PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions in TN and SVA

dmperkins74
01-23-2013, 08:14
Hi there everyone,

I've got plans to hike this weekend in southern VA (Sinking Creek Valley area) and in northern TN (Dennis Cove Rd area) this weekend. Can anybody tell me how much snow (if any) is on the trail in either of those areas?

Also, I usually look at this intellicast map (http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx) for snow cover, but it's obviously not accurate since it's currently showing whole swaths of snow that currently don't exist. Anyone know of similar resources out there?

Thanks,
dp

joshuasdad
01-23-2013, 11:04
The resources I looked at made it look like there was little to no snow left in those areas. Based on the cold temperatures now, and because the map does not indicate accumulations less than 2 inches (and may be incorrect on mountain areas), you could have quite a bit of ice though. Microspikes may be a must, either way from VA42. Lots of sloped ledges on the hike NOBO from VA42, and the descent off the mountain on the hike SOBO from VA42 is pretty rocky and narrow. I'd bring them to Dennis Cove, especially if hiking anywhere NOBO from Dennis Cove/Kincora, again, some steep rock sections, as well as a interesting ledge right by what may be a raging creek.

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 11:28
I would plan for both ice and snow on the trail in SW Virginia... just a gut feeling with all the snow we got but then followed by sun & warm temps. It's bitter cold right now tho.

fredmugs
01-23-2013, 11:51
The guy I hike with uses NOAA for snow depth amounts.

Alleghanian Orogeny
01-23-2013, 12:04
Be advised of the forecast from Raysweather.com which calls for 1-3" of snow and/or sleet for Ashe Co, NC, at the triple-point NC-VA-NC border, just 40 miles or so as the crow flies from your area of interest. Precip expected from noon Friday into Saturday am. They're also looking at NW winds @ 10-20 mph Friday night.

AO

topshelf
01-23-2013, 12:19
yes it is supposed to snow this weekend. Snow cover depends on which side of the valley youre on up here in the New River Valley. eastern slopes are pretty snow free, western slopes with no sun still have a few inches of snow/ice. The ridgelines over towards sinking creek are still covered as well. Just my observation from my porch looking over towards sinking creek.

Tennessee Viking
01-23-2013, 14:48
I was on the MST and higher elevations just outside of Boone NC last weekend. And it had anywhere of 1-3" on trail to knee deep snow drifts in open areas. But a lot of it was melting a couple days later.

Since most of the trail north of Dennis Cove Road is mostly tree covered, it shouldn't be too bad. You probably will not encounter too many of ice sheets until Virginia. You might encounter some deep snow at Osborne Farm. The hardest ascents on the Tennessee trail will be Pond Mountain. A lot of it will be newly relocated trail but the some of tread is very rocky.

VA will probably be a totally different story.