PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Maine.

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 10:02
Has anybody got any information or experience of the fishing opportunities SOBO in Maine in the summer? I consider myself a good angler and will catch if conditions are right but am unsure as to how far (if at all) I would have to veer from the trail for good angling spots? Given good conditions could the fishing be relied upon as an additional food source? How often will i come across fishable waters? Could the benefits outweigh the disadvantages? Any tips for ultralight ultra compact spin type gear would be much appreciated also. We will be in no hurry and I know I will need a license. Thanks in advance!

peakbagger
01-22-2013, 10:34
Plenty of fishing spots in Maine along the AT especially in the first few days but I expect the novelty will wear out quickly. It would probably make sense to send the gear home at RT 17 as south of there, you are mostly on ridges with steep climbs up and down to various small streams that are publically accessible by car. There are still opportunites in this section but there are fewer and farther between. Arguably sending the gear home in Eustis is a good bet as from there on you have a 3 days stretch of ridge line (but a few nice spots like orbeton stream and the pond just after Saddleback) and a couple of nice ponds between Rt 4 and RT 17. Most of the shelters have been relocated up on the ridgeline so if you plan to fish in the evening you are going to be camping near road crossings which is technically not legal in most of maine (camping at designated shelters or campsite only). If you really want to stretch it, maybe ship it home from Andover , but dont carry it into the Mahoosucs and the whites unless it does not stick out of your pack at all and you dont mind carrying the weight.

BirdBrain
01-22-2013, 10:42
Has anybody got any information or experience of the fishing opportunities SOBO in Maine in the summer?

Yes, I do.

BirdBrain
01-22-2013, 11:06
And to answer your next question: No, I won't. :)