PDA

View Full Version : Paracord

RedRunnerJumper
01-23-2013, 09:46
For bear bags, What is the length of Paracord most people purchase? and Where is a good place to purchase it?

joe cool
01-23-2013, 09:54
hello red runner I use about 60 feet ( In case I need to fix something) and you can get it at outfitters, wallyworld has some of it to but I do not like it hope this will help joe cool

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 10:00
For bear bags, What is the length of Paracord most people purchase? and Where is a good place to purchase it?

You will find that most don't hang a bear bag. The following video explains it well. I deviate from him in the following manners. I tied a monkey-fist knot and attached to my 50' of paracord. This removes the need for a rock. It is more mass than weight that is needed. Also, the other end can be tied to the bear bag while throwing the monkey-fist. Where you buy it is not as important as the type. There may be a temptation to get ultra-thin nylon. Don't do it. It tangles too easily. Also, a bright color is useful. I bought mine a Reny's. That is a local version of Wal*Mart. Actually Reny's was around before Wal*Mart. But that is another story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

degritz
01-23-2013, 10:04
Your bear bag should hang between 3-4 metres off the ground, and the length of 550 needed will vary with the height of the surrounding trees. 10 metres is the least you should carry for bagging. I would recommend more though, as you will find that it is useful in many other ways. I carry 40-50, and have been glad of the extra length many times.

Fur Queue
01-23-2013, 10:09
You will find that most don't hang a bear bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgBLDMuPuvE

What then do most people do?

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 10:15
What then do most people do?

Most don't. You would have to ask them. Some may be still stinging from the last debate. I know I am not going to start it.

Karma13
01-23-2013, 10:31
Some people sleep with their food. It's an ongoing discussion.

Also, it's argued that paracord isn't the way to go: too heavy. I've got 50 feet of Dyneema cord from Zpacks.

slims
01-23-2013, 10:35
50 feet is plenty. You can order it online, get it at an outfitter or military surplus store. It's pretty cheap no matter where you get it.

RedRunnerJumper
01-23-2013, 10:39
Ya not quite sure what I will get exactly, but I will keep my eyes open. Didnt see anything at EMS will check REI sometime, maybe they have some type of paracord...

Fur Queue
01-23-2013, 10:47
Most don't. You would have to ask them. Some may be still stinging from the last debate. I know I am not going to start it.

Im not interested in debate and I'm not interested in anyone who tells someone else what is right or wrong....I'm interested in people's experience and knowledge and what works for them and I will chew it all over and make my choices! :)

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 10:53
Ya not quite sure what I will get exactly, but I will keep my eyes open. Didnt see anything at EMS will check REI sometime, maybe they have some type of paracord...

Try not to over think this one. You don't need to go to LLBean for a toothbrush and you don't need space-age twine. If you are inclined to hang a bear bag, paracord at Wally World is fine. It comes in 50' lengths and a few different colors. It doesn't come with a lifetime guarantee, but you can buy a lifetime supply for what you would pay at rei. Rei is a great store... for tent, packs, etc.

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 10:56
Im not interested in debate and I'm not interested in anyone who tells someone else what is right or wrong....I'm interested in people's experience and knowledge and what works for them and I will chew it all over and make my choices! :)

Me too. I am not pleased with the last debate. I think I could have said a couple of things better. I do not want to be the bear bag police, but some took my words that way. Do a search on this site. You will find plenty of opinions. I don't mean to be evasive. I would love to state my opinion again. But, like I said, I am not starting or contributing to this debate again.

Fur Queue
01-23-2013, 11:06
Me too. I am not pleased with the last debate. I think I could have said a couple of things better. I do not want to be the bear bag police, but some took my words that way. Do a search on this site. You will find plenty of opinions. I don't mean to be evasive. I would love to state my opinion again. But, like I said, I am not starting or contributing to this debate again.

I understand...I will do a search later. I will have my teenage boy with me...and possibly two of his friends...so safety is paramount for me...I have to bring them all home to Momma! If something goes wrong I'd prefer if it wasn't because of a poor decision on my part!

Dyneema is angling braided line! Not sure what zpacks sells it for but you can get 150 yards of Power Pro 100lb test for twenty five bucks at Wallyworld....enough to kit out a bus load of hikers....be nasty if you get a tangle though....your bag maybe staying up in the tree!

tds1195
01-23-2013, 11:07
I use 50ft. The video posted by Fur is pretty good.

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 11:12
I use 50ft. The video posted by Fur is pretty good.

Actually that was me that posted the video. I do so many stupid things on this site, I should get credit when I do a good one. :)

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 11:14
be nasty if you get a tangle though....your bag maybe staying up in the tree!

You could always cut the tree down. If you do, be sure to carve your name in the stump. See... there I go again... saying something stupid.

tds1195
01-23-2013, 11:16
Actually that was me that posted the video. I do so many stupid things on this site, I should get credit when I do a good one. :)
My bad BirdBrain! Props to you :)

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 11:23
You could always cut the tree down. If you do, be sure to carve your name in the stump. See... there I go again... saying something stupid.

You're funny... I like you!! :)

WingedMonkey
01-23-2013, 11:30
And another thru-hiker specific thread goes to the clowns.

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 11:42
You're funny... I like you!! :)

I'm having a flashback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AtBBVZ73U

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 11:46
And another thru-hiker specific thread goes to the clowns.

I am sorry. I truly am. I did not see that this was specific topic thread. I will be good.... here.

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 11:52
Some people sleep with their food. It's an ongoing discussion.

Also, it's argued that paracord isn't the way to go: too heavy. I've got 50 feet of Dyneema cord from Zpacks.

I should not have summarily dismissed Dyneema cord. Honestly, I don't know what it is. This is about learning. I already have my paracord, but will look at Dyneema when I have a chance. I like paracord because it does not tangle easily, does not cut into hands, is strong enough, and light enough for me.

Karma13
01-23-2013, 12:00
I should not have summarily dismissed Dyneema cord. Honestly, I don't know what it is. This is about learning. I already have my paracord, but will look at Dyneema when I have a chance. I like paracord because it does not tangle easily, does not cut into hands, is strong enough, and light enough for me.

Well said. Thank you.

Hey, I've got both. I've got literally hundreds of feet of paracord in enough colors to make a rainbow jealous. I've also got a few hundred feet of Dyneema. I'm taking 60 feet of that for my thru, coming up in March, based on recommendations about weight and bulk. For a short trip, I'd probably go with 60 feet of the paracord. For a longer trip where ounces and inches matter, I'll take the suggestion from wiser heads than mine, and try some of the lighter options.

Feral Bill
01-23-2013, 12:53
All paracord is not equal. Look for the harder, stiffer stuff, It wears better and is less inclined to tangle.

flemdawg1
01-23-2013, 13:06
Masonry cord/twine works fine too, lighter than paracord. Also good for tent/tarp guylines, replacing shock cord on your pack,and even as shoe lacing.

Malto
01-23-2013, 14:17
I use a 50' bear line from mountain laural designs. Much lighter and smaller than para cord and it is much slicker than para. The slickness will help you hoist up heavier food loads.

bigcranky
01-23-2013, 14:22
Paracord tends to stretch too much for me. I like a good dyneema cord, nice and slippery so it doesn't jam on the branch. Like this one, for example (scroll down to second item.) (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml)

BirdBrain
01-23-2013, 14:44
Paracord tends to stretch too much for me. I like a good dyneema cord, nice and slippery so it doesn't jam on the branch. Like this one, for example (scroll down to second item.) (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml)

I am getting more interrested. Which diameter would you suggest? My knee-jerk reaction is that the thickest would be best so as to minimize cutting hand.

MDSection12
01-23-2013, 15:00
I have a 50' length of paracord in my pack at all times. If I ever end up with some Dyneema I'm not using I'll replace it... But I won't go out of my way for the small benefits that it would offer.

colorado_rob
01-23-2013, 15:49
I sure like that Dyneema stuff, and I use it for just about everything these days, for reasons already stated, but worth re-stating: Strong, light, not stretchy. I use the reflective variety for all my tent guy lines. Yep, kinda expensive, but really not bad in the grand scheme of things (personal justification for spending even more $$$). And yep, 50 feet seems about right for hanging food bags, never really needed that much, but nice to have a little extra.

BTW: A buddy of mine had his tent shredded by a black bear WHILE HE WAS IN IT, out here in Colorado (lake Como, foot of Little Bear Peak). My wife had her pack, containing residual food only (trash), shredded by a bear in CA. I would not ever consider sleeping with my food anywhere in bear country. I don't care how many assurances I get from AT veterans; na-ga-da.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2013, 15:58
your food is safer with you
you are safer with your food in a tree
UL spectra /dynema lines are slick, dont absorb water and get heavy, extremely strong and abrasion resistant, and only cost $15

colorado_rob
01-23-2013, 16:02
you are safer with your food in a tree Very Well put.

Fur Queue
01-23-2013, 16:11
you are safer with your food in a tree
UL spectra /dynema lines are slick, dont absorb water and get heavy, extremely strong and abrasion resistant, and only cost $15

Great post..thank you!

Rocket Jones
01-23-2013, 19:56
I carry about 15' of paracord for a clothesline and misc. cordage needs. For hanging my food, 60' of *braided* mason's line does the trick. Neon pink for visibility and strong enough to hoist three full food bags.

abbykat234
01-23-2013, 20:29
I found paracord at walmart in the fishing section.

bigcranky
01-23-2013, 20:34
I am getting more interrested. Which diameter would you suggest? My knee-jerk reaction is that the thickest would be best so as to minimize cutting hand.

Yes, the thick one for that reason. I use a flat woven dyneema cord from BPL that is no longer available. I paid a LOT more for it, too. This looks like a good deal.

HikerMom58
01-23-2013, 20:44
I'm having a flashback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AtBBVZ73U

LOL... why am i not surprised!?! You're so :cool: Ooopsss ... back to the topic at hand.

I believe in hanging all my food while on the trail. I came up with a nice idea for hanging my food when there wasn't a bear cable available. I found a (well made) small zippered pouch with a loop on it. Got some lightweight but very durable cord. (don't know what it is exactly but it worked perfectly) I stored the cord in the zippered pouch. Then, when we needed to hang our food we found some rocks on the ground, took out the cord, loaded up the rocks in the pouch, tied the cord to the loop and threw the line over the tree limb etc... Then, when packing up the next day, I just threw out the rocks, put the cord back in the pouch and was good to go. I guess I should have stacked the rocks. ;P

bigcranky
01-23-2013, 21:20
One issue I always had setting up a bear hang was getting the dang rope over the branch. Little rocks don't work. Best thing I ever found to weight the end of the line to get it over the tree was my partner's half-full Nalgene bottle. (You think I would carry one of those things? Nah.)

Tinker
01-23-2013, 23:45
Very thin line can cut into tree branches, damaging them (or so I'm told). Makes sense. I've also been told that wider versions of Dyneema are fine. I have some that's flat, about 2mm wide and coated with a yellow substance that helps it to hold a slip knot better. I've been using that for the past three years and it works fine. Fwiw, if you have an object securely tied to the throwing end of the line and it wedges securely in a tree branch you might be forced to cut it off and leave it there. I've seen the results of this. I use a very small stuffsack into which I insert a rock. Then I use a small twig with the cord tied around it as a toggle which I insert through the draw cord in the stuff sack. I then back up the spring loaded plastic barrel (forget what it's called at the moment) so that the twig toggle is held securely enough to withstand a few tosses. If the bag gets jammed in a tree, I can pull hard on the line and the twig will break (theoretically- I haven't needed to put it to use in this manner yet) and I should be able to retrieve the line (and the throwing bag, too).

BirdBrain
01-24-2013, 01:18
One issue I always had setting up a bear hang was getting the dang rope over the branch. Little rocks don't work. Best thing I ever found to weight the end of the line to get it over the tree was my partner's half-full Nalgene bottle. (You think I would carry one of those things? Nah.)

I made a monkey fist knot out of cloths line and then tied a larger monkey fist knot over the 1st one using the same line. My knot is about the size of a baseball and weighs a couple of ounces. It can be thrown very hard and accurately. I find it is a matter of mass more than weight that makes the object fly easier. Here is a YouTube video that shows how to tie this knot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9w-T2d_NY