PDA

View Full Version : Damascus to Harpers Ferry starting April 2nd - need help with sleep system

Mud Dauber
01-22-2013, 13:42
I am planning a section hike from Damascus starting on April 2, 2013, and hope to reach Harpers Ferry by May 3. I need gear advice from any past thru or section hikers who left Damascus northbound on or about April 1st. I have gear, but I am concerned about my sleep system and which gear to take. I will use a Neoair sleeping pad and am taking a 50L pack. I have sleeping bag and shelter questions. I don’t expect to use shelters often. I wish to pack light, but like to sleep warm.

Questions:

1. What was the weather like?

2. Bugs. Are they a problem in Virginia in April?

2. Tent or tarp?

3. Synthetic or down bag?

bigcranky
01-22-2013, 14:10
I hike a lot in SW Virginia in April and May. Expect lows around freezing, highs around 50. I have been out in single digit lows in mid-April, so understand that can happen. Unusual though. Late winter storms can bring heavy snow, but the more likely possibility is freezing rain or 35-and-raining. But you'll have plenty of nice days.

No bugs.

Your choice on shelter. Plenty of people tarp. The shelters will be mostly empty except on weekends.

I use only down bags. Again, your choice, but down is warmer and compresses smaller for the same weight, and I think it's far more comfortable, too.

I would take my Western Mountaineering 30-F bag and supplement it with warm clothing (down jacket, fleece tights) on the colder nights. But I sleep warm. Might be safer to take a good solid 20-F bag. Maybe a Montbell #1 or similar.

FarmerChef
01-22-2013, 15:18
On my mid-Virginia section hike last March we had daytime temps in the 70s and lows in the 50s with one cold night that got down to 32. But that was unusual. I would expect more nights closer to to the low 30s, possibly upper 20s (if we get a cold snap) and daytime highs ranging from the 50s to the 60s.

2. Bugs - depends on the weather. Be advised that ticks are active all year round when it is warm enough to be. That means if it's 60 degrees tomorrow and sunny, ticks will be out and about. As for skeeters, flies and noseeums it all depends on the weather. If it's been a warm week or two you could get a hatch. Typically, this is not the case that time of year

3. Tent or tarp - I do it with a tarp. It's nice and light and let's me pitch in a variety of ways depending on the situation. I've even used it to block off an opening on a shelter (at the request of all inside) on a cold night.

4. Bag = your choice. I am a synthetic guy due largely to cost and that it still "works" when wet (really it just dries out faster). But I'm hiking with kids who don't always take the best care of things or keep bags/themselves from sliding out of the tarp in the middle of the night. I agree with bigcranky about your sleep system. A 30-F bag is probably sufficient provided you have adequate clothing to take you lower if temps drop. I hike with a 50 degree bag most of the year and add a synthetic quilt in the winter. To this I add fleece upper/bottom and merino wool long johns. I've been comfortable into the low 20s with this setup and have yet to have a chance to test it into the teens. If I did not have my wool long johns or my fleece top I'm not sure I would be as comfortable down that low. Your comfort factor will be unique to you of course. Perhaps you could get out in the gear you have and test it out on some of these cool nights we're experiencing now. If you get too cold, you can always run back inside (assuming you have a yard to camp out in).

Moose2001
01-22-2013, 15:30
I use only down bags. Again, your choice, but down is warmer and compresses smaller for the same weight, and I think it's far more comfortable, too.

I would take my Western Mountaineering 30-F bag and supplement it with warm clothing (down jacket, fleece tights) on the colder nights. But I sleep warm. Might be safer to take a good solid 20-F bag. Maybe a Montbell #1 or similar.

Ditto on all of this.