PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Winter Backpacking Tips?

swantekkie
01-21-2013, 15:50
I am planning a backcountry trip to the Carter Notch area on Presidents day weekend, and i know everyone has thier own trade secrets for winter camping. I was just curious what are some of peoples favorite winter backpacking tips for a fun and safe trip? How do you cut ounces, whats your favorite cold weather stove, etc?

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 15:53
I am planning a backcountry trip to the Carter Notch area on Presidents day weekend, and i know everyone has thier own trade secrets for winter camping. I was just curious what are some of peoples favorite winter backpacking tips for a fun and safe trip? How do you cut ounces, whats your favorite cold weather stove, etc?
Was just up at the hut on Friday night. You will need microspikes and snowshoes. More snow is coming tonite and tomorrow. You can cook at the Hut if you are staying there. I dont really worry so much about cutting weight in winter. What trails do you plan on using?

fins1838
01-21-2013, 15:55
Under Armour cold weather gear underwear. Love the stuff. Never been cold in it. Hot yes. Cold no.

Feral Bill
01-21-2013, 16:01
1. Wool
2. Down
3. Mickey Mouse boots

Chaco Taco
01-21-2013, 16:13
Folks up here are pretty big on the 10 essentials, esp if you are rescued and the issue of paying for it arises
http://www.hikesafe.com/

RedBeerd
01-21-2013, 16:52
Pee in a bottle..too cold outside.

ChinMusic
01-21-2013, 16:57
Unlace and loosen those boots/shoes when you take them off. It is much easier to put those frozen things on in the morning.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2013, 17:03
Pony up the 30 bucks (or what ever) and stay at the hut. Much better then trying to find a place to camp in the snow up there. You will need a proper sleeping bag as the bunk house is not heated. Trying to go past the hut and onto the ridge line will likely require proper artic, alpine gear.

swantekkie
01-22-2013, 19:43
What trails do you plan on using? Most likely going to take the 19 mile brook trail.

fredmugs
01-22-2013, 19:52
I stayed there a couple of Octobers ago and the caretaker said he could go more than a week with nobody showing up. Be careful.

I don't usually hike in the winter but my favorite cold weather tip is to boil a quart of water, stick it in a nalgene bottle, and place that in your bag. Keeps your warm until you fall asleep and you have drinkable water in the morning.

Papa D
01-22-2013, 20:07
Take a nalgene bottle - boil water - fill bottle and be super careful not to cross-thread when you put the lid on. Put it in a sock and sleep with it down in your bag - - wonderful - - it'll still be warmish come morning.

It also pays to underestimate sleeping bags - - if it's going to be in the teens, I use a 0 degree bag. If it's going to be colder (single digits), I go with a -25. Being warm and super comfortable never sucks

fredmugs
01-22-2013, 20:10
Take a nalgene bottle - boil water - fill bottle and be super careful not to cross-thread when you put the lid on. Put it in a sock and sleep with it down in your bag - - wonderful - - it'll still be warmish come morning.

It also pays to underestimate sleeping bags - - if it's going to be in the teens, I use a 0 degree bag. If it's going to be colder (single digits), I go with a -25. Being warm and super comfortable never sucks

What he said.

swantekkie
01-23-2013, 18:35

One of my favorites, its like a tiny warm snuggle buddy.

swantekkie
01-23-2013, 18:39
Pony up the 30 bucks (or what ever) and stay at the hut. Much better then trying to find a place to camp in the snow up there.

Going to setup a backcountry fortress with the Black Diamond Mega Light.

Mountain Mike
01-23-2013, 20:00
Pre-cut all your food. Fats help maintain your metabolism, but a solid frozen hunk of cheese or summer sausage will take a saw to cut. Cut it down to small bite size pieces you can thaw in your mouth. It helps if you can keep them inside your jacket. Also look for foods packed in oil instead of water. They add calories and are less likely to freeze. To keep food from freezing in camp bury it in snow.

That candle lantern that's to heavy to carry in the summer is great for those long winter nights & adds some warmth to your tent cutting down on condensation.

Make sure to stay hydrated. You will lose a lot of moisture just by breathing the cold air. Pack extra fuel to melt snow for water & always start with a little water in your pot to prevent scorching. Pack plenty of beverages, but try & stay away from caffeine. Hot Chocolate & Jello are nice warms up along with cup of soups.

Avoid sweating. Peel layers off as you warm up hiking & have them handy for when you stop. You want to keep as dry as possible.

Mountain Mike
01-23-2013, 20:05
Going to setup a backcountry fortress with the Black Diamond Mega Light.
I love my megamid for winter camping! I dig out trenches to make two sleeping bunks & a table in the center. One hint is to have something to keep the pole from sinking into the snow. Bring some extra cheap twine to make dead men to anchor it.

swantekkie
01-23-2013, 21:24
That candle lantern that's to heavy to carry in the summer is great for those long winter nights & adds some warmth to your tent cutting down on condensation.

My buddy and i are both planning on using them on our up coming trip, hopefully we can bring it up a few degrees inside.

JAK
01-23-2013, 21:43
Pace yourself so you can stay active all day and still have energy to stay warm at night. Have either a bullet proof hunker-down strategy where you have enough clothes and food and sleep gear to remain in one place for a prolonged period, or multiple exit route strategies including heated huts or cabins, or both. This will allow you to be a little more aggressive in your activities, like playing in the snow practicing building snow shelters, or travelling farther and faster if conditions are good, and still have a contingency plan should you get injured or conditions change which drastically changes how fast you can travel. If there are trees or shrubs, be prepared to burn them if only for an emergency. Don't depend on being able to do anything in cold wet weather that you haven't practiced in cold wet weather. Practice close to an exit point or heated cabin.

mtnkngxt
01-23-2013, 21:47
Stay home drink beer wait for spring.

JAK
01-23-2013, 21:56
I don't mean burn the entire tree or shrub, I mean bring a saw or hatchet should you need to. Another tip is to carry the bigger bic lighter for cold weather and keep it warm. Small ones to hard to use with cold hands. Practice making tea when you can to stay warm and practice your cold weather fire skills. Use the lighter to light a candle. Use a candle to light your tinder and kindling. Carry spare lighter AND an alternative fire starter and practice with it also.

Smooth & Wasabi
01-23-2013, 22:37
Wood fired tenting! Nothing is so luxurious, for a couple pounds and either MYOG hours or several hundred dollars your mega-light can be cozy as home. (check out the blog bedrock and paradox or the Hill People Gear wed site)

More easily accomplished:

a bit of cheese cloth or the like and a rubber band to strain water made from snow

Freezer bag meals using your insulated mug as a cozy. When it is cold simpler is better

Though I only have a simmerlite and whisperlite I would love to experiment with an inverted cannister stove like the new windpro. I hate priming when it is cold. I also just read about taking a small squirt bottle of alcohol to prime white gas stoves I will definately be trying this.

Tinker
01-24-2013, 00:11

I carry a stainless bottle in place of a Nalgene (especially in winter). I carry it in a cozy on my hip belt, which also keeps it from giving off too much heat too quickly when I use it in my sleeping bag. I have a 40 oz. Kleen Cantene (or however they spell it - the name wore off long ago). The bottle is full of dents which would've been cracks or a full shatter had it happened in cold weather with a Nalgene - plus, I can put the bottle directly on my stove to heat water - no need to take the cookware out. I almost always have a fire when I'm with others, so before bed, I fill the bottle, set it next to the fire until it begins to bubble, and just before bed, remove the cozy from my pack's hip belt, insert the bottle, and go to bed. The warm water in the morning helps me save fuel if we don't keep the fire going and I have to use my stove.

Alligator
01-24-2013, 00:57
I recommend using the snow to keep your beer cold. 19188

evansprater
01-24-2013, 01:06
hot chocolate!!!

swantekkie
01-25-2013, 00:44
Stay home drink beer wait for spring.

Thats no fun. Winter camp, whiskey instead of beer

SevenPines
01-25-2013, 02:20
for winter trips, we usually rent PATC cabins like Jones Mountain pictured here. we've been proud members for years and some the more remote cabins like this one can be done as a backpacking trip except you dont need a tent...just lots of good food and libation!

surfnturk
01-25-2013, 07:43
try instant hot choclate with a shot of peppermint schnaps. Taste exactly like a girl scout mint cookie.

JAK
01-25-2013, 10:01
Not going to touch that one. I have a restraining order.
I am not allowed within 100m of girl scout jokes.

JAK
01-25-2013, 10:04
Freaking cold today. Not as cold as yesterday but ALOT more windy. -22 F Wind Chill.

It was so cold I had to run the paper route, twice, just to stay warm.

stuthetraveler
01-25-2013, 11:18
Definitely take a warmer sleeping bag than you think the temperature will be. I'm heading out this weekend and it's supposed to be in the low 20's at night. My sleeping bag is a 0 degree bag and that should keep me plenty warm. Nothing worse than being cold at night and not being able to warm up.

Dogwood
01-25-2013, 13:36
Most likely going to take the 19 mile brook trail.

This is pretty much a one way ride. It's all uphill or downhil depending on how you do it. Obviously, with snow/ice on the trail, I would go dowhill from the crest, AND watch my footing CAREFULLY! It's not called 19 mile brook for nothing. Water crosses or is next to the trail in many places. I would stay at Carter Notch Hut too. I've been there twice and NO hut keeper was there either time. Bring toe warmers! It's gonna probably be COLD. Add water and wind and the exposure increases. Add snow more than 6 in deep and shoes are probably in order or at least microspikes for some of the steeper ascents/descents.

Ratchet down your mileage per day if snowshoeing or skinning in skis!

HYDRATE! Folks sometimes forget to drink H2O when it's cold!

Dogwood
01-25-2013, 13:45
If sheltering outside the hut, and if not wet, wear or keep your hat, gloves, etc inside you sleeping bag. I usually don't sleep with all my water inside my bag even on COLD winter treks but do have a TIGHT FITTING capped Nalgene(no leaks please) I'll warm some water in and tuck into my sleeping bag. I'll warp my platypus in a pack cover oe something similar and insulate it from the ground with maps, a trail book, my food sack, etc.

Theosus
01-25-2013, 14:29
Pee in a bottle..too cold outside.

Second! Getting into and out of the damn hammock, and getting back in and getting warm, is the biggest issue for me.
It never fails - I wake up groggy at midnight and have to do the sleepy pee-stagger across the camping area.

Peeing in a bottle would solve this issue in a big way. Plus now you have a bottle of warm liquid to keep you warm.

I keep a pack of those hand warmer things, just in case i get too cold. Slap them on the inner thigh by the femoral artery.

Sleep in your underwear. It's as warm and comfortable as you will get. When you wake up in the morning, stuff your cold clothes in your bag with you for a few minutes.
They will warm up and then you can get out and put on warm clothes.

surfnturk
01-25-2013, 14:55
Not going to touch that one. I have a restraining order.
I am not allowed within 100m of girl scout jokes.AID
I said "Taste exactly like a girl scout mint cookie', NOT, "Taste exactly like a girl scout named cookie."

swantekkie
01-28-2013, 18:07
Wood fired tenting! Nothing is so luxurious, for a couple pounds and either MYOG hours or several hundred dollars your mega-light can be cozy as home.

What kind of stove do you use? I have been looking at the Biolite, any thoughts?

Smooth & Wasabi
01-28-2013, 22:44
I have a Kifaru though if buying new I would most likely go with one from Titanium Goat. The Biolite stove will not work in a tent because it lacks a stove pipe. You will have to modify your tent or pay someone to do so by adding a stove jack(available from Titanium Goat) if you choose to go this route. There is certainly some fuss factor in the gathering and processing of fuel so you want to be sure this system matches your trip goals. If I am looking at covering lots of ground and moving for the majority of the daylight than I would tend to forgo the comfort of the wood stove and opt for the easier, simpler, and lighter option of using gas. However if mileage goals are more modest or I am setting up a base camp from which to ski or hike than the weight and fuss of the stove are well worth it. Enjoy your trip.