PDA

View Full Version : drugs and alcohol

Mountainman95
01-22-2013, 11:06
i was wondering if they are constant on the trail....just rying to stay awayy
i heard moonshine was readily available

nitewalker
01-22-2013, 11:14
they are everywhere in life. i have seen joint smokers and alchohol drinkers but that is it. nothing hardcore and the potheads and alchys were far and few on the trail in my experience. then again u are who u hang with...im not a drinker so im clueless on the shine but im sure it is around......"tickle"

Jeff
01-22-2013, 11:23
There are at least a dozen hiker hostels on the AT with a NO drinking - NO drugs policy. And you need to strongly encourage those who ignore the policy to STOP...especially at church hostels.

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2013, 11:34
its everywhere, not just the AT - I get reminded of all the DUI's & heavy Drug users are more than 60% of the prison population by a Prison Guard Dog handler in the Delaware County system. Having gone to sentencing court several times, its all 2 year sentences after plea bargain and 30-55 people a day, for meth,pot,DUI,Coke, etc.... and that is one court in one county. Prison is a self serving employment money maker - making lawyers and judges rich, and a billion dollar industry here in the USA.

Hosaphone
01-22-2013, 11:56
its everywhere, not just the AT - I get reminded of all the DUI's & heavy Drug users are more than 60% of the prison population by a Prison Guard Dog handler in the Delaware County system. Having gone to sentencing court several times, its all 2 year sentences after plea bargain and 30-55 people a day, for meth,pot,DUI,Coke, etc.... and that is one court in one county. Prison is a self serving employment money maker - making lawyers and judges rich, and a billion dollar industry here in the USA.

It kind of blew my mind a bit when I realized prisons are businesses.

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 12:12

Hospitals too....

Train Wreck
01-22-2013, 12:24
You've posted your age as 17 yrs old, meaning you're underage to drink, and the drugs are illegal anyway. If you are mature enough to hike the trail on your own and want to avoid being involved with either, you will figure out ways and be resourceful enough to handle situations that may arise where drugs or alcohol are present. I seriously doubt that moonshine will be that freely available unless a person goes looking for it.

flemdawg1
01-22-2013, 13:02
There are occasional beer/whiskey drinkers and pot smokers at shelters. Nothing really hardcore nor rowdy partying. If a lil bit of that really offends you, you might reconsider whether you should stay at shelters.

Sarcasm the elf
01-22-2013, 13:05
i was wondering if they are constant on the trail....just rying to stay awayyi heard moonshine was readily availableYou will find that this is less of a problem than you might expect. Some people do drink and smoke pot, however The vast majority of hikers are respectful of others and fairly low key about their vices while on the trail.

snowblind
01-22-2013, 13:59
Yes, there is quite a bit of both on trail. Alcohol being the lesser of the two from my experience. That being said, those in said culture of recreational drug use, do not just offer blindly, and though you will likely be offered a smoke, I imagine it will only happen a handful of times throughout the entire trail.

More likely, unless you go looking for it, you will likely seldom come across it in fact. Such as it is in city life...

ChuckBrown
01-22-2013, 17:29
possession of one ounce or less of marijuana has been decriminalized in the state of Massachusetts..300 dollar fine and confiscation. So you might find a few on the trail in massachusetts. And in Vermont anyone who picks you up hitchhiking is usually smoking

polechar
01-22-2013, 17:41
And in Vermont anyone who picks you up hitchhiking is usually smoking

I thought this was pretty funny, but you are right.

nitewalker
01-22-2013, 17:42
possession of one ounce or less of marijuana has been decriminalized in the state of Massachusetts..300 dollar fine and confiscation. So you might find a few on the trail in massachusetts. And in Vermont anyone who picks you up hitchhiking is usually smoking

connecticut did the same thing decriminalizing it....

Deer Hunter
01-22-2013, 18:04
There are occasional beer/whiskey drinkers and pot smokers at shelters. Nothing really hardcore nor rowdy partying. If a lil bit of that really offends you, you might reconsider whether you should stay at shelters.

Shelters are the only places I have seen it so flemdawg1's advice is good based on my experiences.

SCRUB HIKER
01-22-2013, 18:14
An overblown concern, as pretty much everyone has said already. Tobacco is the most ubiquitous and noxious drug on the trail anyway.

If you're social with the people around you, you can sort of figure out in advance who's who and where drug and alcohol activity might be happening. Consequently, you can either avoid it or join in, depending. I operated both ways on my hike. Most of the time I wanted to avoid it, sometimes I felt like going into town with a solid crowd and doing some rippin' and tearin'.

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 18:20
I don't partake anymore, but yeah it's there. Don't care if someone burns around me or drinks, it's not a problem, but drunks will find me going for a walk.

prain4u
01-22-2013, 19:00
Anyone ever hear of someone being "busted" by the Feds for using (or possessing) drugs on federally controlled portions of the trail?

In addition to being a pastor, I am a certified drug and alcohol counselor. I have worked at places that had a contract to provide counseling and drug testing services to folks who were on probation with the Federal Courts. Every now and then we would get someone who was on federal probation simply because they had smoked some weed (or did other drugs) on federally controlled property such as when visiting friends at a military installation or at a National Park or National Historic site. The federal court judges tended to take drug use--including cannabis use--MUCH more seriously than most local/county courts did.

Does any of that type of "federal involvement" ever happen on the AT?

WingedMonkey
01-22-2013, 19:17
Anyone ever hear of someone being "busted" by the Feds for using (or possessing) drugs on federally controlled portions of the trail?

In addition to being a pastor, I am a certified drug and alcohol counselor. I have worked at places that had a contract to provide counseling and drug testing services to folks who were on probation with the Federal Courts. Every now and then we would get someone who was on federal probation simply because they had smoked some weed (or did other drugs) on federally controlled property such as when visiting friends at a military installation or at a National Park or National Historic site. The federal court judges tended to take drug use--including cannabis use--MUCH more seriously than most local/county courts did.

The National Forest law enforcement officer gave me a ticket to mail payment to pay, or an option to go to Federal Court. Which was no where near where the incident occurred.

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2013, 19:22

You made my point IT is a huge business.

Papa D
01-22-2013, 19:29

Believe it or not, there are private prison lobbying groups that lobby for stricter possession laws and reduction in rights of the accused such that they can get more "customers" - it's a complete shame and absolutely true. It's also a very, very racist system.

Papa D
01-22-2013, 19:30
Hospitals too....

ya think? :rolleyes:

Papa D
01-22-2013, 19:34
Marijuana users on the trail are mostly as they should be - - it is rarely if ever smoked in the presence of anyone not known to either be another pot smoker or someone that is known to be cool with it. If you are not cool with it, it is unlikely that you will have any experience with it. You might of course catch a whiff of it somewhere but certainly not in an offensive way. A lot of hikers (including me sometimes) carry a little flask of whisky for a sip in the evening - - the hard drinking really happens in the bars in trail towns (or occasionally in shelters really near roads on weekend nights by locals which should be avoided).

tiptoe
01-22-2013, 19:44
You will see and hear all kinds of things on the trail, but you are not required to participate/partake if you don't care to. Make your own decisions, and hike your own hike.

ChuckBrown
01-22-2013, 20:26

In 2000 there was a story going around ....in 1999 someone was smokin weed in the Fontana Hilton shelter, a weekender, with family , called TVA police and they came with a drug dog . One hiker was arrested.

hikingirl
01-22-2013, 21:11
Moutainman, You are at freel will on the trail just like anywhere in your life. If you are going to have a problem with others doing what they feel like doing then you should stay home. But you hike your hike and are free to be around who ever you want.

Fur Queue
01-22-2013, 21:30
ya think? :rolleyes:

It is quite a shock when you come from somewhere where health care is a right....

hikingirl
01-22-2013, 21:37
So do you need to donate money to have any input on this website??

WingedMonkey
01-22-2013, 22:01
In 2000 there was a story going around ....in 1999 someone was smokin weed in the Fontana Hilton shelter, a weekender, with family , called TVA police and they came with a drug dog . One hiker was arrested.

As of summer 2012 TVA Police no longer exists. Security is provided by contract personnel.

:p

Papa D
01-22-2013, 22:07
It is quite a shock when you come from somewhere where health care is a right....

it certainly is a right in the USA now. It just needs more affirmation and implementation.

Astro
01-22-2013, 22:14

Would not need near as many of them if we still made prisoners work. They also could be generating money from the prison labor, instead of costing tax payers money.

Chaco Taco
01-22-2013, 23:17
Marijuana users on the trail are mostly as they should be - - it is rarely if ever smoked in the presence of anyone not known to either be another pot smoker or someone that is known to be cool with it. If you are not cool with it, it is unlikely that you will have any experience with it. You might of course catch a whiff of it somewhere but certainly not in an offensive way. A lot of hikers (including me sometimes) carry a little flask of whisky for a sip in the evening - - the hard drinking really happens in the bars in trail towns (or occasionally in shelters really near roads on weekend nights by locals which should be avoided).

Ill agree with you to a certain point. During the thru season, especially once you start getting closer to Traildays and after Traildays, the bubble bottlenecks and thats when there are actually issues between "smokers" and non-smokers and the non-drinkers. For the most part, folks are really cool about it and dont really care. But then you get that one guy that ends up yelling at someone. I do agree the with you on the drinking that to mostly happens in town, but again, 1 day outta town and someone has packed out a half gallon of Beam and all hell breaks lose. Just sayin, it happens.

Chaco Taco
01-22-2013, 23:18
So do you need to donate money to have any input on this website??
Speak yo mind girl :D

Papa D
01-22-2013, 23:38
Ill agree with you to a certain point. During the thru season, especially once you start getting closer to Traildays and after Traildays, the bubble bottlenecks and thats when there are actually issues between "smokers" and non-smokers and the non-drinkers. For the most part, folks are really cool about it and dont really care. But then you get that one guy that ends up yelling at someone. I do agree the with you on the drinking that to mostly happens in town, but again, 1 day outta town and someone has packed out a half gallon of Beam and all hell breaks lose. Just sayin, it happens.

oh sure - totally agree - I'm just speaking in generalities - I think the OP wanted to avoid these things - probably not a big problem to do if you're trying.

Papa D
01-22-2013, 23:40
Anyone ever stumbled upon a still - I have - in North Georgia - also taken to one in NC Mtns. - I just happen to have an unopened mason jar of liquor in the kitchen. Fun stuff:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY3_00p180

Alligator
01-23-2013, 00:00

it certainly is a right in the USA now. It just needs more affirmation and implementation.

Don't go sliding into politics folks. Thanks.

Giantsbane
01-23-2013, 00:14
I usually carry a flask and I have a tobacco pipe. But both of those I dont use every day whilst hiking and am definetly not rowdy or in people's faces over it.

Darwin13
01-23-2013, 00:44
i'd say about 97 percent of the hikers ive met on the AT smoke weed. Just like 97 percent of the people I know in college. and home. It is what it is. YOu don't need to stay away from them. Worst case scenario is someone asks you if you want to smoke. If you are still susceptible to peer pressure than you shouldn't be walking 2200 miles alone in the woods.

mtnkngxt
01-23-2013, 06:13
I don't smoke, but if someone is sharing peanut butter cookies, well that's a different road to walk down.

EriKelly
01-23-2013, 21:43
97% of hikers have at least smoked before so they are much more tolerant to the fact and dont discriminate against it

hikerboy57
01-23-2013, 21:51
well it seems that 97% of the country are potheads, im sure a very accurate stat.
i think the younger, the more tolerant of weed. but i would say more than half of hikers over age 45 do not smoke and are less tolerant.
ive found most users to be discreet, and its another reason anyway not to stay at shelters.you run into it, you dont like it, just keep moving on

coach lou
01-23-2013, 22:07
I don't smoke, but if someone is sharing peanut butter cookies, well that's a different road to walk down.

I would say that of those 97%, they would offer you the weed before they offer their peanut butter cookies.................just sayin':D

Del Q
01-23-2013, 22:10
Well, I heard that a hiker from Denver thru hiked last year and planted weed from GA to ME

Regardless of the state laws, from what I heard there will be plenty for those that wish to partake.

But it gets better. he supposidly met a guy from the show MOONSHINER'S that setup stills, yup, also from GA to ME with AYCD&C spots .........(All You Can Drink & Carry) moonshine stands..........

2013 could prove to be an interesting year

More ZERO days than in recorded history

Q

stranger
01-23-2013, 22:51
Avoid shelters = avoid problems

That's a pretty rock solid AT rule

cliffdiver
01-24-2013, 20:28
Would not need near as many of them if we still made prisoners work. They also could be generating money from the prison labor, instead of costing tax payers money.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44762286/Billions_Behind_Bars_Inside_America039s_Prison_Ind ustry

Not to be argumentative, but in the United States, prisoners always work and make billions for corporations.

Sarcasm the elf
01-24-2013, 21:40
Avoid shelters = avoid problems

That's a pretty rock solid AT rule

Agree.

But nobody stays at the shelters anymore, they're too crowded. :D

lemon b
01-25-2013, 12:13
" We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation" P85 BB

MDSection12
01-25-2013, 12:44
Well whatever was planted last year is dead now...

Dogwood
01-25-2013, 12:59
A lot of folks don't know this but if you walk about 300 yds behind every AT shelter you will find a moonshiner's still, a few empty cups, and a old tin coffee can to leave tips.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 13:01
Agree.

But nobody stays at the shelters anymore, they're too crowded. :DNow That's funny!...gotta love that good American mind set.

kidchill
01-25-2013, 18:40
Unless you're a recovering addict/alcoholic, I would spend your time worrying about other things...just sayin

turtle fast
01-25-2013, 19:02
In reality the problems with alcohol and drugs are not really a huge problem on the trail. Like anywhere else in the USA if you go looking for it you will probably find it if you wanted. I find more problems with the drinkers who trash campsites with empty beer cans.

Chaco Taco
01-25-2013, 19:50
97% of hikers have at least smoked before so they are much more tolerant to the fact and dont discriminate against it
Not quite sure its that high. :o We can certainly hope :-?:D

I really think discretion is important. It is still illegal and we really cannot overlook that fact. If you get caught, thats the chance you take. I also find that there are lots of woods out there. Its also just good to exercise common sense. Dont be a jerk about it and be respectful of each other. If you have a problem with it, say respectfully, that it bothers you. Same for smokers, if you are going to stay in shelters, do not smoke inside the shelters. Do it off in the woods and save yourself the trouble of confrontation. If you dont like it, there are tons of woods and plenty of tent platforms and campsites. Some in really beautiful places where you can do as you please because you will be alone. Weekenders love the tentsites. There are some sweet camp spots in the woods up here.

topshelf
01-25-2013, 20:01

you should read up on privatized prisons...horrifying business procedures, i researched them all last semester, just sickening.

as for drugs and alcohol, most people are unwilling to carry alcohol too far, most likely if someone wants to smoke weed they will ask if its ok, or head out into the woods, if they ask just say youd prefer not.

quilteresq
01-26-2013, 15:36
well it seems that 97% of the country are potheads, im sure a very accurate stat.
i think the younger, the more tolerant of weed. but i would say more than half of hikers over age 45 do not smoke and are less tolerant.
ive found most users to be discreet, and its another reason anyway not to stay at shelters.you run into it, you dont like it, just keep moving on

I don't, but I did back in the day - and I may well turn 60 on the trail. My birthday is in early October, so maybe not. But please don't put me in the category of "less tolerant" with respect to weed use. Raging drunks I have no use for, but weed smokers don't bother me.

Heck, I went to Michigan State, and for part of the time there, it was a $5 fine - it was impossible to have parents visit and not smell it in the dorms.

Another Kevin
01-26-2013, 16:40
It's amazing how many boomers that had hippie habits back in the day have turned into raving prohibitionists, and law&order freaks. "It was all right for me, but these kids need to learn that times are different now!"

Me? I'll smell pot, think, "shucks, none for me!" and move on.

surfnturk
01-26-2013, 16:51
I had a problem with drugs and alcohol the last time i hiked on the AT.
I couldnt find either!

quilteresq
01-26-2013, 19:34
It's amazing how many boomers that had hippie habits back in the day have turned into raving prohibitionists, and law&order freaks. "It was all right for me, but these kids need to learn that times are different now!"

Me? I'll smell pot, think, "shucks, none for me!" and move on.

Yep. Agreed.

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 20:21
I don't, but I did back in the day - and I may well turn 60 on the trail. My birthday is in early October, so maybe not. But please don't put me in the category of "less tolerant" with respect to weed use. Raging drunks I have no use for, but weed smokers don't bother me.

Heck, I went to Michigan State, and for part of the time there, it was a $5 fine - it was impossible to have parents visit and not smell it in the dorms.
oh ive met quite a few of us older folks that either still partake or did and have no problem with it.
listn if you're not being a selfish idiot,youre probably going to get along with everyonejust fine. theres a few jerks in both extremes, both the self centered oblivious to osomeone elses feelings crowd or the self righteous intolerant of everything they dont agree with crowd.but ive always found the mood at shelters and sites to be generally mutually respectful.

hauptman
02-02-2013, 01:36
I don't do drugs(anymore), but I occasionally take a little nip of good bourbon. Oh, and I also do not drink coffee(or caffeine in general) as it does not go well with my ADHD.

Hot Sauce 2011
02-05-2013, 18:08
Has anybody considered that the OP was either trolling or hoping to hear that weed and booze would be readily available? Lots of good answers, by and large the AT community is one of the most tolerant groups of people you'll meet... and shelters are great when it's raining or snowing- just get there early!

jurahd
02-09-2013, 02:02
Partaking o the holy herb is the best of trail magic, in my experience. I'm 62 and its an honor to share a joint with an AT hiker, on the trail at some lovely vista completely unexpected is a memorable thing, blessed...and seldom encountered. The herb is better than booze for the incidence of meaningful encounters and wise decisioning on the trail.

Train Wreck
02-09-2013, 02:14
Has anybody considered that the OP was either trolling or hoping to hear that weed and booze would be readily available? Lots of good answers, by and large the AT community is one of the most tolerant groups of people you'll meet... and shelters are great when it's raining or snowing- just get there early!

Yes. That was exactly my first thought. I also looked at the OP's listed age, and wondered even more if that was the case.

lemon b
02-09-2013, 10:02
Ain't thst the truth.

JAK
02-09-2013, 10:18
Booze laws are kinda fun to break as long as you are moderate and discrete. Cannabis is fun and safe when grown naturally, but the laws and organized crime and prison systems such as they are make it very unsafe and in my opinion immoral to encourage even moderate use, until they change the laws. Who knows what they out in the stuff today, and why they are putting it in there. If someone grew a little on their back porch and kept it discrete and on their property I think I would be ok with that, but it really isn't fair the way some people go to prison and others win Gold Medals at the Olympics and get to keep them.

Northern Lights
02-09-2013, 12:01
I always carry a flask of either wine or vodka with me. As for the drugs, they are there. I've been offered, but I do not partake. I don't care if anyone else does. To each his/her own.

thebrewguy
02-09-2013, 17:22
"I used to do drugs......I still do, but I used to, too" -Mitch Hedberg

not_possible
02-10-2013, 01:14
I haven't even set foot on the trail, yet still figured it wouldn't be any different than going to a bar or backwoods bon fire...you have the unruly drunken slobs and those that just enjoy a good drink with good company...or smoke...I don't judge. I do enjoy sipping on some apple pie shine on occasion...will probably even stop in Gatlinburg to pick some up from Ole Smoky Moonshine, it's good stuff and legal. That said if I come across drinkers or smokers that aren't oblivious it doesn't bother me. It's the drunks that want to fight or cry and don't know their limit that annoy me. I make my own choices and have no problem with others making theirs so long as they aren't beligerant and directly affecting me.

daddytwosticks
02-10-2013, 12:09
"I used to do drugs......I still do, but I used to, too" -Mitch Hedberg I used to snort coke, but had to quit. The ice cubes kept getting stuck up my nose. :)

88BlueGT
02-11-2013, 16:50
Partaking o the holy herb is the best of trail magic, in my experience. I'm 62 and its an honor to share a joint with an AT hiker, on the trail at some lovely vista completely unexpected is a memorable thing, blessed...and seldom encountered. The herb is better than booze for the incidence of meaningful encounters and wise decisioning on the trail.

I would be honored as well, I hope to see you out some day!

I don't really do much of either (smoke or drink) but I guess if the mood struck, I would partake. I have packed a flask with some brandy in my bag before but I spend my nights stealth camping about 97% of the time... SO, EVEN IF I do get a tad loud, I'm off the path quite a bit. No harm, no foul.

MDSection12
02-11-2013, 17:09

Good post. Maybe I'll see you out there some day. I'm the guy that loves to share with a friendly old soul. :)

Aquaman12
02-12-2013, 16:11
Its just as special to be the one who shares the trail magic! ;)

fins1838
02-12-2013, 16:19
"The way I see it Mr Hand, if I'm here & your here it makes it our time. Nothing like a little feast on OUR time" Jeff Spagoli.

Hairbear
02-13-2013, 00:02
Some are born to sobriety ,others have it inflicted upon them.

thebrewguy
02-13-2013, 09:22
"The way I see it Mr Hand, if I'm here & your here it makes it our time. Nothing like a little feast on OUR time" Jeff Spagoli.

Spagoli? God I hope that was autocorrect and you didn't totally mess up one if the greatest 80s movie characters' names Jeff Spicoli!
"I don't know, I like that Spicoli. In fact I'm gonna write it on the board for all my classes to see, giving you full credit." "All right!"

hikingshoes
02-13-2013, 21:48
I really don't care what anyone does but if there acting crazy due to there weed or drinking,, I'll hike on down the trail and setup camp. Life isn't hard its what you make of it!! HYOH

SunnyWalker
02-17-2013, 23:20
Mountainman, If you don't go looking for it, chances are you'll be ok.

mattsvensson
02-21-2013, 23:40
I never saw anyone out there who was wild and crazy...even the people who smoked weed were very cautious about it because they know that not everyone else wants to partake. 90% of them would ask before lighting up just to be sure no on minded. As far as drinking goes, a few people near major trail heads had alcohol but the real hikers know better than to dehydrate like that.