PDA

View Full Version : Dead Heads on the trail

Pages : [1] 2

keepinitsimple
01-22-2013, 15:51
Just curious how many AT hikers consider themselves fans of the Grateful Dead? Any Warf Rats ? I mean if we are discussing Sex on the trail, why not talk about good music too.:sun

coach lou
01-22-2013, 16:13
Just curious how many AT hikers consider themselves fans of the Grateful Dead? Any Warf Rats ? I mean if we are discussing Sex on the trail, why not talk about good music too.:sun

Do you have electricity in New Hanover?

Zippy Morocco
01-22-2013, 16:58
I'm in. I don't consider myself a dead head but I do catch dead related shows when they come my way. Furthur and Rat Dog came to Missoula and I had a great time at both. These days the Pizza Tapes are getting a lot of play do to me being an even bigger Tony Rice fan and a bluegrass musician.

Yes, I'm also a Wharf Rat of 6 years.

hikerboy57
01-22-2013, 16:59
got some good footage in the cafe archives

gratefulbob
01-22-2013, 17:16
May 10, 1980 was my first show. The same attraction that drew me to the Dead is drawing me to the trail. The past couple of months, I've been planning my first tour since 1993. Got my tickets but the show is going to be every day all day out on the trail. I wonder what Jerry will be playing in my head on March 27.....

polechar
01-22-2013, 17:46
Hope so! I recently put 32 full shows on my Ipod for the trail!

Bloomer
01-22-2013, 17:57
First saw the Grateful Dead in 89 and have been catchn surviving members too. Ratdog, Phil and friends, Micky Hart's Planet Drum, Bill K's Tricromes and other related community music. New Riders of the Purple Sage, David Nelson Band, Dark Star Orchestra etc... On my many hiking 'trips' along the AT I've gotten off and caught shows and festivals along the way. Don't like to party on the trail though!

Deer Hunter
01-22-2013, 17:59
Definately a Greatful Dead fan.

clowncsc
01-22-2013, 18:00
dead head here as well as Phish and Im bringing my ipod with some speakers to rig up on my pack

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 18:14
Oh hell yeah, going to see a show was such a big part of high school for me. Didn't quit jobs and go on tour around the country like some friends of mine, but when the Dead came to town (East Coast)....I'm in. Last year "Crimson white and indigo came out, it was a show that was turned into a 3 volume CD/and 1 DVD set that my wife and I went to, it was in 1989 at JFK, great show and was the last show held at JFK before it was torn down to make room for a new stadium. With 18 Dead CD's on my Ipod, I guess you could say yep...I'm a fan, Good stuff. And yes the cafe has some great videos floatin around...love em!

Colonel_forbin
01-22-2013, 19:04
I am a huge head! Like phish just as much too

jeffmeh
01-22-2013, 19:10
OK, queueing up the Complete Pizza Tapes now.

Rightfoot
01-22-2013, 19:21
Saw the Dead for the first time at Colt Park in Connecticut in 1976. A show to remember i think???

Papa D
01-22-2013, 19:23
Definately a Greatful Dead fan.

yes - me too but I like all sorts of music including alt-country, indie rock, folk, bluegrass and so forth

Waterbuffalo
01-22-2013, 19:41
Deadhead here too First Show March 1992 Freshman year of HS turned to Phish and WSP in 96 and now a dedicated ParrotHead

jimmyjam
01-22-2013, 19:42
I was in the 70's...... at least I think it was the 70s kinda foggy if you know what I mean.

keepinitsimple
01-22-2013, 19:52
Rocket Socks, I was at that JFK show as well, JFK was a special place. it was the kind of place you could fold up a $5 bill and hand it to the door man like a ticket and get in. Never did that for a Dead show anywhere else. I remember the Scarlet/Fire- it was my first. DSO is cool for the money these days. One thing I always got a kick out of was the militant hippy types, I see some cross over in to the hiker community, it's a kind of arrogance, with a touch of snooty to it. I see it on this web site as well, but that is life

TNjed
01-22-2013, 20:00
Tennessee Jed. Ain't no place I'd rather be.....

johnnybgood
01-22-2013, 20:19
Grateful Dead fan here as well. big Dark Star Orchestra fan too.

Deer Hunter
01-22-2013, 20:32
yes - me too but I like all sorts of music including alt-country, indie rock, folk, bluegrass and so forth

My taste in music varies widely, too. Can't do rap. though.

hikerboy57
01-22-2013, 20:47
One word-china cat

hikerboy57
01-22-2013, 20:49
My taste in music varies widely, too. Can't do rap. though.

rap?pigpen on good lovin

2NewKnees
01-22-2013, 20:54
Deadhead thru and through! Been to a few shows in my time. Last one was a couple of years ago in Greensboro. It was good but not Jerry Dead good.

Deer Hunter
01-22-2013, 21:15
rap?pigpen on good lovin

Well that's ok.

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 22:15
One word-china catHeck yeah.... Look...fa awhile at the china cat sunflower, cool walking jingle in the midnight sun.....Crazy Cat People,..doot..da da dee doo doo dee

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 22:27
Rocket Socks, I was at that JFK show as well, JFK was a special place. it was the kind of place you could fold up a $5 bill and hand it to the door man like a ticket and get in. Never did that for a Dead show anywhere else. I remember the Scarlet/Fire- it was my first. DSO is cool for the money these days. One thing I always got a kick out of was the militant hippy types, I see some cross over in to the hiker community, it's a kind of arrogance, with a touch of snooty to it. I see it on this web site as well, but that is lifeHey, well at least you got in.
Yep, I hear what your sayin, I have zero time for arrogance and snooty, and find myself biting my tounge in order to not tell em where the monkey put the peanut, but yeah that's life, whatta ya gonna do. Alway's a pleasure to meet a fellow goer, Spectrum and Garden shows were alway's a blast, but the Spectrum show's and sleepin out in the parking lot, well you know, what a trip! and the train ride home from the city, that was a party in it's self....I just wished I'd lived further away so the train ride wouldn't be over so quick.

johnnybgood
01-22-2013, 22:42
Heck yeah.... Look...fa awhile at the china cat sunflower, cool walking jingle in the midnight sun.....

Crazy cat peeping through a lace...bandana...

gratefulbob
01-22-2013, 22:57
Upon the Blueridge Mountains is where I'll make my stand...

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 22:58
Crazy cat peeping through a lace...bandana...I've been known to seriously adulterate some lyrics. Once at a party a tune came on and I started singing it, and couldn't remember the next part. I turn to see this girl looking at me , and I say, " I don't know the second verse", and she say's "You don't know the first verse" :eek: :o

Different Socks
01-22-2013, 23:01
met a guy on my PCT hike that heard the Dead we're gonna be in Reno, so he got off the trail just to go see them.

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:05
Hey , have you guys seen that book called "Lyrics" pretty cool. I go to the book store (B&N) get a coffee, and check out dead song lyrics, with notes and anecdotes from many people about how the lyrics came to be...Example the song Bertha was titled after an old fan that sat on the table to keep em cool while they wrote . On the grill of the fan was the name Bertha...pretty cool.

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:06
met a guy on my PCT hike that heard the Dead we're gonna be in Reno, so he got off the trail just to go see them.Thread; would you leave the trail for a dead show.....ooh yeah boy!

Chaco Taco
01-22-2013, 23:08
Got to see Jerry Dead 4 times in Greensboro while in high school. Big Dark Star fan but Im a Spreadhead (Widespread Panic). Been following these fellas since 94 and also am a fan of anything Warren Haynes does, esp Govt Mule. Saw Mule 5 times this past year. We had 4th row tickets in Asheville for Further a couple of years ago and that show melted my face.

Chaco Taco
01-22-2013, 23:09
People get off the trail for festivals quite often because you can volunteer and get free passes

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:13
Got to see Jerry Dead 4 times in Greensboro while in high school. Big Dark Star fan but Im a Spreadhead (Widespread Panic). Been following these fellas since 94 and also am a fan of anything Warren Haynes does, esp Govt Mule. Saw Mule 5 times this past year.
We had 4th row tickets in Asheville for Further a couple of years ago and that show melted my face.Phil was droppin bombs huh?

went to go see this bluegrass dou called the DoDoWahs, the people that followed them were called DoDoheads :)got an e-mail recently saying they were breakin up :(

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:16
People get off the trail for festivals quite often because you can volunteer and get free passesYes, last year I had posted somethin on the old "Winterfest" festival which was in NY state I think..and they were taking applicants for that very thing....pretty cool way to go, if ya don't mind workin a bit.

infact I think it was free shows, food and a place to camp out...not bad.

johnnybgood
01-22-2013, 23:16
Crazy cat peeping through a lace...bandana...

I've been known to seriously adulterate some lyrics. Once at a party a tune came on and I started singing it, and couldn't remember the next part. I turn to see this girl looking at me , and I say, " I don't know the second verse", and she say's "You don't know the first verse" :eek: :o

My lyrics are more trippier... more trippy :o:D

Chaco Taco
01-22-2013, 23:20
Yea dude was killin it, especially when he sang Strawberry Fields

Phil was droppin bombs huh?

went to go see this bluegrass dou called the DoDoWahs, the people that followed them were called DoDoheads :)got an e-mail recently saying they were breakin up :(

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:22
Haven't not been in years, they still using "The Beam"

Chaco Taco
Mountain Jam at Hunter Mtn in the Catskills is where its at this year. Really chill, Phil and Friends, Widespread Panic 2 nights, Govt Mule 2 nights, Jackie Greene, Primus, Avetts, Gary Clark Jr, Soulive....

Yes, last year I had posted somethin on the old "Winterfest" festival which was in NY state I think..and they were taking applicants for that very thing....pretty cool way to go, if ya don't mind workin a bit.

infact I think it was free shows, food and a place to camp out...not bad.

Hairbear
My muti color bandana speaks for itself.

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:24
My lyrics are more trippier... more trippy :o:Dyeah often times people come up with some funny stuff...drawing a blank right now...but have had this same conversation before with others about wrong song lyrics...too funny

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:26
Mountain Jam at Hunter Mtn in the Catskills is where its at this year. Really chill, Phil and Friends, Widespread Panic 2 nights, Govt Mule 2 nights, Jackie Greene, Primus, Avetts, Gary Clark Jr, Soulive....Sweet, will look into it. Phil like 72 now? god bless em, still tourin.

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:27
My muti color bandana speaks for itself.I just knew you were and ole hippy Hearbear..hehe

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 23:32
Well fellas, it's 16 frickin degrees here, and I'm goin for my nightly walk.....why I don't know! gonna take ten minutes to dress.

later you hippy hiker trash show goer's, keep on truckin!

Another Kevin
01-22-2013, 23:33
Mountain Jam at Hunter Mtn in the Catskills is where its at this year. Really chill, Phil and Friends, Widespread Panic 2 nights, Govt Mule 2 nights, Jackie Greene, Primus, Avetts, Gary Clark Jr, Soulive....

And be sure at least to take the easy hike up to the firetower - lovely view from there. Continue on the Devil's Path over Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin and Indian Head if you want a real challenge... good training for the Whites.

Or is it bad manners to discuss hiking in a Grateful Dead thread?

(Over in Tannersville - next village down from Hunter - there's a B&B with a dancing bear on the sign called the 'Grateful Bed.')

Hairbear
01-22-2013, 23:37
I just knew you were and ole hippy Hearbear..hehe comes natural,lol. Great to see you back rocket,I missed your posts..peace

Chaco Taco
01-23-2013, 06:38
We saw the B&B, looked cool. The falls trail before you get into Hunter is sweet!

And be sure at least to take the easy hike up to the firetower - lovely view from there. Continue on the Devil's Path over Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin and Indian Head if you want a real challenge... good training for the Whites.

Or is it bad manners to discuss hiking in a Grateful Dead thread?

(Over in Tannersville - next village down from Hunter - there's a B&B with a dancing bear on the sign called the 'Grateful Bed.')

hikerboy57
01-23-2013, 08:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-ufOIgm2Y

Lone Wolf
01-23-2013, 08:09
"jerry's dead and phish sucks. get a life" a sticker seen on my water bottle :cool:

hikerboy57
01-23-2013, 08:12
"jerry's dead and phish sucks. get a life" a sticker seen on my water bottle :cool:
i agree with the phish part. and yes jerry is dead.

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 08:17
"jerry's dead and phish sucks. get a life" a sticker seen on my water bottle :cool:I never put Dead stickers on my water bottle, to easy to get pulled over these day's. ;)

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 08:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw-ufOIgm2YThanks HB, we needed some tunes on this thread, great pick!

keepinitsimple
01-23-2013, 09:10
I love all of the frontier, type of mountain references in the music. Each song tells such a story. Robert Hunter was one of the best song writers ever. Got to see him live by himself one time. Anyone ever heard the song Promentory Rider? Hard to find ( for me) He did it with JGB one time, but my copy is piss poor. "Once the wind was warm and sweet, the ladies all in lace, but out there on the prominence the tears just freeze your face" or something like that

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 10:27
I love all of the frontier, type of mountain references in the music. Each song tells such a story. Robert Hunter was one of the best song writers ever. Got to see him live by himself one time. Anyone ever heard the song Promentory Rider? Hard to find ( for me) He did it with JGB one time, but my copy is piss poor. "Once the wind was warm and sweet, the ladies all in lace, but out there on the prominence the tears just freeze your face" or something like thatNever seen Hunter. But a friends brother made a tape that I had for years with Promentory rider on it, don't have it anymore. But a couple years ago found a jerry CD with hunter on there singing PR, and tiger rose, can't remember off hand which one it was , but I'll get back to you today after I go check my collection....it might be Jerry at the Nassau Colosseum??? pretty sure it was a college show.

Come to think of it, it was "After Midnight", oh hell ....be right back!

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 10:37
Never seen Hunter. But a friends brother made a tape that I had for years with Promentory rider on it, don't have it anymore. But a couple years ago found a jerry CD with hunter on there singing PR, and tiger rose, can't remember off hand which one it was , but I'll get back to you today after I go check my collection....it might be Jerry at the Nassau Colosseum??? pretty sure it was a college show.

Come to think of it, it was "After Midnight", oh hell ....be right back!there it is. "The Jerry Garcia band..After midnight" live at Kean College, Wilkins theater, Feb 28, 1980 a 3 CD set. I did not go to that show, but hit Rutgers university I think that same year, but then again it was the 80's so...kinda of a blur ;)

keepinitsimple
01-23-2013, 10:49
My man, pots and pans!

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 10:51
My man, pots and pans!Anytime brada!

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 11:03
there it is. "The Jerry Garcia band..After midnight" live at Kean College, Wilkins theater, Feb 28, 1980 a 3 CD set. I did not go to that show, but hit Rutgers university I think that same year, but then again it was the 80's so...kinda of a blur ;)

1916919170Yeah know I just gotta say, this whole CD if freakin awesome if you like just jerry, it exudes his style all over the place. Simple twist of fate, Elanor rigby, mission in the rain......I'm gonna spin it right now!

blue indian
01-23-2013, 12:22
1977-02-26. San bernardino, Ca. Swing auditorium. Amazing show. I've listened to it over and over. First playing of terrapin station.

Anyone headin to Wanee this year?!

Deer Hunter
01-23-2013, 12:30

Beautiful.

keepinitsimple
01-23-2013, 12:33
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Read more at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/48463/#BjtTzGSFkeHMDJ2q.99

keepinitsimple
01-23-2013, 12:42
Can we list mountain, or trail related lyrics from your fav dead tune? Sure we can, it's our thread. Forget ounces and grams, cuban fiber, and esbit tabs for a minute. My roots take me back to being a dirt bag'in dead head anyway. fell in love with the road traveling to places like the Omni, in Atlanta- where I saw my first Corina, or Richfield OH where Bobby spit on me while singing.

MyName1sMud
01-23-2013, 12:52

My Name Is Mud.

Not to be confused with Bill
Or Jack or Pete or Dennis

(brain is shotting out on me... forget all the random names Les says)

And Yes..... even at my young age I'm pretty well versed in the Dead.... though I never got to see Jerry. I have gotten to see "The Dead" a few times though.

I've been told my live show collection of the Dead rivals a lot of 60 year olds.......

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 13:03
My Name Is Mud.

Not to be confused with Bill
Or Jack or Pete or Dennis

(brain is shotting out on me... forget all the random names Les says)

And Yes..... even at my young age I'm pretty well versed in the Dead.... though I never got to see Jerry. I have gotten to see "The Dead" a few times though.

I've been told my live show collection of the Dead rivals a lot of 60 year olds.......Sweet, my collection only has about 4 live mixes a buddy made for me when he was plugged into the board, mostly all store bought stuff. I understand there is a big following for trading live shows on the net, never looked into this, as I've nothing to trade....and still......it's all good.

Deer Hunter
01-23-2013, 13:04
What is everybodys favorite dead song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJJCQ4dtAlw

rocketsocks
01-23-2013, 13:08
What is everybodys favorite dead song?That's a tuffy DH, I'll ponder this this afternoon while my doc is taking my money for my past wrongfully livin. catch ya later on that one. Not sure I'd be able to anwser it tho......

Deer Hunter
01-23-2013, 13:10
That's a tuffy DH, I'll ponder this this afternoon while my doc is taking my money for my past wrongfully livin. catch ya later on that one. Not sure I'd be able to anwser it tho......

So so many to choose from. All are great IMHO.

MyName1sMud
01-23-2013, 13:10
Sweet, my collection only has about 4 live mixes a buddy made for me when he was plugged into the board, mostly all store bought stuff. I understand there is a big following for trading live shows on the net, never looked into this, as I've nothing to trade....and still......it's all good.
I mainly got heavly into live shows due to two different website. First it was deadhook.com.... then something happened (forgot what) and a number of us moved to Willow Tree. They had these things called Mail Bombs where you would just pick whatever show you wanted to send someone and put it in the mail to them. I'd say half my collection came from people on those sites just sending me the music in the mail. Good people!

I've got a number of store bought albums as well.... and here lately i've been buying digital music through amazon mp3. love that app. buy whatever music you want and put it on as many devices as you damn well please. EAT YOUR HEART OUT ITUNES!

keepinitsimple
01-23-2013, 13:56
the best site I have ever used for free dead downloads is www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org) they have so much information in addition to the show. Like you can download the actual ticket graphic from the show to put on your tape case, and loads of other stuff, like rankings, quality choices for down loads- really an amazing thing. and tons of other bands, its free

fav songs, fire on the mountain, rubin and cherise, and a few others

MyName1sMud
01-23-2013, 15:13
the best site I have ever used for free dead downloads is www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org) they have so much information in addition to the show. Like you can download the actual ticket graphic from the show to put on your tape case, and loads of other stuff, like rankings, quality choices for down loads- really an amazing thing. and tons of other bands, its free

fav songs, fire on the mountain, rubin and cherise, and a few others
Yep. That's where I got most of my live music collection that wasn't mailed to me directly.

Panicstream.com is also a good one for you Widespread Panic fans out there.

keepinitsimple
01-23-2013, 15:41
RocketSocks, you are my first friend on WB. Hiking Dead heads unite!

WILLIAM HAYES
01-23-2013, 17:43
there is a road no simple highway
between the dawn and the dark of night
and if you go no one may follow
that path is for your steps alone

my favorite lines from the Grateful Dead song Ripples
Kind of describes a hiker I am a deadhead have been one for years
Hillbilly

Deer Hunter
01-23-2013, 18:33
there is a road no simple highway
between the dawn and the dark of night
and if you go no one may follow
that path is for your steps alone

my favorite lines from the Grateful Dead song Ripples
Kind of describes a hiker I am a deadhead have been one for years
Hillbilly

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsbAuX9P4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFsbAuX9P4w

polechar
01-23-2013, 20:32
This is where I found to download all my shows for my through hike, http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AGratefulDead&page=1

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 08:24
I mainly got heavly into live shows due to two different website. First it was deadhook.com.... then something happened (forgot what) and a number of us moved to Willow Tree. They had these things called Mail Bombs where you would just pick whatever show you wanted to send someone and put it in the mail to them. I'd say half my collection came from people on those sites just sending me the music in the mail. Good people!

I've got a number of store bought albums as well.... and here lately i've been buying digital music through amazon mp3. love that app. buy whatever music you want and put it on as many devices as you damn well please. EAT YOUR HEART OUT ITUNES!So tired of itunes not downloading music correctly, and all the crap to get it right, the audio books portion I never had a issue with...love listening to books on tape.

fav songs, fire on the mountain, rubin and cherise, and a few othersI like that song too. Rubin and Cherise. Great site, was checkin out all last night , and trying to see which shows I was at. Thanks for postin that....good stuff!

RocketSocks, you are my first friend on WB. Hiking Dead heads unite!And lysdexic Deadheads untie!

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 08:35
What is everybodys favorite dead song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJJCQ4dtAlwOk, gave it tons of thought yestuday, and came to the conclusion that...I just can't pick one... I like "Box of rain"with Phil singing, and "Ripple", "goin to sea once more", (traditional tune on Jerry's "Shady Grove" album) and o'coarse "the Other one" into "Space/Drums" back into whatever jerry feels like playin for me at that time. hehe

Chaco Taco
01-24-2013, 19:19
etree.org is so much better

This is where I found to download all my shows for my through hike, http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AGratefulDead&page=1

G-FOURce
01-24-2013, 20:15
Q: how many deadheads does it take to change a light bulb?
A: none. They wait for it to burn out and then follow it around for 25 years...

rocketsocks
01-24-2013, 20:51
etree.org is so much betterCool, will check that out as well.

hikerboy57
01-24-2013, 21:32
the one song that always does it for me, the one with jerrys haunting voice, the one that always brings me right back there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwT8HNn5prQ

xrayla
01-24-2013, 21:55
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2_eyqrfNA

Deer Hunter
01-24-2013, 21:59
the one song that always does it for me, the one with jerrys haunting voice, the one that always brings me right back there

Good song and video.

Gdeadphans
01-24-2013, 22:04
Love em! hence the name...I enjoy all jam bands, and definitely good bluegrass.

hikerboy57
01-24-2013, 22:04
allright this ones gonna keep us busy for a while. doesnt get any better than this boys

estimated prophet/eyes of the world/st stephen/sugar magnolia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BU6L0fs4q8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BU6L0fs4q8

Deer Hunter
01-24-2013, 22:07
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2_eyqrfNA

Wouldn't come up on my desktop. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF2_eyqrfNA

Another Kevin
01-24-2013, 22:59
De mortuis nil nisi bene dicendum est.

lostinfflood
01-25-2013, 06:10
Best Eyes of the World was in Englishtown, NY 9-3-77 It was hot, humid and uncomfortable but the show was great.

lostinfflood
01-25-2013, 06:11
Best Eyes of the World was in Englishtown, NJ 9-3-77 It was hot, humid and uncomfortable but the show was great.

keepinitsimple
01-25-2013, 12:02
I have a friend who always claimed that the GD were this biggest fraud he ever saw. He even had a few jig like dance gestures to replicate dosed out heads traveling with fat man and bobbin to never never land . Speaking of which, how many nick names for Jerry, Bob, or any band members can we come up with? Captain trips, Fat Man, any others?

Dogwood
01-25-2013, 13:18
GD bootleg is the best. Got some on my Mp3 player as I hike.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 13:24
I have a friend who always claimed that the GD were this biggest fraud he ever saw. He even had a few jig like dance gestures to replicate dosed out heads traveling with fat man and bobbin to never never land . Speaking of which, how many nick names for Jerry, Bob, or any band members can we come up with? Captain trips, Fat Man, any others?Yeah, some just never got on the bus.

the merry prantsers

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 13:30
My new signature pretty much describes my deal.

polechar
01-25-2013, 13:35
etree.org is so much better

Thanks Chaco, I'll check that out now

Almost There
01-25-2013, 13:37
Have seven Dead bears around my left ankle. Got'em for my 10th Wedding Anniversary. 3 blue, 3 green, and 1 red to represent my wife, who got me into the Dead, and spent the summer of '95 following them. What's sad is kids see them nowadays and think they're teddy bears. Get decent nods from the older crowd, and not one of the guys in the tattoo shop had a negative thing to say, but if you've tatted your ankle all the way around, then you would also know why. Dead bears weren't even modeled on teddy bears, but on old carved woodblocks for newspapers.

Anyways, a few favorite songs are:
Uncle John's Band
Sugar Magnolia (ring tone for my wife)
Bertha
Box of Rain
Ripple....all right I could go on.

Also got to agree that if you're a Dead Head, then you can't be into Phish:rolleyes:

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 17:35
My new signature pretty much describes my deal.

Broke down and had to buy it, I figure I thumbed thru-it enough at the store, it was time to give back.19256480 pages...2lbs. 2ozs. and tons of fun!

hikerboy57
01-25-2013, 17:39
http://mail.aol.com/37309-111/aol-6/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=25841363&folder=NewMail&partId=1

Broke down and had to buy it, I figure I thumbed thru-it enough at the store, it was time to give back.

ive got a dvd at home with actual film footage by kesey and the merry pranksters on their bus tour to NYC 64 worlds fair and back.has early dead footage as well as keseys first laboratory controlled acid trip at berkeley. dont remember the name, but has the legendary neal cassidy driving the bus.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 17:45
ive got a dvd at home with actual film footage by kesey and the merry pranksters on their bus tour to NYC 64 worlds fair and back.has early dead footage as well as keseys first laboratory controlled acid trip at berkeley. dont remember the name, but has the legendary neal cassidy driving the bus.Oh that sounds interesting. I read the book "The electric kool-aid acid test" back in high school, even quoted Kesey in a article for school paper~ "We are on the bus".....my teachers were not impressed......neither were my folks. :eek:

:cool:

coach lou
01-25-2013, 17:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUOtLL4D1o

Yea, we were 7, but I remember those little puppets singing and the GM pavilion with the futuristic cars. HB, remind me the next time we are on the trail to tell you the story about the country of MONACO pavilion.

coach lou
01-25-2013, 17:53
Oh that sounds interesting. I read the book "The electric kool-aid acid test" back in high school, even quoted Kesey in a article for school paper~ "We are on the bus".....my teachers were not impressed......neither were my folks. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3oaPNJieg

70 year old Mrs. Sandberg, our 7th grade music teacher was not very happy to hear this. She ran up the the victrola and ripped it off and threw it in the waste basket!!!!!!!

hikerboy57
01-25-2013, 18:01
Oh that sounds interesting. I read the book "The electric kool-aid acid test" back in high school, even quoted Kesey in a article for school paper~ "We are on the bus".....my teachers were not impressed......neither were my folks. :eek:

ill check it when i get home but i think this was the one:http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=362839&ecid=PID-5580&pa=SEM-GPA&CAWELAID=1066860906&cagpspn=pla

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 18:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpUOtLL4D1o

Yea, we were 7, but I remember those little puppets singing and the GM pavilion with the futuristic cars. HB, remind me the next time we are on the trail to tell you the story about the country of MONACO pavilion.Well Lou, I really enjoyed that, I wonder if ole Walt was on the bus. I have a friend who use to work for Disney as an artist, it was his first job out of collage, now he is in marketing.
Those animatronics are awesome.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 18:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3oaPNJieg

70 year old Mrs. Sandberg, our 7th grade music teacher was not very happy to hear this. She ran up the the victrola and ripped it off and threw it in the waste basket!!!!!!!That's as bad as burnin books, whats the world comin to.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 18:54
ill check it when i get home but i think this was the one:http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=362839&ecid=PID-5580&pa=SEM-GPA&CAWELAID=1066860906&cagpspn=plaCool, don't have those, here's my small collection of dvd

Oh hell now I can't seem to copy and paste but they are as follows

Grateful dawg

the end of the road

festival express

and the grateful dead Anthem to beauty

19255much better pic from camera than from cell phone to mail to computer, sheesh

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 19:07
ill check it when i get home but i think this was the one:http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=362839&ecid=PID-5580&pa=SEM-GPA&CAWELAID=1066860906&cagpspn=plaWas this movie out in the theaters a couple years ago?, I seem to remember hearin somethin about that, Cool

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 19:10
ive got a dvd at home with actual film footage by kesey and the merry pranksters on their bus tour to NYC 64 worlds fair and back.has early dead footage as well as keseys first laboratory controlled acid trip at berkeley. dont remember the name, but has the legendary neal cassidy driving the bus.Thare was cowboy Neal at the wheel on a bus to never never land.

rocketsocks
01-25-2013, 23:52
Have seven Dead bears around my left ankle. Got'em for my 10th Wedding Anniversary. 3 blue, 3 green, and 1 red to represent my wife, who got me into the Dead, and spent the summer of '95 following them. What's sad is kids see them nowadays and think they're teddy bears. Get decent nods from the older crowd, and not one of the guys in the tattoo shop had a negative thing to say, but if you've tatted your ankle all the way around, then you would also know why. Dead bears weren't even modeled on teddy bears, but on old carved woodblocks for newspapers.

Anyways, a few favorite songs are:
Uncle John's Band
Sugar Magnolia (ring tone for my wife)
Bertha
Box of Rain
Ripple....all right I could go on.

Also got to agree that if you're a Dead Head, then you can't be into Phish:rolleyes:I have not one tattoo on my body, but the wife and I have been talkin about getting em for years, just never followed through with it. But we know exactly what they'd be...something dead fo sho. Roses for her, and dancing skeletons playing instruments for me.

:sun

rocketsocks
01-26-2013, 00:09
Best Eyes of the World was in Englishtown, NJ 9-3-77 It was hot, humid and uncomfortable but the show was great.My older sister went to that show, we lived about 10 miles from there. I was 14 and missed the bus on that one (so to speak) but shortly after that attended my first concert ever....Frank Zappa at the Palladium in the village NYC Halloween tour (tickets were $5.75), but still no bus for me. Then first Dead show at Madison Square Garden, this time, The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...Good stuff. Had not thought of the show I missed at English town in years. I've heard there were 200,000 people there, (another Woodstock), The Grateful Dead, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and The Marshall Tucker Band, Good stuff! thanks for the memory reminder.

:)

keepinitsimple
01-26-2013, 19:47
My 6 year old, who hiked the Pinnacle a few months ago on th at, just commented in the middle of Estimated that, "those guys do a really good job"

There is a connection between the GD and Autisim, I dont care what anyone says, my son is proof, and this is not the first time a wild solo called to him.

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 19:58
My older sister went to that show, we lived about 10 miles from there. I was 14 and missed the bus on that one (so to speak) but shortly after that attended my first concert ever....Frank Zappa at the Palladium in the village NYC Halloween tour (tickets were $5.75), but still no bus for me. Then first Dead show at Madison Square Garden, this time, The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...Good stuff. Had not thought of the show I missed at English town in years. I've heard there were 200,000 people there, (another Woodstock), The Grateful Dead, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and The Marshall Tucker Band, Good stuff! thanks for the memory reminder.

saw the dead at the garden with nrps, jerry on pedal steel.saw them around 20 times over the years capital in passaic was a great theatre to see a show. the palladium was formerly called the academy of music, which was basically fillmore east in a different venue.i was a bit too young for the fillmore.used to go to 2 or 3 shows a week at the academy.(the good seats were $5.50)

Nasty Dog Virus
01-26-2013, 20:10
I went to quite a few shows in the 90's. I was lucky enough to meet Bob Weir and Billy Kreutzmann backstage at Merriweather Post one year.

I saw many more Phish shows than Dead shows. I met Trey Anastasio & Mike Gordon in Copenhagen, Denmark during the '98 Europe tour.

I stopped going to shows after Phish's Coventry Fest in '04. Haven't seen Phish since despite the fact that they play 20mins from my home every summer.

Nasty Dog Virus
01-26-2013, 20:17
...and my favorite Eyes of the World... The 1st one...2/9/73...just my .02 ;)

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 22:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8hvN2pjHuo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8hvN2pjHuo

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 22:20
...and my favorite Eyes of the World... The 1st one...2/9/73...just my .02 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbW6UWFrCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbW6UWFrCk

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 22:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCgZxrf8nrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCgZxrf8nrU

hikerboy57
01-26-2013, 22:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ti_TWbKUBg

rocketsocks
01-26-2013, 23:49
I have not one tattoo on my body, but the wife and I have been talkin about getting em for years, just never followed through with it. But we know exactly what they'd be...something dead fo sho. Roses for her, and dancing skeletons playing instruments for me.

1928119282My skull cap for underneath my hard hat at work. I think the pattern was called
"Fiesta"

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 00:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ti_TWbKUBgCouldn't wait for bed time to view, great video HB so glad I'm getting to see this. thanks for posting it.

Almost There
01-27-2013, 00:47
I have not one tattoo on my body, but the wife and I have been talkin about getting em for years, just never followed through with it. But we know exactly what they'd be...something dead fo sho. Roses for her, and dancing skeletons playing instruments for me.

Very cool. The best part about tattoos is that you forget how much the last one hurt, and once they start, you've got to let them finish. The dead bears were by far my most painful tattoo. Found out that encircling the ankle is one of the most painful tattoos you can get.

Train Wreck
01-27-2013, 01:12
Very cool. The best part about tattoos is that you forget how much the last one hurt, and once they start, you've got to let them finish. The dead bears were by far my most painful tattoo. Found out that encircling the ankle is one of the most painful tattoos you can get.

Can you post a picture of the dead bears tattoo? :)

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 01:13
Very cool. The best part about tattoos is that you forget how much the last one hurt, and once they start, you've got to let them finish. The dead bears were by far my most painful tattoo. Found out that encircling the ankle is one of the most painful tattoos you can get.Yep, almost fifty years old and never had one, seems every time we talk about it, there's that couple hundred bucks topic that follows, and we just find our priorities steer us in a different direction....but in the words of the newer generation...."Were down":)

lostinfflood
01-27-2013, 06:43
Until someone mentioned it previously, I had forgotten it. I saw Robert Hunter at the Capitol Theater in Passaic in the late 1970's. I believe he opened for The Jerry Garcia Band. He was doing the Tiger Rose material. It was cool seeing the man behind so many of the songs.

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 07:52
Until someone mentioned it previously, I had forgotten it. I saw Robert Hunter at the Capitol Theater in Passaic in the late 1970's. I believe he opened for The Jerry Garcia Band. He was doing the Tiger Rose material. It was cool seeing the man behind so many of the songs.Robert "Hunter" wrote a 16 page Forward for this book, If you like his lyrics, you'll dig what he wrote here. Very articulate and intuitive view on the whole culture and capturing for future generations, Literary Genius!19284and quite the performer player in his own right,(write).

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 15:32
Anybody see the movie "On the Road", based on Jack Keroacs book with the same title. Not sure if it just came out, came out years ago, or is coming out, watched a trailer on the net came across it while looking for something else.

hikerboy57
01-27-2013, 15:33
Anybody see the movie "On the Road", based on Jack Keroacs book with the same title. Not sure if it just came out, came out years ago, or is coming out, watched a trailer on the net came across it while looking for something else.
as faras i know it hasnt come out yet. if not, then see fear and loathing in las vegas with johnny depp as hunter s thompson

hikerboy57
01-27-2013, 15:35
ken kesey and the pranksters considered kerouac and the beats old

rocketsocks
01-27-2013, 15:51
as faras i know it hasnt come out yet. if not, then see fear and loathing in las vegas with johnny depp as hunter s thompsonSeen it, read to the book...scary stuff, hehe

Well I'll just have to go see that one...kristen stewarts in it...hmm

I should have just asked you first, I knew you'd know about Keroac

MyName1sMud
01-28-2013, 18:10

F that book. Tom Wolfe or whatever his name is was a damned fly on the wall. He didn't partake.

Hunter S. Thompson built up hate for that man in me....and as a HUGE HST fan. I can't rightfully say I like that purple covered book.

hikerboy57
01-28-2013, 22:11
wont you try just a little bit harder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZK8UmvTocQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZK8UmvTocQ

Mountainsmike
01-28-2013, 22:22
Just make sure they are really dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQPZaFH3QY

rocketsocks
01-28-2013, 22:33
Just make sure they are really dead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQPZaFH3QYYep, if you see one of these guys on the trail....Play Dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlv6A_73cwg

hikerboy57
01-29-2013, 21:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLnXLmPuzDY

hikerboy57
01-29-2013, 22:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhLhWjKWtHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhLhWjKWtHQ

hikerboy57
01-29-2013, 22:14
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=813RIPRe75k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=813RIPRe75k

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 16:11
19356 Me cirrca 82' in my first flop house after high school. Notice the old chairs we got outta the trash, as we were poor. Can you even buy socks w/ stripes anymore.

Anybody got any old photos they'd like to share, I'm afraid I don't have very many, and would have to dig through our albums. Cheers! :)

coach lou
01-30-2013, 16:12
19356 Me cirrca 82' in my first flop house after high school. Notice the old chairs we got outta the trash, as we were poor. Can you even buy socks w/ stripes anymore.

Anybody got any old photos they'd like to share, I'm afraid I don't have very many, and would have to dig through our albums. Cheers! :)

Wow, who is that....your nephew?

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 16:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLnXLmPuzDYThis is the show I never went to that I love the most, I belive it's the second half on the reckoning album at Radio city music hall???

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 16:34
Wow, who is that....your nephew?I couldn't let you be the only one wearing old tye-dye shirts, I saw you in and older avatar you had, and said to myself, Heck yeah! coach....that's a cool photo Lou. Funny thing is, I haven't changed much over the years, still a little s---, but a little wiser...all good!

Oh, and I can get into the movies half price if I shave and dress right, and act foolish, easy breezy. the fool part.

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 16:42

Anybody got any old photos they'd like to share, I'm afraid I don't have very many, and would have to dig through our albums. Cheers! :)I don't suppose anyone recognizes the shirt, a friend gave it to me,. He bought it at a show, the cool thing was on the back of the shirt it had these graphics that said ..."Hey Now" ( that was done with a real painterly wispy flowing hand) wish I still had it...it was a awesome homemade Tye-dye.

BlackJack1
01-30-2013, 17:03
Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me ?

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 18:53
Who are the Grateful Dead and why do they keep following me ?With a name like black jack, I'm sure this will make since to you....

Winner Winner, Chickin Dinner!

hikerboy57
01-30-2013, 19:06
This is the show I never went to that I love the most, I belive it's the second half on the reckoning album at Radio city music hall???
\yup and ive got it on dvd too.ws listening to reckoning yesterday

rocketsocks
01-30-2013, 22:40
\yup and ive got it on dvd too.ws listening to reckoning yesterdayThat's what I thought, I love that album..acoustic half

hikerboy57
02-05-2013, 20:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vycjvjEn0iY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vycjvjEn0iY

hikerboy57
02-05-2013, 21:01
for all the pigpen fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLn_ZSC0l1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLn_ZSC0l1o

hikerboy57
02-06-2013, 23:00
you know its gonna be a good show when it starts out with jack straw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVZD9CZ623M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVZD9CZ623M

rocketsocks
02-06-2013, 23:09
All good stuff, love jack straw...that be a great trail name....

hikerboy57
02-06-2013, 23:19
All good stuff, love jack straw...that be a great trail name....
didnt he cut his buddy down?not so sure thats a good trail name

mfleming
02-06-2013, 23:24
Nice socks rocket socks! You can't buy shorts that shirt anymore either. :)

mfleming
02-06-2013, 23:25
....shorts that SHORT.... :(

hikerboy57
02-06-2013, 23:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmr7ZEoGapE

rocketsocks
02-06-2013, 23:44
Nice socks rocket socks! You can't buy shorts that shirt anymore either. :)And to think I cut them myself....what was I thinking!

didnt he cut his buddy down?not so sure thats a good trail nameYep, and he was from Wichita too, and I think he was held at the point of a knife...or was that his buddy?....

Night fellas, I'm out

coach lou
02-08-2013, 09:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafY6sZt0FE&list=AL94UKMTqg-9AM1j6r_7TiiVsSfOQh_eIW

PLAY ALL

Miami Joe
02-08-2013, 11:35
Based on these answers, I think the original question should have been something like, "How many AT hikers do not consider themselves Dead Heads?"

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 01:54
Based on these answers, I think the original question should have been something like, "How many AT hikers do not consider themselves Dead Heads?"
True dat Joe, never thought of myself as a dead head, that was a term used when speaking about someone else, it wasn't something you called yourself.

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 01:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldse7hpLphY&NR=1&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldse7hpLphY&NR=1&feature=endscreen

came across this show, it's in Germany and opens like a typical set in 81' would, but there's an energy flowwin and the boy's are tight enjoy!

Oh my, what a treat that was. Folks this show is the best show I've ever seen....wish I was there, Truth!

Lone Wolf
02-09-2013, 08:18

me. i hate their so-called music

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 08:29
me. i hate their so-called musicYa lost me at i hate....but you had me at hello:D

Lone Wolf
02-09-2013, 08:33
Ya lost me at i hate....but you had me at hello:D

ok hate is a bit strong. highly dislike

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 08:37
ok hate is a bit strong. highly dislikeyour damn near a convert.hehe

hikerboy57
02-09-2013, 08:39
oh cmon wolf, dont like marty robbins?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzDWLUdiM10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzDWLUdiM10

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 08:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxetLkhani0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxetLkhani0

or maybe this "Tom Dooley"

rocketsocks
02-09-2013, 08:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN-Lka3nqm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN-Lka3nqm0

jerry musical roots ran deep and steeped in early American and old timy music....Blue grass

"I swear to tell the truth and nothin but the truth so help me Bluegrass"

fiddlehead
02-09-2013, 12:03
"I'd rather be in some dark hollow, where the sun don't ever shine.
Then to be in some big city, in a small room with a girl on my mind"

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 16:31
"I'd rather be in some dark hollow, where the sun don't ever shine.
Then to be in some big city, in a small room with a girl on my mind"Nice....A little Sunday morning music for ye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL-dUZJydcw

A real nice "Dark Star"

Hops53
02-10-2013, 21:08
Dead Head since '71 - sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 21:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRJK6W7Oic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRJK6W7Oic

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 21:16
Dead Head since '71 - sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it rightRight you are!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFyRQPraJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFyRQPraJ8

rocketsocks
02-10-2013, 21:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XKd_2r0KZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XKd_2r0KZI

hikerboy57
02-10-2013, 22:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFnNri15-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFnNri15-4

rocketsocks
02-11-2013, 00:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHxfpK84SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHxfpK84SE

Rhanis
02-18-2013, 12:35
HAHA YESSS!! I've been wondering about this myself, especially seeing Gratefulbob's posting.. and I'm only starting a day behind you: we should meet up. I went to SF for NYE this year, and let me tell you, I've never seen Furthur rock it so well, they were on fire all three nights! I've been waiting to see about their summer tour, hopefully they will be on the east coast, I can't believe how awesome it would be to jump off the trail for a day to catch a concert. Sadly, DSO is on the west coast until May, and then they're in Ohio, don't have anything lined up after that.

And as for that new one: Mountain Song, god I love that song!! "Gonna make the mountains be my home!"
See you guys one the trail!

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 22:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9by0Yhlrns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9by0Yhlrns

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 22:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyYfDl934ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyYfDl934ds

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 22:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qSa8zw4hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qSa8zw4hk

Prime Time
02-18-2013, 22:31
July 28, 1973. Summer Jam at Watkins Glen NY. The most amazing concert I ever attended. First The Grateful Dead played...for 4 hours until their hands bled. They apologized for having to stop. Then The Band played, for the first time in a year and a half. Finally the Allman Brothers took the stage for 3 hours to wrap up the show. It wasn't cheap. For an overnight tent pass and admission, $10.00. We hopped the fence because we didn't have that kind of scat back then. Gave a rent a cop a joint to look the other way. Times were good.

hikerboy57
02-19-2013, 22:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BU6L0fs4q8http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BU6L0fs4q8

hikerboy57
02-19-2013, 22:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRlKLj3cfE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRlKLj3cfE

hikerboy57
02-19-2013, 22:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4W4YThKOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4W4YThKOc

johnnybgood
02-19-2013, 23:13
http://youtu.be/xNuUfrSDgMw

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 16:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLd3rNL72d0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLd3rNL72d0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 16:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-V5uwdXin0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-V5uwdXin0&NR=1&feature=endscreen

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 16:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZBqAo38Lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZBqAo38Lk

hikerboy57
02-27-2013, 22:22

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 18:33
And for you Phil fans check out 35:10..."box of rain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPbDJ_6aBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPbDJ_6aBM

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 21:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdCaQ8SegP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdCaQ8SegP4

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 21:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UviaH5esJVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UviaH5esJVs

rocketsocks
02-28-2013, 21:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPZspFMrwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPZspFMrwM

rocketsocks
04-16-2013, 15:25
Hey Now!

just picked up a full length collectors Edition of Rolling stone Magazine, 98 pages of nothing but dead, and a few adds, but not many!21130on your news stands now!

smithcj06
04-16-2013, 17:21
Further Stream tonight!!!

http://www.ustream.tv/new/search?q=taperrob#/channel/taperrob

Hairbear
04-16-2013, 18:45
Nice....A little Sunday morning music for ye

A real nice "Dark Star" Killer,nice choice ...............

Deer Hunter
04-16-2013, 21:25
Hey Now!

just picked up a full length collectors Edition of Rolling stone Magazine, 98 pages of nothing but dead, and a few adds, but not many!21130on your news stands now!

Thanks for the heads up RS. Gonna have to pick up a copy.

hikerboy57
04-16-2013, 21:41
Tennesee,tennesee,there aint no place id rather be...

Hops53
04-16-2013, 22:44

too true!!

gunner76
04-16-2013, 22:52
Glad I got to see them live. One of the best concerts I have attended.

rocketsocks
04-17-2013, 03:17
for you festive types show going Northbounders :sun

http://thepeachmusicfestival.com/index.html

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 07:03
We have Further playing in Gilford NH, in July. We come back from the Colorado Trail in July and then get to see them 2 days later. Dark Star Orchestra is playing in Hampton Beach, tickets just arrived, Allman's are doing a late summer show back at Gilford, NH in August, Govt Mule is playing 2 nights in Boston. We have had a good run of announcements up here lately. Oh and the summer ends in North Adams with Fresh Grass in late September (Del McCoury, Leftover Salmon, Infamous Stringdusters, Sam Bush, Dr. Ralph Stanley)

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 07:05
Further Stream tonight!!!

http://www.ustream.tv/new/search?q=taperrob#/channel/taperrob
Hands down one of the most amazing shows we have seen. I saw the GD in the early 90's a few times, saw Ratdog at Allgood. My wife scored us 5th row tickets to Further in 2009. Stella Blue is one of the songs that got me listening to them and they played it in Asheville. Hope to get a Dark Star and Mourning Dew in Gilford....

Chaco Taco
04-17-2013, 07:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU0IeofyqN8

Another Kevin
04-17-2013, 07:39

Except maybe Virginia? I hear you're headed in that direction. :)

rocketsocks
04-17-2013, 08:40
Hands down one of the most amazing shows we have seen. I saw the GD in the early 90's a few times, saw Ratdog at Allgood. My wife scored us 5th row tickets to Further in 2009. Stella Blue is one of the songs that got me listening to them and they played it in Asheville. Hope to get a Dark Star and Mourning Dew in Gilford....Stella Blue...one of my all time favorites! thanks for all the info Chaco Taco.

DandT40
04-17-2013, 14:29
Ah this thread made a boring day at work go a little sweeter! Glad to know there are plenty of other dead heads around. Keep the good tunes comin! :)

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 15:33
21443Well if you like the dead... Like me, you probably love Bob, so here it is on the news stands now... Some really Great interviews over the years... Really enjoying reading this one.

Luddite
05-03-2013, 16:31
I like American Beauty but that's about it.

21443Well if you like the dead... Like me, you probably love Bob, so here it is on the news stands now... Some really Great interviews over the years... Really enjoying reading this one.

A friend of mine bought me that magazine, It's pretty awesome.

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:38
saw the dead at the garden with nrps, jerry on pedal steel.saw them around 20 times over the years capital in passaic was a great theatre to see a show. the palladium was formerly called the academy of music, which was basically fillmore east in a different venue.i was a bit too young for the fillmore.used to go to 2 or 3 shows a week at the academy.(the good seats were $5.50)Ah man I just remembered this....we had 4th row center seats for this show, and your right we came up with the extra scratch to get the best seats we could...man that extra 2 bucks was well worth it, hehe. funny how the light goes on sometimes...Bing!

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:46
funny i can't remember if I was at this show or not, 87' must have been a rough year :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-XBSnTF-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS-XBSnTF-s

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3asHFYvUUUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3asHFYvUUUA

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Lel3exEP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Lel3exEP4

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-RUnHBWmqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-RUnHBWmqg

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR1uqm4ZgYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR1uqm4ZgYs

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 17:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlEHUayEEJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlEHUayEEJs

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhqvOa5Ghaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhqvOa5Ghaw

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1_MgttlUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1_MgttlUM

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79IIwZigY0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79IIwZigY0

rocketsocks
05-03-2013, 18:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1uI-x0vPs

Luddite
05-03-2013, 21:47
Nice! I love The Last Waltz.

Hairbear
05-04-2013, 10:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1uI-x0vPs May you have a strong foundation when the winds of change come.

rocketsocks
05-05-2013, 21:20
Anybody read Dylan's autobiography "Chronicles" volume one, it's a really good read, and I like his style of writing...very easy going, lots of stories. And this for once is him talking...not others trying to interpret him, and getting it all wrong.

Chaco Taco
05-05-2013, 22:33
you guys do know that Bobby collapsed on stage in Port Chester, NY a couple of weeks ago and is now in rehab.....

jfarrell04
05-05-2013, 23:32
you guys do know that Bobby collapsed on stage in Port Chester, NY a couple of weeks ago and is now in rehab.....

That "Bobby" would be Mr. Weir, not Mr. Dylan. Mr. Dylan just completed his latest leg of the Neverending Tour this evening in Florida.

Chaco Taco
05-06-2013, 05:59
That "Bobby" would be Mr. Weir, not Mr. Dylan. Mr. Dylan just completed his latest leg of the Neverending Tour this evening in Florida.
Well it is Bobby to us Deadheads. Bob Dylan is just Bob Dylan :)

rocketsocks
05-06-2013, 22:24
you guys do know that Bobby collapsed on stage in Port Chester, NY a couple of weeks ago and is now in rehab.....No, sure didn't thanks for that update. Hope he's doin fine, I see he has some shows coming up with Bob this summer.

direwolflove
05-07-2013, 14:05
Hey yaal I love the dead actually really obsessed haha. I play bass and sing all dead/jerry band stuff too.. Never done any long distance hiking before, but will be doing Springer to Marion Va in June very excited!!

direwolflove
05-07-2013, 14:10
I was at the show, it was very hard to watch. The first set Bobby forgot what was going on during me and my uncle but they pulled it together. The whole second set was very hard to watch and they ended early and came out later without Bob to finish the set and encore :( I wasnt going to go to the Atlantic City show after that but after seeing Bob like that I had to go, couldnt change my flight or anything it was worth it though I was also very worried about Bob. Bob sounded great and really killed it at that show, lets hope everything is ok.

rocketsocks
05-07-2013, 14:15
I was at the show, it was very hard to watch. The first set Bobby forgot what was going on during me and my uncle but they pulled it together. The whole second set was very hard to watch and they ended early and came out later without Bob to finish the set and encore :( I wasnt going to go to the Atlantic City show after that but after seeing Bob like that I had to go, couldnt change my flight or anything it was worth it though I was also very worried about Bob. Bob sounded great and really killed it at that show, lets hope everything is ok.Wow, I mean he's always blown the lyrics (but who cares, that was always a part of his charm for me....jerry would give him a little look, and then he'd get it back on track..funny really) but this sounds like somethin else....man all the cool bands are getting older, but ain't we all.

Chaco Taco
05-07-2013, 14:42
I was at the show, it was very hard to watch. The first set Bobby forgot what was going on during me and my uncle but they pulled it together. The whole second set was very hard to watch and they ended early and came out later without Bob to finish the set and encore :( I wasnt going to go to the Atlantic City show after that but after seeing Bob like that I had to go, couldnt change my flight or anything it was worth it though I was also very worried about Bob. Bob sounded great and really killed it at that show, lets hope everything is ok.
I streamed the AC show and Bobby was killin it. He is in rehab for something, not much coming out as to what is going on. Im going to see Further when they come up here and cant wait. I know the Napa show was cancelled.

Hairbear
05-07-2013, 21:32
Wow, I mean he's always blown the lyrics (but who cares, that was always a part of his charm for me....jerry would give him a little look, and then he'd get it back on track..funny really) but this sounds like somethin else....man all the cool bands are getting older, but ain't we all. Rocketsocks you get my vote for flower child of the month.

Hairbear
05-07-2013, 21:34
Man what i woulnt give for it to be 1976 again.

direwolflove
05-08-2013, 00:41
I streamed the AC show and Bobby was killin it. He is in rehab for something, not much coming out as to what is going on. Im going to see Further when they come up here and cant wait. I know the Napa show was cancelled.

Ya man AC was beautiful stuff! He was definitley F'd up at Port Chester. I hope to go the New Hampshire show (i hear you can camp at the venue) and Boston shows, but not sure I am a midwesterner so its hard. Never seen Furthur in the summer. Have seen Phil and friends and Ratdog in the summer though.

rocketsocks
05-08-2013, 01:27
Rocketsocks you get my vote for flower child of the month.Where have all the flowers gone? hehe

Man what i woulnt give for it to be 1976 again.1980 for me...after that things got a little ef'd up...wouldn't mind doin it over though, but would do it a little bit different ;)

hugs are better than drugs :)

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 10:44
I caught a few of these covers...at different shows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9bE0WnICw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e9bE0WnICw

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 10:47
Hey yaal I love the dead actually really obsessed haha. I play bass and sing all dead/jerry band stuff too.. Never done any long distance hiking before, but will be doing Springer to Marion Va in June very excited!!So how did ya make out? hope your hike went well.

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 12:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99KKaiSuYk

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 12:54
songs like that youd think they were acid heads

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 13:24
songs like that youd think they were acid headsI remember when someone first pointed out the acronym to me...earth shattering day it was.:sun

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 13:26
I remember when someone first pointed out the acronym to me...earth shattering day it was.:sun
john lennon insisted it was coincidence.

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 13:28
john lennon insisted it was coincidence.Now i've heard every thing!

hikerboy57
06-13-2013, 13:29
Now i've heard every thing!
(well he was probably tripping when he said it)

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 13:34
(well he was probably tripping when he said it)he probably said it cause they (the Gov) were looking to deport them.

MrMiner2
06-13-2013, 13:59
I'm pretty young so unfortunately never saw Jerry Dead. That being said I'm a big fan 60+ GBs of dead on my hard drive. Seen Phil and friends a few time. Furthur a few.

Phish 19 times including super ball 9 festival. Many other festivals, favorite being Phish fest or Bear Creek 2011.

Railroad Earth is a favorite of mine seen them a lot.

The Necks
Tony Rice
Bill Monroe
Talking Heads
Charles Mingus
Miles D
Herbie Hancock
John Coltrane
Charles Bradles
Sharon Jones
Alison Krauss
Smashing P's
Panic
String Cheese Incident
Umphreys McGee
The Fritz
Faces
Frank Zappa
Monophonics
The Malah
BB King
Dwayne Burnside
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
Rolling Stones
Yes
UK
Rush
Mars Volta
Blind Faith
Cream
Traffic
Derek and the Dominoes
Warren Haynes and his many related bands
Allman bros before and with warren
Greg allman
Dwayne allman
Derek Trucks Band
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Sigur Ros
Animal Collective
Tame Impala
Yonder Mountain
Town Mountain
13th story elevators
The byrds
The united states of America
Country joe and the fish?
Nine Inch Nails
Tool
moe.
Parliament
Dumpstaphunk
Meters
Brick
Earth wind and fire
Billy Joel
Simon and garfunkal
Paul simon
Jonathan scales fourchestra
Black Sabbath
My morning jacket
Bob Dylan
Les Claypool and all his various things like primus
David grisman
Jerry Garcia band
Reconstruction
Del mccoury
Keller Williams

TOO MANY MORE TO Name!!!

MrMiner2
06-13-2013, 14:00
Any one Phantasy Tour?

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 14:09
I'm pretty young so unfortunately never saw Jerry Dead. That being said I'm a big fan 60+ GBs of dead on my hard drive. Seen Phil and friends a few time. Furthur a few.

Phish 19 times including super ball 9 festival. Many other festivals, favorite being Phish fest or Bear Creek 2011.

Railroad Earth is a favorite of mine seen them a lot.

The Necks
Tony Rice
Bill Monroe
Talking Heads
Charles Mingus
Miles D
Herbie Hancock
John Coltrane
Charles Bradles
Sharon Jones
Alison Krauss
Smashing P's
Panic
String Cheese Incident
Umphreys McGee
The Fritz
Faces
Frank Zappa
Monophonics
The Malah
BB King
Dwayne Burnside
Robert Johnson
Muddy Waters
Rolling Stones
Yes
UK
Rush
Mars Volta
Blind Faith
Cream
Traffic
Derek and the Dominoes
Warren Haynes and his many related bands
Allman bros before and with warren
Greg allman
Dwayne allman
Derek Trucks Band
Tedeschi Trucks Band
Sigur Ros
Animal Collective
Tame Impala
Yonder Mountain
Town Mountain
13th story elevators
The byrds
The united states of America
Country joe and the fish?
Nine Inch Nails
Tool
moe.
Parliament
Dumpstaphunk
Meters
Brick
Earth wind and fire
Billy Joel
Simon and garfunkal
Paul simon
Jonathan scales fourchestra
Black Sabbath
My morning jacket
Bob Dylan
Les Claypool and all his various things like primus
David grisman
Jerry Garcia band
Reconstruction
Del mccoury
Keller Williams

TOO MANY MORE TO Name!!!that's an impressive list there, lots of great music.

Yeah know....It wasn't but a few years ago that started back listening to music to the extent that I do these days, this I attribute directly to the hand me down Ipod that my daughter gave me...I love my Ipod and would not want to be without one ever again. Sure I had a Walkman (or my wife did) but life was just to busy back then (starting a family and working all the time) to sit around listening to music, Now I walk everywhere...and it's always with music or an audio book....and I love it...so glad that technology has come to be....it's awesome! and has allowed me to revisit some really fantastic tunes of yesteryear...thanks Ipod

MDSection12
06-13-2013, 14:27
Talking Heads! :banana

I've seen Railroad Earth a couple times, they're fantastic! :)

rocketsocks
06-13-2013, 15:44
Talking Heads! :banana

I've seen Railroad Earth a couple times, they're fantastic! :)Now never let it be said that I wouldn't drift a thread.....hehe:D....I have....your on your own:D:)

PS...I like the talking heads

hikerboy57
08-23-2013, 22:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcaDj5oyLa0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcaDj5oyLa0

hikerboy57
08-23-2013, 22:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHpZXsGlHBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHpZXsGlHBU

hikerboy57
08-23-2013, 22:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNFp9T_GT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNFp9T_GT4

Hill Ape
08-23-2013, 23:09

Oh wow. Thank you so much for resurrecting this thread. And thanks for this video socks. That was the last time I saw jerry. This was the encore of the last show in Atlanta.

Hill Ape
08-23-2013, 23:13
Wait wait, this is 93, strike what I said

hobbs
08-23-2013, 23:47
My first show was 89 25th anviversary tour With Crosby stills and Nash opening.My sister bought the tickets..I became a phish and WSP fan latter..