PDA

View Full Version : Garbage.

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 15:10
We are heading South from Maine in June or July, we plan to hike the Maine section...my question is this....Are there any dustbins along the trail? An Englishman doesn't like to carry his rubbish along with him if at all possible. if the answer is no, is it acceptable to carefully place your garbage in someone else's pack while they are sleeping? Someone who is a strong advocate of such things obviously? Thanks in advance!

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 15:12
is it acceptable to carefully place your garbage in someone else's pack while they are sleeping?

Try this and report back with pictures

hikernutcasey
01-21-2013, 15:25

Yes, please do!

Chuckie V
01-21-2013, 15:31
Are there any dustbins along the trail? An Englishman doesn't like to carry his rubbish along with him if at all possible.

I learned this about the English on my recent Pennine Way trek; it seemed there was litter lining the route, though often times it had been carefully stuffed between rocks (even on Hadrian's Wall and other Roman ruins). But the litter did serve one advantage in that it helped me find my way through the moors and all those nasty bogs! I say to give your tactic a shot while others are sleeping; it'll add some much needed spice to your walk!

:)

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 15:36

I will be in the same area, about the same time, going the same direction. I will be carrying my canon slr xsi. I will supply the pictures if this is attempted. I suspect if this was attempted, one might be stripped of all clothes and sacrificed to the black flies.

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 15:56
I will be in the same area, about the same time, going the same direction. I will be carrying my canon slr xsi. I will supply the pictures if this is attempted. I suspect if this was attempted, one might be stripped of all clothes and sacrificed to the black flies.

I can tell that some extra stealth and cunning will need to come into play....I will be looking for the guy with the Canon dsi...shouldn't be too difficult to spot! :)

fins1838
01-21-2013, 16:05
You're hilarious. Funniest thing I've read on here in awhile. Oh wait; you're being serious.

joe cool
01-21-2013, 16:05
hello fur queue try this on me and you find out what I do to you do not be stupid and do that put your rubbish in a seperate plastic bag and when you can dump it in a garbage can . I tell you you wont make any friend wiht your idea just a suggestion

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 16:07
hello fur queue try this on me and you find out what I do to you do not be stupid and do that put your rubbish in a seperate plastic bag and when you can dump it in a garbage can . I tell you you wont make any friend wiht your idea just a suggestion
Oh relax......

Stir Fry
01-21-2013, 16:13
This need to be in the hiker humor section

gizzy bear
01-21-2013, 16:25
bad trolling

Rasty
01-21-2013, 16:31
A proper Englishman would have a servant carry his refuse.:)

weary
01-21-2013, 16:32
You'll find a bit of dust in Maine, especially when rains are scarce, but no bins for either dust or even general hiker trash. A few towns have public trash bins, but most of the small towns that the trail goes through don't. Your best bet is to find a friendly store with a trash bucket outside. Be prepared to fight if a fellow hiker finds you rummaging through their pack, whether you are removing or depositing things. It violates current hiker rules about leaving no trace, and going light. MATC assigns a maintainer to each trail section and shelter with orders to carry out any trash left behind by hikers. Knowing this a few hikers leave their trash at shelters. But violators quickly become known and face potential arrest for violating Maine's litter laws.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 16:56
I can tell that some extra stealth and cunning will need to come into play....I will be looking for the guy with the Canon dsi...shouldn't be too difficult to spot! :)

I won't be hard to spot. I will be the guy with a stringer of trout in one hand and cup of coffee in the other. Stealth will be difficult. I grew up in these woods. I hunted her game, trapped her fur, and ate from her streams. Some flat lander from away won't succeed in sneaking up on me in my back yard. Litterers beware.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 17:00
This need to be in the hiker humor section

I have to believe he is kidding. That is why I have replied the way I have. If he isn't, he won't survive on the trail. He might just be trying to stir the pot. Either way, he's joking or a joke.

peakbagger
01-21-2013, 17:38
Hard to take someone serious with a forum name like that.

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 17:50
You'll find a bit of dust in Maine, especially when rains are scarce, but no bins for either dust or even general hiker trash. A few towns have public trash bins, but most of the small towns that the trail goes through don't. Your best bet is to find a friendly store with a trash bucket outside. Be prepared to fight if a fellow hiker finds you rummaging through their pack, whether you are removing or depositing things. It violates current hiker rules about leaving no trace, and going light. MATC assigns a maintainer to each trail section and shelter with orders to carry out any trash left behind by hikers. Knowing this a few hikers leave their trash at shelters. But violators quickly become known and face potential arrest for violating Maine's litter laws.

Do you have a list of the "current hiker rules"?

Karma13
01-21-2013, 17:55
A droll troll, sending a big "Fur Queue" to WB.

But in a funny way.

JAK
01-21-2013, 17:58
Nothing worse than going to use a tree phone and finding some Englishmans shoved some rubbish in the change dispenser.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 18:06
A droll troll, sending a big "Fur Queue" to WB.

But in a funny way.

I am not convinced that he is real either. I figure if he is trying to have fun at our expense, why not return the favor. If he is just having fun, we should too. If he is truly ignorant, I don't have the heart to give any serious admonishment to someone this far detached from reality.

Rasty
01-21-2013, 18:30
I am not convinced that he is real either. I figure if he is trying to have fun at our expense, why not return the favor. If he is just having fun, we should too. If he is truly ignorant, I don't have the heart to give any serious admonishment to someone this far detached from reality.

I think he is real. His first posts were normal. Or this could be a trick to confuse us on his troll status.

snowblind
01-21-2013, 18:52
An Englishman, from New Hampshire? Perhaps he was cast out from the Queens land, and is now a vagabond.

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 19:17
An Englishman, from New Hampshire? Perhaps he was cast out from the Queens land, and is now a vagabond.

Moved here last May....born and bred in Shakespeare country, the Midlands.

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 19:26
Came here voluntarily also, unlike many of your forefathers and those you are descended from. :)

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 19:29
I like this guy:cool:

Don H
01-21-2013, 19:51
Came here voluntarily also, unlike many of your forefathers and those you are descended from. :)

Piers is that you?

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 19:53

Your pack list.please post it.we need to know if your a real hiker.also stare into your screen so we can do a retina scan.

Rasty
01-21-2013, 20:03

Your pack list.please post it.we need to know if your a real hiker.also stare into your screen so we can do a retina scan.

And medical records for knee, ankle or foot injuries.

imscotty
01-21-2013, 20:05
Now say the OP's Name fast three times.

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 20:17
And medical records for knee, ankle or foot injuries.
there will be a quiz at the end of this thread of 20 questions regarding proper LNT.with a 90% passing grade you will be given the correct answer to your question, which is of course, no you cant do that.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 20:27

I descend from Thomas Rogers, Stephen Hopkins, and Richard Warren. Perhaps you have heard of their boat. 3 of my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War. One was on board the Unity which took the Margaretta in the 1st naval battle of that war. 4 fought in the Civil War. My family crossed the pond a long time ago and voluntarily. What took you so long?

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 20:29
there will be a quiz at the end of this thread of 20 questions regarding proper LNT.with a 90% passing grade you will be given the correct answer to your question, which is of course, no you cant do that.

A little help may be needed. You assume he knows what the acronym LNT stands for.

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 20:31
A little help may be needed. You assume he knows what the acronym LNT stands for.
well he better hope he loves new testament

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 20:33
well he better hope he loves new testament

One down. Now help him with HYOH.

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 20:34
We are heading South from Maine in June or July, we plan to hike the Maine section...my question is this....Are there any dustbins along the trail? An Englishman doesn't like to carry his rubbish along with him if at all possible. if the answer is no, is it acceptable to carefully place your garbage in someone else's pack while they are sleeping? Someone who is a strong advocate of such things obviously? Thanks in advance!
just so you know, we're not crazy about carrying our own trash either. thats what british servants are for:)

bfayer
01-21-2013, 20:39

And how soon before Scotland Yard comes looking for you for being a litterbug back home?

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 20:41
One down. Now help him with HYOH.the beginning of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDedUcmvgL8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDedUcmvgL8

silver?

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 20:48
What a labyrinth it is navigating opinions to accumulate a decent gear list...What one man swears by another has suffered a near death experience from! I am totally new to the whole mullarkey...and I have to buy two of everything but I think we are doing quite well and should have a base weight of around ten or eleven pounds, although, I am prepared to be shocked when we actually weigh everything...We haven't got as far as trail ethics yet...I'm sure most of it is common sense...surely nobody would object to the offering of freshly picked wild flowers to any fair maidens we encounter along the way would they?

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 20:51
the beginning of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDedUcmvgL8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDedUcmvgL8

silver?

Har!! Ain't no tripping you up is there?

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 20:54
What a labyrinth it is navigating opinions to accumulate a decent gear list...What one man swears by another has suffered a near death experience from! I am totally new to the whole mullarkey...and I have to buy two of everything but I think we are doing quite well and should have a base weight of around ten or eleven pounds, although, I am prepared to be shocked when we actually weigh everything...We haven't got as far as trail ethics yet...I'm sure most of it is common sense...surely nobody would object to the offering of freshly picked wild flowers to any fair maidens we encounter along the way would they?

Make sure you pack lots of cotton and remember shiny leaves of 3 are the bees knees.

Seriously though: No matter what you pack or do, someone will tell you that you are dead wrong. HYOH silver.

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 21:08
Make sure you pack lots of cotton and remember shiny leaves of 3 are the bees knees.

Seriously though: No matter what you pack or do, someone will tell you that you are dead wrong. HYOH silver.

We are immune to the ivys and oaks...so far anyway. I'm still toying with packing some ultralight micro fishing gear...we love to fish...and can catch if there is any...can't beat a fresh trout for breakfast!.. but we will have to wait for a few shorter hikes to see how it all works together...would love to take my dslr as well but really can't justify the weight (and to some extent the babysitting) at this point...am toying with some of the more hardy and lightweight options...

atmilkman
01-21-2013, 21:12
I can't believe ya'll forgot the trail ya ran down along the Mississippi last time you were here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_iRIcxsz0

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 21:16
We are immune to the ivys and oaks...so far anyway. I'm still toying with packing some ultralight micro fishing gear...we love to fish...and can catch if there is any...can't beat a fresh trout for breakfast!.. but we will have to wait for a few shorter hikes to see how it all works together...would love to take my dslr as well but really can't justify the weight (and to some extent the babysitting) at this point...am toying with some of the more hardy and lightweight options...
pack in some mushy peas

HikerMom58
01-21-2013, 21:18

Sure do hope you have an online trail journal while you hike, pictures will make it even better!!:D

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 21:20
Sure do hope you have an online trail journal while you hike, pictures will make it even better!!:D

I am a photographer....so I hope so too.

bfayer
01-21-2013, 21:22
...We haven't got as far as trail ethics yet...I'm sure most of it is common sense...surely nobody would object to the offering of freshly picked wild flowers to any fair maidens we encounter along the way would they?

Sorry but you need to be careful with that too. Some rare wildflowers are protected in some states. For example, I believe the Showy Pink Lady Slipper is protected in New Jersey. Although if you stick to the AT, you will not have to worry, other hikers have made sure you will never have the chance to see one.

The bottom line is, leave it better than you found it, if you pack it in pack it out, follow the golden rule and respect others. Easy as pie.

HikerMom58
01-21-2013, 21:22
I am a photographer....so I hope so too.

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!! :banana

Oh yeah... true dat. Don't mess with the Lady Slipper or the Jack in the pulpit..they are protected. :) Great advice bfayer.. Fur Queue is going to have a BLAST! :)

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2013, 21:23
A proper Englishman would have a servant carry his refuse.:)

If you have a Sherpa carry your blue bag , you must be an Englishman!

ChinMusic
01-21-2013, 21:36
Garbage?

Great alternative 90s band. Especially like "Only Happy When It Rains"

slow mind
01-21-2013, 21:43
Can you freeze dry a spotted dick?

hikerboy57
01-21-2013, 21:43
Garbage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keUi5ut5EGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keUi5ut5EGw

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 21:45

The possibilities are getting better by the minute. I can see it now. Covered in poison ivy rash and black fly bites as he is dragged away in handcuffs for littering while screaming, "They would never do this to me across the pond".

Sarcasm the elf
01-21-2013, 21:51
Garbage?

Dang! Hikerboy beat me to it!

This is by far my favorite song of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTWeinzGSn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTWeinzGSn4

Fur Queue
01-21-2013, 21:58
The possibilities are getting better by the minute. I can see it now. Covered in poison ivy rash and black fly bites as he is dragged away in handcuffs for littering while screaming, "They would never do this to me across the pond".

One of the first things I purchased was a head net...apparently they also double up as a coffee filter, a pot scrubber, a loofah, a sock drying bag, a stuff sack and a large water bag carrier....it's a good job we prefer tea.

BirdBrain
01-21-2013, 22:00
One of the first things I purchased was a head net...apparently they also double up as a coffee filter, a pot scrubber, a loofah, a sock drying bag, a stuff sack and a large water bag carrier....it's a good job we prefer tea.

Note to self. If I meet Fur Queue on the trail in July, don't take offered coffee or tea if he tries to share. Good thinking though. Multi-use items are good. Not sure I would brew coffee with my loofah though.

daddytwosticks
01-22-2013, 08:18
Just burn all your trash in the fire rings in front of the shelters. If you do a search, you'll get all sorts of tips about this technique.

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 08:22
What on earth is going on with these 'elite' hikers? The ones that come rushing past you on a trail? Why are they in such a hurry, what purpose does it serve?...and if speed is of the essence why don't they just get the bus or drive instead??

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 08:32
Just burn all your trash in the fire rings in front of the shelters. If you do a search, you'll get all sorts of tips about this technique.

What else are fire rings for?! Probably best to wait until there is nobody around to burn any plastics though?Yes?

Rasty
01-22-2013, 08:57
What on earth is going on with these 'elite' hikers? The ones that come rushing past you on a trail? Why are they in such a hurry, what purpose does it serve?...and if speed is of the essence why don't they just get the bus or drive instead??

You just gave yourself away on that post.

BirdBrain
01-22-2013, 09:06

Yup. Agreed. I have no worry about meeting someone who makes coffee in their hair net now. I wonder how many other sites he is having fun on. He is having fun and after all, there is nothing wrong with that.

Rasty
01-22-2013, 09:09

Yup. Agreed. I have no worry about meeting someone who makes coffee in their hair net now. I wonder how many other sites he is having fun on. He is having fun and after all, there is nothing wring with that.

Do you think he "wring" his coffee out!

BirdBrain
01-22-2013, 09:11

Touche. I corrected it, but not fast enough. What a moran I am.

Rasty
01-22-2013, 09:17

Touche. I corrected it, but not fast enough. What a moran I am.

You got to be fast around here!

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 09:19
What a moran I am.

It's moron actually...

BirdBrain
01-22-2013, 09:21
It's moron actually...

That is the joke. I misspelled it on purpose. There is another thread that covers that.

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 09:28
That is the joke. I misspelled it on purpose. There is another thread that covers that.

Oh...eye sea.

hauptman
02-02-2013, 12:51
Hold trash until you go into town to resupply. The local truck will be happy to process you trash.