PDA

View Full Version : Campmor 20 down replacement

Charlie Redwood
01-22-2013, 22:44
I've read the great reviews on here about the Campmor 20 down sleeping bag, but unfortunately that bag is discontinued. What is the next great bag that has quality workmanship and has great value packed features for the backpacker starting out?

Pendragon
01-22-2013, 23:39
I decided on a Kelty Galactic 15 down hoody, which is a rectangular bag, which I choose because I am a side/stomach sleeper and felt a mummy would be to restrictive, and I could afford it, but as backpacking gear goes, many would say it's way to heavy at around 3 lbs. AND, perhaps the temp rating is rather generous consider the fill is only 550 power.

Another Kevin
01-23-2013, 00:05
REI Radiant is another old standby, if you can catch it on sale.

Mags
01-23-2013, 00:50
Kelty Cosmic down. $100. Generally good
Reviews Http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/kelty_cosmic_down_20_sleeping_bag_review.html

The Snowman
01-23-2013, 19:23
EMS has a couple of nice priced bags.

mrcoffeect
01-25-2013, 09:45
I love my REI igneo 20. I've cowboy camped with it down to the single digits, but i wear silk and merino wool base layer with that, come to think of it I love them too!:)

MuddyWaters
01-27-2013, 04:31
The kelty cosmic down 20 is a respectable bag for the money.
Sierra Designs and a few other mfgs also make them in that class too.

Be advised the bags arent just heavier due to low fill quality down, they also lack DWR fabrics and will soak up moisture readily.

You truly get what you pay for with bags. in most cases, a high quality used bag would be a better choice than a low quality new bag.

not_possible
02-02-2013, 00:23
I spent countless hours reading reviews and debating synthetic vs down and how much I wanted to spend on a new bag about 6 months ago. I bought a brand new sealed military MSS on ebay for just over $70 shipped. The woodland version not the newer more expensive ACU one. It is synthetic and not super light, in fact all 3 parts probably borders on 10lbs. However, for that $70ish I got the Gore-Tex bivy, intermediate bag, and patrol bag which has worked for me comfortably down to 35 degrees wearing a lightweight synthetic top, fleece like pj bottoms, and Drymax Lite socks. I was in a Eureka TCOP tent fully zipped, the one without the mesh top. I was using my Big Agnes Q Core pad inside the bivy as well, but I use the bivy to hold the pad in place under the bag and it wasn't zipped up or fully covering me. I haven't tried the intermediate bag alone since it hasn't been cold enough to need, but it is bulky and not light. That said, I'm starting my thru hike mid April to mid May and have opted to bring my patrol bag and maybe a liner opposed to spending money on a new down bag.