PDA

View Full Version : Temps for April in Georgia

Cork
01-22-2013, 15:08
I'm sure it's been asked, but I can't seem to find an answer as to average temps for Georgia in April. I've had my gear list pretty well put together for awhile now, but based on some recent posts I worry I might not be warm enough. :-? Thanks again for all of the help guys! See you out there! :sun

patman25
01-22-2013, 15:49
I was on the trail last year from April 26 to May 7 and I had a 30 degree bag in a hammock with a pad under me, I never got cold at all.

daddytwosticks
01-22-2013, 16:23
Get ready for answers all over the map. True answer...it depends. :)

Stir Fry
01-22-2013, 16:41
Average is going to be arround 45, but can range from 20 to 70.

Stir Fry
01-22-2013, 16:56
Average is going to be arround 45, but can range from 20 to 70.

FarmerChef
01-22-2013, 17:14
Average temps as well as historic high/lows can be obtained from weather.com. Plug in the zip code of the area you wish to search. Choose "monthly" as the period you wish to view and then scroll until you hit the month you desire. Or click "averages" to see it trended. you won't see high/lows for particular days but a single set for the month. This helps to smooth out the widely varied experiences everyone who replies is likely to report.

SCRUB HIKER
01-22-2013, 18:32
Google the following for questions like this:

city month site:weather-warehouse.com

Sometimes, detailed climate data doesn't exist for the smaller towns. I tried Hiawassee and Suches, Georgia and there wasn't much. But here are the search results for Franklin, NC (which is almost in Georgia) for April. (https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=franklin+north+carolina+april+site:weather-warehouse.com&oq=franklin+north+carolina+april+site:weather-warehouse.com&gs_l=serp.3...6558.7006.1.7109.6.6.0.0.0.5.198.778 .0j5.5.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.mQVgccLEFfw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=b8f814a9b55d066a&biw=1280&bih=627)

This shows that, just like others have said, the weather can be all over the place. It was in the 70s every day but one in Georgia for me. That one day, it was 40 degrees, and the night before a severe thunderstorm had blown through (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_4%E2%80%935,_2011_derecho_and_tornado_outbre ak) and the rainfall had subsequently frozen everyone's camping gear--knots, shoes, water bottles, etc. The Neels Gap hostel was full that day by 2pm from all the people who had just had a miserable night atop Blood Mountain: the local bear, since euthanized, came in during the middle of the storm and wreaked havoc on most of the food bags, many of them properly hung. It even took a peek into the shelter--someone I knew had a nice picture of that happening. But that's neither here nor there ... I'm getting carried away. The point is that you should plan for anything in April.

Cork
01-23-2013, 12:29
Thanks guys...especially for the links. More planning...more research...but it's something to do until I can leave. :) Happy Hiking!

max patch
01-23-2013, 12:39
I wouldn't plan based on "averages", I'd plan based on "lowest reasonable possible temps." I left 5/1 and had snow flurries in the GSMNP.

FarmerChef
01-23-2013, 12:47
I wouldn't plan based on "averages", I'd plan based on "lowest reasonable possible temps." I left 5/1 and had snow flurries in the GSMNP.

Sorry, realized I left out that by clicking on the months at weather.com you'll get the high/lows for each day. The averages trending graph also shows high/lows but averages of them for the month. Clicking on particular days gives you a better idea.

That said, averages are useful indicators of predicted temps. The problem with record lows is that they can occur most any time of the year. If you simply plan for the record low all the time you're likely to go out way over provisioned. What I do is to look at the average, look at the record low and look at weather trends for the current cycle (mild winter? cold winter? wet winter?). Then check the weather forecast the day before I go. If it's trending in line with estimates or not then I'll pack accordingly. But I'll also have a strategy for if the weather gets too hot/cold.