PDA

View Full Version : Food storage in pack

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 09:07
Ellie Luggah and I are going to hike the Maine section in July. We are going to do it in 3 sections with resupplies in Monson and Stratton. We will be taking our time to do more than just hike. As such, we will be carrying a lot of food between resupplies.

Many advise packing your pack the same way every day. Many advise carrying certain food for their energy and availability. Unfortunately, many of those foods are easily crushed. Containers designed to thwart these problems are to heavy, the wrong dimensions, and/or too hard to get food into.

To accommodate all these thoughts we came up with the following idea: Carry dehydrated meals in one of these and snacks/gorp in another. It is an UTZ PubMix container that you can get at Sam's Club. It weighs 7 oz (5.6 oz without cover), holds 15 cups, and is about 5" x 14".

The idea is that the food is protected, in the same spot every day, and takes up the same volume regardless if full or empty. Any thoughts?

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 09:55
Oh bump already. Surely someone has considered and/or tried something like this.

Don H
01-21-2013, 10:11
Round packages waste space in a pack, same reason why I don't stuff a sleeping bag so tight. The only food I try to avoid getting crushed is Poptarts. I leave them in the box.

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2013, 10:15
I've yet to figure out the best way to pack my pack; I'm always changing it up.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2013, 10:43
I carry my food bag in the middle of the pack, as that keeps the center of gravity in a good place. Most of my packs have top pockets, so I keep my snacks for the day up there, so I don't have to dig the food bag out of the pack. A lot of hikers I've meet have a "snack sack" which is kept near the top of the pack for quick and easy access.

Pringles containers are good for keeping things like crackers from being crushed and doesn't take up too much room. The UTZ container isn't a bad idea. Kinda a poor man's bear canister which isn't bear proof, but is mouse proof. I would probably go with the larger one they sell with cheese balls in it.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 10:51
I would probably go with the larger one they sell with cheese balls in it.

I bought that one 1st. It is too much of a circle. It is too bulky and the arc is so large that it is hard to pack around it. These containers are small enough to allow for easy packing, but large enough to get your arm into.

MDSection12
01-21-2013, 10:54
I just don't pack anything that I'm worried about crushing... I find that food that I wouldn't touch at home is delicious on the trail, so I just pack whatever is convenient rather than worrying about being picky.:)

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 10:59
I just don't pack anything that I'm worried about crushing... I find that food that I wouldn't touch at home is delicious on the trail, so I just pack whatever is convenient rather than worrying about being picky.:)

Yup. Seeing that said a lot by those that hike further than one state and agree if you are resupplying ever 3rd or 4th day.. My needs are specific and much different than if I was doing a thru hike. 2 resupplies for 3 slow going 100 mile sections (including all spur trails) has made me consider this type of container. We will be carrying a lot of food.

grayfox
01-21-2013, 11:53
Mine had carmelcorn in it...yumm. I bought it for the same reason, light mouse protection, and think it will work great. I have only done a few trips where I had to carry more than a weeks' supplies at once. My thinking was that the chances of something happening, like a bear getting it or rain soaking it, was more likely the longer I was out. So, I packed a small 'emergency' food box using a drybox and kept it at the bottom of my pack and used it last. I packed the majority of the food and supplies in a sturdy dry bag and hung it with a bear rope at night. I also had a plastic bag in a stuff sack tied to the top of the pack that held the bulky stuff and the food for the first few days since I did not expect any trouble from critters. This method worked great and I had just enough to get through to my next supply point and did not loose any food to animals and elements. I think that not having 'all the eggs in one basket' was the wise way to pack. But there were no bear canisters back then--now I might just use one and chalk up the extra weight to piece of mind.

Rocket Jones
01-21-2013, 14:29
The only time I carry anything like that is when we're cabin camping in SNP. I pack my food in a metal cookie tin, and duct tape the lid down to keep mice out. There's usually a small metal can for food storage in the cabins, but it fills fast when you have enough people there. This way, my stuff is taken care of.

Lyle
01-21-2013, 15:36
I just use a stuff sack and accept the fact that at times, I will be eating my crackers with a spoon.

Deadeye
01-21-2013, 20:53
I use UTZ containers lots of times - keeps things dry and protected from rodents, and I too like to have the pack feel the same shape (but lighter!) each day. Most of the time now I use a bear canister, since I spend a lot of time in places they're required.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2013, 21:03
Birdbrain, I have to ask: Given your interest in carrying a hardbody container to keep your food intact and your posts in previous threads about how serious you are about safe food storage, have you considered just taking a bear canister? Given your stated preferences this might be a luxury item to consider.

tds1195
01-21-2013, 21:16
Birdbrain, I have to ask: Given your interest in carrying a hardbody container to keep your food intact and your posts in previous threads about how serious you are about safe food storage, have you considered just taking a bear canister? Given your stated preferences this might be a luxury item to consider.

I was thinking the same thing elf

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 21:40

Actually the bear canister is what inspired me to look for possible packing canisters. I would love to have one, but alas, I am a tight wade too. I can understand your thoughts on my posts on the other threads. My issue there was the lack of honesty. I fully understand the tired hiker who says, I'm tired and I ain't hanging that thing today. I will likely do the same if I am too tired. I was a newbie caught off guard by the realities of how a thru hiker acts as opposed to what is suggested. Besides, a bear proof container is over kill when the food is 10' out of reach of the bear.

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2013, 22:03
I would love to have one, but alas, I am a tight wade too. I can understand your thoughts on my posts on the other threads. My issue there was the lack of honesty. I fully understand the tired hiker who says, I'm tired and I ain't hanging that thing today. I will likely do the same if I am too tired. I was a newbie caught off guard by the realities of how a thru hiker acts as opposed to what is suggested. Besides, a bear proof container is over kill when the food is 10' out of reach of the bear.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have honestly considered carrying a bear canister on the A.T. It seems like a wonderful lazy man's option and really would be a luxury to be able to setup camp each night and not have to worry about food storage at all. Ultimately the weight and size of the canisters made me choose not to deal with them.

I'm not against anyone carrying canisters, I'm just against rules that would force me to carry one unnecessarily.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 22:07
I'm just against rules that would force me

I am grasping that common theme more and more. It is very common on this site.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2013, 22:20
I agree with the others... a Glad Uber light for the crush-able stuff. How about checking this site

http://www.trailcooking.com/

its all about FBC any other questions use the search and PM me.. Happy to help!

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 23:46
I agree with the others... a Glad Uber light for the crush-able stuff. How about checking this site

http://www.trailcooking.com/

its all about FBC any other questions use the search and PM me.. Happy to help!

Yes. We plan to make dehydrated meals ahead of time and have them portioned in bags. Our resupplies will have meals prepared and portioned that way too. The crush protection was only part of the utz container reasoning. The other part was intended to keep the pack the same exact size and layout. Don't get me wrong. I am listening to the advice. I started the thread hoping for experienced opinions. I am getting some.

Son Driven
01-22-2013, 00:30
Debating about bringing a one gallon aluminum pot w/lid. Weighs about a pound. Using it for food storage when it is not being used for cooking. I made a couple of super cat stoves that weigh almost nothing. So what I am saving in stove weight I am adding in pot weight. My thinking is other hikers will have stoves, but pots that can make a community meal will be scarce. If not I can cook just about anything with the super cats.

Sarcasm the elf
01-22-2013, 00:43
I am grasping that common theme more and more. It is very common on this site.

Bingo!

BirdBrain
01-22-2013, 09:00
I'm just against rules

I wouldn't dream of trying to change your mind. You are already consumed by constraints that scream, you can't tell me what to do. I understand this more and more as I read people's protests. On the surface it makes no sense. I asked myself, why the vehement reaction? I get it now. It is part and parcel of why many are on the trail.

I choose a simpler path. It is so much easier to submit to every reasonable authority. There are things worth fighting over, even dying over. Where food is hung is not one of them. I would gladly submit to the person who asks me not to hang my food in a shelter or not play the harmonica, or silence the cell phone. It is just an easier path for me. I don't care if someone thinks I am a wimp. Peace is just so peaceful.

There are real things worth opposing that are coming to our country real soon. The sad thing is those that submit to little things are less likely to object to unreasonable things and those that are unwilling to submit to little things will be the banner carriers when our government goes too far.

This was a long rant. It probably says little more than that I don't see people's actions as being logical. I just don't get people and that is why I am boldly removing all doubt about being a fool by speaking up.