PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lakes Trail-need help

mrc237
06-06-2005, 08:27
I originaly posted this in a wrong place . Hopefully I get a better response here. Neo suggested reading Sparrowhawks journal and it was helpful but not enough I need info on resupply etc. Anybody here have any experience or information about this trail? I am in the process of section hiking the PCT (1000 mi LY) but thinking of scrapping TY (because of snow) seems to be too much of an effort to travel there (Reno from NY) just for a 6 week hike. I've checked out the web site but first hand info is the best.>-----------------------EZ

Frosty
06-06-2005, 08:31
I originaly posted this in a wrong place . Hopefully I get a better response here. Neo suggested reading Sparrowhawks journal and it was helpful but not enough I need info on resupply etc. Did you GOOGLE FInger Lakes Trail? There is a guidebook and maps available.

mrc237
06-06-2005, 12:15
Found it - ordered map set and guide still looking for 1st hand info though--THANKS>---------------EZ

Toolshed
06-06-2005, 17:38
I used to live in NYS near the Finger Lakes and used to hike the FLT on and off since the mid-90's. I still get back a few times a summer now.
Most of my experience has been concentrated West of Watkins Glen.
I recal there being a lot of slab side hiking and still a few old dirt roads you will follow on and off. The trail hits some small towns and you are never really far form civilization, though it is likely you will meet few backpackers except scouts on weekends. You will meet more dayhikers.

THE FLT gives you an idea of how huge, mountainous and undeveloped most of NYS is. Hiking is always up and down, up and down - Especially since the Trail runs E&W and the mountain valleys all run North and South. Gives you an idea of how powerful the glaciers really were. Most of the mountains are sedimentary, slate and shale.

BTW, when you get to the top of a mountain usually around 2000 feet, look around - All the mountains south of you will plateau out at the same elevation and drop to sea level as you look north. The ~ 2000 feet elevation level was the actual height of land across into PA. The huge rounded valleys were formed by the Glaciers and run off. So, when on a mountain you are really on the level height of land, if you get a chance to look at a satellite pic of NYS, you will see what I mean.

BTW, I am no geologist and I never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.