PDA

View Full Version : Report from Katahdin

TJ aka Teej
06-05-2005, 10:56
The Hunt Trail up Katahdin is now open. (Officially on June 4th) With the Katahdin Stream Ranger's permission I climbed Friday morning up onto the Hunt spur, past some rotten snow and a few small glaciers, but the AT was safe to use in my opinion. I had promised not to summit, and headed back down to report feeling all heroic-like, only to meet an off duty Ranger down by the Falls who was going up to see if he could climb to the summit. After both of our reports the Trail was declared open by HQ.
Two bridges are out on the AT inside Baxter. The Foss-Knowlton Bridge and the cabled planks over the South branch of Nesouderhunk Stream were destroyed by high water. Foss-Knowlton is a wicked roaring ford where the bridge was (bridges are placed at the shortest span, always best to look for fords above and below washed out bridges), and the other one had a jungle gym of flotsam and smashed planks for a knee deep white water traverse.
Two southbounders who turned back at the second ford were going to flip down to Virginia. Met WhiteBlazers Hammock Hanging Augie, RITBlake and UCONNMike, all looking strong. Also met/hiked with Tess and Rob, and Keith and Lisa, all doing well and heading south. Tess, from Oz, had never seen a moose. I spotted a cow and calf near the Birches, ran to get her and Rob, and the moose were still there when we went back. Rather amazing actually, because that kind of thing seems to never work out.
Liqidation logging continues at high speed adjacent to Baxter's southern border and the AT corridor where it enters the Park. The sweet scent of fresh cut wood strongly flavors the air at the Abol Stream bridge.
Blackflies and Skeeters were out, annoying at times.
Pictures, more thoughts, later.
Tuckered TJ

Nameless
06-05-2005, 18:50
Thanks for the report TJ, I'm glad to hear the Hunt trail is open, I catch my plane to Maine tonight and start hiking the mountain on wednesday (all monday flying, tuesday rest and getting to Katahdin Stream). I'm really excited about my sobo hike so close I can feel it...

Pink

mhussey
06-06-2005, 17:22
Glad to hear that Hunt has opened up. I spent the last three days backpacking from the North entrance of Baxter into the middle of the park. The trails have not been cleaned up from blow downs etc. yet, the skeeters were out in full force, and my girlfriend twisted her knee. With all that said, we still mangaged to have a great time and get some awesome footage of the snow covered mountain (more snow on the back side and knife edge than the front AT& Abol trail side). Two years ago I found snow atop Abol at the end of June, hope to do the same this year:banana