01-21-2013, 12:09
Mine are home made from X-stiff golf shafts. I a pinch I do beleave they would make one H$%% of a weapon.

Stir Fry
01-21-2013, 12:18
My grips come off so thats where I store sewing kit, and an extra set of Whoopee slings for Hammock, Extra line. Also store duck tape on the outside of the pole. I also use then as a Bi-pole for my camea, and as poles when I put tarp in porch mode. When I get tired of carring them I just put them on my pack. I have not been able to find a down side to them. Did lose a couple sets but that was allme.

Bucho
01-21-2013, 13:40
I have read multiple articles on the advantages of trekking poles, but have been unable to find any counterarguments. Having never used trekking poles, I would like to hear both sides before I start my SoBo in May. They're inconvenient for scrambling and get in my way when I try to hike down hill.

RCBear
01-21-2013, 17:39
I've done the Rachel Carson AT dayhike challenge twice. 36 miles, over 9k ft of elev change. Once with and once without the poles. i consider myself to be in top shape with a very strong core. Would never again do that challenge without them. It is that significant of a difference. It takes a bit to get used to them and make them part of your normal gait. Never met someone that didn't feel after that the invested time was a waste. Again, the arguments against are almost ALWAYS do to preference but i would argue that the vast majority of those are because they gave them up after a couple of tries. if you are over 40 and enjoy high mileage, research shows that in terms of the wear on your body, poles relieve about 30% of the stress.

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 19:26
Where is the research you refer to?

I've done the Rachel Carson AT dayhike challenge twice. 36 miles, over 9k ft of elev change. Once with and once without the poles. i consider myself to be in top shape with a very strong core. Would never again do that challenge without them. It is that significant of a difference. It takes a bit to get used to them and make them part of your normal gait. Never met someone that didn't feel after that the invested time was a waste. Again, the arguments against are almost ALWAYS do to preference but i would argue that the vast majority of those are because they gave them up after a couple of tries. if you are over 40 and enjoy high mileage, research shows that in terms of the wear on your body, poles relieve about 30% of the stress.

RedBeerd
01-21-2013, 19:57
I don't really like them all that much but being a young guy I use them to save my knees. I always hear you old folks, okay nobody specific on here, complaining about bad joints because of being too hard on the body at a younger age...
They do help on the downhills when you've got jello legs. Also when I bring my iPod I love collapsing them and using them as air drums or an air guitar. Makes the miles fly by.
I had two bent poles on my LT hike and hitched into town but I couldn't collapse my poles and they like wouldnt fit in this guys little car packed with stuff..very embarrassing

brian039
01-21-2013, 19:58
I use them and swear by them. But to play devil's advocate I'll give you one con. It may just be me, but every once in a while when I'm hiking down hill a pole will accidentally slip out of my hand and stick in the ground with the handles at testicle level. Then, because I'm hiking downhill, I can't stop in time and I rack myself.

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 20:48
i use them and swear by them. But to play devil's advocate i'll give you one con. It may just be me, but every once in a while when i'm hiking down hill a pole will accidentally slip out of my hand and stick in the ground with the handles at testicle level. Then, because i'm hiking downhill, i can't stop in time and i rack myself.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

tds1195
01-21-2013, 21:14
Borrow some from a friend or rent them and see how you like them. I've never used them but have heard enough arguments FOR them that I've decided to try a pair out. I'll be using my friend's for a short 30 mile trek this weekend...I'll have better input after then :)

Papa D
01-21-2013, 21:34
I prefer to climb and descend steep rocky slopes without them and sometimes I give my arms a break and fold the z-poles up when on more moderate terrain - - sometimes it's just fun to cruise sans poles but I do use them - probably about 70% of the time.

RCBear
01-21-2013, 21:48
That's so funny stuff right there Brian, as long as its you and not me though! Chaco, there was an article a few years ago in backpacker that spoke about it and used a long term European study as well as lab testing to measure stress results. May not be definitive but it seemed to corroborate my personal experience with them

ChinMusic
01-21-2013, 21:53
I like Trekking Poles. It's the Austrians that bug me.............

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 21:58
I've done the Rachel Carson AT dayhike challenge twice. 36 miles, over 9k ft of elev change. Once with and once without the poles. i consider myself to be in top shape with a very strong core. Would never again do that challenge without them. It is that significant of a difference. It takes a bit to get used to them and make them part of your normal gait. Never met someone that didn't feel after that the invested time was a waste. Again, the arguments against are almost ALWAYS do to preference but i would argue that the vast majority of those are because they gave them up after a couple of tries. if you are over 40 and enjoy high mileage, research shows that in terms of the wear on your body, poles relieve about 30% of the stress.divorce relieves the other 70%.
i used poles for the first time last year, and ive learned that they can be very useful for all the reasons already outlined, and these knees arent getting younger. but ive also learned to put them away for sections where i start thinking too much about where to put the poles.
i still prefer to hike without poles, but they are definitely a help on the downhills in particular and certainly with stream crossings.
im still learning when to use them and when to put them away.

RockDoc
01-21-2013, 22:12
I started hiking in the 60's and 70's when it was common to carry a hiking staff--a stout natural stick. It had a lot of uses including defense, a prop for your huge frame pack (back in the day), and fording streams. Most hikers got quite attached to their staffs. I still have quite a few of mine, made from Montanan beaver-chewed sticks, bamboo, and a Nepalese wood that I carved while on the Everest trek. Prior to the '80's we didn't see the need for two hiking sticks, although after I saw dozens of French trekkers all using them in Nepal in 1983 I watched them gradually seep into American outdoor products marketing and hiking.

Most recently I obtained a beautiful twisted stick at Wood's Hole Hostel in Virginia, provided free by an uncle of the owners as I recall. I had been using ONE synthetic trekking pole, needed to set up my Gatewood Cape, but at that point I fell in love with the natural staff and put the collapsed pole in my pack to use only as a tent pole. Both my friend and I had lovely twisted wood staffs, and we ornamented them with colorful string and cloth and these got a lot of friendly remarks from other hikers.

I don't like the modern synthetic alloy poles for a lot of reasons, one of the main ones being that as a geologist I'm constantly looking at the ground and the rocks for scientific information. However the information is no longer meaningful after thousands of tungsten carbide pole tips have been rammed and scratched and gouged into the rocks and the soil. They deface the natural environment much worse than a wood staff ever did. And I don't like the click, click, click sounds at all... Please put a rubber tip on there and be quiet!! Dammit.

SCRUB HIKER
01-21-2013, 23:33
The noise of poles is something I didn't think of in my earlier list of anti-pole arguments. My ideal of hiking is light, free and easy, but I should add quiet to that also. If they don't have rubber tips, poles make quite a lot of noise by hiking standards. Of course all walking makes noise, but you really can hear hikers from 100 yards away if they have poles with metal tips--and that's just with our weak human ears.

Also, people have mentioned how inconvenient they are when you're not using them. I agree. When I was using a pole at the beginning of the AT, I was constantly almost leaving it behind places and almost impaling people in the face with it in town, while hitching and stuff like that. My proprioception extended only to my hand, not to the 3-foot-long spear attached to it, and so a lot of times it went flying around without me really realizing it.

These are all small consolations to make if poles really help you walk and stay healthy--I don't deny that they do for a lot of people. But for me all the extra movement/sound they're responsible for isn't worth it.

Spirit Bear
01-22-2013, 00:02
Real hikers use them, day hikers will make fun of them. Once you learn how to use them they become your best friends on the trail. They help you get up hills faster with less effort, if you know how to use them, they help take the weight off your legs downhills if you know how to use them. They are used as a great monopod for photos in low light scenes. They are used as tent poles for many, for me, I use them with my tarp.

The only people I have seen make fun of poles are day hikers or people who have little experience hiking long distance with weight on their back.

Spirit Bear
01-22-2013, 00:04
Personally I use mine to joust fellow hikers in trail joust and to fellow bears as well.

msupple
01-22-2013, 00:15
For what it's worth...the vast majority of people I ran into on the AT used hiking poles. Draw your own conclusions. Given a choice, I wouldn't hike without them.

Cat in the Hat

shelb
01-22-2013, 00:18
They rock! When not in use, I love to poke the hiker in front of me!

SCRUB HIKER
01-22-2013, 00:25
Real hikers use them, day hikers will make fun of them ...
The only people I have seen make fun of poles are day hikers or people who have little experience hiking long distance with weight on their back.

I think you're equating "not using" with "making fun of." I tend not to make fun of trekking poles or pole users, but Lone Wolf sure as hell does, and he's got more miles than all of us put together.

For what it's worth...the vast majority of people I ran into on the AT used hiking poles. Draw your own conclusions.
Cat in the Hat

True story. I would guess that, on the AT, it's at least 90% pole-users. A lot of times, especially up north, other people made it a topic of conversation with me--"You don't see too many of yous without poles make it this far," "You walked all the way here without sticks!", "I didn't think you were a hiker at first because I didn't see any of them poles." Stuff like that.

rockyiss
01-22-2013, 00:30
I have an old ski pole that I have used for years . It is good when I get into thick stuff or ferns to use to check for snakes. Alot of times you will see me just holding it in my left hand. Don't like two cause for me they are a pain in the butt . That old ski pole has gone alot of places with me, I do like to have it to cross the river , makes it easier.
My hiking partner has two and likes her way so I guess you just have to figure out what works for you. As for using them against a bear , I guess you could just hit your self in the head senseless with them ,so you don't relize how really bad it is going to hurt if that old bear wants to mess with you. ! lol

Another Kevin
01-22-2013, 07:52
I swear by them, others swear at or about them. When I was out yesterday, the trails were like skating rinks, so poles and microspikes were uniform of the day. But a lot of places don't get that much ice.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2013, 07:53
I have read multiple articles on the advantages of trekking poles, but have been unable to find any counterarguments. Having never used trekking poles, I would like to hear both sides before I start my SoBo in May.

i've tried them. i do not like them. i will never own them

Lone Wolf
01-22-2013, 07:58

i have a little experience hiking long distance and i make fun of them

RCBear
01-22-2013, 08:33
I see people using just one and obviously it must work for them, but the true benefits are in using both if you take some time with the usual curve that comes with new things. Obviously, those that use them hiked without them at some point, so I would assume they have a pretty good base of reference and would not continue to use them if they did not think they were more beneficial then hiking without. Some have tried them and don't like them, I guess its mostly those not giving it the proper time but I'm sure in some cases it just wasn't the right feel, which is understandable. But the fact is that when used properly they take a fair amount of stress off a body, especially over long distances and uneven terrain. To argue the opposite simply means that somebody wants to be obstinate about it. And the 1 about your ankles becoming dependent on them is hogwash.

moytoy
01-22-2013, 08:33
I didn't use them either when I was young. I do now.

gizzy bear
01-22-2013, 11:11

you go to time out mister meanie!!! :P

Spirit Bear
01-22-2013, 11:15

Ouch. Much respect for you Lone Wolf, I feel like an idiot now.

nitewalker
01-22-2013, 11:16
i dislike not having treking poles. treking poles rock!!!

nitewalker
01-22-2013, 11:17

have you ever gone skiing?

ChinMusic
01-22-2013, 11:36
I like Trekking Poles. It's the Austrians that bug me.............

So disappointed.........

HikerMom58
01-22-2013, 12:08
Ouch. Much respect for you Lone Wolf, I feel like an idiot now.

Why do u feel like an idiot Spirit Bear?... there's no need. Here's the deal...Lone Wolf has hiked the trail multiple times. Just because he has done that doesn't make him an expert on hiking the AT. Does he have a lot of knowledge on hiking the AT?- He sure does. Do I admire/respect him for hiking the trail?- I sure do. His way of hiking the trail (HYOH) is "unconventional" is a lot of ways. Plus, if you "listen" to him long enough, you will understand that he does not want to be known as a "conventional" hiker. He wants to be distinguished. He has developed some :cool: names for others that don't do it his way. Lone Wolf lives just "down the road" from me & I hope to meet him in person one day. He is helpful to other hikers, in many ways, I've heard. ;)
His comments annoy me sometimes but if he didn't comment, on this site, anymore .... I would miss him terribly. And, he will say to me .... Ohhh Plah-ese. ;P
Gizzy- ur comment to LW made me laugh... what are we going to do with him? Bad, bad boy!! :p

I love hiking poles!!!!!!!!!! I hated them, at first, now I need them. I'm sure my core would be much stronger if I didn't cyber hike as much! Plus, I'm old as dirt.... blah!

colorado_rob
01-22-2013, 12:22
I think you're equating "not using" with "making fun of." I tend not to make fun of trekking poles or pole users, but Lone Wolf sure as hell does, and he's got more miles than all of us put together. I sincerely doubt that (the miles thing) but LW certainly does have more POSTS than the rest of us combined. Yikes!

Anyway, my opinion on the OP is sure, lots of folks dislike them, lots of folks like them, quite obviously. I like them some of the time, certainly not always, that's why I only carry one and it is very lightweight (5 oz, the BD Z-poles) so I fold it up and put it away and pull it out when I need or want it (stream crossings, big uphills, big downhills, using it for a make-shift camera tripod, etc).

But I sure can't understand why anyone would make fun of others' hiking styles, yet this occurs again and again. Why? The answer seems obvious.

bfayer
01-22-2013, 13:08
I like my hiking poles, I don't face plant nearly as often and they keep my hands from swelling. Win win.

Fredt4
01-22-2013, 13:48
I'm not going to repeat all the excellent reasons to use them but I agree with all of the reasons. I also agree / believe that most if not all whom dislike trekking poles probably never learned to use them. I understand and accept personal preference and will not say everyone has to use them. However I will say that given the modest investment of a very good pair compared to other costs of a lifetime of hiking or even a relatively long thru hike it would be foolish to not try them. Agree that most AT thru hikers use them, therefore I would suggest that is a overwhelming vote in favor by experienced hiker. Sometimes such a vote is worth noting. Certainly one doesn't have to be just like everyone else, but sometimes there a good reason experienced hikers use them. My recommendation is to try the best pair you can get and return them if it doesn't work out for you. Even if you can't return them it a modest price compared to all other expenses.

If they prove helpful you'll be very happy you invested in a good pair. Plus they'll pay a return in many ways many times over.

Fred

Feral Bill
01-22-2013, 14:56
I don't like the constant clickity clack, but do like the extra balance. So I split the difference and use one. It leaves a hand free for snacking, and such as well.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-22-2013, 16:52

To the OP.....Most people who try them do not like them at first......... I know I hated mine when I first started using them as I had to think about what I was doing & couldn't just wander along on autopilot........ But if you persist for a while they become a natural part of your technique. Most people who get over this initial stage seem to think poles are worthwhile. Sure there are times when they do not really help ( steep scrambling,off-trail walking etc.) but most of the time they are beneficial.

Are they necessary.......of course not. But as you can see from the comments in this thread, there is a very large number of people who say they are big advantage. I would certainly take this as a good indication that they are worth trying

Consider this too......... Completing a thru-hike depends somewhat on luck...... It only takes one fall & a knee or ankle injury to end your hike. Using poles is one more thing you can do to improve your chances of success.

jeffmeh
01-22-2013, 19:27
Of course, I have posted this before when the question has come up. After many years of football and rugby, and then some age on top of that, my knees are such that I would not be able to hike demanding terrain without the poles. With them, I can take what comes. The amount of wear and tear they reduce on ankles, knees, and back is significant. For context, I do most of my hiking in the White Mountains.

Some folks don't need them, and others prefer not to use them, and that's fine. I did not need them when I was younger, but if I had to do it over again I would have started with them before I needed them.

Bill Strebler
01-23-2013, 00:11
I had the advantage of knowing poles would be a good thing for me before trying them. I was on the verge of collapse on a mountain once, high temperatures and no water, and I just happened to find two nice walking sticks. The difference was instant and amazing. Since then I developed chronic knee and back pain, with the spinal stenosis clearly visible in X-rays, and yet after taking up hiking with poles the back pain was gone- not relieved, but gone- after my first hike, and I had commented I felt about 30% lighter while using the poles. I was concerned I might need surgery on one knee and that I wouldn't make the AT this year, but after extensive pole use my knee seems to be 100%. I can't promise everyone the same results, but the benefits to most seem obvious to me.

As far as learning how to properly use them, that info seems hard to come by, and I would recommend watching several videos on YouTube. And if something just doesn't work for you, try something else. I step quickly with long strides, so I use half as many arm swings as some recommend. But be sure and put your hands up through the bottoms of the loops to where you hardly have to grip the pole, conserving energy, preventing sweaty palms and hand cramps, and definitely be sure and do the other thing I was going to say that completely slipped my mind.

I have seen that you are supposed to lengthen your pole for going down hill, but I have the cheap twist type poles that are hard to adjust accurately and quickly, and I'm happy with my poles set at a happy medium.

I agree with the noise issue. What would be the point of having the rubber tips off on rock anyway? You'll tear up the rocks, your poles, scare off anything with four legs for a half mile, and annoy everyone up and down trail.

As far as usefulness as a weapon, think switch, not bat.

zorobabel
01-23-2013, 01:31
Trekking poles have many uses, and I carry/use them most of the time, but ... I hate them! The reason? - they take the use of my hands from me. I need my hands for taking photos, fighting bugs, blowing my nose and many other things. And every time I have to use the hands I have to park the poles... and they often make their way to the ground... God, do I hate them!

Not Sunshine
01-23-2013, 01:56
My hands seem to swell while I'm hiking long distances - and when I walk holding onto my trekking poles - that swelling doesn't exist. Besides the other benefits (I have a repaired ACL in my knee, I like that extra push going uphill, and they hold up my tent), they keep my hands and forearms happy. Even without a backpack on, my hands still swell. My poles stay in my car's trunk year round.

degritz
01-23-2013, 09:59
Your hands are swelling because of circulation issues. If you do isometric exercises while you walk, you will eliminate that problem

bfayer
01-23-2013, 10:08
Your hands are swelling because of circulation issues. If you do isometric exercises while you walk, you will eliminate that problem

So will using hiking poles, which also have all the other benefits listed earlier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtnkngxt
01-25-2013, 08:12
I love my fixed length gossamer gear poles.

HYOH, I don't care how others choose to hike or what they choose to carry. Enjoy yourself, show other hikers some basic courtesy and kindness and for heaven's sake, bury your poop.

leaftye
01-25-2013, 08:53
Has the biggest disadvantage of trekking poles been mentioned?

They get left behind. Worse yet, there seems to be a directly proportional relationship between cost and likelihood of leaving them behind. That is, the more they cost, the more likely they'll be left behind in the trunk of a hitch or leaning against a tree 20 miles behind you.

Maddog
01-25-2013, 09:11
At first I hated them...now I wouldn't hike without them! Maddog:D

staehpj1
01-25-2013, 10:48
I was thinking about this on my morning trail run and it occurred to me why I don't care for them. I think it is just that I really prefer to hike with minimal gear, so for me the fewer items the better. This is not only a weight thing, I just like to have a minimum number of possessions with me for what I am doing.

BradMT
02-01-2013, 09:49
Here are the arguments you will hear:

Group 1: Hiking poles rock, they save my knees, they allow me to hike faster, they allow me to hike farther, they help to prevent or at least mitigate falls, they allow me to use my upper body, etc....

Wrong.

Group 3: Those that have used them, dislike them because they're noisy and unnecessarily tie-up both hands (which can be a very bad thing) but prefer a cane... think of a cane as an ice-axe for the backpacker. Keeps center of gravity low for more sure traction, while keeping your other hand free. Honestly I think a cane is FAR superior to poles. Since the mid 1970's I've always used something, from staffs, poles, to canes. The cane rules.

Ranger29
02-01-2013, 15:22
Never liked them, find the noise bothersome, particularly with groups. Especially disturbed at the damage done to rocks, seen sections of trail that look like they've been gone over with a chain flail. That said, I picked one up last year, as I usually hike alone, and I'm not getting younger. I consider it prudent to have along, and wouldn't be without one now. I carry it in hand most of the time, and deploy when necessary (usually downhills, and stream crossings). Even with the carbide tip exposed, you can balance along rock without leaving marks, you just use a bit of finesse in placement.

People make fun of me anyway, poles or not, so that's not an issue....

staehpj1
02-01-2013, 16:09
Wrong.

Group 3: Those that have used them, dislike them because they're noisy and unnecessarily tie-up both hands (which can be a very bad thing) but prefer a cane... think of a cane as an ice-axe for the backpacker. Keeps center of gravity low for more sure traction, while keeping your other hand free. Honestly I think a cane is FAR superior to poles. Since the mid 1970's I've always used something, from staffs, poles, to canes. The cane rules.
Or...
Group 4: Those who backpack in part because of it's simplicity and therefore are looking for ways to have less stuff rather than more.

BradMT
02-01-2013, 19:30
Or...
Group 4: Those who backpack in part because of it's simplicity and therefore are looking for ways to have less stuff rather than more.

What could be simpler than a cane?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1000234.jpg

staehpj1
02-01-2013, 20:01
What could be simpler than a cane?

A cane is pretty simple, but the lack of one is simpler yet :) I do kind of like the idea of a cane and, if I were to carry something, I think a cane would be more likely than trekking poles for me.

Franco
02-01-2013, 20:05
nothing wrong with a cane if you don't use public transport (particularly planes) or use poles to prop up your shelter.It would not work for me also because I don't use sticks just for balance but also for propulsion so I prefer two, besides it's easy for me to temporarily have the pole hanging via the strap on my arm when I need to use my hand/hands.

hauptman
02-02-2013, 01:46
I found that when my pack dropped below 10 lbs I stopped enjoying them. I also do not like waist belts for the same reason. I feel free of them and more focused on my surroundings.

bfayer
02-02-2013, 11:22
I found that when my pack dropped below 10 lbs I stopped enjoying them. I also do not like waist belts for the same reason. I feel free of them and more focused on my surroundings.

10 pounds? Do you day hike or just not eat?

hauptman
02-02-2013, 12:19
Shelter-two person heat sheets emergency blanket as tarp ---3oz something

groundcloth-another emergency blanket 2.5oz

insulation-nunatak top bag 40 or 20 degree --- 11oz or 17-18oz

pad-gossamer gear egg-crate trimmed to 48" ---? exact off top head

pack-h.m. cuben fiber 1000 cubic" --2oz

---build fire in front of tarp
-magnesium starter/cotton balls--1oz

first aid/foot care/etc... --- 2-3oz

1 liter water bladder 1oz

water--couple pounds plus

food for a 2-3 days ---3 - 4.5 lbs

bear line(use pack as bag)--1oz

other small odds and ends not coming to mind etc...

Clothing extra---drop stop top-5oz/fleece shirt-7oz/socks-1.5oz/etc small optional stuff---total---12oz-16oz

total---7-10lbs depending on which of 2 bags/extra food/a little booze/etc...

hauptman
02-02-2013, 12:20
I have slowly found that the more expensive gear is getting fazed out.

aficion
02-02-2013, 12:53
Being old and hard headed, I have eschewed poles ever since they became fashionable, my thinking being that at my age it makes more sense to carry fewer, not more, things into the woods. That said, I found myself at Walmart, at 5am Friday before last, buying a $20.00 pair of poles, a six dollar "self inflating" butt pad, and a humongous $5.00 "New York Submarine Sandwich". I'm not sure which of the three I ended up enjoying most. My plan for the day was to hike 12 miles through 6 inches of new fallen snow, in a circuit to include 6 miles of AT over two 4,000ft peaks and back down to my car at Long Mountain wayside. I carried a 25 lb pack with everything i would need in case an accident required me to overnight. I wanted to be back by 5 to take my daughter to her job at McDonalds and I hoped the poles would speed things up, keep me from falling, and be useful in knocking snow off of branches covering the trail. At first the poles were a complete annoyance, but I came to like them, kinda like my sisters kids.
As the trail steepened and the snow deepened, I fell into a rhythm of bearing some weight with each step on the poles. It helped my knees a lot and made stream crossings way faster and steadier. Downhills through deep drifts where you could not tell the contour of the trail they saved my butt, (as did the butt pad when I took my one short break of the day to eat my giant sub). They made good glove holders when I topped off my water bag. For those conditions, which were unbelievably beautiful and serene, and at the same time very challenging and tiring, the poles were a godsend. I will reserve judgement for hiking in more normal conditions until I've actually tried it. I will recommend the cheap Walmart poles for those just trying them out for the first time. They are sturdy. Instead of having just sore feet and legs you get sore arms and shoulders too!

bfayer
02-03-2013, 11:53
Shelter-two person heat sheets emergency blanket as tarp ---3oz something

groundcloth-another emergency blanket 2.5oz

insulation-nunatak top bag 40 or 20 degree --- 11oz or 17-18oz

pad-gossamer gear egg-crate trimmed to 48" ---? exact off top head

pack-h.m. cuben fiber 1000 cubic" --2oz

---build fire in front of tarp
-magnesium starter/cotton balls--1oz

first aid/foot care/etc... --- 2-3oz

1 liter water bladder 1oz

water--couple pounds plus

food for a 2-3 days ---3 - 4.5 lbs

bear line(use pack as bag)--1oz

other small odds and ends not coming to mind etc...

Clothing extra---drop stop top-5oz/fleece shirt-7oz/socks-1.5oz/etc small optional stuff---total---12oz-16oz

total---7-10lbs depending on which of 2 bags/extra food/a little booze/etc...

You must hike in really nice weather or stay in shelters a lot.

Franco
02-03-2013, 18:36
If 99% of hikers stated that poles don't work for them, I would still be using mine simply because I know they work for ME.Kind of peculiar that some try to tell me and people like me otherwise.
Maybe they are forgetting that we all walked at some point without (and still do at least when not backpacking)
But of course nothing works well for everybody.
(there is a challenge. Find a single product that does)

bfayer
02-03-2013, 19:17
(there is a challenge. Find a single product that does)

Water :)

Sorry had to say it.

Franco
02-03-2013, 20:51
Product in the primary sense of the word :

An article or substance that is manufactured or refined for sale.

However there are people that "react" to water ,look under aquagenic urticaria and aquagenic pruritis .
This has to do with contact with water but :
"in severe cases, a person's throat can swell when they drink water"

http://www.mnn.com/health/allergies/photos/10-most-bizarre-allergies/water

Mags
02-03-2013, 23:01
I have eschewed poles ever since they became fashionable,

Didn't think you were THAT old??? :D

https://www.alexanderscostumes.com/store/images/MOSES-STAFF--TALL-1980.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Jacques_Balmat_2.jpg

OK...I'll be quiet now. Just being a smart alek... (Or is that a dumb ass? ;))

speedbump
02-04-2013, 09:29
I can't hike without them. Not after 5 knee surgeries. Also, good balance when crossing fast moving streams. I don't see many hikers with out poles anymore.