PDA

View Full Version : Virginia in August

totampa
01-21-2013, 12:13
A few friends and I are taking a week to hike the app trail in Virginia in the month of August. I think we are going to fly into Roanoke. I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on where to start, really good sections, etc. I look forward to getting your feedback. Thanks

Slo-go'en
01-21-2013, 12:34
Where to start is easy - US 220 trail crossing at Daleville is closest to Roanoke. Then toss a coin to decide wether to go north or south. South would take you over Tinker ciffs, McAree knob and Dragons tooth, three of the highlights of Virginia, but north isn't too shoddy either. Both directions are about equally difficult as this is one of the more bumpy sections of VA. End points would be Waynsboro to the north and Pearisburg to the south.

flemdawg1
01-21-2013, 12:37
Suggestion: start in some other state, preferably New England. August is brutal hot in the South, maybe not Florida hot, but highs of 90-100s w/ high humidity are not uncommon.

HikerMom58
01-21-2013, 12:46
Well, you are flying into a great place to start hiking... Roanoke. The trail head in Daleville is not far away at all. Daleville also has all the options you would need for food supplies etc.. to start your hike.

One month is a nice amount of time to get in some good "AT gems" in VA. I would prob. advise you to start South of Roanoke to include the VA Highlands. Then, if you would want to skip around you could def. do Central VA to include Dragon's tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. That would put you back near Roanoke.. Then skip ahead to do Shenandoah National Park..

If you need shuttle service, there's plenty of people that can help you out with that... sounds like loads of FUN!!

You won't mind the VA heat coming from FL..;)

Slo-go'en
01-21-2013, 12:53
Thier only going for a week, not a month.

HikerMom58
01-21-2013, 13:03
Thier only going for a week, not a month.

Oh yeah... I see that, thanks Slo-go'en... it is a coin toss then as to whether they should go North or South....hummm.... if they go south they could eat at the Homeplace... that might be a deciding factor right there. ;)