PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good base camp in Shenandoah

JoshAuerbach
01-22-2013, 13:33
Six of us would like to head to Shenandoah to camp for a week and spend the day hiking the AT and other trails there. I don't really know much about the area but was looking for a good place that is close to a lot of trails and things to do. Someone suggested Big Meadows campground as a possible place to start? I guess they have walk in sites that are a little more private? IS that a good option and if so what are some good day hikes in that area? Or if not, would there be a better place?

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2013, 13:35
Yes I have done that - +1 recommendation. suggest after April - when the green hits.

Creek Dancer
01-22-2013, 13:42
Big Meadows is a good choice if you want a campground and they do have walk in sites. Bring lots of quarters for the showers. Also, heed the park's warning to protect your food from bears. Last time I stayed there, I came back to my tent to find a juvenile bear chomping on a watermelon that someone (not in our party) had left out on a picnic table. Have a great time!

Damaged
01-22-2013, 14:37
Agree with the above. Big Meadows is a great place to base camp and hike throughout the park. The walk in camp sites are a little more secluded, but don't offer complete privacy. You can still see your neighbor from most of them. The campground usually opens sometime around the end of March or beginning of April. Check out the map of the campground from the parks website. It will help you to pick a campsite better. There is a book of circuit hikes for the park that can be purchased when you enter the Park that offers suggestions for hikes throughout. The Potomac Applachian Club also offers good maps if you would like to make up your own circuits. Their maps can be found from their website, at REI and in the park at the waysides and camp stores. The park offers some one sheet paper maps as the waysides that also suggest circuit hikes in the park (these are free). If you are looking for hikes in and around Big Meadows, I would recommend Dark Hollow/Rose River Loop. Farther North along Skyline Drive near Skyland is the White Oak Falls/Cedar Run loop. With over 500 miles of trails plus over 100 miles of the AT, the list is endless. Another good source for checking out trails is the website Hiking Upward. (Sorry, I don't have the URL) They have a number of loops of the park listed with very detailed info and printable maps. Have Fun!!!

The Snowman
01-22-2013, 20:38
the nicer campsites are the ones up by the AT over looking the valley. the walk in sites are nice for the most part but some face the main campground road so are not any more private than drive up sites.

johnnybgood
01-22-2013, 21:32
If you lilke privacy then the walk ins at Big Meadows are the ticket. Just giving you a heads up here . Your post never mentioned when you guys were planning to go,so you might check the park site for information on campground reservations and when they start . Try the Shenandoah National Park website for campgrounds and reservation details.

Also :

Lewis Campground is a quaint ,less busy campground that needs no reservations and is only 7 miles south of Big Meadows Thought I'd toss this out there as a look see option.

Cookerhiker
01-22-2013, 22:54
I've actually preferred Lewis Mountain as a base camp because it's quieter than Big Meadows. The location is still reasonably convenient to trails north and south.

Mrs Baggins
01-23-2013, 08:55
We always stay at Big Meadows campground. Granted, we take our tent trailer up there and I reserve the site as far in advance as possible in order to get one that lets our trailer face into the woods and not too close to others. We can still see the tent campers but they are far enough away that we can't even hear them talk or prepare meals. The Big Meadows wayside is the best for it's camp store's large selection of items that you may have forgotten or just for getting ice cream after a long hike. We keep a supply of quarters for the showers. The restrooms have an area for washing dishes/cookware. And when you're tired of your own cooking there's the Big Meadows Lodge and New Market Pub for a meal and a pint. Great day hikes are: Rose River; Cedar Run-White Oak Canyon (the whole loop, not one or the other); the trail into Rapidan Camp and then up onto the AT and back - great 7 mile loop but I can't remember the name of it at the moment). There are many many more. Enjoy! One caution: Don't go over the Memorial Day weekend. We made that mistake one time - never again. The campground was packed with huge families having reunions - 100's of screaming kids, barking dogs, yelling parents, loud music.......horrible.

jimmyjam
01-23-2013, 09:05
+1 for Lewis Mountain Campground. Small, quiet, camp store and showers. I also like Loft Mountain- bigger than Lewis but smaller than Big Meadows, almost all the sites have thick bushes between them which gives you some privacy- it's a real pretty campground. Also Loft has a store/showers/laundry and it's just a short walk to the Loft Mountain Wayside which has a giift shop, more showers and a restaurant.

juma
01-23-2013, 09:15
I recommend Byrd nest 3. Nice shelter and a lot of campsites, new privy, and best, a firehose of a spring that is hooked up to lake michigan. Its up high on a ridge with breeze and views. A ton of interlocking trails to hike to the east and south. Mary's rock viewpoint to the north and a great loop over to Pass Mountain, down to Bucks Hollow parking and back up the hollow. You can leave a car at buck hollow parking on Skyline Drive, about mile away--thus, you can be eating a burger in Sperryville or Luray in about a hour.

Sandy of PA
01-23-2013, 10:03
Byrd nest 3 is only for use by AT thru-hikers if you read the rules.

bfayer
01-23-2013, 10:05
I recommend Byrd nest 3. Nice shelter and a lot of campsites, new privy, and best, a firehose of a spring that is hooked up to lake michigan. Its up high on a ridge with breeze and views. A ton of interlocking trails to hike to the east and south. Mary's rock viewpoint to the north and a great loop over to Pass Mountain, down to Bucks Hollow parking and back up the hollow. You can leave a car at buck hollow parking on Skyline Drive, about mile away--thus, you can be eating a burger in Sperryville or Luray in about a hour.

SNP has a two night limit at back country campsites.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Creek Dancer
01-23-2013, 10:23
Byrd nest 3 is only for use by AT thru-hikers if you read the rules.

I recall reading a sign posted in a SNP hut that the shelters are to be used by long distance hikers out for more than 3 nights. There was no mention of AT thru hikers. Where did you read this?

Sandy of PA
01-23-2013, 10:27
Thier definition of AT thru-hiker not yours, anyone going long distance. Thru-hiker in PA is anyone leaving the game lands a significant distance from where they started.

Creek Dancer
01-23-2013, 13:17
Thier definition of AT thru-hiker not yours, anyone going long distance. Thru-hiker in PA is anyone leaving the game lands a significant distance from where they started.

Their defintion is "long-term hikers". Not mine.

"Huts are three-sided structures along the Appalachian Trail and are operated by PATC for use by long-term hikers."
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

Creek Dancer
01-23-2013, 13:19
You can be a "long-term hiker" in the SNP and not be an AT hiker.

bfayer
01-23-2013, 13:51
You can be a "long-term hiker" in the SNP and not be an AT hiker.

Either way the OP is looking for a base camp for a week, so a shelter in SNP is not appropriate.

Not that people don't do it, but it is against the rules.

Creek Dancer
01-23-2013, 14:28
That's true. Staying in a SNP hut is not appropriate as a base camp. Sounds like the OP is more interested in staying in a campground and doing day hikes. This would be an awesome way to get to see as much as possible of the SNP. I have been backpacking up there for about 15 years and the best trails are not the AT, in my opinion. Many posters on this thread have made great recommendations.

I just wanted to point out that the shelter hut system is not reserved for AT thru-hikers, i.e., people hiking from Georgia to Maine. You simply have to be a long-term hiker. The PA definition of AT thru-hikers does not apply.

bfayer
01-23-2013, 14:56
...I have been backpacking up there for about 15 years and the best trails are not the AT, in my opinion...

I just wanted to point out that the shelter hut system is not reserved for AT thru-hikers, i.e., people hiking from Georgia to Maine. You simply have to be a long-term hiker. The PA definition of AT thru-hikers does not apply.

Have you ever found the swimming hole at the bottom of Overall Run? We love hiking in SNP, lots of great trails.

I agree with your point on thru hike hiking and shelters in SNP.

Creek Dancer
01-23-2013, 15:17
That's an awesome swimming hole! Another great day hike is the Doyles River loop. My favorite hike in the SNP is the Whiteoak Canyon loop. I love how you come upon waterfall after waterfall the further down the canyon you go. I've never camped at the bottom though. Gotta do that some day.

Mrs Baggins
01-23-2013, 19:57
I was wondering why we haven't stayed in Lewis Mt or Loft Mt campgrounds so I looked them up today....now I remember....they are "first come first served." No reservations. With my husband's job and vacation time we can't take the chance of getting up there and not having a space to stay. We're 3 hours from Big Meadows. No way we're driving even further only to find we have no place to stay. So we'll just keep going to Big Meadows where we can make reservations months in advance and be assured of a place to stay. It's probably an age thing (we're both 57). So be it.

Rocket Jones
01-23-2013, 20:07
An alternative is reserving one of the PATC cabins for a couple of days during your stay in SNP. Corbin Cabin is a little better than a mile down from Skyline Drive and is an amazing place to stay. There are trails in the vicinity to hike, plus lots of history in that hollow if you like to do a little exploring. We saw a bear there during one hike.

Range View Cabin is the other we stayed at. Closer to the AT than Corbin (basically right off of it), but several good loop hikes can be done from there. Had a deer walk right past us as we were out front cooking and eating.

Both of these are primitive cabins. Springs and/or creek for water, wood stoves for heat, fireplaces, privys, etc. Google up PATC Cabins for more info.

juma
01-23-2013, 22:26
Many of SNP shelter sites have between 5 and 10 tent sites nearby. Usually, they are on a trail leading away from the shelter. You can try a couple of them and stay within the 3-day limit rule (if you stay longer it may be put on your permanent record). I like Pass Mountain and the Byrds Nest 3 shelter areas because they have great springs and a picnic table.

johnnybgood
01-23-2013, 23:46
I was wondering why we haven't stayed in Lewis Mt or Loft Mt campgrounds so I looked them up today....now I remember....they are "first come first served." No reservations.

Actually, In the past few years certain campsites at Loft Mountain can now be reserved in advance,many to include pull thru camper sites. Most loops will have specific campsites designated for reservation status.

Kingbee
01-24-2013, 00:12
Dark Hollow Falls/Rose River loop is also great. Close to Big Meadows as well. You could spend a few days at Big Meadows hiking Hawksbill, Lewis Falls, then h19187ead south or north to Lewis or Matthews Arm. So much to explore! Dark Hollow Falls pictured.

bfayer
01-24-2013, 11:49
Dark Hollow Falls/Rose River loop is also great. Close to Big Meadows as well. You could spend a few days at Big Meadows hiking Hawksbill, Lewis Falls, then h19187ead south or north to Lewis or Matthews Arm. So much to explore! Dark Hollow Falls pictured.

A very nice hike, and there is a pretty nice swimming hole on rose river too.