PDA

View Full Version : How to get to CDT cheaply?

Blister
06-05-2005, 12:35
Trying to figure how we are going to get from NH to Glacier Natl Part, northern CDT terminus. All mediums are pretty expensive - cheapest being over 3 days on greyhound. All thoughts, comments, advice and contacts will be helpful.

tiamalle
06-05-2005, 12:44
Trying to figure how we are going to get from NH to Glacier Natl Part, northern CDT terminus. All mediums are pretty expensive - cheapest being over 3 days on greyhound. All thoughts, comments, advice and contacts will be helpful.hitch with a trucker:-?

Ridge
06-05-2005, 12:52
Maybe you can put together a chain of whiteblaze members to relay you to the CDT.

chris
06-05-2005, 14:07
Getting to the CDT for me is pretty cheap. I'm flying from Seattle to Calgary on Horizon for something like $125. I've got friends there who are going to give me a lift down to Waterton. A flight from NH to Calgary might be pricey, though. From Calgary, you can hop a greyhound down to Pincher Creek which is a little bit outside the park. From Pincher Creek, either hitch to the park or there is a shuttle. Or, at least, there is supposed to be one.

There is supposed to be train travel to Glacier, and this is how many people end up getting there. You still have to make the border from there.

zephyr1034
06-05-2005, 16:57
There is supposed to be train travel to Glacier, and this is how many people end up getting there. You still have to make the border from there.[/QUOTE]================================================== ===========
Amtrak has a daily train called the Empire Builder that stops three places: East Glacier, Essex, and West Glacier, all in Montana. One or more of these stops may be summer-only. Go to www.amtrak.com (http://www.amtrak.com/) for fares and schedules.

Amtrak is also useful in accessing the AT at: Gainesville GA, Charlottesville VA, Harpers Ferry WV, Harrisburg PA, White River Junction VT and Portland ME (well, that one's a stretch).

However, the Bush administration is doing its best to eliminate funding for Amtrak. It would be good to call your congressperson and senators in support of Amtrak funding. Losing train service will just make things more difficult for hikers.

Tom Hoffman

Pencil Pusher
06-05-2005, 19:27
Good luck getting transportation that's cheap and convenient. If you don't want to lump for a ride, you could always try your hand on the freight train.

Bolivershagnasty
06-05-2005, 20:29
Blister you dicided to do the CDT? I thougt you might be a SOBO. Figure up the cost maybe we can all send ya 20 bucks. New slogan in place of "get er done"
we'll say "get her there"...

Sly
06-05-2005, 21:00
I know it sounds horrorible but a three day bus ride isn't all that bad, and $109 for a 7 day advance ticket is tough to beat. They can actually be fun.

You'll want to go from Hanover to Whitefish, MT and then take Amtrak back to East Glacier. From there find a ride (or hitch) to Two Medicene Ranger Station to get your backcountry permit. It'll probably be easiest to start at Chief Mountain (hitch) but check into the shuttle from the Lodge if you want to start at Waterton Lake and Goat Haunt. If you do the later you'll need a drivers license AND a birth certificate OR a valid US passport.

If you do take Greyhound make sure to take your pack at every transfer and watch it diligently at EVERY stop.

Wish I were going...

fiddlehead
06-05-2005, 21:49
Although East Glacier is a tough town to get to, it is still one or the best trail towns there is! I agree with Sly that Greyhound is probably your best bet. But, i'm not so sure about the "Fun" part.
Once you get to E. Glacier, look up a guy named Mark. He owns the swan something hotel and also the small diner near the center of town. He has hiked the AT and is a real trail angel. He may help you find a ride up to start the trail. I would highly recommend trying to start at Waterton vs. the Chief Mt. customs station. One is in the woods and the other is perhaps the most majestic view on all 3 trails. (if not from the lake itself, along the route that you would miss if you take the shorter, easier route.)
Glad to hear you are finally goin for it Blister! You know, when Mr. Miz and I finished in 98, we couldn't figure out how to get back home so we ended up buying a car for $500 and driving it to Seattle, Portland,OR and then home. I'd join the CDT-L if i were you and post questions there. Good luck! and I know you'll have fun. Go do-badders once again! fh

Nean
06-05-2005, 22:21
The price you get from Amtrack depends a lot on who you talk to, at least that used to be the case. Call 3x, get 3 different qoutes. You can reserve with just your name. Ask about specials as they often have them, but don't go out of their way to tell you. They have these neat old shuttles, once you get there that will take you to Two Medicine and Waterton, if a ride doesn't work out. I prefer the actual divide to the CDT in the northern park although that does require a 5m road walk once yall get to Logan Pass. BTW- great bar in St. Marys called Kips. Be careful with rides, some of the real natives still hold a grudge.

Blister
06-06-2005, 10:39
ALL Your information is being quite helpful to me. I have decided to probablly opt for the Chief Mountain Route since it will avoid me having to fork out the money right now for a passport to re-enter the US from Waterton. According to the guide books it is still a decent trail to start with, or at least it sounds interesting. Rainman has already backed out on me - oh well. I am gonna go back to my plan of 800-1000 miles and have fun doing it in the Do-badder tradition. (Blue blazin hiker trash, meets a do-badder - meets Billville red blazer in one hike on the CDT) I've been like a kid in a candy store with the maps. Hopefully getting more maps today on CD in the mail. I'm pretty stoked!!!! Will also dtry to decide by the end of the day what ticket to purchase for transit. Keep any thoughtful insights coming, I'm a sponge!

Spirit Walker
06-06-2005, 14:15
We've done both routes, and while 50 Mountain is more spectacular, the Chief Mountain route is also beautiful (especially if you're heading south) and has the advantage of less snow this time of year. Of course, there is always the question of which route the rangers give you, which may or may not be the one you ask for.

If you take the bus, you can get off at Shelby MT and pick up the train there, instead of going to Whitefish and backtracking. It will save some time.

Nean
06-06-2005, 14:57
You need a pasport for Canada now? Think they only cost 10 bucks but take a few weeks. I'll be sure to give Rainman hell but I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless.

Jester2000
06-06-2005, 15:16
Have been following your "plans," if you can call them that, and can only ask, "are you drunk all the time now?" But seriously, let me know where you'll be when, so I can send you some goodies. Good luck and keep in touch!

jlb2012
06-06-2005, 15:16
I think you are way off on the cost of a passport - see http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html but the way I read it is that the cost is $97

Blister
06-06-2005, 15:30
The price for a passport will increase in the amount of time that you need it. For me to get one in 1 week it will be over 100 dollars. Different locations - different agencies have different prices. I have enough to think about than running around hoping the passport will get here time. And Jester no - I am actually quite sober, compared to you :) I'll leave a message on your machine before I leave and will post my few maildrops somewhere on here, maybe uder trip reports. I really have appreciated the wisdom sent forth in my direction.

Sly
06-06-2005, 21:06
If you take the bus, you can get off at Shelby MT and pick up the train there, instead of going to Whitefish and backtracking. It will save some time.

I'm not sure the bus goes to Shelby any more, it doesn't appear so on the Greyhound website. Not to worry, you'll see more of Montana this way.

BTW, you don't absolutely need a passport on re-entering the US from Canada yet, but by 2008 you will. What you do need, unless you want to be interrogated, is a drivers license AND a birth certificate.

fiddlehead
06-06-2005, 23:36
Blister, glad to hear you're going anyway. You're gonna love it. Do you have bear spray? if not, order some from our website and tell George to give you my discount. (20%) Chances are you won't need it but it's a great thing to have for "piece of mind" Try to go through the Ptarmigan tunnel if it's open yet. You'll have to ask at the permit station. It's one of the best views of the whole trail even though it's not on the so called "official cdt" (whatever that means) fh
ps. Did you hear that Amy is getting married?

chris
06-07-2005, 09:39
Blister, glad to hear you're going anyway. You're gonna love it. Do you have bear spray? if not, order some from our website and tell George to give you my discount. (20%) Chances are you won't need it but it's a great thing to have for "piece of mind" Try to go through the Ptarmigan tunnel if it's open yet. You'll have to ask at the permit station. It's one of the best views of the whole trail even though it's not on the so called "official cdt" (whatever that means) fh
ps. Did you hear that Amy is getting married?

Note that you are not suppoed to cross into Canada from the US with bear spray. Once in Canada, you can buy the big bear spray cans (not the small, personal defence ones).

Blister
06-07-2005, 12:18
Hey guys!
Well I have the transportation. My first Amtrack experience. My departure date from White River Junction, VT is on the 15th and arriving after various train changes in East Glacier the night of the 17th. Great advice by the way to call amtrack numerous times - I recieved numerous quotes as well as numerous and outrageous stop overs. Finally I had a woman that worked with me on a discount and no overnight layovers. My biggest layover will be 1 1/2 hours. I have been pouring over all the maps and guide books getting together a tentative itinerary which I will post. You all realize what happens to the itinerary once on the trail? FH - great movie on Nepal!!!! I believe there was a bit about burning your itinerary in the video. I still havn't seeen the one Rainman did on the Grand Canyon. Probablly this weekend. Rainman has agreed to do my maildrops for me - SWEET!
Anyways I was hoping on picking up the bear spray in East Glacier, there has got to be a way ro sneak it in with my gear if I choose the high route. I'll decide on that today and give George a call. I love his new business cards. Amy getting married, that's cool.

Sly
06-07-2005, 12:23
Out of curiousity, how much was Amtrak?

I tried the website but couldn't get anything from White River Junction to East Glacier to work. From NYC to MT was something like $268.

Blister
06-07-2005, 12:52
Including the extra charge to have the tickets Fed Exd @12.00 - White River doesn't have a ticket counter - or so I was told. Total 192.00! The biggest quote I was given with the numerous phone calls I made was over 300 dollars and I was suppose to layover in New york city without a hotel room overnight. This agent really hooked me up in comparison to all the other options.

Footslogger
06-07-2005, 12:54
Blister ...so how long does it take you to get there using Amtrak and what is your routing ??

'Slogger

Sly
06-07-2005, 13:25
Including the extra charge to have the tickets Fed Exd @12.00 - White River doesn't have a ticket counter - or so I was told. Total 192.00!

That's awesome, I always wanted to take a long train ride, where you could stretch out and walk around. For the extra $75 or so over Greyhound it should be worth it.

Don't forget to take some booze with you, I think it's allowable. Cheers, to the best trail of them all.

Blister
06-07-2005, 15:17
Not only is it allowable - I believe they have a "dinning/drinking car". My particular route goes from White River jct Vt - to springfield ma - to albany ny - to chicago il and then to the final straight stretch to Glacier. Leaving on the 15th at 11am arriving on the 17th about 7pm. I'll probablly be setting off foot on the trail either 19th or 20th. This is the first time I have ever taken a long distance trail, that alone is kinda exciting!

Footslogger
06-07-2005, 15:20
Hell yeah ...sounds like "getting there" is going to be a big part of the adventure !!

'Slogger

Heater
06-07-2005, 15:30
Not only is it allowable - I believe they have a "dinning/drinking car". My particular route goes from White River jct Vt - to springfield ma - to albany ny - to chicago il and then to the final straight stretch to Glacier. Leaving on the 15th at 11am arriving on the 17th about 7pm. I'll probablly be setting off foot on the trail either 19th or 20th. This is the first time I have ever taken a long distance trail, that alone is kinda exciting!I took a 4 day - 3 night cross country trip.

Yes they have a lounge car and you can buy beer and lounge around in there. Watch a movie, drink beer, eat and socialize whith fellow travelers. No hard liquor. The seats kick back to about a 25 - 30 degree incline for sleeping. TIP... get on the train early and get one of the seats at the front of the coach. That way you have about an extra two feet of leg room. :)

Lots of fun and an easy way to travel. You get to know your fellow travelers pretty quick and share some good stories. Lots of conversation.

Have fun!:) :)

PS... bring your own food... They have a dining car but it aint worth it.

Heater
06-07-2005, 15:38
One other thing. When I went, they had a season or yearly pass... something like that. There were people that were just living on that train traveling around the U.S.
:banana
I don't know if they do that anymore.

Pretty cool! :cool:

Sly
06-07-2005, 15:42
Hey, it's the Whispering Swan Motel that Fiddlehead was talking about. Mark, the owner will most likely let you use a vehicle to drive the 10 miles to Two Medicine to get your overnight back country permits (was $4 per night for the permits).

Although we got through the park fairly quick, averaging around 15 miles a day, you'll probably want to allow for a couple extra days since you'll just be starting out.

There's also a small "Backpacker Hostel" in town, part of Serrano's Mexican Restaurant.

I can't tell you how many good times I had off trail, as well as on. It was just the best time.

Mags
06-07-2005, 15:52
There's also a small "Backpacker Hostel" in town, part of Serrano's Mexican Restaurant.

And in the "it's a small world' category...they have a connection to the Serranos here in Boulder.

I took the train when I went to do the PCT. It was a nice way to ease from my life in town to my life onthe trail...

Yet another PCT journal entry:

]Weds April 24 On a train somewhere in New Mexico 0.0miles

Traveling by train is a way that allows me to transition from my life back in Colorado to my new life that awaits me on the trail. I do not think traveling to San Diego by jet would have the same effect. Something about the cadence of the wheels on the track, seeing the distant mountains on the horizon and watching the sun set seems to encourage thinking and letting my thoughts wander.

Already the events of the few days seem a distant memory: friends taking me out one last time, calls to my family and friends back in Rhode Island, moving my belongings into storage for the next few months. Last week was I really working on a computer solving some arcane technical issue?

Time goes more slowly traveling this way. Time to collect my thoughts and think about the months ahead.[/B]

Sly
06-07-2005, 15:57
Hey Mags,

Does your Serrano's serve large pitchers of Margaritas? The CDT has the best bars, I should have written a guide! :D

Heater
06-07-2005, 15:59
Hey Mags,

Does your Serrano's serve large pitchers of Margaritas? The CDT has the best bars, I should have written a guide! :D
The ones in Austin, Texas do.:jump

Heater
06-07-2005, 16:13
And in the "it's a small world' category...they have a connection to the Serranos here in Boulder.

I took the train when I went to do the PCT. It was a nice way to ease from my life in town to my life onthe trail...

[/I]Mags,

The social environment I experienced on the multiday train trip, (getting to know people very quickly, comraderie and basically a good time) is sort of what I envision the trail experience to be like. Did you see any parallels between the two?

One game I used to play on the train was to walk through the cars without touching anything with my hands. Definately an excersise in balance and foot control. :)

Blister
06-08-2005, 10:34
I have decided that we are ALL completeley NUTS around here. Can't wait to get there - this planning stuff plucks!

Mags
06-08-2005, 10:57
Hey Mags,

I suspcect they do! Must confess to never having been there. Though, I did have a housemate who was a bartender (yeah..I know..I had a bartender roomie and I never too advantage of it. :) In my defense, he was in the part of town known as Gubarrel, which was never on my way to anywhere.)

Mags
06-08-2005, 10:58
Mags,

The social environment I experienced on the multiday train trip, (getting to know people very quickly, comraderie and basically a good time) is sort of what I envision the trail experience to be like. Did you see any parallels between the two?

One game I used to play on the train was to walk through the cars without touching anything with my hands. Definately an excersise in balance and foot control. :)

I had some nice discussions on the train. About 15+ of us were headed to do the PCT, so it wa rather funny! :)

Mushroom 96
06-08-2005, 15:28
The train rules! Took it from Harpers Ferry homebound. No drunken convicts like on the greyhound. And yes the beer was cold!! but very expensive. :D

fiddlehead
06-08-2005, 22:09
Sorreno's in E Glacier is one of the best spots on the trail. You can sleep in their hostel for (i think) $10 a night, work it off if you are broke, meet lots of Europeans there as they love to travel by train and stay in hostels, and eat the best food in town (except Mark's breakfast at the tiny diner on main st). It is a tough town to leave. the town is full of bars (it's officially an indian reservation that isn't dry!)

Say hi to Mark for me (Whispering Swan) he really helped us out on our last hike!
And also MaryJane at Sorrerno's. (her actual name, really!)
And remember, you won't see another town for a lloooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnng time!