PDA

View Full Version : what happened, has my dream for a thru-hike been shattered?

Thumper 2006
06-05-2005, 08:35
Well guys, I started my thru-hike monday at katahdin stream campground. It had been raining all day when we arrived at the beginning of the 100 mile wilderness. We were doing well for the first few days until I felt my feet starting to get hot spots. Naturally I used some duct tape, to ease the blow but it would eventually be to no avail. We made it to the Podawadjo shelter and I knew then that the blisters had gotten so bad that I would not be able to continue. We had almost made to the road when I was walking across a bog log, and my left ankle slipped and rolled over. Its not broken but in pretty bad shape. I made it to mary jo road and a forest ranger gave me a lift out. What should I do? Should I wait till I heal and try flip flopping from harpers ferry to maine then go back to HP and head to Georgia? The blisters are so bad that I can hardly even stand on them. How can I prevent this from happening again, with sock liners? I just got back from Maine to South Carolina, very depressed and angry about it. Someone give me some feedback.

MOWGLI
06-05-2005, 09:09
Well guys, I started my thru-hike monday at katahdin stream campground. It had been raining all day when we arrived at the beginning of the 100 mile wilderness. We were doing well for the first few days until I felt my feet starting to get hot spots. Naturally I used some duct tape, to ease the blow but it would eventually be to no avail. We made it to the Podawadjo shelter and I knew then that the blisters had gotten so bad that I would not be able to continue. We had almost made to the road when I was walking across a bog log, and my left ankle slipped and rolled over. Its not broken but in pretty bad shape. I made it to mary jo road and a forest ranger gave me a lift out. What should I do? Should I wait till I heal and try flip flopping from harpers ferry to maine then go back to HP and head to Georgia? The blisters are so bad that I can hardly even stand on them. How can I prevent this from happening again, with sock liners? I just got back from Maine to South Carolina, very depressed and angry about it. Someone give me some feedback.

What were you wearing on your feet? Trail runners? Full grain leather boots? What kind of socks? Were you feet getting wet? Please share a little more info with us. One thing to think about is heading over to Mast General Store in Greenville, SC, Hendersonville or Asheville, NC. They use the Phil Oren boot fitting system, and al of their sales associates are trained on fitting boots.

Bring along what you were wearing on the trail and have them take a look. That's a much better solution than trying to have us figure it out in cyberspace.

Regarding turning your ankle, how much weight were you carrying in your pack? Were you using trekking poles or carrying a walking stick? A combo of a heavy pack, light boots and no walking stick would be a great recipe for rolling an ankle.

FWIW I was knocked off of the trail for a week with bad blisters after walking NOBO for 6 days in 2000 during my thru-hike. I bailed at Dicks Creek Gap. I was despondent but determined, and got back on the trail and finished. I did not go home however.

You can still do this if you want to. Best of luck!

Thumper 2006
06-05-2005, 09:26
My pack weighed in at about 45 pounds. I had to come home because I did not have the money to spend on a hotel room waiting to heal, (these blisters are pretty much covering the entire front of my foot). I had trekking pole but the trail in ME was submerged in water. I was basically hiking beside the trail instead of on it. I was wearing patagonia midweight capilene socks

BookBurner
06-05-2005, 09:36
Don't make any permanent decisions right now! Give yourself some time to heal and then assess the situation. You have plenty of time to do a southbound thru-hike. I've been in the same situation before and patience, right now, is your best ally.

Good Luck -

BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

MOWGLI
06-05-2005, 09:40
My pack weighed in at about 45 pounds. I had to come home because I did not have the money to spend on a hotel room waiting to heal, (these blisters are pretty much covering the entire front of my foot). I had trekking pole but the trail in ME was submerged in water. I was basically hiking beside the trail instead of on it. I was wearing patagonia midweight capilene socks

Yeah, looks like water is what gave you your blisters. I wouldn't rule out taking a trip to Mast while you're at home.

Bookburner gives some great advice. While you're sitting at home, give some consideration to ordering his book. You'll be hard pressed to find a more current & thoughful examination of gear choices for an extended backpacking trip. That might help you lighten the load for when you return to the trail.

Nean
06-05-2005, 09:50
Blisters are more about shoes than socks, and walking with wet feet even more so. Keep your blisters drained, medicated and dry- no socks or shoes or bandages when possible. Reconsider duct tape. You have plenty of time to heal and continue south or whatever. Take advantage of trail towns for resupply and\or try to lose a few lbs. of pack weight- at least until you've got your trail legs\feet. There's a lot more to the trail than point B, Good luck

Blue Jay
06-05-2005, 09:53
Lose the leather, you'll be fine.

weary
06-05-2005, 09:53
Such surprises can best be avoided by using gear in trail situations before starting a thru hike. Obviously, something is wrong with your boot, sock, pack weight combination.

By current standards 45# is heavy. But until a few years ago, such a weight was pretty average so that isn't the sole cause. But heavy packs tend to require sturdier boots.

I'm a fan of the heaviest Thurlo socks. I had blisters in Georgia in 1993 until someone recommended Thurlos. The blisters disappeared almost immediately and my feet were great for the next five months. I've been wearing Thurlos daily ever since. Light versions around the house. Heavy socks on the trails. Still no blisters, though my boots currently are a pair of rapidly deteriorating, light weight $27 leather Dexter seconds.

Unfortunately, you don't have time for a lot of experimenting. So try to find a good outfitter and hope for the best.

Weary

TOW
06-05-2005, 10:28
number one, put giving up out of your mind for the time being and listen to these guys above. how many miles a day were you doing?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1003.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm020YYUS)

PKH
06-05-2005, 10:41
I understand your pain, depression and disappointment, but you can get through this. The first week of my IAT hike last summer was similar - bad blisters due mainly to unremittingly wet conditions. Let them heal, keep them drained, well covered and medicated. I ended up putting moleskin right over the drained blisters - it offers more cushioning than duct tape - and just walked on. I never had a problem after the first week. Your feet will toughen up too, although I know it doesn't seem possible now. Others have given excellent advice on socks and shoe/boots, so I won't repeat it.

Most of all remember, it's not a personal failure on your part - it can happen to anyone. I don't believe it is possible to complete a long walk without meeting some pain. Your pain came early in your hike, and you still have time to sort things out and carry.

Best of luck,

PKH

Youngblood
06-05-2005, 10:48
Wonderer,

It's hard to toughen your feet when you start out hiking in water all day for days on end and being on the slippery bog logs trying to get through the 100 mile wilderness with limited supplies put pressure on you to get more miles in than you would liked. You had tough luck starting out, might not be much you could have done differently unless you carried enough supplies to slow down... hiking with wet socks all day long is really tough on your feet.

Youngblood

Bad Ass Turtle
06-05-2005, 10:49
I, too, have experienced lots of blister problems. Where mine were depended on what kind of boots/shoes I was wearing, and what kinds of socks, and how wet my feet were getting. I've found that if I wear lighter weight shoes (I now hike in a pair of men's Montrail Javas -- I have some seriously wide feet!) I have to wear a pair of liner socks along with a pair of smartwools or Thorlos. Because my toes tend to curl under in front, without liner socks I get lots of blisters along the front of my toes. So -- that's what I learned.

Yeah, they're painful. But give yourself a week or so and eventually they'll turn into calluses. In 2001, I was off the trail for a month and a half for physical therapy, but the bottom line is GET BACK ON THE TRAIL -- once your feet have healed up.

Wishing you the best for your journey --

B A Turtle

The Hog
06-05-2005, 10:59
This isn't a defeat, just a temporary setback. I got bad tendinitis early in my thru hike, took a few days off and continued on. Yes, I endured some pain for awhile, but it eventually went away. I am so, so glad I didn't give up!

As others have said, it's common to get blisters when your feet are constantly wet. Let 'em dry out and heal. While you're doing that, concentrate on getting your pack weight down.

TJ aka Teej
06-05-2005, 11:00
Hi Wonderer,
Saw where you and Princess signed out at Katahdin, just a few days before the AT there opened. Heal, rest, tweek your gear, and when ready go back to Baxter. The Mountain will wait for you.

stupe
06-05-2005, 11:21
Good luck Wonderer, I hope you listen to the above advice to get back on the trail. I have only one piece of advice myself: carry at least six pair of socks, and manage them so you always have a couple dry pair. Dry socks can make even wet leather boots bearable, and dry socks are the only way to spend a night in camp.

Thumper 2006
06-05-2005, 11:34
Thank you all for your advice. The predicament now is healing and time. SHould I do the flip flop or just go back to baxter and start south. I also forgot to mention that they are having one of the worst black fly and mesquito seasons in a few years. There is also the money issue of traveling. I have so many worries and am very fustrated but i am not going to give up. My ankle swole up pretty bad on the train ride back. How long do I have before i should make a decision. I am so sorry I have so many questions, but a year and a half of planning only to have it blow up in your face is a lot to swallow. I really appreciate all of your concerns i did not want to come home but I thought it was the best decision due to my injuries

Thumper 2006
06-05-2005, 11:37
My tent is also a little weighty should I think about switching to a hammock and if so what would be the best for the price?

MOWGLI
06-05-2005, 11:57
I have only one piece of advice myself: carry at least six pair of socks, and manage them so you always have a couple dry pair. Dry socks can make even wet leather boots bearable, and dry socks are the only way to spend a night in camp.

Let me add to that. I carried more socks than most after my blister episode. I used diaper pins to attach wet & dirty socks to the exterior of my pack so they could air and/or dry out.
Regarding your questions about trail direction. Harpers to Katahdin would be a good way to start. I believe Amtrak goes to Harpers. The trail north of Harpers is prety easy - and mostly dry. It'll take you about a week to hit the rockier part of PA, but I have always been of the opinion that the rocks are overblown. You will need to watch a recently injured ankle however.

Hey, are you icing or elevating that foot?

Rgearding yout tent, I donno that switching to a hammock is the answer. I betcha someone would send you a lightweight tent for free or for cheap if you asked. If I hadn't recently tossed my Clip Flashlite, I'd send it to you. Many hikers have piles & piles of unused gear sitting in there closets. Can anyone out there help this kid?

Youngblood
06-05-2005, 12:02
My tent is also a little weighty should I think about switching to a hammock and if so what would be the best for the price?You might be interested in this: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/HotSpringsJun05.htm . It's this weekend and is about a hundred miles from you. I don't know who all will be there except Ed Speer will be there and I am planning on being there. Last one in April had several folks with Speer, Hennessy and home made hammocks. Hammock choices are tough because its hard to get to try them out before you purchase them... this might be a chance for you to do that. I expect to bring an extra homemade hammock setup with me... let me know if you want me to reserve it for you. Oh yeah, Ed used his hammock design on his AT thru-hike and Hot Springs is on the AT.

Youngblood

Ridge
06-05-2005, 12:40
I would break in at least two pair of good fitting hiking boots. The Jones Gap, Ceasars Head Hiking trails(within 30mins of you) are really tough and will help break you and your boots in. You can do the Foothills Trail for a test run with a backpack. Always wear liners with socks.

Thumper 2006
06-05-2005, 14:05
I wish I could make it there but I am pinching money right now for when I leave to go back, thanks anyway. I dont know what to do right know I'm so pissed! If any of you have any really light tents and would let me borrow one I would much appreciate it. I have a Mtn Hardwear thru-hiker (5lbs). Did not realize it would be such a burden on the AT I have been using it for about a year but for the AT I dont guess it is feasible.

neo
06-05-2005, 14:54
what gives me blisters is wet feet,i carry a prescription of amoxicillian antibiotic
on all my hikes,blisters are inevitable for me.what i do is minimize the size and amount of blisters,i carry amoxicillian just in case of infection,my feet are tough,but no matter what i wear,i get them when my feet get wet,wet feet
gonna happen:cool: neo

DMA, 2000
06-05-2005, 15:08
Go to the drugstore and buy yourself a bottle of New Skin. It is probably inadequate for the size and scope of the blisters you have now, but if you apply it early you may find it useful. I swear by the stuff. It has been great on blisters, cuts, and burns. I have tried moleskin, second skin, band aids, and duct tape. In my experience, New Skin is the best possible treatment for blisters.

Get yourself healthy, follow the advice above about getting just the right shoe, and try to get back out there. You may complete the thru, you may not, but I hope you give it another chance.

Good luck!

Skyline
06-05-2005, 15:10
Agree, for ease of break-in on the Trail, for $$$ reasons, and to avoid the black flies in Maine--go to Harpers Ferry, hike to K, then go back to HF, hike to Springer.

Or, just become a multi-year section hiker and avoid the pressure of having to finish this year. You can hike where you want, in whatever season you want, in the direction you want--as a section hiker.

Nean
06-05-2005, 23:10
You have yet to recieve any bad advice- you have lots of options. Just to clarify; keep blisters uncovered only while not active, so they can dry. I left the big K july 8 and had a great trip- all the flies were gone too:banana AND you can hike Katahdin this time while your in the hood.:clap You have plenty of time to heal while the trail dries. I know its frustrating but things have a way of working out on the trail, as it truely is a magic place. Just wait, you'll see.;)

Programbo
07-23-2005, 21:31
I`m amazed at the over blown sneakers that pass for hiking boots these days..Give me a pair of those HEAVY stiff uppers and unbendable soled Fabiano climbing boots from way back in the day..Those things were bombproof..If you stepped with your toe on one rock and your heel on another or your foot hitting only the toes on a rock those soles would simply bridge the gap and you`d keep stepping..Those light-mid-weight "boots" flex so much under the weight of a pack its a constant strain on your foot and a lot of movement of your foot within the boot

SGT Rock
07-23-2005, 21:58
I`m amazed at the over blown sneakers that pass for hiking boots these days..Give me a pair of those HEAVY stiff uppers and unbendable soled Fabiano climbing boots from way back in the day..Those things were bombproof..If you stepped with your toe on one rock and your heel on another or your foot hitting only the toes on a rock those soles would simply bridge the gap and you`d keep stepping..Those light-mid-weight "boots" flex so much under the weight of a pack its a constant strain on your foot and a lot of movement of your foot within the boot
:jump LOL! Right...

Mushroom 96
07-23-2005, 22:09
I recommend fully synthetic socks such as ultimax hikers. Had/ have great luck with them. Also you might consider a real lite liner sock for when your feet are wet to help reduce friction. I don't know if ankle panty hose are as good? Anyone had luck with those as a liner? Finally I read somewhere long ago before my hike that rubbing your feet with rubbing alcohol in the evening would help to tough the skin and develop calloses. Don't know if it would work. I always wore leather boots when working so my feet did just fine. the worst blister i got was a week long outing wearing trail shoes.

Nean
07-23-2005, 23:46
Walk barefoot on a gravel road everyday 'till you go back out and then use very thin or don't use socks at all as they can cause friction, which causes blisters. I read this somewhere, hope it helps

soulrebel
07-24-2005, 06:57
Preventative tip: bag balm/vaseline your feet and cover w/ socks at bedtime. It helps soften any rough areas that will build up heat friction. Works pretty well for our long race days.

Preventative tip 2: put newskin BEFORE the blister develops on known hotspots...

Preventative tip 3: alternate pair of shoes and put 30-40miles on shoes before taking them LONG... oh ya wrightsocks, smartwool, thorlos, or might want to go w/ a silk liner sock under a wool heavy sock---the oldie but goodie..

for your ankle: prolly some torn connective tissue. Use nsaids moderately for 3-5 days to cut inflammation, RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) 3-4x a day for 20mins, eat calcium/magnesium rich foods (magnesium is extremely helpful in strengthening joints and eliminating popping...

More than likely, you need to rest the twisted ankle 1 to 2 weeks and maybe just maybe you might be able to start very slowly with half the weight your carrying now. However, pushing hard will likely put you back in the sling. If i did go back out---be sure to carry a compression strap or ace bandage, biofreeze or some ice packs. GL

wacocelt
07-24-2005, 08:23
All of my blister advice has been covered, I'm just chiming in to let you know that you are far from the only blister or injury sufferer this year. Several other SoBo's this year have incurred a range from blisters to kidney stones to broken feet (I broke my left foot just before descending the Mahoosuc Arm). Just give it the time you feel necessary, then get back out on the trail where you think is best, perhaps just do some sections this year to keep your interest and spirits high, then commit to a Thru at a later date.

Frosty
07-24-2005, 09:54
Lose the leather, you'll be fine.This is good advice for a lot of hikers, but it isn't a universal law, so Wonderer be sure to remember that we are all saying "we tried this and it worked for us" and "we tried this but it didn't work."

The first time I "lost the leather" I developed a pair of terrible blisters. Another time I hiked in sneakers I developed a hot spot. I applied moleskin but had a long way to hike yet that day. When I took my socks off my sock was red on the bottom, not a good sign. My section hike ended that night, and it was over a month before I could hike again.

For me, I've gotten blisters twice in 40 years, both times hiking in sneakers. I've never gotten a blister in leather boots, even those humongous boots we wore back in the 70's.

I still hike is sneakers sometimes, but I'm very aware of the high bister potential. Likewise I am unworried about hiking in leather boots, especially stiff ones, even through rain and puddles.

Try different things. Go with what works.